Bell's Palsy is ooky.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Tocqueville3

Bell's Palsy is ooky.

#1 Post by Tocqueville3 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:52 am

Or so Samantha says.

I have Bells Palsy. It is ooky. I can't move the right side of my face. I slur when I talk. I have a shooting pain behind my ear that comes and goes and I can't blink my right eye. I went to the doctor yesterday and she gave me some anti-virals and some steroids. Apparently, if I have some sort of herpes the anti virals will clear it right up! Also, the steroids will make me uber hyper and uber hungry. David said I'll be cooking and cleaning like nobodys business. He'll prolly be fine with me being all roided up. The doc says it can intensify your sex drive. Ha!!

The best part about this is that it usually clears up within a couple of weeks. The worst part is that it could last forever. I can't sing with my mouth like this either. I can't imagine not being able to sing on Sunday mornings. Last Sunday, we did one of my favorite anthems. "The Majesty and the Glory". Right after church I started feeling the symptoms of Bells Palsy. Maybe the anthem Sunday morning was God's gift to me before I couldn't sing for a while. I sing in what I think is the greatest choir in the world. Would y'all please pray that this ookyness will clear up in a few weeks instead of never? Thankyoueverso.

MarleysGh0st

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:57 am

Let's have you have one of the cases that clears up in a couple weeks!

Bixby17

#3 Post by Bixby17 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:04 am

I am so sorry to hear about this.

Lots of prayers going your way.

christie1111
11:11

#4 Post by christie1111 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:06 am

My sympathy and empathy.

Daughter1111 had a milder case than you. She could close her eye (left side) and only had some mild drooping of the mouth. Very quirky smile for about 3 weeks. But it also was during her junior year Ring Dance, so was not the best timing. The pain (more like discomfort for her) lasted quite awhile after it visually looked better. But as long as it looked better she was happy.

Hers was mild enough that she did not go on medication. But if it had been a little more intense, they would have done the same that you are on. She did take anti-inflammatories though.

Have you suffered from cold sores in the past? That was what they figured was her cause, herpes virus.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

earendel

Re: Bell's Palsy is ooky.

#5 Post by earendel » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:15 am

Tocqueville3 wrote:Or so Samantha says.

I have Bells Palsy. It is ooky. I can't move the right side of my face. I slur when I talk. I have a shooting pain behind my ear that comes and goes and I can't blink my right eye. I went to the doctor yesterday and she gave me some anti-virals and some steroids. Apparently, if I have some sort of herpes the anti virals will clear it right up! Also, the steroids will make me uber hyper and uber hungry. David said I'll be cooking and cleaning like nobodys business. He'll prolly be fine with me being all roided up. The doc says it can intensify your sex drive. Ha!!
I'll be praying that it's the short-lived variety.
Tocqueville3 wrote:Last Sunday, we did one of my favorite anthems. "The Majesty and the Glory".
The Fettke arrangement? That's one of my favorites, too.
Tocqueville3 wrote:I sing in what I think is the greatest choir in the world.
I must respectfully disagree with this - I believe our choir is the greatest.
Last edited by earendel on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Tocqueville3

#6 Post by Tocqueville3 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:15 am

christie1111 wrote:My sympathy and empathy.

Daughter1111 had a milder case than you. She could close her eye (left side) and only had some mild drooping of the mouth. Very quirky smile for about 3 weeks. But it also was during her junior year Ring Dance, so was not the best timing. The pain (more like discomfort for her) lasted quite awhile after it visually looked better. But as long as it looked better she was happy.

Hers was mild enough that she did not go on medication. But if it had been a little more intense, they would have done the same that you are on. She did take anti-inflammatories though.

Have you suffered from cold sores in the past? That was what they figured was her cause, herpes virus.
I just got over a cold. They say the cold could have brought this on. I did have a mild cold sore last week, too.

I can close my eye if I use my finger to close it all the way. The doc said the most serious part of Bell's Palsy is that my eye could dry out and do all kind of nasty things to my cornea. I'm putting some heavy duty drops in my eye during the day and taping it shut at night. Fun!

The steroids are to keep the nerve at the base of my ear from getting inflamed.

Tocqueville3

#7 Post by Tocqueville3 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:27 am

earendel wrote:

I'll be praying that it's the short-lived variety.
Tocqueville3 wrote:Last Sunday, we did one of my favorite anthems. "The Majesty and the Glory".

The Fettke arrangement? That's one of my favorites, too.
Tocqueville3 wrote:I sing in what I think is the greatest choir in the world.
I must respectfully disagree with this - I believe our choir is the greatest.

Yes, it is the Fettke arrangement. I just adore that anthem. It has a great alto part.

And nononononono...Mine is the best choir. :P

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:42 am

Scary stuff, Tocq. sorry to hear of it, and we'll be pulling for you.

I don't pray often any more, because I feel like too much of a hypocrite. But I'll say a good sincere one for you, with no fear of ticking off TPTRB.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:46 am

Tocque, I hope this passes quickly. You have my sympathies.

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:49 am

That sucks, Tocque - especially tough when it so directly affects something you love doing. It will clear up, I will demand it. THAT always works. :roll:

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Tocqueville3

#11 Post by Tocqueville3 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:52 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Scary stuff, Tocq. sorry to hear of it, and we'll be pulling for you.

I don't pray often any more, because I feel like too much of a hypocrite. But I'll say a good sincere one for you, with no fear of ticking off TPTRB.
Thanks, MrK. But what is TPTRB? I'm clueless.

