Goslings!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Goslings!

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:49 am

Seven of them, hatched sometime this weekend. :)

They've gone for a swim in the pond, but now they're cuddling with their mom in the nest again. I thought they never went back to the nest after being hatched, but it's wet and chilly today, after the week of summery weather we just had.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:23 am

Can you post pictures of them?

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:28 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Can you post pictures of them?
I don't have my digital camera with me, but maybe I can get a decent picutre with the camera in my cellphone. I'll try at lunchtime.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:51 am

I don't have my digital camera with me, but maybe I can get a decent picutre with the camera in my cellphone. I'll try at lunchtime.

Can't a celebrity go anywhere outside the TMZ without being hounded by the paparazzi?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:05 am

ulysses5019 wrote:

Can't a celebrity go anywhere outside the TMZ without being hounded by the paparazzi?
Sorry. All you goslings look alike to me, anyway.

So which web site would people recommend for a paparazzi posting some photos? 8)

gsabc

Re: Goslings!

#6 Post by gsabc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:32 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Seven of them, hatched sometime this weekend. :)

They've gone for a swim in the pond, but now they're cuddling with their mom in the nest again. I thought they never went back to the nest after being hatched, but it's wet and chilly today, after the week of summery weather we just had.
Wouldn't mind if they stayed goslings. They grow up into the evil, hissing, attacking, pooping geese that prevent us from using the previously clean and pleasant nearby pond areas for picnics. I say send in the egg thieving critters before they hatch, or else encourage roast goose as a holiday dinner.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#7 Post by AnnieCamaro » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:39 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
So which web site would people recommend for a paparazzi posting some photos? 8)
When I want to post photos of certain puppies and babies, I use photobucket.com to upload selected pictures from my computer. It's fairly straightforward and easy to use. (I've never tried to move photos directly from the camera to the Photobucket site, so I don't know if that's easy.)
Sou iu koto de.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:41 am

gsabc wrote: Wouldn't mind if they stayed goslings. They grow up into the evil, hissing, attacking, pooping geese that prevent us from using the previously clean and pleasant nearby pond areas for picnics. I say send in the egg thieving critters before they hatch, or else encourage roast goose as a holiday dinner.
I don't think they're evil and they don't hiss and attack unless you're annoying them!

But they could use some instruction from a good herding dog regarding some reasonable limits on their toilet territory.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#9 Post by AnnieCamaro » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:45 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
But they could use some instruction from a good herding dog regarding some reasonable limits on their toilet territory.
I was going to be a cattle dog, not a goose dog, but I'm willing to try to teach them some manners. Some birds (and evil squirrels) simply don't understand the rules of modern civilized behavior.
Sou iu koto de.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:46 am

AnnieCamaro wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
When I want to post photos of certain puppies and babies, I use photobucket.com to upload selected pictures from my computer. It's fairly straightforward and easy to use. (I've never tried to move photos directly from the camera to the Photobucket site, so I don't know if that's easy.)
Thanks, Annie!

Actually, to get the photos out of my cellphone camera, I have to e-mail them to myself. Then I can save them on my computer to upload to the web. I just tried that with a couple photos I had taken with the phone last summer. It works, although the resolution of the photos is pretty poor, compared to my regular camera.

(And I think my regular camera has been acting fussy because I'm using rechargable batteries in it, which don't quite have the same voltage as the disposable ones.)

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:03 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote: Wouldn't mind if they stayed goslings. They grow up into the evil, hissing, attacking, pooping geese that prevent us from using the previously clean and pleasant nearby pond areas for picnics. I say send in the egg thieving critters before they hatch, or else encourage roast goose as a holiday dinner.
I don't think they're evil and they don't hiss and attack unless you're annoying them!

Goslings aren't evil. As the song goes, though, you've got to be carefully taught, and their parents are masters at teaching evil against other species.

Annoying them is relative. Just being within 50 feet is often enough to have them start coming at you. And when you can't even put down a standard-sized picnic blanket without covering up twenty or so goose turds, it's time to find another picnic spot.

tanstaafl2

#12 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:18 am

Oh wait, you wanted pictures of baby geese!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:03 am

gsabc wrote: Annoying them is relative. Just being within 50 feet is often enough to have them start coming at you.
Ah, well, that's where it's an advantage having office geese. They get used to sharing their parking lot with us. :)

And now they've gone for a walk somewhere, so I don't have any photos yet.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:47 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:

Oh wait, you wanted pictures of baby geese!
The sight of that many children makes me shudder.

I feel so lucky that my children were born one at a time.

mellytu74

#15 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:40 am

I am looking for office gosslings here but haven't seen any. A bunch of geese are fond of the lawn by my boss's window, so we've been on alert.

TLAF DID report many ducks at the shore but I don't know if any are ducklings.

She & our next-door neighbor walked up the block and a half to the bay the other day. She reported there were ducks all up the street, sitting in the little grass plots by the curb and a lot of ducks at the park.

A couple followed her home but I think they are the two duicks that visit every morning.

I asked if there were ducklings. She said she couldn't tell.

There have been as many as 70 ducks in the park/bay by the park area. Sometimes, they hang out on the boat slips.

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 05, 2008 11:46 am

I finally got a nice picture of them in front of the office, using my cell camera. The resolution of that barely leaves the goslings as indistinct blobs, but this will count as an experiment with my new PhotoBucket account.

Sadly, they're down to six goslings, this week. :(

gsabc

#17 Post by gsabc » Mon May 05, 2008 11:49 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Sadly, they're down to six goslings, this week. :(
Believe me, they ain't an endangered species. I won't cry too hard about one less pooping polluter in the world.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#18 Post by silvercamaro » Mon May 05, 2008 11:49 am

I'm glad to see that both parents are taking an interest in the up-bringing of the young-uns.

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 05, 2008 11:57 am

silvercamaro wrote:I'm glad to see that both parents are taking an interest in the up-bringing of the young-uns.
Geese make very attentive parenting teams!

And it's odd that I haven't noticed any other goslings in the area, yet. They usually get together for some large play groups.

There was another pair of adult geese, loudling honking their complaints about something, outside our windows this morning. But no other little'uns.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#20 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon May 05, 2008 12:01 pm

My (theoretical) Science PAF works at the Federal Center in Denver, where geese abound, and the staff generally loathes them because of the waste problem as identified by gsabc.

They had their chance to solve it a while back and blew it. They hired a family company for janitorial work, a company which also runs a Chinese restaurant. Pretty soon, the maintenance PTB noticed that geese numbers were dwindling, they reviewed security tapes, and they fired the company for hauling off the geese with a certain fate of becoming next Wednesday's special.

I'm sure they would never have hauled off all the geese, but the decreased numbers would have taken care of about 90% of the waste problem.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#21 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon May 05, 2008 12:02 pm

Casey is fabulous at herding geese.

Until they fly.

Then she loses interest.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MarleysGh0st

#22 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 05, 2008 12:19 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:Casey is fabulous at herding geese.

Until they fly.

Then she loses interest.
Naturally! The geese aren't playing fair when they fly away.

There's a larger pond in the business park about a half mile from here, where I sometimes go walking at lunchtime. They must be getting serious about discouraging the geese from loitering there, because they had a woman with two very well trained herding dogs hassling the geese. She was using a remote-control toy boat to further chase them in the water. (I only saw them once, but I presume it takes multiple hassles to teach the geese that lesson.)

Plus they've posted "Do Not Feed the Geese" signs.

MarleysGh0st

#23 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 07, 2008 9:13 am

Here's another photo of the goslings, taken with my regular digital camera. The original is 2032 x 1524 pixels; I've used PhotoBucket's automatic resizing feature to reduce it to 640 x 480.

We had two more families of geese show up yesterday--one with two goslings and one with three.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#24 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed May 07, 2008 9:28 am

Awwwwwww!

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 08, 2008 1:53 pm

Stressed out parents may be disturbing the usual tranquility of the playgroups this year.

Two families--one with six goslings, one with eight--were outside the window, standing about ten feet apart, with the parents making those threatening snake-like gestures at each other, until two of them resorted to fisticuffs (or, uhh, wing-and-beakticuffs).

I think it's the effect of being unwelcome at the larger pond over in the business park this season. I saw the woman with her herding dogs again at lunch yesterday. The dogs ran around the pond until the geese were clustered in the center, then one dog swam right out after them until they flew away in frustration. And those were only the childless geese; the ones with goslings were already staying far away.

The real estate situation is bad all over!