Transcript 10/12/09 Jehan Shamsid-Deen

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/12/09 Jehan Shamsid-Deen

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:53 pm

Jehan Shamsid-Deen
Concord, NC

Jehan is out of lifelines.

Topic Tree:

Obituaries
The Medal of Honor
(Classic Literature)
(Weights & Measures)
(What Is It?)
(The Internet)
(At the Bookstore)
(Same Name)
(Video Games)
(Words & Phrases)
(Drugs)
(The Oscars)
(On the Menu)
(Animals)
(Areas of Study)

$500K The only woman ever to awarded the Medal of Honor received it for her service in what war?
A. Iraq War
B. Vietnam War
C. World War I
D. U.S. Civil War

Jehan says that the woman won the medal in the “Battle of” something “Run.”
She says her name was Mary Walker, she just doesn’t know which war.

Time expires without Jehan making a final answer.
Jehan leaves with $250K.

Jehan tells us she was torn between World War I and the Civil War. She’s thinks it’s probably World War I because the government rescinded the medal in 1917.

Spoiler
D. U.S. Civil War (0)
Jeham moves into the number one position of the tournament.

Tournament of Ten Leader Board
1. Jehan Shamsid-Deen $250K – 2:09
2. Keilani Goggins $100K - 1:53
3. Jeff Birt $100K - 1:53
4. Matt Schultz $100K - 2:28
5. Tim Janus $100K - 2:44
6. Ralph Cambeis $50K - 1:13
7. Robin Schwartz $50K - 1:40
8. Alex Ortiz $50K - 2:19
9. Fred Roberts $50K - 2:27
10. Benny Shum $50K - 2:29

Answers:
$500K D. U.S. Civil War

chad1m

Re: Transcript 10/12/09 Jehan Shamsid-Deen

#2 Post by chad1m » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:12 pm

I had no idea, but as soon as she mentioned "something Run", I knew she was trying to think of Bull Run, obviously from the Civil War. Shame she couldn't come up with it in time but with her leanings toward WWI, it's a good thing she didn't go for it.

And hey - she knocked Carver out of the Tournament! :)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014Z7QO26/ref ... 6vb11BJ6JV
Get on a Game Show!, my e-book guide now available on Amazon!

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Wow. She seemed to know everything about the woman in question... except for the war that she served in.

This may be as close as we're ever gonna get to seeing somebody win $500K on SynBAM anymore.

heelsrule1988

#4 Post by heelsrule1988 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Can't wait to see her in the Tournament of Trash... she's the frontrunner for sure.

hanzz

#5 Post by hanzz » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:10 pm

Good for her. Obviously sounds like she did some studying on the subject between tapings, too bad she just couldn't pull that name out. Great run.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

ten96lt

#6 Post by ten96lt » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:42 am

Sooooooooooooo so close!

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:53 am

hanzz wrote:Good for her. Obviously sounds like she did some studying on the subject between tapings, too bad she just couldn't pull that name out. Great run.
It sounded like a nightmare outcome from cramming--remembering all these really obscure details, but not knowing the far more basic one about the (First and Second) Battles of Bull Run. Good thing she walked!

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:56 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Wow. She seemed to know everything about the woman in question... except for the war that she served in.

This may be as close as we're ever gonna get to seeing somebody win $500K on SynBAM anymore.
Hey! Speak for yourself, Jackson!
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

NellyLunatic1980

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:12 am

gsabc wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Wow. She seemed to know everything about the woman in question... except for the war that she served in.

Hey! Speak for yourself, Jackson!
Whoops! I forgot that you and several other BBs will soon be in the Hot Seat. :oops: :oops: :oops:

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:56 am

Here's an article about Jehan's carryover appearance (which had a little uncredited BB input?).

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entert ... 98473.html

wintergreen48

#11 Post by wintergreen48 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:06 am

What happened here is that I think she learned a lot of facts, but not the background that drives them. Apart from not knowing that the Battle of... Run was a Civil War battle (which, FWIW, in some parts of this here America are known as the Battles of First Manassas and Second Manassas), she knew that the medal was withdrawn in 1917, and if she had known or understood the background behind that, that should have been the tip-off that the medal was awarded during the Civil War: that was the first war in which the medals were awarded, and the criteria were very loose (in one instance, an entire regiment from Maine-- over 800 soldiers-- received the Medal of Honor as a 'reward' for re-enlisting when their enlistment term ran out). Anyway, during World War I an effort was made to 'clean things up,' and they looked back at all those awards, and the Army decided to pull back over 900 of the medals awarded during the Civil War (including the medals awarded to that Maine regiment, and the medals awarded to Dr. Walker and to Buffalo Bill). Some of those rescinded awards were later un-rescinded (Buffalo Bill and Dr. Walker both got their medals back), but the point is, the whole reason for the rescission of the awards was that things were too loose during the Civil War, and the medals that were withdrawn were those loosely-awarded medals from that War. So it is odd that she knew all that background, and about the rescission, but did not know the context.

Data without context is, well, 'just' trivia.
Innocent, naive and whimsical. And somewhat footloose and fancy-free.

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:08 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Jehan Shamsid-Deen
Concord, NC

Jehan is out of lifelines.
But that doesn't have to stop her.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500K The only woman ever to awarded the Medal of Honor received it for her service in what war?
A. Iraq War
B. Vietnam War
C. World War I
D. U.S. Civil War

Jehan says that the woman won the medal in the “Battle of” something “Run.”
She says her name was Mary Walker, she just doesn’t know which war.

Time expires without Jehan making a final answer.
Jehan leaves with $250K.

Jehan tells us she was torn between World War I and the Civil War. She’s thinks it’s probably World War I because the government rescinded the medal in 1917.
Spoiler
D. U.S. Civil War (0)
Bummer! She had the right idea, even the right battle (first Battle of Bull Run). I think she might have had a real shot if not for TDC - maybe her thoughts about the battle would have done it (there aren't any WWI battles called [something] Run. Nonetheless she made a great run, is in the ToT in 1st place (and not likely to be ousted from that spot). She just might win the $1M.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:20 am

wintergreen48 wrote:What happened here is that I think she learned a lot of facts, but not the background that drives them. Apart from not knowing that the Battle of... Run was a Civil War battle (which, FWIW, in some parts of this here America are known as the Battles of First Manassas and Second Manassas), she knew that the medal was withdrawn in 1917, and if she had known or understood the background behind that, that should have been the tip-off that the medal was awarded during the Civil War: that was the first war in which the medals were awarded, and the criteria were very loose (in one instance, an entire regiment from Maine-- over 800 soldiers-- received the Medal of Honor as a 'reward' for re-enlisting when their enlistment term ran out). Anyway, during World War I an effort was made to 'clean things up,' and they looked back at all those awards, and the Army decided to pull back over 900 of the medals awarded during the Civil War (including the medals awarded to that Maine regiment, and the medals awarded to Dr. Walker and to Buffalo Bill). Some of those rescinded awards were later un-rescinded (Buffalo Bill and Dr. Walker both got their medals back), but the point is, the whole reason for the rescission of the awards was that things were too loose during the Civil War, and the medals that were withdrawn were those loosely-awarded medals from that War. So it is odd that she knew all that background, and about the rescission, but did not know the context.

Data without context is, well, 'just' trivia.
So did the Army track down all the veterans of that Maine regiment (or their descendants) to repossess those medals? Or did they just issue a press release saying "these don't count, any more"?

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:40 am

500K: I would have been long gone, but had I ever seen this question in any context, I would have needed help on it. PAF/Googler kind of help.

Now, with that out of the way, I think this fine, fine contestant was cheated of even more money by that clock. She knew a lot about this woman in the Q, including her name. She said, aloud, "Battle of Bull...?". She also said that the medal was rescinded in 1917. With more time, she'd have gotten "Battle of Bull Run", & realized that WWI didn't start for the US 'til after 1917, & realized it had to be the Civil War.

Instead, she let the clock run out.

She's currently my vote to win the tournament, based on smarts & high value won going in.

ghostjmf

#15 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:46 am

Before anyone else points it out, the US did enter WWI in 1917. WWI started in 1914. It was over by 1918.