It takes a village.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

#26 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:06 pm

Judy, make sure you have flashlights handy, and I'd tie 'em to the pups, too, or at least put bells on them so you don't fall over them in the dark. Please be careful, and keep us updated as you're able.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#27 Post by AnnieCamaro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:58 pm

I sort of hate to admit this, but I'm starting to feel sorry for the squirrels, even the evil ones.

Most of their nests have come down into people's yards. I looked at both the nests in my yard, but there weren't any furry babies left inside. That's a good thing, since I wasn't faced with the problem of having to bring them inside to get them warm and tell them they're puppies.

I think my mom is kind of happy about that, too.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#28 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:22 pm

AnnieCamaro wrote:I sort of hate to admit this, but I'm starting to feel sorry for the squirrels, even the evil ones.

Most of their nests have come down into people's yards. I looked at both the nests in my yard, but there weren't any furry babies left inside. That's a good thing, since I wasn't faced with the problem of having to bring them inside to get them warm and tell them they're puppies.

I think my mom is kind of happy about that, too.

/:P\
Annie, stuff you might know about squirrel nests.

Gray squirrels use three different types of nest. Summer Dreys and Winter Dreys are conspicuous constructions of leaves and twigs mounted high in treetops. Winter Dreys are made in layers. The outer layer consists of interwoven twigs while an inner layer is built up with softer materials consisting of bark, leaves, moss, fur, grass, and “found” materials. They are resistant to winter winds and provide protection where den sites may be in short supply. Summer Dreys are less elaborate and provide minimal protection from the elements. They are less likely to be used for litters. Tree dens in hollow trees are the preferred nest sites for raising young.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

jayhawker536

#29 Post by jayhawker536 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:46 pm

On the way home an hour ago, I spoke of you Judy and what our southern neighbors got yesterday and today. As I was talking to hubby, it was raining hard but not freezing yet, the radio said that it was in Wellington (which is right on the border of Ok and Ks) and heading our way. They are predicting an inch of ice.

The generator is checked, plenty of gas in the can, batteries in the flashlights. I hope we don't have trouble with the water treatment plant. We told the crew that nothing we do is worth risking life and limb, anything can wait until it clears and we will let them work Saturday to make up lost hours if that is what they want, under no circumstance are they to travel on an inch of ice to get to work, so I expect I will be taking tomorrow off. Just wish I would have had the forsight to bring in some wood before it got wet and encased in ice. No use having two fireplaces and a cord of wood when the darn stuff is wet, not the smartest non-move we have made, we are both chalking it up to old age, lol.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: It takes a village.

#30 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:47 pm

Appa23 wrote:
ToLiveIsToFly wrote:
Appa23 wrote:[We have used hot water before to get into a frozen car.
I worry that this runs the risk of cracking any glass it comes in contact with.
Maybe I should have been more specific.

Hot water on lock and door crease.

We never poured hot water on windows.

Someone at work poured hot water on their windshield after last year's ice storm. Shattered all over the place....

lb13

ghostjmf

#31 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:19 pm

I was icy-snowed last February, &, after hopping around with a badly sprained ankle de-icing all the windows on car, decided the car-roof ice could wait.

Bad idea. On the highway, I heard horrendous cracking noise, & then half the ice slid off the car roof. Luckily, it didn't hurt anybody or any thing. I pulled over to slide the rest of the now-loosened ice pack off.

Later, I heard on TV of traffic accidents caused by just such sliding ice packs that did hit where they'd hurt.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#32 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:47 pm

I love stories like SC's. Scott Adams posted a similar story a while back, claiming to have proof that there really are angels because he saw them in the form of two burly teenagers who pushed his busted car off to the side of a crowded street before he was run over by bargain-crazed Christmas shoppers.

I've never seen an ice storm in person and hope I don't! RadioDude explained that rain or snow falls through a thin layer of warm air that's come up from the Gulf of Mexico, then even if it was snow it continues on down as rain, but the ground or whatever it hits has been chilling for days under the arctic blast from the north, so the rain freezes instantly.

We're not exempt here from frozen car doors; the last time it happened to me I ran three extension cords out the car with my hairdryer on the end. Took a couple minutes, but I was soon happily on my way to earning legal tender to keep my doggie and kittycats in doggie biscuits and kitty nuggets.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#33 Post by kayrharris » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:00 pm

I'm telling you, insurance companies hate ice storms. It's a disaster that is very close to a hurricane in that it is widespread and usually the effects last several days.

I'm glad everyone is OK so far and hope things continue to get better. It has been in the 80's here in Auburn as well. Something crazy is going to happen, I just know it. I think the spring flowers are all starting to bloom. At least I can keep the poinsettias outside for now.