Retroactive good luck to Rafferbee

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Queen Fantine VIII
Her Majesty

Re: Retroactive good luck to Rafferbee

#101 Post by Queen Fantine VIII » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:00 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
For Friday's show
Congratulations on a great run, RB!!!!! Oh, but for that wicked final DD that did you in.... :evil: You made a killing in your 3 day run, and nobody deserves it more than you! You were a joy to watch and root for, and I would say that even if I didn't know you from the Bored....

Three cheers for Rafferbee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

lb13
Spoiler
Crap, Jeopardy is pre-empted here yesterday and today and I was hoping she'd win at least one more so I could see her on Monday.

Figures, first time I watch Jeopardy since wintergreen was merely a popette and it's during March Madness......
Exeunt Regina......

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#102 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:16 pm

frogman042 wrote:
ReigningJeopardyChamp wrote:Most people strive for the lock game, but I like being in the lead by just a little bit so I'm forced to bet it all!
Well, no one is stopping you from betting it all even when you have lock game :twisted:

Seriously, excluding Cliff from Cheers, has anyone in the history of J! who had a lock game ever bet enough to break their lock - so that they put themselves into a possible position of losing the game? I think there have been cases where they bet so that there is a possibility of a tie - but has there been anyone who bet more than that? Maybe this is a question for the J! board.

And of couse,
Spoiler
MEGAND Kudos on last night!!!!
Yes. Five-time champ Maria (I think her last name was Wenglinsky) did so, apparently by accident, in one of her games. She won anyway. I think it's happened one or two other times. I don't think, though, that it's ever cost anyone a win. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#103 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:20 pm

Today's result is up on the Jeopardy! board. (I just got back from four hours with the dentist.)
Spoiler for March 25.
I was hoping for at least one more victory so you could breathe easy regarding qualifying for the Tournament of Champions. As it is, though, I think you have a realistic chance. Here's hoping we get more opportunities to watch you in (I think) November.
--Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#104 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Spoiler
I guess you couldn't hear me yelling the right answer to your DD. Good run of games though. Here's hoping to see you again in the ToC.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#105 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Cover your ears, heels, because today's episode got preempted by another bleeping basketball game, for me! :evil:
Spoiler
Sorry that your run came to an end, but here's hoping you hold on to your #10 spot for the TOC, Megan, and that you can give Tom his rematch!

themanwho

#106 Post by themanwho » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:19 pm

For anyone who hasn't been able to see the games because of basketball, do a youtube search for (I think) "Rashad1428" . He's breaking all sorts of copyright laws, but he's also posting entire episodes of Jeopardy (and Wheel of Fortune) every day.

I'd post a link, but YouTube is blocked here at work.

-M
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

Rafferbee

#107 Post by Rafferbee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:44 pm

Spoiler
Well, it was quite a ride. I watched my game tonight with a reporter from the local news station. I told her I lost today, but she still wanted to interview me.

I'm conflicted. Part of me wants to root against all future three-time champions winning their fourth game, and part of me is thinking that they're going to hold the TOC taping right around my due date, so it might not be safe for me to be traveling cross-country then.

I can't complain. Winning on Jeopardy! was the thrill of a lifetime. Julie was a really smart buzzsaw. And she can bake a mean Jeopardy pie. http://www.blogher.com/month-pies-comes ... rumb=89426

heelsrule1988

#108 Post by heelsrule1988 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:07 pm

Spoiler
Darn. :(

Despite your high winnings total, Megan... I just don't think three wins is enough to get you into the TOC. Such a shame... but it was an absolute blast rooting for you! This definitely goes without saying, but you've made us all so, so proud. Congratulations on all of your Jeopardy success! :)
MarleysGh0st wrote:Cover your ears, heels, because today's episode got preempted by another bleeping basketball game, for me! :evil:
A game that was more important than any of the other ones... in my eyes, at least. :wink:

