Why is CPAC rooting for America to fail?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Re: Why is CPAC rooting for America to fail?

#51 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:01 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:39 pm
Weyoun wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:11 am
An antigen from a traditional vaccine is also a protein the body is not familiar with. Is that not "autoimmune" also?
No. In a traditional vaccine, the body does not make the protein that it creates antibodies to destroy. Those proteins are foreign and from an external source (the vaccine).

mRNA instructs the body to create something, the proteins, that then it creates antibodies to destroy. So the body destroys something it created itself.
Weyoun wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:11 am
I am not talking down to you - you're just not willing to listen. You started with the assumption that these vaccines are scary and bad, and you've never changed your mind. You cite fears about mRNA
Tell me why you would advise against giving the vaccine to teenage boys. But not girls? Why not pre-pubescent boys. I'm listening.
Do you realize that only (in the U.S.) the Pfizer and Modera vaccines have mRNA?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#52 Post by Estonut » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:30 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:26 pm
I did read something today that surprised me. Before the development of the polio vaccine in the early 1950s, polio killed about 2,000 people a year in the United States. Of course, the population of the US in 1950 was about 150 million, so 2,000 deaths then corresponds to about 4,500 deaths today.
• In 1916, polio killed 2,000 people in NYC alone.
• In addition to the people killed, it was crippling roughly 10x that number each year.

Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:26 pm
So a vaccine that saved about 2,000 deaths a year in 1950 was hailed as a miracle and people rushed to get it as soon as it was available, but a vaccine that could save many times that number is being rejected by our right-wing medical "experts."
• "As soon as it was available" was not before 3 years of testing and the approval process.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#53 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:27 am

Estonut wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:30 am
• In 1916, polio killed 2,000 people in NYC alone.
• In addition to the people killed, it was crippling roughly 10x that number each year.
• "As soon as it was available" was not before 3 years of testing and the approval process.
The national death total in 2016 was about 6,000. Then, as now, NYC's population density made it particularly susceptible to communicable diseases. Your use of that one statistic is like trying to extrapolate national hurricane deaths based on the Galveston storm. And if you're going to do that comparison, COVID has killed over 50,000 in New York City. There are also an as-yet unknown number of people who didn't "die" of COVID whose long-term health will be compromised.

Your figures on the polio vaccine testing process are similarly flawed. Early tests on the vaccine began in 1952 but were limited due to the relatively small supply of vaccine available. The large-scale field test began in April 1954, and the results were published slightly more than one year later. The vaccine began being administered on a large scale before the end of the year. The science of immunology and our testing, measurement, and data sharing capabilities have improved considerably in the intervening 65 years.

I'm not trying to diminish the danger from polio in the first half of the 20th century. But there wasn't the concerted pushback there is now, even though our medical science and pharmaceutical manufacturing was considerably less advanced then than now. If anti-vaxers were as active then and had a Fox News and social media network at their disposal, things could have gone considerably differently.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#54 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:38 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:01 pm

Do you realize that only (in the U.S.) the Pfizer and Modera vaccines have mRNA?
Of course I realize that.

I also know a lot more than the average person about the vaccines. My brother in law is a Principal Research Scientist at Pfizer and worked his ass off last year during the development of the vaccine. His wife, my wife's sister is a former Pfizer research scientist as well. Both have Ph.D.s, one in analytical chemistry, the other in some sort of biology. They've all taken the vaccine so I'm sure it is relatively safe. At least they feel it is. But that is not my point, and never really has been. Despite what Weyoun thinks, I'm not afraid of the vaccines. I'm not scared, I don't even think them dangerous.

Dangerous is a word that is relative to one's personal risk aversion. Some will say riding a bike without a helmet is dangerous. Yet, most of us grew up doing just that and we never considered it dangerous....until someone told us.

Just because I don't think something is dangerous does not mean I don't think it has the potential to do harm. And whether I decide to participate in something I think dangerous, or not, should be my decision. And I get to make that decision based on my personal assessment of the risks and consequences.

