Are You Ready to Play Who Wants to Be A Millionaire!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheCalvinator24

#101 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:15 pm

takinover wrote:Cal, for graciously assisting you with reaching the $25K level on your way to $1M, I would like to offer you the opportunity to make a tax-deductable contribution or tithe of 10% to my ministry. You will be blessed for perfoming such act.
Let's see . . .

10% of zilch is . . .

ZILCH

:lol:
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

TheCalvinator24

#102 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:16 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
Shade wrote:Bob Juch-- I don't see how that question could be wrong, I couldn't think of another question to write so I took it from a list of questions I took from WWTBAM itself. (about the Saleri question)
From Wikipedia, for what that's worth:

"Perhaps the most important relationship in Beethoven's early life, and certainly the most famous, was the young pianist's tutorship under the Austrian composer Joseph Haydn. Beethoven studied with a number of composers and teachers in the period 1792–1795, including Antonio Salieri and Johann Georg Albrechtsberger."

I would argue that Haydn was more important to Beethoven's early training, but Haydn wasn't among the choices.
Just Google Beethoven teacher Salieri, and a ton of source will pop up. Not just WikiPedia.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Shade

#103 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:16 pm

I'd love to host another "episode". I hope I'll have ready and willing contestants. This was a lot of fun, I tried doing this before on other fourms but none of them were as active as this one and I usually don't have an "audience" making commentary and being on standby for life lines.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#104 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:17 pm

I actually don't think I've seen Ed's episode. I saw Kevin Olmstead, I feel a little guilty saying this but...doesn't anyone else think it's unfair that with only one question he won more than twice any other contestant?

I don't think it's "unfair." All of it is luck of the draw, luck of the stack, and the luck of Kevin and Ed to be contestants during a short period with a special promotion. I don't think you would find many people (here, anyway) who would say that winning twice as much money means twice as intelligent.
Last edited by silvercamaro on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheCalvinator24

#105 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:17 pm

Shade wrote:I'd love to host another "episode". I hope I'll have ready and willing contestants. This was a lot of fun, I tried doing this before on other fourms but none of them were as active as this one and I usually don't have an "audience" making commentary and being on standby for life lines.
We are trivia hounds, and many of us love any excuse to boost our posting totals.

8)

Bob Juch

#106 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:17 pm

Shade wrote:Bob Juch-- I don't see how that question could be wrong, I couldn't think of another question to write so I took it from a list of questions I took from WWTBAM itself. (about the Saleri question)
The show has had wrong questions before. :)

I know that Wikipedia shouldn't be used as a source, however this article does not mention Saleri at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_and_w ... _Beethoven

TheCalvinator24

#107 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:19 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
The show has had wrong questions before. :)

I know that Wikipedia shouldn't be used as a source, however this article does not mention Saleri at all:

Give it a rest, Bob.

There are plenty of sources that support the contention that Salieri was one of Ludwig's teachers. Maybe not for long, and probably not that influential, but it's pretty well established that he did, in fact, serve as a teacher to LVB.

Bob Juch

#108 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:20 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
From Wikipedia, for what that's worth:

"Perhaps the most important relationship in Beethoven's early life, and certainly the most famous, was the young pianist's tutorship under the Austrian composer Joseph Haydn. Beethoven studied with a number of composers and teachers in the period 1792–1795, including Antonio Salieri and Johann Georg Albrechtsberger."

I would argue that Haydn was more important to Beethoven's early training, but Haydn wasn't among the choices.
Just Google Beethoven teacher Salieri, and a ton of source will pop up. Not just WikiPedia.
Well, I guess you had to be there to really know.

Shade

#109 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:20 pm

silvercamaro wrote:I actually don't think I've seen Ed's episode. I saw Kevin Olmstead, I feel a little guilty saying this but...doesn't anyone else think it's unfair that with only one question he won more than twice any other contestant?

I don't think it's "unfair." All of it is luck of the draw, luck of the stack, and the luck of Kevin and Ed to be contestants during a short period with a special promotion. I don't think you would find many people (here, anyway) who would say that winning twice as much money means twice as intelligent.
You are right about that, how about this. Would anyone think it's unfair if someone got 5 times Dr. Olmstead's winnings just by winning Power of 10? :P

"The show has had wrong questions before. Smile

"

I only recall the show being wrong twice, lol. The show is more likely to be right than me.

"We are trivia hounds, and many of us love any excuse to boost our posting totals. "

Good! :D

TheCalvinator24

#110 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:20 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote: From Wikipedia, for what that's worth:

You just can't admit you're wrong, can you?

Bob Juch

#111 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:23 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote: Just Google Beethoven teacher Salieri, and a ton of source will pop up. Not just WikiPedia.
Nope.

At any rate, the question should have read: "One of his teachers" instead of implying he was the only one.

Shade

#112 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:23 pm

If I had things my way (which I rarely do, because If I did I would have been a contestant on Millionaire by now) I would have this thread pinned. And people can take turns being host.

Shade

#113 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Well, I guess you had to be there to really know.
Nope.

At any rate, the question should have read: "One of his teachers" instead of implying he was the only one.
I guess it should have, I wish I could recall the episode I copied it down from, then we could check the transcripts. To make sure I copied it right.

TheCalvinator24

#114 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:26 pm

Shade wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Nope.

I guess it should have, I wish I could recall the episode I copied it down from, then we could check the transcripts. To make sure I copied it right.
The question was fine as written. Salieri was Beethoven's teacher. Nothing in the wording implies that he was the one and only.

Bob Juch

#115 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:27 pm

Shade wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:At any rate, the question should have read: "One of his teachers" instead of implying he was the only one.
Oh, it probably did read just as you had it.

Was that really someone's $1MM question?

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#116 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:28 pm

Would anyone think it's unfair if someone got 5 times Dr. Olmstead's winnings just by winning Power of 10?

I wouldn't. I would consider it in exactly the same light as I view someone who wins a huge amount in the Power Ball lottery.

Shade

#117 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:29 pm

"Was that really someone's $1MM question?"

I don't think so, A Million dollar question is too memorable to reuse. It was probably either 250,000 or 500,000
Last edited by Shade on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shade

#118 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:30 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Would anyone think it's unfair if someone got 5 times Dr. Olmstead's winnings just by winning Power of 10?

I wouldn't. I would consider it in exactly the same light as I view someone who wins a huge amount in the Power Ball lottery.
Yeah, but then they'd take Brad Rutter's place as biggest winner of a game show, and Brad worked for his money more than someone who appeared on one episode of The Power of 10. It's a moot point though.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#119 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:40 pm

Shade wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:Would anyone think it's unfair if someone got 5 times Dr. Olmstead's winnings just by winning Power of 10?

Yeah, but then they'd take Brad Rutter's place as biggest winner of a game show, and Brad worked for his money more than someone who appeared on one episode of The Power of 10. It's a moot point though.

Hey.....I worked hard not to win any money....

Shade

#120 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:48 pm

I thought you won 100,000?

Shade

#121 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:53 pm

Why am I still here? It's almost 2:00am where I am

*The horn goes off*

Anywho...From New York everyone! Good night!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#122 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:02 am

Shade wrote:I thought you won 100,000?
Ever hear of a show called Greed? --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#123 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:06 am

Shade wrote:I'd love to host another "episode". I hope I'll have ready and willing contestants. This was a lot of fun, I tried doing this before on other fourms but none of them were as active as this one and I usually don't have an "audience" making commentary and being on standby for life lines.
I'd suggest that you make an announcement in advance. You'll probably get a substantial audience. You might even try to come up with a Fastest Finger question, and award the Hot Seat to the first correct answer. --Bob

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#124 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:10 am

Shade wrote:I thought you won 100,000?
Sorry......different game show.....

a1mamacat

#125 Post by a1mamacat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:11 am

Active? Active? Oh dear Lordy, Shade. Please make sure you are here just before Thanksgiving.

It is insane

Okay, well MORE Insane.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!