TheConfessor

#109 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:32 pm

heelsrule1988 wrote:
Spoiler
Darn. :(

Despite your high winnings total, Megan... I just don't think three wins is enough to get you into the TOC. Such a shame... but it was an absolute blast rooting for you! This definitely goes without saying, but you've made us all so, so proud. Congratulations on all of your Jeopardy success! :)
MarleysGh0st wrote:Cover your ears, heels, because today's episode got preempted by another bleeping basketball game, for me! :evil:
A game that was more important than any of the other ones... in my eyes, at least. :wink:
Spoiler
My understanding is that Megan is currently 12th in line for the next TOC, which might be next fall. So she's certainly in a precarious spot, but it's quite possible that there will be no more than three additional 4-time winners between now and the TOC.

Congratulations, Megan! I hope everything works out the way you want.

zachhoran1

#110 Post by zachhoran1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:54 am

Spoiler
Cyberial cigar uno to Julie for winning her first time, despite knocking off a possible TofCer in the process. If they held the TofC in May, Megan would be a TofC er. Well done Julie my dear(lights Julie's portofino)

MarleysGh0st

#111 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:46 am

Rafferbee wrote:
Spoiler
I'm conflicted. Part of me wants to root against all future three-time champions winning their fourth game, and part of me is thinking that they're going to hold the TOC taping right around my due date, so it might not be safe for me to be traveling cross-country then.
Spoiler
So you can win a TOC while in the early stages of labor. Think of the ratings! :mrgreen:

Rafferbee

#112 Post by Rafferbee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Oh, you know I would give birth on national TV if it meant I got into the TOC!

The 11 o'clock news on the Baltimore J! affiliate did a nice piece on me last night. But did they have to rely so much on clips from Friday's show?

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/region ... n-jeopardy

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#113 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Rafferbee wrote:Oh, you know I would give birth on national TV if it meant I got into the TOC!

The 11 o'clock news on the Baltimore J! affiliate did a nice piece on me last night. But did they have to rely so much on clips from Friday's show?

Nice story, but "She's smart" is NOT news to us!
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

a1mamacat

#114 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Megan I was at my Mom and Dad's last night, and they were so excited to learn that the "cute little girl" that they were watching was a Bored Buddy. They wanted me to tell you that you were adorable, and seemed to be so happy to be there and they wish you very well. :D
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

TheConfessor

#115 Post by TheConfessor » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Rafferbee wrote:Oh, you know I would give birth on national TV if it meant I got into the TOC!

I think all members of your family will be entitled to appear on Jeopardy if you have your anchor baby in Culver City.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#116 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:28 pm

I so hope it works out that your can do a ToC. You rock!!!
Well, then

peacock2121

#117 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:22 pm

I have seen your shows through Game 3.

I will watch Game 4 soon.

You are cute and fun and happy and a joy to watch being smart. You came across as not worried or stressed or intense, but just having fun while kicking some major intelligent ass. I want to be you!

I love your enthusiasm and how thrilled and proud and humble you are.

You rock!

wintergreen48

#118 Post by wintergreen48 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:54 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
frogman042 wrote:
ReigningJeopardyChamp wrote:Most people strive for the lock game, but I like being in the lead by just a little bit so I'm forced to bet it all!
Well, no one is stopping you from betting it all even when you have lock game :twisted:

Seriously, excluding Cliff from Cheers, has anyone in the history of J! who had a lock game ever bet enough to break their lock - so that they put themselves into a possible position of losing the game? I think there have been cases where they bet so that there is a possibility of a tie - but has there been anyone who bet more than that? Maybe this is a question for the J! board.