No medication is 100% safe, for 100% of the population. Despite the superior intellect of those in the medical profession, they can only guess at the results (educated and statistically supported guessing). No one knows what the long term effect of the COVID vaccines will be. Heck, watch daytime TV and watch all the ads by lawyers about this drug or that drug or that medical device, all of which had more research and testing than the COVID vaccines before being fully approved by the FDA.

I'm very healthy. Other than a few mechanical issues (gall bladder and hips) I've rarely needed medical care. Outside of two bouts of self-inflicted bronchitis (using a sander inside a closed garage without a mask, cleaning out a dusty, moldy house without a mask) I've not needed any medical care for over 20 years. I don't get sick. I don't take any scheduled medications. I did take the flu vaccine when it was conveniently offered by my employer in the lobby of my building. I suspect if I were to contract COVID I would be one to have a mild case (as did my son in law, daughter, his parents, and his grandmother). Good genes or just good living or both. I don't know.

All that said
Surprise!
I've been vaccinated. For months. I did not get vaccinated for fear of getting COVID but to be allowed unrestricted travel and meetings by my employer. I wasn't particularly pleased with that requirement but as I said above, I'm not afraid of the vaccine and I'm 62 and am done with creating offspring so any long term effect will be on me only, and for no more than 38 years or so.

I choose to take the Pfizer vaccine because one of the lessor known side effects is the urge to slap bald guys with long beards and thick glasses on the back of the head (my b-i-l is in that category). :)

Most of my kids will not be getting the vaccine. One had COVID already, anyway. I do have one that is vaccinated.

We will have to wait and see what daytime TV commercials look like in 10 years.

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#55 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:17 pm

Well, I"m glad that for, whatever the reason, BiT got vaccinated. Here's someone who didn't:

[Unvaccinated] Conservative radio host, former vaccine skeptic ill with Covid-19
A conservative radio host in Tennessee who expressed skepticism about Covid-19 vaccines and was unvaccinated is hospitalized in critical care with the disease, his station announced Friday. Phil Valentine, who hosts a show bearing his name on WWTN-FM in Nashville, contracted the coronavirus a little more than a week ago and is battling pneumonia, his family said in a statement posted on Twitter.

“He is in the hospital in the critical care unit breathing with assistance but is NOT on a ventilator,” the family said. “Phil would like for his listeners to know that while he has never been an “anti-vaxer” he regrets not being more vehemently “Pro-Vaccine”, and looks forward to being able to more vigorously advocate that position as soon as he is back on the air, which we all hope will be soon.
This is part of a lot of anti-vaxers' attempts to have their cake and eat it. They claim that they aren't anti-vax but pro-freedom or some nonsense like that. But here's what Valentine said in the months before his illness:
I'm not an anti-vaxxer. I'm just using common sense. What are my odds of getting COVID? They're pretty low. What are my odds of dying from COVID if I do get it? Probably way less than one percent,
If you're not at high risk of dying from COVID then you're probably safer not getting it. That evokes shrieks of horror from many, but it's true.
If I decide not to get vaccinated, I'm not putting anyone else's life in danger except perhaps people who have made the same decision. That's because, he wrote, the vaccine is highly effective so there wasn't any way he could infect someone who's been vaccinated if he got Covid-19.
He also argued that he wasn't an "anti-vaxxer," he was just a "logical thinker."
If you've had (Covid-19) you have natural immunity. Only those in danger of dying from (Covid-19) should've gotten vaccinated.
To whatever extent his arguments had some validity several months ago, the rapid spread of the Delta variant has thrown those calculations out the window. And the longer this disease continues to spread in the community, the more the chances of even deadlier variants arising. Anyone who contracts COVID might become Patient Zero for the Epsilon Variant.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#56 Post by Estonut » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:27 pm

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:27 am
Estonut wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:30 am
Your figures on the polio vaccine testing process are similarly flawed. Early tests on the vaccine began in 1952 but were limited due to the relatively small supply of vaccine available. The large-scale field test began in April 1954, and the results were published slightly more than one year later. The vaccine began being administered on a large scale before the end of the year.
My figures are flawed, yet they match yours exactly? 1952 + 3 years of testing and the approval process = 1955. So you are arguing, despite agreeing on the dates?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#57 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:05 am

Estonut wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:27 pm
My figures are flawed, yet they match yours exactly? 1952 + 3 years of testing and the approval process = 1955. So you are arguing, despite agreeing on the dates?
The first two years of testing were of limited validity due to the smaller sample sizes. So there was comparable large scale testing done.

