I wonder if I am now in the minority

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Sir_Galahad

I wonder if I am now in the minority

#1 Post by Sir_Galahad » Sun May 11, 2008 9:47 am

I don't carry an iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, Blueberry, Raspberry, Palm Pilot, Razr, or any other sort of PDA or Cell Phone when I leave the house. I wonder if I am in the minority of today's American.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

themanintheseersuckersuit

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun May 11, 2008 9:52 am

I tell my Blackberry addicted friends, "If Simon Legree had Blackberrys he wouldn't have need the whip"
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

hf_jai

#3 Post by hf_jai » Sun May 11, 2008 10:01 am

I only carry a cell phone. But my daughter has one too -- got it the day she got her drivers license. I can't imagine how parents did without them when I was a kid. I bet they worried themselves out of at least 10 years.

You know, I once saved a family's house from a grass fire because I had a cell phone.

MarleysGh0st

Re: I wonder if I am now in the minority

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun May 11, 2008 1:20 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:I wonder if I am in the minority of today's American.
You are. I think I saw a statistic on the news recently saying nearly 80% of Americans have cell phones now.

I rarely use my TracFone, but I have it in case of emergencies. And in case I ever need if for keeping in touch with my PAFs. :wink:

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Sun May 11, 2008 3:03 pm

I think people assume people have cell phones, so.... I would say you are in the minority.

Do you not have a cell phone or do you have one and just not take it every time you leave the house?

Pealette doesn't have one and she gets annoyed when someone does and she calls it and they don't answer.

I told her my cell phone was for me and if I didn't want to answer it, that was my bidnez.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun May 11, 2008 5:06 pm

I rarely use my TracFone, but I have it in case of emergencies. And in case I ever need if for keeping in touch with my PAFs.

So that's why you've never called me.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun May 11, 2008 7:35 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:I don't carry an iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, Blueberry, Raspberry, Palm Pilot, Razr, or any other sort of PDA or Cell Phone when I leave the house. I wonder if I am in the minority of today's American.
How do people find you?

Given Maddie's goofy hours and activities, I would spend much more time in the school parking lot waiting for her if she didn't have a phone. Even Emma even has a cell phone. She calls me after school to see where I am and who is picking her up.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#8 Post by sunflower » Sun May 11, 2008 7:39 pm

I can't live without my phone, but there are some days I wish I could go back. I remember it used to be you could go out all day and not have to return calls until you got home. Now people expect you to be at their beck and call all the time! Sometimes it's too much and I'll take a one day cell phone vacation...today was one of those days!! :lol:

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#9 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun May 11, 2008 7:42 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:I don't carry an iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, Blueberry, Raspberry, Palm Pilot, Razr, or any other sort of PDA or Cell Phone when I leave the house. I wonder if I am in the minority of today's American.

You have some company. I don't carry any of that junk either....

lb13

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun May 11, 2008 7:43 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
How do people find you?

Ah, the joy of it all....

lb13

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun May 11, 2008 8:49 pm

I frequently leave mine off or out of earshot. People who know me have my landline number. I will call them back if they leave a message. The cell is for my convenience. I understand things are different for folks who are not at home so much or who have to make arrangements with other people on the fly.

For me it is important to be humble about our choices and not self-righteous, whichever choices those are and wherever we fall on the spectrum.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#12 Post by kayrharris » Sun May 11, 2008 9:04 pm

My kids don't even have land lines. I've noticed most of the students here don't have them either. It can be quite expensive to pay the fee the phone company charges every time you move to a new location and it's just another bill for the parents to pay.

However, my kids can choose to ignore my calls just as easily with a cell phone as they can with an "old fashioned" land line phone & they do a pretty good job of it. :oops:
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Ritterskoop

#13 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun May 11, 2008 9:10 pm

Right on having no landline. Tons of folks have it that way now, as it's cheaper. I just want us to remember we are in charge of the technology. We are not obligated to be connected to everyone all the time.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

jaybee

#14 Post by jaybee » Sun May 11, 2008 9:20 pm

I like having a cell phone - on the rare days that it does not ring. I know that everyone *could* find me so it just means that they don't have to.

As a side note, Uly's current avatar is the first one in a while that hasn't disturbed me.