And of couse,
Spoiler
MEGAND Kudos on last night!!!!
Yes. Five-time champ Maria (I think her last name was Wenglinsky) did so, apparently by accident, in one of her games. She won anyway. I think it's happened one or two other times. I don't think, though, that it's ever cost anyone a win. --Bob
There was one that was a parallel to that, someone who did not have a lock game but was winning leading into Final J! who did not bet enough to beat the second place person (assuming both got Final J! correct, which both of them did)-- she made a math error each of the three games she played, and won the first two because she was the only one who got Final J! correct, and in the third one (unfortunately for her) the second place player got it right and passed her. This was in (I believe) 1987, and it was right after that, and because of that, that they started giving the contestants a pencil and a sheet of scrap paper to calculate their wagers in Final J!
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

earendel

#119 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:08 am

To my surprise the local affiliate showed Megan's third and fourth shows over the weekend; I didn't see it on the schedule but my DVR caught both of them so I was able to watch. I was sorry to see Megan's run come to an end, but she gave it all she could with that wager on the final DD. I got the right answer but rejected it, thinking they were looking for something else (I would have said "refraction").

Megan, you done good, and we're all proud of you.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#120 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:18 am

For those who don't frequent the Jeopardy! board, here's a link to the thread in which they track qualifiers for the Tournament of Champions. Rafferbee will enter the list at position number 10 when it's next updated.

There are 15 spots in the Tournament. However, because there will (reportedly) be both a Teacher's Tournament and a College Championship whose winners both will play in the Tournament of Champions, and whose winners are denoted on this list as 0 and 0', Rafferbee will need to remain at 13 or higher. That's why TheCalvinator24 was knocked out of the Tournament a couple of champions ago, although his current ranking among champions in regular play will increase to 16 when Rafferbee is added. --Bob

MarleysGh0st

#121 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Bob78164 wrote:For those who don't frequent the Jeopardy! board, here's a link to the thread in which they track qualifiers for the Tournament of Champions. Rafferbee will enter the list at position number 10 when it's next updated.

There are 15 spots in the Tournament. However, because there will (reportedly) be both a Teacher's Tournament and a College Championship whose winners both will play in the Tournament of Champions, and whose winners are denoted on this list as 0 and 0', Rafferbee will need to remain at 13 or higher. That's why TheCalvinator24 was knocked out of the Tournament a couple of champions ago, although his current ranking among champions in regular play will increase to 16 when Rafferbee is added. --Bob
So those who won four games are ranked higher than Rafferbee, even though some of them won far less money, right?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#122 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:57 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:For those who don't frequent the Jeopardy! board, here's a link to the thread in which they track qualifiers for the Tournament of Champions. Rafferbee will enter the list at position number 10 when it's next updated.

So those who won four games are ranked higher than Rafferbee, even though some of them won far less money, right?
Correct. Ordering is lexicographic. Number of wins gets first priority. Money won (in victories only) gets second priority. I have no idea how further ties are broken if necessary. --Bob

MarleysGh0st

#123 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Here's an article that features a very nice interview with Rafferbee about her recent Jeopardy! appearances.

http://www.mpnnow.com/towns/farmington/ ... n-Jeopardy

Her dad also offered an embarrassing story about her childhood.
The oldest of six children, Rafferty-Barnes made her appetite for knowledge clear at an early age.

“When she was a child she would stay up all night reading and then she would fall asleep at school,” remembered Rafferty. “So to stop her from reading all night long, we took the light bulbs out of her room. Then we discovered her under her covers with a flashlight — reading.”
Busted! :mrgreen:

Dad also had this quote.
“This is actually the second game show she was on,” said her dad, Farmington resident Thom Rafferty. “She was on ‘Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?’ in 2008, and she won $16,000 on that. She tries out for a lot of shows, but of course ‘Jeopardy!’ has a lot more prestige than ‘Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?’”
Hey! :lol:

Rafferbee

#124 Post by Rafferbee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:03 am

My Dad is such a ham. I knew he would love being interviewed.

I don't know how you could measure prestige, but J! certainly has more viewers than WWTBAM.

MarleysGh0st

#125 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:16 am

Rafferbee wrote:My Dad is such a ham. I knew he would love being interviewed.
The flashlight under the covers story isn't new; certainly it's used in TV and movies a lot. But I've never heard "we had to remove the light bulbs from her room" before! :lol: