The Princess Bride

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

#101 Post by peacock2121 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:33 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote: Road House
Shawshank Redemption, unless it is a tidied-up version
Back to the Future
Ferris Bueller

Yes that is four. I can change the channel from Bueller but it will be on many folks' list.
Dirty Dancing
The Postman

shut up
Pea,
I'm curious about whether you saw my post in this thread.
I generally don't skip over your posts when I am reading a thread - so... I am sure I did. I will go back and see what you are talking about.

peacock2121

#102 Post by peacock2121 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:36 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:Pea,
It dispenses hope (and joy) like someone pulling candy from a pocket.

I was wrong the other day. It's actually Holt-Dad who suffers from Pea-ness envy.

That explains a lot.
I love what you got from the film.

The other part makes me laugh.

wbtravis007

#103 Post by wbtravis007 » Sat May 10, 2008 2:41 pm

peacock2121 wrote:

I was wrong the other day. It's actually Holt-Dad who suffers from Pea-ness envy.

That explains a lot.

This is getting kind of funny. Now I can't tell whether you're saying that you love what I got from The Postman or from The Princess Bride.

In my first post I was taking a stab at your challenge of sorts for somebody to come up with a reason for you to watch the movie. Just goofing around, I adapted a line from The Postman, which I knew you liked a lot.

I wasn't sure whether you'd get the reference. It was just one of those posts where, if somebody got it, fine, and, if not, that would be fine, too.

Then, when I saw you happened to mention The Postman in the same thread, I became curious about whether you got my reference. That's why it's funny now. I really can't tell which movie you're refering to.

My take on Princess Bride is that it's just fine. Ejoyable enough. Some great lines and scenes. I think I'm like a lot of people, though. By the time I got around to watching it, my expectations ha been built up so high that there was no way they'd be met.

Anyway, just to clarify, I would not really describe that movie by saying: It dispenses hope (and joy) like someone pulling candy from a pocket.

I liked The Postman. Wouldn't have seen it except for your comments about being one of the few who liked it.

So, which movie were you talking about?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#104 Post by Beebs52 » Sat May 10, 2008 3:55 pm

I know I'm in the minority re:Princess Bride, too. I liked it, okay, when I finally saw it. It didn't strike that "engagement" sector of my psyche like some other movies that are funnier or weirder. I do remember reading it and liking that much better.
Well, then

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#105 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:00 pm

Shawshank
Trading Places
The Rookie
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#106 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:24 am

BIF for Melly.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

peacock2121

#107 Post by peacock2121 » Sun May 11, 2008 3:20 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:

That explains a lot.

This is getting kind of funny. Now I can't tell whether you're saying that you love what I got from The Postman or from The Princess Bride.

In my first post I was taking a stab at your challenge of sorts for somebody to come up with a reason for you to watch the movie. Just goofing around, I adapted a line from The Postman, which I knew you liked a lot.

I wasn't sure whether you'd get the reference. It was just one of those posts where, if somebody got it, fine, and, if not, that would be fine, too.

Then, when I saw you happened to mention The Postman in the same thread, I became curious about whether you got my reference. That's why it's funny now. I really can't tell which movie you're refering to.

My take on Princess Bride is that it's just fine. Ejoyable enough. Some great lines and scenes. I think I'm like a lot of people, though. By the time I got around to watching it, my expectations ha been built up so high that there was no way they'd be met.

Anyway, just to clarify, I would not really describe that movie by saying: It dispenses hope (and joy) like someone pulling candy from a pocket.

I liked The Postman. Wouldn't have seen it except for your comments about being one of the few who liked it.

So, which movie were you talking about?
First of all - thanks for seeing a movie I said I liked. When I am feeling like there is no way I will ever make the difference I want to make in the world, I watch The Postman and come back to standing for that I can and I will.

I knew the line came from The Postman. Although my memory is that the line was something about "you can't give out hope like you take candy from your pocket" or soemthing like that. I thought you were telling me that The Priness Bride did do that.

So... I thought you were talking about both and saying that PB did it.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#108 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 12, 2008 2:39 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
fantine33 wrote: I should start a thread on the top three movies that you have to stop and watch when you're flipping through the on screen listings.
Road House
Shawshank Redemption, unless it is a tidied-up version
Back to the Future
Ferris Bueller

Yes that is four. I can change the channel from Bueller but it will be on many folks' list.
Dirty Dancing
The Postman

shut up
Wow! I hated The Postman. That was severely disappointing to me because I loved the novella (and sequels) on which it was based, and I'm generally a big David Brin fan.

I think the problem was that Kevin Costner didn't understand the story. He thought it was about the postman. It wasn't. It was about America and its ideals. The postman was merely the agent who brought those ideals out in the people he touched. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

peacock2121

#109 Post by peacock2121 » Mon May 12, 2008 3:11 pm

It was about America and its ideals. The postman was merely the agent who brought those ideals out in the people he touched.

That is what I got from the film. If Costner didn't get it, he was the star of a film I got that from.

I also got that a hero does not ever need to think he is a hero. A leader does not need to think he is a leader. He can think he is not either. All that is required is that others hold him as one and he can move mountains. People can be a demand that someone is a leader and a visionary. If enough people demand it, the hero/leader will become one.

I got that from the film.