Wedding Blog: BD**2 -91

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Wedding Blog: BD**2 -91

#1 Post by gsabc » Sun May 11, 2008 1:00 pm

Quick entry before I start preparing for a Jim Brickman concert tonight.

FSIL will be going to see his CO tomorrow to request 2-1/2 weeks of leave for the wedding, travel back, move, etc. When I was told of this a short time ago, I was also told that he wants some additional ammo for the request. I just had to total up all that has already spent on the wedding, and all that will be spent. This includes the bridesmaids' and groomsmen's expenditures. That list includes, in no particular order and probably not complete:

Venue
Reception
Rabbi
ASL interpreter
MotB dress
Gown, including tiara and slip
Hotel
DJ
Cake
Florist
Canopy
Invitations, including postage
Bridesmaids' gowns
Rehearsal dinner
Hairdos
Bridesmaids' gifts

I won't divulge the number. It is very close to what my "Father of the Bride for Dummies" book says is the cost of an average wedding. It is not an small number. It is more than I thought. We have spent about 20% in payments and deposits. I am very glad some of our investments are doing well despite the bear market. I am also very glad we stopped at two.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Wedding Blog: BD**2 -91

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun May 11, 2008 1:45 pm

gsabc wrote:I won't divulge the number. It is very close to what my "Father of the Bride for Dummies" book says is the cost of an average wedding. It is not an small number. It is more than I thought. We have spent about 20% in payments and deposits. I am very glad some of our investments are doing well despite the bear market. I am also very glad we stopped at two.
You could still save 80% by encouraging them to elope! :wink:

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Sun May 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Holy crap!

Am I understanding that the groom does not have leave scheduled yet to attend the wedding?

What if he doesn't get it?

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Sun May 11, 2008 3:50 pm

peacock2121 wrote:Holy crap!

Am I understanding that the groom does not have leave scheduled yet to attend the wedding?

What if he doesn't get it?
I think I had mentioned that he couldn't request it until three months before. Your last question is GW's greatest fear.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#5 Post by kayrharris » Sun May 11, 2008 3:53 pm

That sure makes it hard to plan a big wedding. Surely they allow these leaves more often than not. Here's hoping for good news on that front!

Just don't look at the figures any more than you have to. It won't make it cost any less and you'll feel better in the long run. :shock:
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin