Movies You Can't Pass Up

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mellytu74

#51 Post by mellytu74 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:10 am

What "Other" thread?

What did I miss?

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#52 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:23 am

The Last Castle is on right now, not because I can't go past it but because there's nothing else on in particular whilst I deal with Mt. Laundrymore (c) Mini and E-mail and wait for the Pens game at 5:30.

I read a couple reviews and they blasted it for miscasting James Gandolfini. The first time I saw it, I'd never seen one minute of Sopranos, and I thought he was excellent in the part, not miscast at all. I think the reviewers were too steeped in the Tony Soprano character.

GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by SportsFan68 on Sun May 11, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#53 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:25 am

mellytu74 wrote:What "Other" thread?

What did I miss?
At the end of the Princess Bride thread.

I BIFed it.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

mellytu74

#54 Post by mellytu74 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:33 am

Sprots!

I saw it as I was catching up.

I realized I hadn't finished The Princess Bride thread -- I stopped when everyone was bringing popcorn over.

I like Blazing Saddles.

I am one of the few women on earth who has The Three Stooges gene, so maybe that explains it.

VAdame

#55 Post by VAdame » Sun May 11, 2008 12:29 pm

Add me to the list of Shawshank devotees :)

Con Air

&

Air Force One

(which was on late last night, and of course I had to stay up & watch it)

hf_jai

#56 Post by hf_jai » Sun May 11, 2008 1:27 pm

Galaxy Quest
Shawshank Redemption
The Postman (I'm with ya there, Pea)

A few years ago I would have said Singing in the Rain. It's my favorite all time movie and it used to play quite frequently, but I haven't seen it on TV in a long time.

Hubby's list would undoubtedly include Die Hard and Red October, both of which play WAY too often and neither of which he can seem to pass up every flippin' time they do. Blech! He would also list some version of Alien, but I like that series.

I'm pretty sure I saw the Ten Commandments play just this last Passover. Not sure which channel.

peacock2121

#57 Post by peacock2121 » Sun May 11, 2008 3:06 pm

Beebs52 wrote:I know this is going to bring raining down beatings upon my head:

A Christmas Story
Rat Race
Waterworld

I really, really like Waterworld.

I love A Christmas Story and Rat Race.
Holy crap!

I didn't think anyone liked Waterworld!

Awesome!

peacock2121

#58 Post by peacock2121 » Sun May 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Shawshank would be my thrid one.

It is a movie I can catch at any time in the story and feel complete at the end.

hf_jai

#59 Post by hf_jai » Sun May 11, 2008 4:33 pm

First Wives' Club just played on USA channel and we watched.

Don't know that it plays all that often, but I gotta admit both hubby and I have watched it many times. And we don't own the DVD. Hmmm... maybe we should.

VAdame

#60 Post by VAdame » Sun May 11, 2008 5:01 pm

I'm pretty sure I saw the Ten Commandments play just this last Passover. Not sure which channel.
ABC always runs that on Holy Saturday (the night before Easter.) I think I have most of the dialog memorized by now :wink:

Narrowing it down the 3 was tough -- Independence Day, Being John Malkovich, and Twister (which was on this afternoon) are contenders too. And Green Mile. And Braveheart, which I haven't seen on TV lately but I have the tape at work & play it for the vets fairly often.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#61 Post by kayrharris » Sun May 11, 2008 5:11 pm

"Good Will Hunting" was on TV again today.

I didn't watch it today, but I prolly could have and not been bored. Matt Damon being in it doesn't hurt any either.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

hf_jai

#62 Post by hf_jai » Sun May 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Now there's a popular movie that bores me to tears: Braveheart. I MUCH preferred Rob Roy. But then, I much prefer Liam Neeson to Mel Gibson.

Gibson has never done anything for me.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#63 Post by sunflower » Sun May 11, 2008 5:33 pm

Pretty Woman
Napolean Dynamite
Picture Perfect (and yes I do know it's cheesy but I can't help myself)

And of course Shawshank, seeing as it was on 25 times a week on TBS for a while there, how could you not get hooked on it??

VAdame

#64 Post by VAdame » Sun May 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Now there's a popular movie that bores me to tears: Braveheart.
LOL -- I feel that way about anything to do with Lord of the Rings or The Matrix. Yawwwwwwwwwwn!

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#65 Post by sunflower » Sun May 11, 2008 5:52 pm

VAdame wrote:LOL -- I feel that way about anything to do with Lord of the Rings or The Matrix. Yawwwwwwwwwwn!
LOL I have never made it through one of the Lord of the Rings without falling asleep, I finally gave up!

