A gunman killed 14 children and a teacher at a Texas elementary school

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

A gunman killed 14 children and a teacher at a Texas elementary school

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 24, 2022 3:18 pm

On Tuesday afternoon, a gunman walked into an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, and killed 14 children and a teacher, Gov. Greg Abbott said at a news conference on Tuesday. Police are believed to have killed the gunman.

The assailant was an 18-year-old man, who abandoned his vehicle and entered the school with a handgun and possibly a rifle, Mr. Abbott said.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

Re: A gunman killed 14 children and a teacher at a Texas elementary school

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 24, 2022 6:16 pm

Update: 18 children dead.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 24, 2022 10:13 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:16 pm
19 children and two adults, not counting the shooter.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 24, 2022 10:14 pm

CBS pulled tonight's scheduled season finale episode of FBI, which concerned a school shooting, and aired a rerun in its place. The episode had about 20 minutes pre-empted due to President Biden's speech about Uvalde.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 24, 2022 10:14 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:13 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
The other adult is the shooter's grandmother.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 25, 2022 7:07 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:14 pm
Tue May 24, 2022 10:13 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
The other adult is the shooter's grandmother.
CORRECTION: The other adult is a teacher. The grandmother as well, but they're not counting her.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 25, 2022 7:58 am

16 of 19 children victims of the elementary school shooting in Uvalde, TX.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 25, 2022 12:42 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:07 am
CORRECTION: The other adult is a teacher. The grandmother as well, but they're not counting her.
The grandmother is still alive.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 25, 2022 1:19 pm

Wed May 25, 2022 12:42 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:07 am
The grandmother is still alive.
Yes, as in every situation like this, inaccurate reports are publicized.

The latest news is that the shooter posted that he was going to shoot his grandmother, then posted that he did. He shot her in the face.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Thu May 26, 2022 8:56 am

Onlookers urged police to charge into Texas school

UVALDE, Texas (AP) — Frustrated onlookers urged police officers to charge into the Texas elementary school where a gunman’s rampage killed 19 children and two teachers, witnesses said Wednesday, as investigators worked to track the massacre that lasted upwards of 40 minutes and ended when the 18-year-old shooter was killed by a Border Patrol team.

“Go in there! Go in there!” nearby women shouted at the officers soon after the attack began, said Juan Carranza, 24, who saw the scene from outside his house, across the street from Robb Elementary School in the close-knit town of Uvalde. Carranza said the officers did not go in.

MORE: https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas ... 83df6e4683

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:19 pm

They're all so cute! Brimming with the possibilities of the future . . .

This is heartbreaking.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 27, 2022 8:22 am

Georgia Republican senatorial candidate Herschel Walker, a favorite of Flock and Donald Trump, was asked whether we should adopt stricter gun safety measures. His first answer was: "What I like to do is see it and everything and stuff." That was the night of his victory party, so giving him the benefit of the doubt that he this might have been a quick, off-the-cuff response, Fox News asked him the same question two days later. His response this time: "What about looking at getting a department that can look at young men that’s looking at women that’s looking at their social media?" Not surprisingly, Walker does not want to debate Democratic candidate Raphael Warnock this fall. He did not take part in any of the Republican debates.

Walker is somewhat of an expert on gun violence. His ex-wife got a restraining order against him in 2005, and the judge ordered his guns taken away temporarily. She claimed he repeatedly held a gun to her head and threatened to blow her brains out. Walker said he had mental health issues at the time that he has since resolved. The runner-up in the primary, Gary Black, has already said he won't support Walker in the general election: "Anybody who has put their hands on women like he has and has been unaccountable, has not taken responsibility for his actions – says he wrote a book, but then he won’t come clean on the rest of it – he hasn’t earned my vote."

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#13 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:43 am

SSS, start your own thread.
Well, then

Vandal
Director of Promos

#14 Post by Vandal » Fri May 27, 2022 3:36 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

themanintheseersuckersuit

#15 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat May 28, 2022 5:17 pm

Somewhere there is a class picture that will break your heart
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Sat May 28, 2022 10:35 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:17 pm
Somewhere there is a class picture that will break your heart
No thanks.

Weyoun

#17 Post by Weyoun » Sun May 29, 2022 1:55 pm

Gun nuts are awfully quiet.

A lot of their beliefs took a hit.

With all those kids being murdered, you would’ve thought a good man with a gun would’ve stopped at all.

It is Texas after all and everyone is packing!

Welp!

Just a shame. I wonder how many more children will have to die because of the insecurity of these people.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 29, 2022 2:27 pm

As I told sss start your own thread.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Sun May 29, 2022 2:35 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 2:27 pm
Why? What better way to honor the dead, particularly the children, than to work toward preventing yet another repeat? —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#20 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 29, 2022 3:35 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 2:35 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Why? What better way to honor the dead, particularly the children, than to work toward preventing yet another repeat? —Bob
Because it's all political at this point. This isn't a political thread. Grow up.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Sun May 29, 2022 4:50 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 3:35 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Because it's all political at this point. This isn't a political thread. Grow up.
(a) You didn't start this thread, so I don't understand why you're claiming moral authority to decide what is and isn't appropriate here. Nor do I understand why people who have jumped all over me for making analogous suggestions in other contexts aren't weighing in here. (Okay -- I'm pretty sure I do understand that latter point.)

(b) I'm not willing to pretend that these tragic, needless deaths have nothing to do with politics. They have everything to do with politics. Our politicians have failed our children.

At least one bereaved parent recognizes this, having refused to meet with Governor Abbott. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#22 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 29, 2022 5:05 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:50 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 3:35 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
(a) You didn't start this thread, so I don't understand why you're claiming moral authority to decide what is and isn't appropriate here. Nor do I understand why people who have jumped all over me for making analogous suggestions in other contexts aren't weighing in here. (Okay -- I'm pretty sure I do understand that latter point.)

(b) I'm not willing to pretend that these tragic, needless deaths have nothing to do with politics. They have everything to do with politics. Our politicians have failed our children.

At least one bereaved parent recognizes this, having refused to meet with Governor Abbott. --Bob
I'm not claiming moral authority. You are following in Beto's footsteps when he crashed Abbott's press conference re what happened. Some threads should just be left alone. But, no. You can't.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 29, 2022 5:08 pm

What the fuck?
Nor do I understand why people who have jumped all over me for making analogous suggestions in other contexts aren't weighing in here. (Okay -- I'm pretty sure I do understand that latter point.)
Going to move THIS to other thread.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#24 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:35 pm

This is why I am in favor of armed teachers. I've modified my stance, however. Since there is huge resistance to making it mandatory, I'm in favor of letting the teachers choose.

They need to defend themselves and their students when all else fails.
A teacher killed in the Uvalde, Texas, elementary school shooting called her police officer husband during the massacre — but he was barred by other law enforcement from going inside after rushing to the scene of the mass shooting, according to a new report.

"She's in the classroom and he's outside. It's terrifying," Uvalde County judge, Bill Mitchell, told The New York Times on Wednesday after he was briefed by sheriff's deputies who responded to the May 24 shooting that left 19 children and two educators dead.

According to Mitchell, Robb Elementary School fourth-grade teacher, Eva Mireles was on the phone with her husband, Ruben Ruiz, a school district police officer, before she died in the attack.

"I don't know what was said," Mitchell told the Times.

The 18-year-old gunman who carried out the massacre with an AR-15 rifle entered the school at 11:28 a.m., opening fire in two adjoining classrooms where teachers and students were.

But it wasn't until about 78 minutes later when a US Border Patrol tactical team finally opened a locked classroom door using a key, stormed inside, and shot and killed the gunman, authorities have said.

jarnon

#25 Post by jarnon » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:42 am

Principal Mandy Gutierrez of Robb Elementary School has been put on leave and will probably be fired. That's after both a building door and a classroom door failed to keep the gunman out. Same for police chief Arredondo (no need to say why).
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי