Computer Help

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
traininvain

Computer Help

#1 Post by traininvain » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:35 pm

This one has me very confused.

My father can't get onto the internet, I checked his connection and everything is fine. The strange thing is that when I click on IE the webpage comes up as if it is connecting, but then nothing really happens. I don't even get the usual "No Connection Found" stuff. I tried to "Repair the Internet Connection" but after running through some stuff it got caught up on "Clearing The DNS Cache" saying it couldn't do it. Now I don't know if I should try and clear the DNS out manually, or whether it will help or not, or maybe even cause another problem down the line.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Bob Juch

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:37 pm

Rebooting is going to clear out the DNS cache.

If a reboot doesn't reconnect, you probably have a modem problem.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

traininvain

#3 Post by traininvain » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:42 pm

I've rebooted it several times, including the modem itself. I'll try calling Verizon tomorrow and see what they say. I may also bring over my laptop and give it a go through his modem.

Thanks

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: Computer Help

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:45 pm

traininvain wrote:This one has me very confused.

My father can't get onto the internet, I checked his connection and everything is fine. The strange thing is that when I click on IE the webpage comes up as if it is connecting, but then nothing really happens. I don't even get the usual "No Connection Found" stuff. I tried to "Repair the Internet Connection" but after running through some stuff it got caught up on "Clearing The DNS Cache" saying it couldn't do it. Now I don't know if I should try and clear the DNS out manually, or whether it will help or not, or maybe even cause another problem down the line.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds a lot like what is happening with mine, except it'll eventually come up after 3 minutes or so....

lb13

traininvain

Re: Computer Help

#5 Post by traininvain » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:48 pm

littlebeast13 wrote: Sounds a lot like what is happening with mine, except it'll eventually come up after 3 minutes or so....

lb13
Yeah I just noticed your problem, except my father's connection never comes up.