Transcript 10/13/2009 Reid Draper

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/13/2009 Reid Draper

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:51 pm

Reid Draper
Henderson, NV
Has been a performer and a stagehand
Played a reindeer in 1st grade that is what inspired him to go into the performing arts
Currently a project manager

Topic Tree (shown after question 5)
Pennsylvania Ave
Word Origins
Diplomatic Relations
What is it?
World History
Government
Dogs
Fast Food
Business
'80s Movies
FAQ
Military Terms
Words & Phrases
Idioms
Famous Names

$500 (Famous Names):
"Pius" has been the name of twelve what?
A. Kings of England B. Dalai Lamas
C. Popes D. "Real World" housemates
Spoiler
C. Popes :08

$1000 (Idioms):
A person who is feeling smug is said to look like "the cat that swallowed the" what?
A. Hamster B. Canary
C. Turtle D. Piglet
Spoiler
B. Canary (:11)

$2000 (Words & Phrases):
What colorful phrase is often used to describe a company that makes more money than it spends?
A. In the black B. In the orange
C. In the gray D. In the blue
Spoiler
A. In the black (:10)

$3000 (Military Terms):
In military slang, a "bunker-buster" is typically a type of what?
A. Helicopter B. Rifle
C. Watercraft D. Bomb
Spoiler
D. Bomb (:10)

$5000 (FAQ):
"How can I receive an autographed photo of Dave or Paul?" is a question listed on the FAQ page of what TV show's web site?
A. The Today Show B. The Daily Show
C. The Late Show D. The Tonight Show

Reid says he knows the show but can't pull it; as the clock hits :05 he calls for ATA
ATA
A-3% B-3% C-85% D-9%
Spoiler
C. The Late Show (:04)
Commercial break

$7500 ('80s Movies):
What '80s action flick is based on the 1979 novel "Nothing Lasts Forever," which is set in a Los Angeles office building?
A. Die Hard B. The Terminator
C. First Blood D. Lethal Weapon
Spoiler
A. Die Hard (:24)

$10K (Business):
In the U.S., the companies McClatchy, Gannett, and Tribune are three of the largest owners of what?
A. Oil tankers B. Sports arenas
C. Restaurants D. Newspapers
Spoiler
D. Newspapers (:24)
Meredith asks how Reid feels about fast food. Reid responds that right now he can't eat anything. Mere says he does not have to eat it but just know about it.

$12.5K (Fast Food):
Former pro hockey player Tim Horton lent his name to a popular fast food francise specializing in what?
A. Fried chicken B. Ice cream
C. Doughnuts D. Pizza
Spoiler
Reid says he knows it, probably and answers A. Mere says no it is not fried chicken.

C. Doughnuts (:22)
Reid leaves with $5,000.

Snaxx

Re: Transcript 10/13/2009 Reid Draper

#2 Post by Snaxx » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:08 pm

This contestant passed up on a chance to be the first Dalai Llama. :P

doitneatly

#3 Post by doitneatly » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:22 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $12.5K (Fast Food):
Former pro hockey player Tim Horton lent his name to a popular fast food francise specializing in what?
C. Doughnuts D. Pizza
Spoiler
Reid says he knows it, probably and answers A. Mere says no it is not fried chicken.

Reid leaves with $5,000.

The Canadian curse strikes again! (yes they now exist in the US, but in Canada they are more plentiful than McDonald's...)
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by ontellen » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:38 pm

Actually, I have likely eaten about 2 donuts this year from Timmy's but just today hubby and I stopped to have a Timmy's coffee.

There is no better coffee on the planet.

We actually have 3 Tim Horton's on the same block here in our city.

hanzz

#5 Post by hanzz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:54 pm

This was a surprisingly hard stack for me. I likely would have llama'd by saying "In the blue" on $2k; if I'd gotten past that, I would have ATA'd on $5K, probably ATE'd on $7.5K, and PAF'd on $12.5K.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:03 am

jacorbett70 wrote:This contestant passed up on a chance to be the first Dalai Llama. :P

First we get to blame christie for letting PSU join the Big Ten. Then we get those tricky Canadians with their insidious doughnuts and coffee and now snaxx is stealing frogman's thunder.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:29 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Reid Draper
Henderson, NV
Played a reindeer in 1st grade that is what inspired him to go into the performing arts
So he's an aspiring What Else®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 (Famous Names):
"Pius" has been the name of twelve what?
A. Kings of England B. Dalai Lamas
C. Popes D. "Real World" housemates
I bet wintergreen can give the birth names of all 12. :D
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$12.5K (Fast Food):
C. Doughnuts D. Pizza
Now the writers are stealing questions from Fanny! Ha!

Nihil obstat®

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:40 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$7500 ('80s Movies):
What '80s action flick is based on the 1979 novel "Nothing Lasts Forever," which is set in a Los Angeles office building?
Spoiler
Without the second part of the clue "the LA office building," this would have been a good 50-100K question (and one I knew right away).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:46 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$7500 ('80s Movies):
Spoiler
Without the second part of the clue "the LA office building," this would have been a good 50-100K question (and one I knew right away).
Only $50-100K? That would seem like a WWOQ at any level, to me. Why should people be familiar with this book?

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:32 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Reid Draper
Henderson, NV
Currently a project manager
In the performing arts? OK, so he's a WE® wannabe.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$5000 (FAQ):
"How can I receive an autographed photo of Dave or Paul?" is a question listed on the FAQ page of what TV show's web site?
A. The Today Show B. The Daily Show
C. The Late Show D. The Tonight Show

Reid says he knows the show but can't pull it; as the clock hits :05 he calls for ATA
ATA
A-3% B-3% C-85% D-9%
Spoiler
C. The Late Show (:04)
The pressure of TDC® claims another lifeline.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$12.5K (Fast Food):
C. Doughnuts D. Pizza
Spoiler
elwing and I first encountered a Tim Horton's when we were going to Ottawa for a church conference a number of years ago. I always thought they were a Canadian firm, with a few outlets in the upper tier of the US, but evidently they're expanding quite a bit. I seem to recall that there's some connection between this company and Wendy's, but I can't remember the specifics.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:11 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$7500 ('80s Movies):
Spoiler
Only $50-100K? That would seem like a WWOQ at any level, to me. Why should people be familiar with this book?
The novel is a sequel to The Detective, which was made into a Frank Sinatra film, and features an older version of the Sinatra character. The character name was changed for the movie, and the character's motivation was changed from rescuing his estranged wife to rescuing his estranged daughter. So, another trivia question, depending on how you word it is that Willis' character in the Die Hard movies can originally said to have been played by Frank Sinatra.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:48 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
The novel is a sequel to The Detective, which was made into a Frank Sinatra film, and features an older version of the Sinatra character. The character name was changed for the movie, and the character's motivation was changed from rescuing his estranged wife to rescuing his estranged daughter. So, another trivia question, depending on how you word it is that Willis' character in the Die Hard movies can originally said to have been played by Frank Sinatra.
The Detective was supposed to star Mia Farrow as Joe Leland's wife. Rosemary's Baby was running over schedule so she couldn't. Sinatra demanded she quit. When she refused, Sinatra divorced her!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

NellyLunatic1980

#13 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:59 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Also, this novel should not be confused with the film "Nothing Lasts Forever", a bizarre Lorne Michaels-produced comedy about a bunch of underground tramps in New York City controlling the fates of every city in the world and a wannabe artist who must fly to the Moon to find love.

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:06 pm

7.5K: Well, I know the plots of Terminator & First Blood, even though I've never seen either movie. So I know they don't take place "in an office building". I could double dip, but instead ATA here.

12.5K: I was actually waiting for "coffee" to come up. Because you see more cups left around than donut wrappers, I guess.

I 1st became aware of Tim Horton's while reading stuff by Canadians; next became aware of them when watching Canadian TV while at home in my familial border state.

I've only in the past year seen the actual stores popping up in Massachusetts, Dunkin Donuts' home territory.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#15 Post by ontellen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:00 pm

They have just been reorganized back to being a Canadian company as of September.

Yes, they are affiliated with Wendy's.