VAdame

#66 Post by VAdame » Sun May 11, 2008 6:04 pm

sunflower wrote:
VAdame wrote:LOL -- I feel that way about anything to do with Lord of the Rings or The Matrix. Yawwwwwwwwwwn!
LOL I have never made it through one of the Lord of the Rings without falling asleep, I finally gave up!
I tried to read the books when I was much younger (my boyfriend at the time & one of my brothers swore I would just love them.........) Nope. Not unless by "love" they meant "enjoy a nice nap!"
Last edited by VAdame on Sun May 11, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Juch

#67 Post by Bob Juch » Sun May 11, 2008 6:16 pm

hf_jai wrote:Now there's a popular movie that bores me to tears: Braveheart. I MUCH preferred Rob Roy. But then, I much prefer Liam Neeson to Mel Gibson.

It doesn't bore me, it raises my blood pressure because of all the historical inaccuracies. I'm descended from all of the "bad" guys in the film.

The Tudors has quite a few too, but not as bad as Braveheart.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#68 Post by Spock » Sun May 11, 2008 6:46 pm

hf_jai wrote:Now there's a popular movie that bores me to tears: Braveheart. I MUCH preferred Rob Roy. But then, I much prefer Liam Neeson to Mel Gibson.

I can not watch Braveheart any more-I do like the scenes with Mel and the princess.

Rob Roy is my second favorite movie of all-time.

Jai and Melly mentioned Singing in the Rain-I just had it from Netflix and I could not finish it. Maybe I will try again next winter. I got halfway and that was it.

Bixby17

#69 Post by Bixby17 » Mon May 12, 2008 9:20 am

This list changes over time, but here is a generalized list of movies I can't resist when cable flipping:

Big Lebowski
Slap Shot
Little Big Man
The Longest Yard (the original)
Airplane!

For a while, Taladega Nights: The Adventures of Ricky Bobby kept making me watch it over and over again, but I got that out of my system. Night at the Roxbury is that way too. I really love stupid cable comedies that I would never pay money to see in the theater but are stupid easy movies to watch that don't creep you out.

On Sundays, the husband and I like to watch movie stuff, but so many of the "great" movies we haven't seen are too hard to watch on a Saturday night.

silverscreenselect

#70 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 12, 2008 9:41 am

Bixby17 wrote:This list changes over time, but here is a generalized list of movies I can't resist when cable flipping:

Big Lebowski
Slap Shot
Without the profanity, on basic cable, these movies are about thirty minutes long.

Sir_Galahad

#71 Post by Sir_Galahad » Mon May 12, 2008 11:04 am

sunflower wrote:
IMO, the problem with the LoTR series is that if you are not already familiar / enthralled with the books / story you will get lost in the movie. With so many characters and locations, I can see how it would be hard to follow. Or, if not hard to follow, if your were not already a fan of the books, I can see how you would become easily disinterested. And, forget about seeing either or both of the final two movies without having seen the first.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

ommax3

#72 Post by ommax3 » Mon May 12, 2008 11:22 am

christie1111 wrote:The Hunt for Red October
Pretty Woman
Dirty Dancing

But if I get more, Princess Bride is up there.
Wow :D

we have similar tastes...my list as well....

Ommax3
married to Appa23, 3 great kids...him..well...

gsabc

#73 Post by gsabc » Mon May 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Add two more to my list, neither of which shows up often enough:

Kelly's Heroes ("None of them negative waves, Moriarty!")
The Hot Rock ("It's the wrong roof!")

I love caper movies.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

trevor_macfee

#74 Post by trevor_macfee » Mon May 12, 2008 1:06 pm

Movies that seem to be on a lot that I'll stop and watch as much as I can if I'm channel-surfing:

Field of Dreams
Independence Day (which I have never watched from beginning to end but have probably watched a couple of times in many bits and pieces)
The Untouchables (I love David Mamet's dialogue even if I have only a few minutes, and the look of the film is incredible)
Philadelphia Story on TCM

Then there are a few movies I'll only stop for if they are in certain parts:

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - I'll stop if I come across it on TCM and it's during the filibuster part
Anatomy of a Murder - if they're in the courtroom
No Way Out - only right before the "payoff" at the end

Finally, there are a number of musicals - West Side Story and Singin' in the Rain come immediately to mind - that I'll stop for a few songs before moving on but that I would rather watch all the way through.