5th Grader thread

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

5th Grader thread

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 09, 2008 7:38 am

As previously announced, this week was the Fireman vs. the Policeman.

And both of them completed their runs in the same one-hour episode, so you can guess the results. :|

There were some very nice close-ups of the firehouse dalmation, Wilshire, though. I'm sure the silvercamaro household appreciated that. (And if they somehow missed the program, what with all the slithery excitement they've been having this week, there's a video clip of Wilshire available on the 5th Grader web site.)
Spoiler
The fireman got off to a bad start, jumping right into a 3rd Grade US Geography question and then needed to be saved from his wrong answer.
True or False? The Hawaiian Islands were once known as the Sandwich Islands.
Two questions later was 1st Grade Earth Science.
By definition, what does a weathervane measure? A. Rainfall, B. Wind direction, C. Air Temperature.
He perfectly described a weathervane as it is typically seen atop barns, but he burned his Peek anyway. :roll:

And a few questions later, he walked with $50K instead of taking his chances on his (correct) hunch on 4th Grade Science.
The Laws of Motion are named for what English scientist who first published them in 1687?
Wilshire gave several barks of encouragement throughout, but I think what he was really saying was, "Sit down and let me play, why don't you?"

The policeman really wanted to do better than the fireman, because of their interservice rivalry, but he got let down by Mackenzie on 4th Grade Nature.
What pigment found in plant leaves uses energy from sunlight to make food?
The policeman only remembered that it was a word that sounded like "chloroform." He copied Mackenzie, who unfortunately had answered "conifer." This dropped him to $25K.

TPTB apparently instruct the kids to always look worried before their answers are revealed, even when they know they're right, in a cheap trick to drag out the tension. It becomes extra poignant, then, when they really are wrong. :(

Edited to remove the answer spoiler from one of the questions. BTW, the 5th Grader PTB apparently have terminated the relative of MBFFB who used to do the official transcripts for them, so somebody on their message board does an unoffical version, now.
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Fri May 09, 2008 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

christie1111
11:11

#2 Post by christie1111 » Fri May 09, 2008 7:39 am

I'll take a turn....

Do you still watch this show?

:lol:
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#3 Post by AnnieCamaro » Fri May 09, 2008 7:46 am

We all were going to root for the fireman, because of my sister Tigger, who was Firehouse Dalmatian of the Year in 2001, and my brother sometimes known as Fire Boy. We ended up rooting for the policeman, too, because of the three nice officers who came to our house and scratched my ears when they weren't distracted by the snake.

We wanted everybody to win everything.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 09, 2008 7:48 am

christie1111 wrote:I'll take a turn....

You need to add PSM's trademark thingie, now! 8)

And it's "I can't believe" not "do you"! :P

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri May 09, 2008 7:50 am

This show makes me too dumb. I'm gonna stick with watching Keith Olbermann.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri May 09, 2008 8:17 am

Thank you!

slam

#7 Post by slam » Fri May 09, 2008 8:31 am

I, for one, am glad that Marley continues to watch this show. It's worth the minute or so of my time to read his summaries so I can see the questions. Thank you, Marley, for continuing to perform a public service.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri May 09, 2008 8:32 am

Yes, Marley thank you.

I do read your posts, so thank you for summarizing the show for us.

MarkBarrett

#9 Post by MarkBarrett » Sun May 11, 2008 9:52 am

My favorite sequence of the episode was the question asking for which day of the week comes last alphabetically.

The contestant had it down to Thursday vs. Tuesday. Jeff started taking his lap around the stage as the firefighter worked out "Tu" coming later than "Th". The contestant made one last check through the days going, "Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday" and the lightbulb finally went on.

There was a shot of a smile on Jeff's face, the realization/embarrassment on the firefighter's face as well as audience members enjoying the moment.

rayxtwo

#10 Post by rayxtwo » Sun May 11, 2008 10:35 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:

Thank you!
Well watch it next week when the guy from the Las Vegas Advisior Message Borad is on.

I'll post a reminder Wednesday night.

Ray

tanstaafl2

#11 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:My favorite sequence of the episode was the question asking for which day of the week comes last alphabetically.

The contestant had it down to Thursday vs. Tuesday. Jeff started taking his lap around the stage as the firefighter worked out "Tu" coming later than "Th". The contestant made one last check through the days going, "Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday" and the lightbulb finally went on.

There was a shot of a smile on Jeff's face, the realization/embarrassment on the firefighter's face as well as audience members enjoying the moment.
I guess if you want somebody to run TOWARDS the fire, and maybe all the way into a burning building to yank others out, perhaps being extremely bright is not always a prerequisite...

I just sayin'.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh