Interesting Article on Gun Statistics

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kroxquo

Interesting Article on Gun Statistics

#1 Post by kroxquo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:28 am

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/26/world/us ... index.html

Highlights:

The U.S. leads the world in per capita gun ownership - 120 guns per 100 people. The Falkland Islands is 2nd with 62 per 100 people

The U.S. is first among developed countries in firearm homicide rate at 4.1 per 100K people. Bulgaria is second at .6 per 100K

The U.S. accounts for 44% of global suicides by firearms. India is second and 23%

From 1998 to 2019, the U.S. had over 100 mass shootings. No other country had more than 8.

Bottom line - there are too many guns in this country and it is way past time to do something about it.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Spock

Re: Interesting Article on Gun Statistics

#2 Post by Spock » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:04 am

kroxquo wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:28 am
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/26/world/us ... index.html

Highlights:

The U.S. leads the world in per capita gun ownership - 120 guns per 100 people. The Falkland Islands is 2nd with 62 per 100 people

The U.S. is first among developed countries in firearm homicide rate at 4.1 per 100K people. Bulgaria is second at .6 per 100K

The U.S. accounts for 44% of global suicides by firearms. India is second and 23%

From 1998 to 2019, the U.S. had over 100 mass shootings. No other country had more than 8.

Bottom line - there are too many guns in this country and it is way past time to do something about it.
And yet-Places like North Dakota and Montana which are chock full of guns don't seem to have a "Gun" problem whereas places like the South side of Chicago do.

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:29 am

Spock wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:04 am
kroxquo wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:28 am
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/26/world/us ... index.htmlHighlights:

And yet-Places like North Dakota and Montana which are chock full of guns don't seem to have a "Gun" problem whereas places like the South side of Chicago do.
That's because Chicago gang members can easily get guns in Indiana. Local and federal law enforcement should be cracking down on illegal guns, while respecting the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

However, North Dakota and Montana aren't a gun utopia. Accidental gun injury and suicide by firearm are also serious problems. I read that in 2019, North Dakota had the 15th highest firearm suicide rate in the country.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:42 am

Spock wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:04 am
That's because it takes two to tango. A less dense population means less opportunity for people to shoot each other. However, if you look at gun suicides by states, here are the top ten rankings:

1.Alaska
2. Wyoming
3. Nevada
4. Montana
5. New Mexico
6. Idaho
7. Colorado
8. Utah
9. Arizona
10. Oregon

North Dakota ranks 21st. The bottom five states: Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and, in last place, New York.

In terms of overall firearm mortality, the rankings are a bit different but not much:

1. Louisiana
2. Alaska
3. Montana
4. Nevada
5. Arizona

North Dakota is very low at 35, but your crime-ridden Illinois is 38th and New York is 45th.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosm ... irearm.htm
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

kroxquo

#5 Post by kroxquo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:46 am

Another interesting fact from the article. There are only three countries in the world where owning and/or keeping a gun is a constitutional right - the U.S., Mexico, and Guatemala. And in the other two, that right is highly regulated. Mexico has only one legal gun store in the entire country and it is run by the army.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:00 pm

We should follow other counties?

I really don’t give a rats ass about how other run things. We are still the number one destination for immigration. And it is precisely for the freedoms offered here and what they allow those who want to improve their lot in life.

Those who don’t, or already have theirs, want to restrict those freedoms.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:23 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:00 pm

I really don’t give a rats ass about how other run things. We are still the number one destination for immigration. And it is precisely for the freedoms offered here and what they allow those who want to improve their lot in life.

Seriously? You think people come here for the freedom to buy weapons? I think the evidence shows the vast majority of immigrants come here for economic reasons. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:33 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:23 pm
BackInTex wrote:

Seriously? You think people come here for the freedom to buy weapons? I think the evidence shows the vast majority of immigrants come here for economic reasons. --Bob
Not what I said, Bob. Not even close.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:38 am

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:33 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:23 pm
BackInTex wrote:

Not what I said, Bob. Not even close.
Then I don't see how what you wrote is remotely responsive to kroxquo's point. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Weyoun

#10 Post by Weyoun » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:06 am

BackInTex wrote:

Have you ever seen a kid shot by a gun?

I mean, I am sure that you have. Patrolling the mean streets of Conroe or Katy or Friendswood or wherever the hell enclave you are from, you’ve had to Cowboy Up to fight off the government and those ethnic car jackers. I’m sure the nightmares of those street fights keeps you up at night.

I’m totally on the same page. Every once a while I can’t sleep, thinking about that kid shot in the chest or that one shot in the head. Both accidental, of course.

But then I fall back asleep because - thank God for our freedoms! I tell myself. A few dead kids is certainly worth it.

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:46 am

Weyoun wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:06 am
BackInTex wrote:

I mean, I am sure that you have. Patrolling the mean streets of Conroe or Katy or Friendswood or wherever the hell enclave you are from, you’ve had to Cowboy Up to fight off the government and those ethnic car jackers. I’m sure the nightmares of those street fights keeps you up at night.

I’m totally on the same page. Every once a while I can’t sleep, thinking about that kid shot in the chest or that one shot in the head. Both accidental, of course.

But then I fall back asleep because - thank God for our freedoms! I tell myself. A few dead kids is certainly worth it.
Wow, congrats, you are a complete ass hat.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:49 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:46 am
Weyoun wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Wow, congrats, you are a complete ass hat.
I have a great idea! Why don't you practice in a gun-free zone like Chicago? Then you won't have to worry about kids being shot up by evil, sentient guns!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:54 am

Weyoun wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

The guns aren't the problem. You yourself admit we have a spiritual crisis in this country. That leads to both violence and suicide, and drug addiction, and many other problems folks face here.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:16 am

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:54 am
Weyoun wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

The guns aren't the problem. You yourself admit we have a spiritual crisis in this country. That leads to both violence and suicide, and drug addiction, and many other problems folks face here.
The data contradicts your hypothesis. Most of the developed world is far more secular, and far less spiritual, than is the United States, yet gun violence almost everywhere else is much less common than it is here. --Bob

Weyoun

#15 Post by Weyoun » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:33 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Weyoun wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Glad we agree - since there are such entrenched problems in this country, in the mean time we need to restrict the sale of guns, as well as the access to them, to prevent these many horrible deaths.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:32 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:33 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

Glad we agree - since there are such entrenched problems in this country, in the mean time we need to restrict the sale of guns, as well as the access to them, to prevent these many horrible deaths.
We probably need to get rid of drugs, alcohol, fatty food, psychos, cigarettes, poverty, laziness, gangbangers, global warming, stupidity, selfrighteousness, Teslas that explode, terrorists, fossil fuels, flu, fascism, socialism, and those who drink too many sodas.
Well, then

Weyoun

#17 Post by Weyoun » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:11 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:32 pm
Weyoun wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

We probably need to get rid of drugs, alcohol, fatty food, psychos, cigarettes, poverty, laziness, gangbangers, global warming, stupidity, selfrighteousness, Teslas that explode, terrorists, fossil fuels, flu, fascism, socialism, and those who drink too many sodas.
Again - thanks for making my point.

The remarkable thing about the gun lobby is how much it goes out of the way to resist restrictions, and to ensure those restrictions on the books are poorly enforced - all to appeal to a bunch of weirdos who think everyone is out to kill them.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:16 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:11 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

The remarkable thing about the gun lobby is how much it goes out of the way to resist restrictions, and to ensure those restrictions on the books are poorly enforced - all to appeal to a bunch of weirdos who think everyone is out to kill them.
I can see the problem with, for example. Indiana stores that sell illegal guns. But, what does that have to do with the other stuff, peripheral or not?
Well, then

Spock

#19 Post by Spock » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:29 am

Weyoun wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

Spent much time at a gun store have you? I haven't seen a lot of wierdos-but I have seen fathers helping their 15 year old daughters picking out a gun for a deer hunt and fathers and their adult sons spending time together looking at guns for an upcoming goose hunt to the Canadian prairies etc etc.

But, by all means, keep sneering at freedom and classifying gun owners as wierdos. I am sure that is the best way to make us want to give up our guns.

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:12 am

Spock wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:29 am
Spent much time at a gun store have you? I haven't seen a lot of wierdos-but I have seen fathers helping their 15 year old daughters picking out a gun for a deer hunt and fathers and their adult sons spending time together looking at guns for an upcoming goose hunt to the Canadian prairies etc etc.
A few years ago, Mrs. SSS and I went to a Sunday afternoon play at the Cobb County Civic Center. The complex has two buildings. One is a 500-seat theater (where we went), and the other is an all-purpose building immediately adjacent where they have basketball games, trade shows, and similar events. That day, there was a gun show being held in the all-purpose building. There may have been some fathers helping their 15 year old daughters pick out a gun for a deer hunt. But I saw a whole bunch of people that I wouldn't want to be around in a secluded location.

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:47 am

Spock wrote:
Weyoun wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

But, by all means, keep sneering at freedom and classifying gun owners as wierdos. I am sure that is the best way to make us want to give up our guns.
The weirdos have outnumbered the hunters. I'm talking about the ones who have a huge gun collection; those who walk around town with a gun on their hip or a rifle slung over their shoulder.

I'm not anti-guns, I have a 12-guage and two 1911s; I'm anti-gun nut.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#22 Post by tlynn78 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:16 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:12 am
Spock wrote:
A few years ago, Mrs. SSS and I went to a Sunday afternoon play at the Cobb County Civic Center. The complex has two buildings. One is a 500-seat theater (where we went), and the other is an all-purpose building immediately adjacent where they have basketball games, trade shows, and similar events. That day, there was a gun show being held in the all-purpose building. There may have been some fathers helping their 15 year old daughters pick out a gun for a deer hunt. But I saw a whole bunch of people that I wouldn't want to be around in a secluded location.
I'd be willing to bet they thought the same about you.

Spock

#23 Post by Spock » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:36 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:16 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:12 am
Spock wrote:
I'd be willing to bet they thought the same about you.
Were they inner-city gangsters by chance?

Funny how the usual suspects here always trash the stereotypical redneck when it comes to guns, but nary a word about the inner city gangsters who really blow the USA's "Gun Crime" Statistics way past that of other countries.

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:59 am

Spock wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:36 am
Funny how the usual suspects here always trash the stereotypical redneck when it comes to guns, but nary a word about the inner city gangsters who really blow the USA's "Gun Crime" Statistics way past that of other countries.
Funny how you always base your assumptions on watching Fox News recycle the same handful of video clips over and over again instead of actually looking at statistics. For the record, here's where states with a lot of "inner city gangsters" rank in terms of gun deaths:

49. Massachusetts
48. Rhode Island
47. New Jersey
46. Connecticut
45. New York
38. Illinois
32. California

ne1410s

#25 Post by ne1410s » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:14 am

You can lead a trumper to facts but you can’t make them think.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."