The polio researchers did the best they could with the methods they had available. We have better capabilities today so we are able to progress more quickly to the statistically valid large testing stage. In case you hadn't noticed, scientific breakthroughs in all fields allow us to do things much more quickly today than in 1952. You can run programs on your phone in seconds that would have required the world's largest and most expensive computers hours, if at all, to complete back then. That doesn't mean that your phone is less accurate or reliable than those 50s computers.

What your argument really boils down to is that we're able to do things more quickly today than we could 65 years ago and that, in and of itself, is reason to be suspicious. It's a heck of a lot easier and quicker for scientists to send copies of their findings to one another today than in 1955, but that doesn't mean that that work was safer or more reliable back then because it took longer. I would certainly hope that we could test, approve, and manufacture vaccines today more quickly than in 1955.

BackInTex

#58 Post by BackInTex » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:06 am

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:05 am
[q I would certainly hope that we could test, approve, and manufacture vaccines today more quickly than in 1955.
Everything should be much quicker other than the actual tests. They are like baking cakes. We can mix more batter and faster but once in the ovens, they still take 45-55 minutes to bake. Once out of the ovens they can be frosted with light speed.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Weyoun

#59 Post by Weyoun » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:13 am

I am happy that BiT got vaccinated. While he minimizes his risk factors, his age is the most important one. I just admitted to the hospital last night an incredibly nice 60ish person who was not vaccinated. Not on any medications. He’s now on Optiflow, which is a just about 1.5 steps from being placed on the ventilator.

BiT wanted to know my thoughts on the vaccines and teenage boys.

So far, we’ve had about 50 million vaccines to people under the age of 30. We’ve had 1200 reported cases of myocarditis, mostly in that population. About 900 of the cases were males, and it’s skewed to the under 21 age range. About 300 cases resulted in hospitalization. No deaths reported. From what I can tell, at least 280 of those patients have been discharged from the hospital.

So there’s a risk and it does involve the heart so I understand why someone would be cautious.

But even that is a seemingly minor risk. And there’s no concern for side effects that have been substantiated among other ages or among women.

I think if you refuse the vaccine based on your purported medical understanding of things, you’re just scared of the dark.

I also very much doubt there’ll be any sort of side effect that will manifest itself only 10 years from now. Vaccines haven’t done that before. A more traditional medicine might, but you’re only talking two doses here.

I’m sure people will try to tie autism or something to it, but whatever. We already know the mortality curve of the unvaccinated is going to be the one coming up short of previous expectations.

silverscreenselect

#60 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:38 am

Weyoun wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:13 am
I also very much doubt there’ll be any sort of side effect that will manifest itself only 10 years from now. Vaccines haven’t done that before. A more traditional medicine might, but you’re only talking two doses here.
What I'm more concerned about is the possibility that those who have been infected and then recover may suffer a recurrence or long-term aftereffects. I know that Krox's daughter was unable to resume her previous level of hiking activity months after she recovered. People who start to smoke don't develop lung cancer the next day; it manifests itself years later. I'm curious what Weyoun's take on this is.

Bob Juch

#61 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:55 am

Weyoun wrote:
So far, we’ve had about 50 million vaccines to people under the age of 30. We’ve had 1200 reported cases of myocarditis, mostly in that population. About 900 of the cases were males, and it’s skewed to the under 21 age range. About 300 cases resulted in hospitalization. No deaths reported. From what I can tell, at least 280 of those patients have been discharged from the hospital.

So there’s a risk and it does involve the heart so I understand why someone would be cautious.

But even that is a seemingly minor risk. And there’s no concern for side effects that have been substantiated among other ages or among women.
Are there reports of myocarditis from the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#62 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 pm

Weyoun wrote:

I think if you cornered me, I would tell you to be cautious about the vaccine in teenage boys, but I think pretty much anyone over the age of 20 should be getting vaccinated without a significant medical counter indication.

Weyoun wrote:

I appreciate you answering the question.

Seems you and the medical community have no idea why teenage boys and not pre-teenage boys or post teenage boys or females are more statistically at risk so just recommend to everyone, but them, to vaccinate without caution.

O.K. No idea what the vaccine is doing. But lets recommend, almost mandate, everyone get it because it is statistically safe. Not scientifically safe because we don't fully know what it does or doesn't do, just statistically safe.

So it is safe for my kids to walk through the east south side of Chicago, because statistically only black males between 15 and 30 are getting shot and killed. Don't think less of me because I will do everything I can to have them not do that.
Last edited by BackInTex on Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#63 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:11 am

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 pm
Seems you and the medical community have no idea why teenage boys and not pre-teenage boys or post teenage boys or females are more statistically at risk so just recommend to everyone, but them, to vaccinate without caution.
While we often associate cardiovascular conditions with elderly populations, myocarditis can affect anyone, including young adults, children and infants. In fact, it most often affects otherwise healthy, young, athletic types with the high-risk population being those of ages from puberty through their early 30’s, affecting males twice as often as females. Myocarditis is the 3rd leading cause of Sudden Death in children and young adults.
https://www.myocarditisfoundation.org/a ... ocarditis/

So you have a rare disease that primarily affects the young, so it stands to reason that something that increases the risk of that disease would most often manifest itself in that same age group.
BackInTex wrote:O.K. No idea what the vaccine is doing. But lets recommend, almost mandate, everyone get it because it is statistically safe. Not scientifically safe because we don't fully know what it does or doesn't do, just statistically safe.
Wrong. We know exactly what the vaccine is doing as it's been described previously in this thread. We developed these vaccines because we believed based on research and experience that the human body would develop effective antibodies when this type of vaccine was introduced, and the statistics proved that to be the case. We recommend its use because it's been proven effective in terms of results. And not just more effective but many, many times more effective. We now have 3,500 new hospitalizations and over 200 new deaths a day, almost all among the unvaccinated. We haven't had anywhere approaching those numbers of hospitalizations or deaths from the various side effects. According to Weyoun, we've had 300 total hospitalizations and no deaths from myocarditis of those vaccinated.

You're also asking for something that's impossible in the modern world in the field of medicine. We have laws of physics that tell us exactly how objects in motion are going to behave, and we have laws of chemistry that tell us exactly how certain substances will behave when combined. We don't have that in medicine, and we won't until our knowledge of the human body and the various disease organisms that can infect it increase tremendously. Even then, much will depend on variables like random mutations we can't control. We never fully know what any drug will or will not know to a particular individual; just like we don't know what one particular roll of the dice will be. But casinos know the laws of probability and statistics and it's no coincidence that they make billions while individual gamblers go home broke.

wbtravis007

#64 Post by wbtravis007 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:39 am

BackInTex wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

I think if you cornered me, I would tell you to be cautious about the vaccine in teenage boys, but I think pretty much anyone over the age of 20 should be getting vaccinated without a significant medical counter indication.

Weyoun wrote:

I appreciate you answering the question.

O.K. No idea what the vaccine is doing. But lets recommend, almost mandate, everyone get it because it is statistically safe. Not scientifically safe because we don't fully know what it does or doesn't do, just statistically safe.

So it is safe for my kids to walk through the east south side of Chicago, because statistically only black males between 15 and 30 are getting shot and killed. Don't think less of me because I will do everything I can to have them not do that.
Who in the world would ever suggest that it’s safe for anyone who’s not black and between 15 and 30 based on that statistic, other than a real dumbass or somebody trying to mislead one? Which set of data involving COVID is actually analogous to that?

Bob Juch

#65 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:41 am

New York Times — David Leonhardt wrote:In India — where the Delta variant was first identified and caused a huge outbreak — cases have plunged over the past two months. A similar drop may now be underway in Britain. There is no clear explanation for these declines.

In the U.S., cases started falling rapidly in early January. The decline began before vaccination was widespread and did not follow any evident changes in Americans’ Covid attitudes.

In March and April, the Alpha variant helped cause a sharp rise in cases in the upper Midwest and Canada. That outbreak seemed poised to spread to the rest of North America — but did not.

This spring, caseloads were not consistently higher in parts of the U.S. that had relaxed masking and social distancing measures (like Florida and Texas) than in regions that remained vigilant.

Large parts of Africa and Asia still have not experienced outbreaks as big as those in Europe, North America and South America.

BackInTex

#66 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:49 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:41 am
New York Times — David Leonhardt wrote:In India — where the Delta variant was first identified and caused a huge outbreak — cases have plunged over the past two months. A similar drop may now be underway in Britain. There is no clear explanation for these declines.

In the U.S., cases started falling rapidly in early January. The decline began before vaccination was widespread and did not follow any evident changes in Americans’ Covid attitudes.

In March and April, the Alpha variant helped cause a sharp rise in cases in the upper Midwest and Canada. That outbreak seemed poised to spread to the rest of North America — but did not.

This spring, caseloads were not consistently higher in parts of the U.S. that had relaxed masking and social distancing measures (like Florida and Texas) than in regions that remained vigilant.

Large parts of Africa and Asia still have not experienced outbreaks as big as those in Europe, North America and South America.
In other words, do what you do, it won't make a difference in the spread.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jaybee

#67 Post by jaybee » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:08 pm

BackInTex wrote:

A bad example to prove your point about vaccinated vs not. More accurate would be to say that, "Your kids have a choice between walking through the east (or south) sides of Chicago OR walking through downtown Knoxville TN." They have to choose one or the other. While nobody can guarantee their safety in either place, one is significantly less risky than the other.
Jaybee

Bob Juch

#68 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:19 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:49 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:41 am

In other words, do what you do, it won't make a difference in the spread.
On a macro level, yes. You don't want to be the one on the wrong side of the odds.

In other words, there are some strange things going on.

BackInTex

#69 Post by BackInTex » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:50 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:19 pm

Almost as if it weren’t natural.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#70 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:56 am

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:50 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:19 pm

Almost as if it weren’t natural.
Actually, it's proof it is natural; if it weren't, things would be predictable.

Weyoun

#71 Post by Weyoun » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:07 am

It’s weird how we have a contagious virus and vaccination seems to prevent morbidity as well as almost all mortality, and yet we STILL have people pushing back.

I think it’s a mental defect. People get comfortable in their universe and how it’s arranged. Anything that changes it throws it off. At this point, the debate has moved from whether not the vaccine is effective to whether or not people feel comfortable having someone else strongly suggest they do something for the benefit of all

What would Jesus do, by the way? Would he mumble about what the vaccine might do to him ten years from now, or would he take the jab?

Bob Juch

#72 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:45 am

Weyoun wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:07 am
It’s weird how we have a contagious virus and vaccination seems to prevent morbidity as well as almost all mortality, and yet we STILL have people pushing back.

I think it’s a mental defect. People get comfortable in their universe and how it’s arranged. Anything that changes it throws it off. At this point, the debate has moved from whether not the vaccine is effective to whether or not people feel comfortable having someone else strongly suggest they do something for the benefit of all

What would Jesus do, by the way? Would he mumble about what the vaccine might do to him ten years from now, or would he take the jab?
Jesus would heal the sick.

BackInTex

#73 Post by BackInTex » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:26 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:45 am
Weyoun wrote:

He would not need to take the vaccination.

He might heal some. He did not heal all the sick during His ministry on Earth.

The question would be what would he instruct HIs disciples to do.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#74 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:38 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:26 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:45 am
Weyoun wrote:

He would not need to take the vaccination.

He might heal some. He did not heal all the sick during His ministry on Earth.

You're assuming that everything He did was documented in the gospels.

silverscreenselect

#75 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:44 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:26 pm
The Lord helps those that help themselves.