Jaybee
Jaybee

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#15 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun May 11, 2008 9:41 pm

jaybee wrote:I like having a cell phone - on the rare days that it does not ring. I know that everyone *could* find me so it just means that they don't have to.

As a side note, Uly's current avatar is the first one in a while that hasn't disturbed me.

Jaybee
How about this one?

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#16 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun May 11, 2008 9:42 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
jaybee wrote:I like having a cell phone - on the rare days that it does not ring. I know that everyone *could* find me so it just means that they don't have to.

Jaybee
How about this one?
Who is it?

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#17 Post by silvercamaro » Sun May 11, 2008 9:54 pm

Who is it?
I'm sure it's a world champion clogger.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#18 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:02 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
Who is it?
I'm sure it's a world champion clogger.
He was playing on Saturday night as well as Herman's Hermits. He and his band went on first. I'll have a playlist when I get back to LA.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#19 Post by ontellen » Sun May 11, 2008 10:10 pm

I don't have a cell phone or ipod either. Hubby's too damn cheap to spring for one. We do have an old phone that works in the car though when it's plugged into the lighter.

Since David is very hard of hearing, especially high pitched sounds, there's no sense in me calling him in the car because he never hears it. That's why I wish we had a cell that could go on vibrate.

I'm not sure what a cell-through-internet phone is but if you have one, be very careful. An 18 month old boy just died last week in Calgary because he had a seizure and they called 911 with their cell and it went to a call centre in Toronto. They then looked up their address which had been a suburb of Toronto. An ambulance was dispatched there while no one came to save the little guy. They hadn't informed the cell provider that they had moved.

Sir_Galahad

#20 Post by Sir_Galahad » Mon May 12, 2008 5:11 am

peacock2121 wrote:I think people assume people have cell phones, so.... I would say you are in the minority.

Do you not have a cell phone or do you have one and just not take it every time you leave the house?
Oh, we have one but Lady G uses it mostly. On the occasion that I have to go out of town on business I will sometimes take it.

As for what I do for people contacting me... well, that's what I have an answering machine for. ;)

I am not one of those that need to be incessantly on the phone or in constant contact with the world. We have a friend that no sooner does she leave the house and get into her car than she is on her cell phone. I don't want to be that accessible or connected.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

NellyLunatic1980

#21 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon May 12, 2008 5:18 am

I can't live without having my cellphone near me. But it's a simple cellphone. I don't have anything fancy like a special ringtone, camera, or Internet access.

ghostjmf

#22 Post by ghostjmf » Mon May 12, 2008 3:25 pm

I have a cellphone for emergencies. It is always with me but it is never on to get calls, except when I turn it on in emergency situations. I think when I recorded the message for it, I told anybody calling it to call my landline # because that was the one I was going to be checking for messages; since a machine is picking them up (except when the cat disconnects the phone) there's no way they'll get "lost in the system" & appear days later, as I've been told can happen to phone-service messages, both for cell & land-line.

I 1st got the phone for potential BAM callbacks when I was out of town. I traded it in for one that vibrates instead of ringing for BAM callbacks when I was in no-ring (religous meeting & so forth) situations.

I only wish.

ghostjmf

#23 Post by ghostjmf » Mon May 12, 2008 3:31 pm

I also have the last of the Sony transistors with a distant/local switch with me at all times for NPR-junkie & hearing new music I haven't heard before purposes. I can't imagine anything more boring than knowing exactly what will be available musically on a device I carry with me. Shuffle-mode? Big deal. You still know what songs you put in there.
I have thought of getting an I-Pod, though, on which to download Science Fridays & Fresh Airs I've missed so I can listen on airplanes. If anyone gave me one, that's what would be on there.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#24 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon May 12, 2008 3:44 pm

I don't have any of those. Not even an iPod. I used to have a cell phone, but once I stopped driving, I didn't need it that much, as I am always with someone who has a cellphone. I gave my cell to my son, who drives 90 minutes round trip to work 5 days a week. For justincase scenarios.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

tlynn78

#25 Post by tlynn78 » Mon May 12, 2008 4:30 pm

Duh, Sirgy. No pockets for those things in suits of armor.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire