Chinese balloon

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Weyoun

Re: Chinese balloon

#26 Post by Weyoun » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:37 am

I see that all the usual terrible people think this is a great crisis, though the actual harm occurring isn’t very clear to me.

Weird how the far right wing in this country doesn’t trust the military, just like it doesn’t trust the FBI, but it does trust Putin.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#27 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:37 pm

Ground Stop announced at Myrtle Beach Airport due to Chinese Balloon
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

tlynn78

#28 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:07 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:43 am
Montana: Big Spy Country
Shhh!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

#29 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:17 pm

Wilmington, Cape Fear and Myrtle Beach airports closed. Military Jets flying in circles in the air nearby
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

#30 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:31 pm

I can see it Southeast of me
Suitguy is not bitter.

#31 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:44 pm

We saw the shoot down
Suitguy is not bitter.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#32 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:50 pm

Was it from below or above?
Well, then

#33 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:03 pm

Shot it from below
Suitguy is not bitter.

silverscreenselect

#34 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:37 pm

There's a good chance they'll be able to recover most of the debris from the landing site and find out a lot more about what the balloon was doing and what technology was involved than if it crashed on solid ground.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#35 Post by BackInTex » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:05 pm

Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:44 pm
We saw the shoot down
After it had completed it's intelligence gathering mission. I'm sure whatever it captured it has already transmitted back to home base.

Thankfully the Bermuda Triangle will remain a mystery to the Chinese.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#36 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:02 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:37 pm
There's a good chance they'll be able to recover most of the debris from the landing site and find out a lot more about what the balloon was doing and what technology was involved than if it crashed on solid ground.
Hopefully. Conversely, if it had been shot down over land recovery would have been easier what with salt contamination and drifting etc
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#37 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:46 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:05 pm
We saw the shoot down
After it had completed it's intelligence gathering mission. I'm sure whatever it captured it has already transmitted back to home base.

You do realize they've had spy satellites in place for years (as do we) with much more equipment onboard than the balloon did. Since the balloon had no steering or redirection capacity, most of what it could have captured was shots of empty land.

Weyoun

#38 Post by Weyoun » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:58 pm

BackInTex wrote:
We saw the shoot down

Wank, wank. I am sure the balloon captured VERY CRITICAL info about Montana.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#39 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:00 pm

Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:46 pm
BackInTex wrote:
We saw the shoot down

You do realize they've had spy satellites in place for years (as do we) with much more equipment onboard than the balloon did. Since the balloon had no steering or redirection capacity, most of what it could have captured was shots of empty land.
There were reports that it was steered.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#40 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:01 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:58 pm
BackInTex wrote:
We saw the shoot down

Are you that oblivious?
Well, then

tlynn78

#41 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:07 pm

:wink:
Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:01 pm
Weyoun wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Are you that oblivious?
Lol!

Just another example of the lengths some will go to in order to preserve their fragile narrative.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

tlynn78

#42 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:12 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:00 pm
BackInTex wrote:

There were reports that it was steered.
C'mon, man. It left mainland China, somehow (fickle winds!!) Completely missed Russian airspace, just happened to wander over some of our missile silo locations, before heading out to sea.

I'm just wondering what story we're being distracted from this time.

Spock

#43 Post by Spock » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:13 pm

BackInTex wrote:
We saw the shoot down

I figured you would be dismissive of the whole thing-but I remember 21 and a half years ago-just prior to 9/11, when the Chinese shot down our spy plane and you were all over the Bush Admin for provocations etc etc.

You might not be a paid Chinese agent-but you ALWAYS take their corner. Out of ideological sympathies I presume.

Interesting that you argue that it is not steerable when most reports indicate otherwise.

You might call it empty land-(Taking the Chinese corner again)-thus deflecting attention away from Malmstrom AFB in the center of the state-Great Falls area.

Weyoun

#44 Post by Weyoun » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:15 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Are you that oblivious?
Is there some big secret that they are missile silo there? I mean some of them are even on private property. I mean we’re talking about Cold War locations. Who are you kidding?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#45 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:22 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:15 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

Are you that oblivious?
Is there some big secret that they are missile silo there? I mean some of them are even on private property. I mean we’re talking about Cold War locations. Who are you kidding?
What's your point? No big deal?
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#46 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:44 pm

Spock wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:13 pm
You might not be a paid Chinese agent-but you ALWAYS take their corner. Out of ideological sympathies I presume.
That's about what I'd expect from you.

Biden made a decision based on the risk to people below, even those in red states through which the balloon traveled most of the way. As soon as it got over the water, it went down. If they had shot the balloon down over land and it hit somebody, you'd have been blaming Biden for that.

There have already been consequences for the Chinese. Sec of State Blinken canceled a trip to China that the Chinese wanted. And we don't know what has gone on in private with the Chinese.

And talking about taking the Chinese side is hilarious coming from someone who was practically fellating Vladimir Putin prior to the invasion of Ukraine.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#47 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:52 pm

Thanks, SSS, for ignoring my comments.
Well, then

Spock

#48 Post by Spock » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:08 pm

SSS>>>"You do realize they've had spy satellites in place for years (as do we) with much more equipment onboard than the balloon did. Since the balloon had no steering or redirection capacity, most of what it could have captured was shots of empty land.<<<<

I love that you have enough knowledge of the spy capability of various platforms to absolutely know for sure that there are no advantages to a platform that can just hang around an area for awhile instead of just zipping by hundreds of miles in the sky.

I wonder after it randomly floated near Malmstrom AFB and then headed southeast to Missouri, I wonder if it just happened to randomly fly anywhere near Ellsworth AFB, Rapid City, SD.

Just empty lands to you-but pretty important in the strategic picture.

silverscreenselect

#49 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:12 pm

Spock wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:08 pm
I love that you have enough knowledge of the spy capability of various platforms to absolutely know for sure that there are no advantages to a platform that can just hang around an area for awhile instead of just zipping by hundreds of miles in the sky.
I don't know much about the spy capability of various platforms. But our military is going to know a lot more after they fish the remains of the balloon out of the ocean than if it had crashed on top of T-Girl's bathroom.

Spock

#50 Post by Spock » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:24 pm

#1-SSS>>>"You do realize they've had spy satellites in place for years (as do we) with much more equipment onboard than the balloon did.">>>

#2-Also SSS-later>>>"I don't know much about the spy capability of various platforms But our military is going to know a lot more after they fish the remains of the balloon out of the ocean than if it had crashed on top of T-Girl's bathroom."<<<

OK-are you the same person
#1-presents as a well-qualified expert in remote sensing and spying technology.

#2-Presents as "Gee, gosh golly-IDK much-but the experts will handle it" and throws in a gratuitous slap at T-Girl.

To #1. A question I have always wondered-seriously
If satellites are so great and cover everything-explain how come they could never tell us what happened to Malaysian Air 370?