Can someone help me with "Crystal Reports"?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Im_Ace

Can someone help me with "Crystal Reports"?

#1 Post by Im_Ace » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:15 pm

I've been forced to change the database management software that I use to run my office. The new software creates a report that doesn't have all of the information I wish to have on the report. When I was researching which software package to use, the sales weasal told me that they had an "add on" that I could use that would tailor the report to include all the information I needed.

I got all the new software. They "add on" was crystal reports. There is no manual for it. There are no instructions.

I called the supplier who told me that I needed to contact the company that wrote Crystal Reports. I contacted them and told them what was going on. Crystal Reports told me that since this is an issue with the 3rd party vendor, I'd have to talk with them.

SHIT !!!!!

I've never used Crystal Reports, don't know anything about it.

I was messing around with it. Somehow I found my database. When I tried to use it, it asks for the password to get to the database. THERE IS NOT FREAKING PASSWORD !!! I tried various times with various combinations of passwords. I even tried leaving the fields blank.

But it doesn't work !!!

I am so screwed.

Can someone help me, please?
:::: taping my watch ::::

15QuestionsAway

#2 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:03 pm

I've used Crystal Reports in the past. It can probably do the job for you once you overcome the connectivity issue.

I'm not sure I have enough info to answer your question, but I'll take a stab anyway.

First, you need to know what type of database your software is using. Microsoft SQL, for example. Then you have to see if Crystal has a tool for connecting to those types of databases. An alternative is to use ODBC (open database connectivity protocol) to connect.

The first thing I'd do is ask the software supplier what database they use. Then I'd contact Crystal again (or look for an online manual) to see the correct method for connecting.

If your software is proprietary, it's possible the manufacturer has a preset password and login for the database. Or one of your administrators has set this up.

Another option is to ask the sales weasel if they've designed any reports that connect to your application's database. Then talk to the report designer and ask them how they set up the connection between Crystal and the database.

When you actually go to design a report in Crystal, you'll need to know the structure of your application's database in order to present the info you're after.

Hope this helps.

VAdame

#3 Post by VAdame » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:26 am

Ace, were you able to get help w/ this?

We use Crystal Reports as part of the radiation treatment package -- it's called Impac Medical Systems -- and I use them to configure different schedules, lists, & patient info.

But as for getting a password when you don't have one, that I can't do! Next time I talk to Walt, our IT guy who works on our system, I'll see if he knows who to contact for that.

Good luck.

Sir_Galahad

#4 Post by Sir_Galahad » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:57 am

Oooooh, Crystal Reports. When I was doing my tech support stuff years ago we had a few people using Crystal Report Writer. It was software put out by Seagate, IIRC. It was one of the most user-unfriendly and temperamental pieces of software I have ever tried to support. Between the connectivity issues and just trying to get it to install, it was a nightmare. However, once we did get it installed, it worked fine for those who were using it. Not that I'm trying to scare you off of it or anything like that. Just relaying my experience with it.
Last edited by Sir_Galahad on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

VAdame

#5 Post by VAdame » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:28 pm

Seagate! Yeah, that's the name of the company!

I did pick Walt's brain at lunchtime. Since he doesn't know what your requirements are -- and obviously can't get you a password! -- he wasn't much help. But he did say that it ought to be look-up-able online.

Yes, it takes a little getting used to, but I haven't had any problems once I learned how to set it up properly.

Im_Ace

Crystal Report update

#6 Post by Im_Ace » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:41 am

Firstly, let me thank those of you who have tried to assist me. I really do appreciate your efforts, greatly.

I was able to access the database and the files.

I had thought that this program would take the existing report and allow me to customize it. From what I've been able to tell, that's not possible. It will, however, allow me to make my own report. But, it's a very involved process for someone like me, who has no experience with the software. So, I'm going to have to find someone who has experience with Crystal Reports, sit down with them, show them what I want, how I want it, and pay them to create the report for me.

Oh well. Live and learn.

Again, thank you for all your assistance.
:::: taping my watch ::::

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#7 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:52 am

Ace, thank you for letting us know what you've accomplished and what you still have to do. It does sound as if, eventually, you will end up with what you need.

One of my new pet peeves is when someone comes here to ask for help or information, but never acknowledges whether any of the responses were useful or even if the posts were read.

ladysoleil

Re: Crystal Report update

#8 Post by ladysoleil » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:10 pm

Im_Ace wrote: I had thought that this program would take the existing report and allow me to customize it. From what I've been able to tell, that's not possible. It will, however, allow me to make my own report. But, it's a very involved process for someone like me, who has no experience with the software. So, I'm going to have to find someone who has experience with Crystal Reports, sit down with them, show them what I want, how I want it, and pay them to create the report for me.
Thankfully we have a person at our job who does create reports in Crystal so I've never had to figure it out.

On the bright side, once you have a report in the system, all you need to do is schedule the instances and you don't have to deal with it ever again. Unless your data reporting needs change. I cringe at the setup process and report design process, but I admit that it does slice and dice my data in ways that I find useful.

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:34 pm

Ace, what type of database is it?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)