Transcript 09/14/09 Alan Carver (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
megaaddict

Re: Transcript 09/14/09 Alan Carver (carryover)

#76 Post by megaaddict » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:59 am

I understand the reasons for having a clock, but why it ticks while the show host reads the answers is beyond me, especially when there is a premium placed on answering quickly (banked time). The result is that the contestant is either penalized for politeness or rewarded for rudeness. Alan was the first contestant to have the chutzpah to play against the clock with the objective of fully maximizing his chances at winning the million. For this I respect him.

If any "flaw" of persona or attitude did him in, I would venture that in his determination to win it all he may have been trying to save the PAF for a more valuable question. That's not a risk I would personally take, but that was his call. Too bad it didn't work out, but I hope he gets another shot in the Tournament.

MarleysGh0st

#77 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:07 am

megaaddict wrote:Too bad it didn't work out, but I hope he gets another shot in the Tournament.
At this point, it seems unlikely he'll be displaced from the leader board by ten people winning more than $25K and I can't imagine any other $25K winner banking more time than him.

What drama there will be in watching someone take a free guess at a $1 million question is another issue.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#78 Post by frogman042 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:24 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
megaaddict wrote:Too bad it didn't work out, but I hope he gets another shot in the Tournament.
At this point, it seems unlikely he'll be displaced from the leader board by ten people winning more than $25K and I can't imagine any other $25K winner banking more time than him.

What drama there will be in watching someone take a free guess at a $1 million question is another issue.
Does anyone know if the cost of returning to NY to play in the Tournament is on the players dime or does Millionaire pick up the tab?

For that matter, was his 2nd trip to complete his game covered by Millionaire or did he have to pay for that trip?

I'm assuming his and all the other PT ROFs invited by Meredith were covered since it taped right after the PT show and that that was paid for, but Alan was the only one who had to make a return trip to NY. I'm assuming that all the other Syndi's who where also in the ROF (but not the last night and as a result didn't tape until later) had to pay their own way just like all the other non-PT Syndi players, but Alan was a special case - he had to come back to complete his game, so I'm wondering if he was 'grandfathered' in regarding that trip or not.

So, it he does have to pay his way, then it is not a truly 'free' guess ;-)

MarleysGh0st

#79 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:36 am

frogman042 wrote:Does anyone know if the cost of returning to NY to play in the Tournament is on the players dime or does Millionaire pick up the tab?
Yes, according to the official rules, they do.
5. B. Tournament Finalists

Tournament Finalists, as described in Section 4.B.iii. above, will be brought to New York City, paid for by the Producer. The trip consists of: (1) round-trip coach air transportation to and from the airport closes to the Tournament Finalist's home, or ground transportation, if the person lives within a two hundred fifty (250) mile radius of New York City, (2) double occupancy hotel accommodations for up to four (4) days (which includes two (2) travel days), (3) ground transportation in New York City to and from airport/hotel, and (4) a maximum per diem of fifty dollars ($50) for the Tournament Finalist only ("Per Diem"). Actual length of stay, number of hotel nights and total Per Diem is dependent on when the Tournament Finalist is needed for the Program, as determined by the Producer, in its sole discretion. Tournament Finalists will be required to verbally agree to the terms and conditions of the Travel Release prior to departure to New York City and further agree to sign the release upon arrival in New York City. Tournament Finalists must be available to travel to New York City for their Tape Date and must allow for up to four (4) days in New York City (including two (2) travel days). If a Tournament Finalist accepts travel to New York City and fails to arrive by their scheduled arrival time on their Tape Date, the Tournament Finalist may be disqualified and may be held liable for all travel, accommodation and Per Diem amounts provided by the Program.
frogman042 wrote:For that matter, was his 2nd trip to complete his game covered by Millionaire or did he have to pay for that trip?
The rules say these contestants are not reimbursed!
5. A. Contestants

The Contestants for each Tape Date and specific episode, if applicable, will travel to New York City at their own expense, and provide their own accommodations and transportation for the duration of their appearance on the Program. The Producer is not responsible for any expenses incurred by Contestants in connection with their appearance on the Program and will not reimburse any Contestant for any such expenses. The Producer will determine how long the Contestant is required to stay in New York City. Based on the scheduling of Tape Dates, any Holdover Contestants and Unplayed Contestants may be required to remain available to return to the studio on the next scheduled date that a standard Program will be taped. The travel and transportation arrangements for all returning Holdover Contestants and Unplayed Contestants shall be the sole responsibility of the Contestant.

Weyoun

#80 Post by Weyoun » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:49 am

Here's the thing. People point out that contestants make mistakes all the time. Consider last week, when we had the contestant who didn't know the French Open was on clay. People who criticized this were pooh-poohed.

Yet, Alan Carver knew more than these other contestants who flamed out, and he's been bashed pretty heavily. And it's been personal stuff. I don't know about you, but I've never met the guy. He does seem weird. But it seems that some of the judgments of him, because of his weirdness, have been pretty harsh. Truth be told, anyone who is motivated enough to do something like study for a trivia show - and admit it, you've done that - is going to be a little weird.

Now, if I had to err on the side of caution, I'd rather be found criticizing their gameplay, rather than suggesting that they're a jerk, or brash, or have too much invested in the process. That stuff gets personal, and reflects bigger things, and, again, I don't think we can make those judgments based on what they do in the very specific box called WWTBAM.

Jeemie

#81 Post by Jeemie » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:10 am

Weyoun wrote:Here's the thing. People point out that contestants make mistakes all the time. Consider last week, when we had the contestant who didn't know the French Open was on clay. People who criticized this were pooh-poohed.

Yet, Alan Carver knew more than these other contestants who flamed out, and he's been bashed pretty heavily. And it's been personal stuff. I don't know about you, but I've never met the guy. He does seem weird. But it seems that some of the judgments of him, because of his weirdness, have been pretty harsh. Truth be told, anyone who is motivated enough to do something like study for a trivia show - and admit it, you've done that - is going to be a little weird.

Now, if I had to err on the side of caution, I'd rather be found criticizing their gameplay, rather than suggesting that they're a jerk, or brash, or have too much invested in the process. That stuff gets personal, and reflects bigger things, and, again, I don't think we can make those judgments based on what they do in the very specific box called WWTBAM.
A) He set himself up to be criticized in this manner.

B) His personality (at least, that aspect that he chose to display on TV) led directly to his downfall in the game, which has been the main thrust of my own personal criticism of him.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Weyoun

#82 Post by Weyoun » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:27 am

I think he went out of his way to bank time and not use lifelines, which led to his downfall. It sounds like he had a googler ready to go, but wanted to save it for bigger money.

Sure, that can reflect hubris, but it's also just bad gameplay. The Henry James question was a straightforward google. I'm more comfortable saying it was bad strategy on his part.

All, IMHO.

ghostjmf

#83 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:37 am

Marley posts:
“That’s $25,000 that I didn’t have” before, Carver said. “Laurie (his wife) and I are feeling very blessed.”
I haven't even read the article yet, but I have to say this:

One of my 2 Sony Walkman Pro D6 tape recorders is apparently probably not worth fixing, per my local electronics fixing genius, who suggested I search for a fixable one on e-bay, or whatever. You can't buy them from Sony anymore.

So I went on e-bay & lo & behold, there was one! So I created an ebay account & a Paypal account (with no money in it; apparently they somehow let you use your own credit card, in my case a virtual CC linked to my real CC) & got into the bidding.

ebay increases your bids for you, up to your maximum. This unit was broken, & nobody, hardly, was bidding on it. My local fixing genius could possibly fix it, so I was happy to stay in the running. Before I went home last night I thought "maybe I should increase my maximum bid" but had something to get to & didn't.

I come in this morning to find I was outbid by $6.00, & the auction is over (I knew it would end last night). I am majorly bummed by this.

I cannot imagine having the grace to say "that's $25,000.00 I didn't have before" if I'd had 50K a couple seconds before my blurted-out answer. I don't even have the whatever not to be bummed out by losing out on buying a maybe-fixable $360.00 tape recorder for $26.00.

May Alan & his wife spend the money in good health, & may he come back & compete with the only 2 other serious contenders I see on that leader board (the 2 other 25K people, one of whom got on yesterday) for a million.

ghostjmf

parts of speech; was Re: Transcript 09/14/09 Alan Carver

#84 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:54 am

I'm still wondering about what you officially call a verb used as an adjective.

I was looking some of that stuff up (or trying to) yesterday after work instead of raising my maximum bid on ebay. Or looking up better directions to where I was headed; there's no exit 53 for Spring Street to Concord Ave off of westbound route 2, though it looked like there was from the interchanges on the map. I had to pass the paired route 128 exits, because I wasn't sure they would immediately have an exit back on to eastbound 2, take an exit about 7 miles further, double back, take the exit 53 off of eastbound route 2, which exit does exist, & then get lost in the dark anyway.

So the question is

(lets forget about the verb "to skirl"; lets use "fall"):

"They fall down the hill" has "fall" as a verb.

"They are falling" has "are falling" as a verb phrase, official name not important here

but

"Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain"; OK, "listen" is an imperative verb; I could just as well say "Hey You! Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain!".

But

what is "falling" officially called, as used in this context; it clearly modifies "rain", so its use is as an adjective, but what is its official name?

<edited to remove bad comma; at least, the one bad comma I immediately saw an hour or so later>
Last edited by ghostjmf on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#85 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:58 am

A gerund.

Edited to note that may not be the best answer. I double-checked myself to discover that the dictionary definition specified "a verb form used as a noun." Perhaps there is a different term for a verb form used as an adjective?

I trust that someone else has weighed in by the time I finish editing this post.
Last edited by silvercamaro on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#86 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:00 am

silvercamaro wrote:A gerund.
Molly wants one of those to keep her hamster company.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#87 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:07 am

I asked Annie. She says it's a participle, and that's all it is. She learned that in third grade at Home School.

http://c-hawks.fesdev.org/pages/uploade ... nneman.pdf
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

doitneatly

#88 Post by doitneatly » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:34 am

silvercamaro wrote:I asked Annie. She says it's a participle, and that's all it is. She learned that in third grade at Home School.

http://c-hawks.fesdev.org/pages/uploade ... nneman.pdf
Here's how I was taught to remember the distinction:

Acting as a noun?
It's a gerund
e.g., "Running is good exercise."

Acting as an adjective?
It's a participle
e.g., "I hear running water."
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

akcarver

Re: Transcript 09/14/09 Alan Carver

#89 Post by akcarver » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Snaxx wrote:Under the new rules, are carryover contestants allowed to switch PaF's available for the original taping day but not the carryover day, and vice-versa? The rules talk about providing photos, signed consents, etc in advance so there was time for this guy if allowed. However, it would be tough for someone who carries over consecutive days unless they come with two separate lists. If it is not allowed, he is stuck with whomever he chose on August 6 even if that person can't be by the phone on September 2.
The syndicated taping was on the 7th, not the 6th. I was able to select a different PAF for the early September taping, but I was only able to find one person willing to help, even though I asked hundreds, through listserves and Facebook. My lone PAF was in case I got a sports question, as that is far and away my weakest area. Unfortunately, I did not think in time to prep him to have a Google page up, so I was confident he wouldn't know the answer. Everyone I asked when I got home chose the same answer I did, so there was no further help to be had there. I should have stopped with $50,000.
Alan Keith Carver
Federal Way, WA