Bixby's Husband?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: Bixby's Husband?

#26 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:49 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

Speak for yourself....

lb13
Found it!

Someone SAVE THAT SQUORREL~~~

Anyone know the serpentine Heimlich maneuver?

lb13
Can you squeeze it out the back end?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#27 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:10 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Not sure I could face myself in the mirror if I had to do that for a living. Half your life you work like hell to do the right thing for innocent people and half your life you lie like hell for the guilty.

And lawyers wonder why people don't trust them. Its there job to be untrustworthy, some of the time. But they can't tell you when that is.

Snakes, all of them.

But them again, snakes eat mice and other vermin, so they are good to have around...sometimes.

Speak for yourself....

lb13
That is an absolutely fabulous avatar. It will win the #3 slot. The standings are now:

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut
3. Mangy rodent and other vermin eating snake
4. Gladys MBRS and the Pips
I decided to add Stinky and the perfect game. I just love it. It will win.

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut
5. Stinky and the Perfect Game
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#28 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:20 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

Speak for yourself....

lb13
That is an absolutely fabulous avatar. It will win the #3 slot. The standings are now:

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut

You neglected to include all of the worthy Sprots avatars, I'm afraid.

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

TheConfessor

#29 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:32 am

Bixby17 wrote: Love both the Constitution and the New Testament. :)

Usually it is working your * off for the innocent, and for the guilty, making sure they have your day in court, represented zealously, although usually for the guilty it is more about mitigating damages before trial. You don't lie. You can't lie to the court.

I truly believe that under the strict application of Texas law, Rodriguez should have been found not guilty. At the moment of the shooting, the person who died was not being provoked, and that is part of what is required. Rodriguez at the precise moment of the shooting was on the phone with police and was charged my multiple people and shot.

That's not to say that just about everybody's actions that night were not smart--but not smart is different than murder.

I wrote about it: http://www.stradleylaw.com/rodriguez-st ... f-defense/ because I hope to prevent a moment of poor judgment resulting in any more deaths or people spending the rest of their lives in jail. Don't ever think such weird facts will happen again, but there is a ton of Texas self-defense/provocation case law that involves drunk people and neighbors dating back to the early 1900s.
Bixby, I read your blog post about this case and thought it was very informative. At least now I understand that the jury didn't have an easy task, assuming they took their job seriously. I still think the guy is both guilty and an idiot, although it might not be as clear cut as it first seemed.

Of the background legal information you cited, I found it pretty disturbing that the law would give just as much right to use force against an imagined danger as a real danger. If I see a homeless guy on the corner begging for money and I approach him while reaching in my pocket to give him some change, apparently he's allowed to shoot me if he thinks I'm going for a gun to assault him. So if a person is an idiot and truly believes something that's not true, that's good enough to use deadly force? That's messed up.

I especially liked your conclusion about the lessons that should be learned from this, and how even if you are legally right, that doesn't mean that exercising your rights is necessarily a wise idea, or one that is without serious lasting consequences. The first comment on your post is excellent, especially since it comes from an avid gun fan.

I agree that we all have the right to defend ourselves. Guns are one way to quiet a loud birthday party, but I think this $3.49 product would have been more cost effective:
http://www.drugstore.com/hearos-ear-plu ... /qxp182524

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#30 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:26 am

TheConfessor wrote:Of the background legal information you cited, I found it pretty disturbing that the law would give just as much right to use force against an imagined danger as a real danger. If I see a homeless guy on the corner begging for money and I approach him while reaching in my pocket to give him some change, apparently he's allowed to shoot me if he thinks I'm going for a gun to assault him. So if a person is an idiot and truly believes something that's not true, that's good enough to use deadly force? That's messed up.
That's not accurate. The belief that you're in danger has to be reasonable. That's an important qualification for exactly the reason you cite. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

TheConfessor

#31 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:40 am

Bob78164 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:Of the background legal information you cited, I found it pretty disturbing that the law would give just as much right to use force against an imagined danger as a real danger. If I see a homeless guy on the corner begging for money and I approach him while reaching in my pocket to give him some change, apparently he's allowed to shoot me if he thinks I'm going for a gun to assault him. So if a person is an idiot and truly believes something that's not true, that's good enough to use deadly force? That's messed up.
That's not accurate. The belief that you're in danger has to be reasonable. That's an important qualification for exactly the reason you cite. --Bob
What seems absurd to one person often seems reasonable to another. If everyone always agreed on such matters, we wouldn't need trials.

christie1111
11:11

#32 Post by christie1111 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:24 am

Bob Juch wrote:
christie1111 wrote:The biggest question I have about this and the Zimmerman case is why did it have to be deadly force? Shooting someone in the kneecap or upper arm, etc would take them down but they would be likely to survive.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

In both cases I think these are people who should not have lost their lives for what was going on.

JMHO
In firearms classes you are taught to shoot to kill, not to shoot to wound.
Not as a police officer. You are trained to disable and to kill, two different goals depending on situation.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

MarleysGh0st

#33 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:47 am

Bixby17 wrote:Oh, and hi y'all.

Things are all good.

Family is good, though spouse is very tired.