Prayer is a powerful thing. I look at it this way. I can't talk to the most powerful people in the world. You know, presidents, world leaders, member of congress. But I can talk to Him whenever I want to or whenever I need to. God doesn't always answer prayers the way we want but he always listens to every single prayer thrown His way.

peacock2121

#12 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:07 am

I will be thinking powerful thoughts for your's to clear up real quick.

You might want to consider wearing an eye patch during the day. You can't blink to prevent something from entering your eye and doing damage.

If it were me, I'd be wearing an eye patch.

a1mamacat

#13 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:14 am

The best part about this is that it usually clears up within a couple of weeks. The worst part is that it could last forever. I can't sing with my mouth like this either. I can't imagine not being able to sing on Sunday mornings. Last Sunday, we did one of my favorite anthems. "The Majesty and the Glory". Right after church I started feeling the symptoms of Bells Palsy. Maybe the anthem Sunday morning was God's gift to me before I couldn't sing for a while. I sing in what I think is the greatest choir in the world. Would y'all please pray that this ookyness will clear up in a few weeks instead of never? Thankyoueverso.
My grandfather had Bell's for all the time that I can remember him, and that is a long time LOL.

Aside from the droop on one side, he managed just fine, and let me tell you that he was able to make things very clear to you, especially if you were not, ummmm, acting in a manner befitting a member of his clan.

Of course, when he got it, there was no treatment or anything like that. I understand that it is not considered a life change anymore.

Hope you feel better soon and are up and running with the rest.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

geoffil

#14 Post by geoffil » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:15 am

I hope you get better fast.

nitrah55

#15 Post by nitrah55 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:22 am

I had Bell's for a couple of weeks in high school.

I wore an eye patch because I had to think about blinking and squinting, and sometimes didn't do it. I recall doing eye drops to keep the eye moist.

I did not get drugs for treatment. Went to some nerve doc, whose treatment was electrical shock applied to the base of the chin. It was like getting slugged, but it worked.

Good luck. You'll be fine and smiling about this when it's over. The smile, will of course, be from both sides of your face.
I am about 25% sure of this.

Tocqueville3

#16 Post by Tocqueville3 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:32 am

peacock2121 wrote:I will be thinking powerful thoughts for your's to clear up real quick.

You might want to consider wearing an eye patch during the day. You can't blink to prevent something from entering your eye and doing damage.

If it were me, I'd be wearing an eye patch.
I'm seriously considering getting an eye patch when I go pick Samantha up from school in a bit. Olivia might think that grabbing the eye patch is fun but I'll cut her some slack.

I'm reminded of the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry agrees to wear the puffy shirt cuz of the low talking girl that Kramer is dating.

"But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

mrkelley23

#17 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:15 am

Tocqueville3 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:Scary stuff, Tocq. sorry to hear of it, and we'll be pulling for you.

Prayer is a powerful thing. I look at it this way. I can't talk to the most powerful people in the world. You know, presidents, world leaders, member of congress. But I can talk to Him whenever I want to or whenever I need to. God doesn't always answer prayers the way we want but he always listens to every single prayer thrown His way.
Sorry -- should've explained. Just riffing off Marley's TPTB (The Powers That Be), so TPTRB is The Powers That REALLY Be. :)
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:12 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Sorry -- should've explained. Just riffing off Marley's TPTB (The Powers That Be), so TPTRB is The Powers That REALLY Be. :)
My TPTB? I don't have a trademark on them!

If I did, they'd act a little more like I want them to act. :P

ladysoleil

#19 Post by ladysoleil » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:52 pm

Praying for ya!

If it makes you feel better, a good friend of mine had Bell's as well. She was on medication and several years later, you can't tell most of the time. She does find that her face gets a little out of whack when she's tired, but otherwise, no problems.

Here's hoping the recovery goes quickly and well!

ghostjmf

#20 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Good Luck & quick to be better.

Tocqueville3

#21 Post by Tocqueville3 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:39 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Tocqueville3 wrote:

Sorry -- should've explained. Just riffing off Marley's TPTB (The Powers That Be), so TPTRB is The Powers That REALLY Be. :)
TeeHee! The Powers That REALLY Be. I'll keep that one tucked away and pull it out when needed!

Seriously, it means a great deal to me when you say you aren't a praying person but that you will "say a good sincere one" for me. Thank you.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#22 Post by hermillion » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:26 am

Prayers and other good thoughts are headed your way. I vote for the three-weeks or less version, OK?

If it matters, I'm in agreement with the eye patch suggestion. The science teacher next door to me went through a spell with Bell's, and used the patch to prevent drying out - and to prevent damage that might occur when she couldn't feel it. The last thing you need is to scratch your cornea and not know it because of the nerve deadness.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

Appa23

#23 Post by Appa23 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:35 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Tocqueville3 wrote:

I wondered if it was The Power That Really Be. :)

Appa23

#24 Post by Appa23 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:39 am

mrkelley23 wrote:I don't pray often any more, because I feel like too much of a hypocrite.
:( :?

He listens to "hypocrites" too. In fact, we probably are his largest customer base.

mrkelley23

#25 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:33 am

Appa23 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:I don't pray often any more, because I feel like too much of a hypocrite.
:( :?

He listens to "hypocrites" too. In fact, we probably are his largest customer base.
Before you get too concerned for me, let me add that my belief structure has not changed, but my approach to "formal" religion has, at least somewhat.

What I do, I think you would still recognize as "praying." It has a lot of similarities to what Tocq described earlier in this thread.