Glowing Puppy

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: Glowing Puppy

#26 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:27 am

kayrharris wrote:
kayrharris wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote: I like a spontaneously combustible squirrel better.
Found it!
Editorial remark added:
And that's just mean...I hope you don't leave it up long...
Let me check with the avatar police and get back to you.....
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MissBeautifulRedSquirrel
Merry Man

#27 Post by MissBeautifulRedSquirrel » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:43 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
kayrharris wrote:
kayrharris wrote: Found it!
Editorial remark added:
Let me check with the avatar police and get back to you.....

That's us red squirrels, we are a fiery bunch....

He looks quite handsome. Can I have his phone number?

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#28 Post by AnnieCamaro » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:43 am

kayrharris wrote:Sort of off topic but on topic......

CBS Morning show had a segment on adopting Greyhounds this morning. Lots of good information
and they gave a website to visit for those interested.
Miss Kay, this important subject is NEVER off topic!

Adopting brownhounds is a good idea, too.

/ :P \
Sou iu koto de.

NellyLunatic1980

#29 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:46 am

kayrharris wrote:
kayrharris wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote: I like a spontaneously combustible squirrel better.
Found it!
Editorial remark added:
PETA will be knocking on his door very soon.

Sisyphean Fan
I Wanna Rock!

#30 Post by Sisyphean Fan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:16 am

christie1111 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Some scientists are trying to cure cancer.

Some scientists are trying to stop global climate change.

Some scientists are trying to find life on other planets.

And then there are scientists who are creating glow-in-the-dark dogs.

Wow. Just... wow.
This is sort of a dilemna for me too.

Some scientists just make body wash.

But I have talked to some people who say it makes them feel good and feel better about themselves. And I am okay with that. It isn't curing cancer, but I am not sure my skill set is a good fit for that research.

I did work in powder coatings where I felt like I was helping to minimize pollution, but I had to move along.

I don't understand why a glowing dog has value and it seems like borderline animal rights issue to me.
The world would be a poorer, sadder (and riper) place without body wash.
Push it real good!

tanstaafl2

#31 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:54 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
christie1111 wrote: I don't understand why a glowing dog has value and it seems like borderline animal rights issue to me.
I totally agree.
Maybe I missed something or this is tongue in cheek.

As the article points out the point was not to make the puppy glow just for grins but rather to be able to determine if one could successfully incorporate a functional gene from one species to another to aid in the research for genetic diseases. The flouresence is a marker to show that the process works and is the reason it is used. The other option if you did not have a visible marker would be to sacrifice the animal and do a genetic examination.

Now one may choose to ask about the ethics of genetic research (something I am certainly OK with if performed in a scientifically sound and humane manner, which seems to be the case here from the limited information available, given the vast potential for gain) but to suggest that it has no value and that it is a kind of experiment being conducted solely at the expense of the animal indicates one has not read the article thoroughly as that is not the case.

(Edited to add the first line)
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#32 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:02 am

CBS Morning show had a segment on adopting Greyhounds this morning. Lots of good information
Here is a link to the site:

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/

I have to say that adopting a greyhound changes your life. I think that my family has gotten a lot closer since adopting Zap. The kids really pitch in to make sure that he has what he needs. We are very lucky because Zap is such a good dog and just wants to please everyone. Jeff is still trying to get him to run after balls, but I think that the characteristic that makes him cat safe makes him uninterested in playing with balls.

My friend's daughter stayed at my house to Zapsit/Catsit/Rabbitsit/Housesit while we were in Mexico. Her family has a lab and when she went back home, she told her mom that there dog was too fat and it's head seemed abnormally large.

We still go to Hemopet every weekend. We've been volunteering since July and as of last weekend only two of the original dogs that were in Adoptions when we started are still there. Every week two or three of the dogs go to really good homes. (One of the dogs went to a home and we heard that his name had been changed to Edward. Maddie and I knew instantly that they had a teenage girl in the house. We met the family at Bubble Bath Day and sure enough the daughter named the dog after the Vamipire in Twilight. They also have a cat named Bella.)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#33 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:18 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:

Here is a link to the site:

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/

I have to say that adopting a greyhound changes your life. I think that my family has gotten a lot closer since adopting Zap. The kids really pitch in to make sure that he has what he needs. We are very lucky because Zap is such a good dog and just wants to please everyone. Jeff is still trying to get him to run after balls, but I think that the characteristic that makes him cat safe makes him uninterested in playing with balls.

My friend's daughter stayed at my house to Zapsit/Catsit/Rabbitsit/Housesit while we were in Mexico. Her family has a lab and when she went back home, she told her mom that there dog was too fat and it's head seemed abnormally large.

We still go to Hemopet every weekend. We've been volunteering since July and as of last weekend only two of the original dogs that were in Adoptions when we started are still there. Every week two or three of the dogs go to really good homes. (One of the dogs went to a home and we heard that his name had been changed to Edward. Maddie and I knew instantly that they had a teenage girl in the house. We met the family at Bubble Bath Day and sure enough the daughter named the dog after the Vamipire in Twilight. They also have a cat named Bella.)

Casey certainly lightened our lives.

She is going to get a little wakeup call this weekend. SteelersFan, who is wrapped around Casey's little paw, is going to Kansas for a turkey hunt, and I'm staying here to win a $14,000 home makeover, go to a concert featuring movie music artistically rearranged into symphonies (Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean), and other Important Items. One of which, incidentally, is NOT putting a few Cheerios on Casey's breakfast and other treats on her dinner. I don't know if four days is enough to break that particular habit; we'll find out.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MarleysGh0st

#34 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:21 am

SportsFan68 wrote: One of which, incidentally, is NOT putting a few Cheerios on Casey's breakfast and other treats on her dinner. I don't know if four days is enough to break that particular habit; we'll find out.
Poor Casey!

You just can't get good help, these days. :P

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#35 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:45 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote: One of which, incidentally, is NOT putting a few Cheerios on Casey's breakfast and other treats on her dinner. I don't know if four days is enough to break that particular habit; we'll find out.
Poor Casey!

You just can't get good help, these days. :P

LOL!

She'll forgive me when we go for a nice five-mile hike Saturday afternoon.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MarleysGh0st

#36 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:51 am

SportsFan68 wrote:She'll forgive me when we go for a nice five-mile hike Saturday afternoon.
Oh.

Well, that's more like it! :)

christie1111
11:11

#37 Post by christie1111 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:01 pm

one has not read the article thoroughly
Guilty as charged.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"