I'm winning a Houston Web Award tomorrow night for a blog post I wrote for the Houston Chronicle. A Texans blog post and nothing as unfortunate as this.
Hi, Bix!

I'm sorry it took a thread like this for you to drop by and say hello.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#34 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:09 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut

You neglected to include all of the worthy Sprots avatars, I'm afraid.

lb13
No, I didn't.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

macrae1234

#35 Post by macrae1234 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:48 pm

You are trained to disable and to kill
Disable = taser
kill = glock
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#36 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:24 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

Speak for yourself....

lb13

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut
Letter Carrier Buster is fabu. I am now confident I will have the Top Ten by countdown time.

1. Sunchine
2. Mini-Doughnut
6. Letter Carrier Buster

BackInTex

#37 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:10 pm

TheConfessor wrote: I especially liked your conclusion about the lessons that should be learned from this, and how even if you are legally right, that doesn't mean that exercising your rights is necessarily a wise idea, or one that is without serious lasting consequences.
Um, you learn that in one day in Houston watching pedestrian crosswalks where pedestrians have the legal right of way.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

TheConfessor

#38 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:05 am

BackInTex wrote:
TheConfessor wrote: I especially liked your conclusion about the lessons that should be learned from this, and how even if you are legally right, that doesn't mean that exercising your rights is necessarily a wise idea, or one that is without serious lasting consequences.
Um, you learn that in one day in Houston watching pedestrian crosswalks where pedestrians have the legal right of way.
You raise an interesting legal point. Can an armed pedestrian in a crosswalk legally "stand his ground" and shoot an automobile driver if he has a reasonable fear that the driver is going to hit him? Perhaps so. But I think I'd just try to jump out of the way.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#39 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:17 am

TheConfessor wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
You raise an interesting legal point. Can an armed pedestrian in a crosswalk legally "stand his ground" and shoot an automobile driver if he has a reasonable fear that the driver is going to hit him? Perhaps so. But I think I'd just try to jump out of the way.

But you are not a squirrel.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#40 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:25 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

lb13
That is an AWESOME avatar!!

And in a coincidence, you know I read obscure detective fiction, and one story I remember from an author I've forgotten was titled Houston in the Rear View Mirror. That could be the name of this if you wish to be subtler than Stand Your Ground and Make My Day...
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#41 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:28 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote: You raise an interesting legal point. Can an armed pedestrian in a crosswalk legally "stand his ground" and shoot an automobile driver if he has a reasonable fear that the driver is going to hit him? Perhaps so. But I think I'd just try to jump out of the way.

lb13

And in a coincidence, you know I read obscure detective fiction, and one story I remember from an author I've forgotten was titled Houston in the Rear View Mirror. That could be the name of this if you wish to be subtler than Stand Your Ground and Make My Day...

Well, I'm not sure if that's Houston up ahead or not, but I'll keep the suggestion in mind..... at least until Fanny comes along and gives it its real title..... :P :P :P

I wonder what Sprots thinks of pistol-packin' squirrels.....?

lb13

MarleysGh0st

#42 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:30 am

minimetoo26 wrote:That is an AWESOME avatar!!
Sometimes, little details can be too much, for the trivia obsessed.

I was going to applaud ES for the time displayed on the clock radio, but neither the sun nor a full moon should be in that position in the sky at 11:11. :P

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#43 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:33 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

I was going to applaud ES for the time displayed on the clock radio, but neither the sun nor a full moon should be in that position in the sky at 11:11. :P

You never know when the earth may get thrown out of its normal orbit.....

And it's funny because the sun was the last detail I added....

lb13

MarleysGh0st

#44 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:43 am

littlebeast13 wrote:You never know when the earth may get thrown out of its normal orbit.....
Well, hey, it's not like they sent me a Happy Card!

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#45 Post by Sistine Fanny » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:05 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote: You raise an interesting legal point. Can an armed pedestrian in a crosswalk legally "stand his ground" and shoot an automobile driver if he has a reasonable fear that the driver is going to hit him? Perhaps so. But I think I'd just try to jump out of the way.

lb13

I thought of the Mac Davis song Texas in My Rear View Mirror. How close is Lubbock to Houston?
It's the Final Countdown.....

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#46 Post by Sistine Fanny » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:10 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

Well, I'm not sure if that's Houston up ahead or not, but I'll keep the suggestion in mind..... at least until Fanny comes along and gives it its real title..... :P :P :P

I wonder what Sprots thinks of pistol-packin' squirrels.....?

lb13

Brake for Squirrels!

or

Armed and Stupid....
It's the Final Countdown.....

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#47 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:24 am

Sistine Fanny wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

I thought of the Mac Davis song Texas in My Rear View Mirror. How close is Lubbock to Houston?

It don't know. Let me use the position of the sun in the sky to calculate that.....

lb13

a1mamacat

#48 Post by a1mamacat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:20 pm

Freakin Funny!!!
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#49 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:56 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

lb13
I agree with Mini -- that is incredible!

But it is too violent. It will not win.

christie1111
11:11

#50 Post by christie1111 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:

11:11 Yay!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"