Transcript 10/07/2009 - Charles Patton (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/07/2009 - Charles Patton (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:08 pm

Charles Patton
Saxapahaw, NC
High school band director

Meredith asks Charles to explain the didgeridoo. (the tubular Australian musical instrument) Charles is missing band camp for the taping. Meredith asked what songs his kids like to play, he mentioned they don't like the stuffy songs their parents might listen to, e.g. The Final Countown by Europe - instead things like the Black-Eyed Peas. Meredith suggests that he should teach them the Millionaire theme.

Question Topics:
Honest Abe
Poets
Crime Fighters
Foreign Phrases
Areas of Study
In the News
Legal Aid
James Bond
Radio Personalities
Islands
Harry Potter
The Internet
Academics
In the Kitchen
World Regions

Charles has the Phone a Friend and Ask The Expert lifelines.
Robin Meade is today's expert.

$12,500 - James Bond
Featuring an explanation of how James Bond unzipped a dress with a magnet, who wrote the 2008 memoir "My Word Is My Bond"?
A: Sean Connery B: Roger Moore
C: Timothy Dalton D: Pierce Brosnan

a "wow" is heard from the audience when Meredith finishes reading the choices...

With 12 seconds remaining, Charles decides to Phone a Friend, his "Auntie Em" Mary-Alice.
PAF discussion
Charles reads the question and choices, verbatim, in 15 seconds. He waits a moment and then summarizes with "my word is my bond, who wrote that?" His aunt asks how much time is remaining ("4 seconds" when there were 7 left...) and then asks for the choices again with only 4 seconds on the clock. Charles does an admirable job of reading them all in two seconds, and she responds with "I don't have it, I'm sorry." as the clock runs out.
With 9 seconds remaining, Charles decides to Ask the Expert.
ATE discussion
Robin gives an "oo la la" at the dress reference. Robin asks what Charles thinks, he says Roger Moore seems like the "most gadgety guy" but he has no idea. Robin replies that she's going with A, but she offers the caveat that, "I don't know, and I'm not a big James Bond fan." The audience boos at this, and Meredith says "no no, don't turn on the expert..."
With the comment that, "$10,000 is more than what would've been here with the old rules," Charles
Spoiler
decides to walk.
Spoiler
B: Roger Moore( )

Answers:
$12.5K: B: Roger Moore

Brit Canuck

Re: Transcript 10/07/2009 - Charles Patton (carryover)

#2 Post by Brit Canuck » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:44 am

The response to that James Bond question was interesting.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$12,500 - James Bond
Featuring an explanation of how James Bond unzipped a dress with a magnet, who wrote the 2008 memoir "My Word Is My Bond"?

a "wow" is heard from the audience when Meredith finishes reading the choices...

... With the comment that, "$10,000 is more than what would've been here with the old rules," Charles
Spoiler
decides to walk.
Spoiler
Audience - oh, wow, that's a tough one, glad that's not me sitting there... [/sarcasm]

Higher valued questions = more difficult questions, I think. Only a true Bondofile or a book expert will know that one.

(from Transcript)
Ask the Expert: Robin (Meade) replies that she's going with
Spoiler
A
, but she offers the caveat that, "I don't know, and I'm not a big James Bond fan." The audience boos at this, and Meredith says "no no, don't turn on the expert..."

I wish Ask the Audience was still available at that point, I'd be interested to see if they could have done better. Especially since Robin was right.

I'm tempted to do another motivational-style poster that makes fun of Millionaire's studio audiences... :?

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:22 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:With the comment that, "$10,000 is more than what would've been here with the old rules," Charles
Spoiler
decides to walk.
Way to add excitement to the show with new rules, TPTB! :|

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#4 Post by frogman042 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:30 am

Brit Canuck wrote:The response to that James Bond question was interesting.

... With the comment that, "$10,000 is more than what would've been here with the old rules," Charles
Spoiler
decides to walk.
Spoiler
Audience - oh, wow, that's a tough one, glad that's not me sitting there... [/sarcasm]

Higher valued questions = more difficult questions, I think. Only a true Bondofile or a book expert will know that one.

(from Transcript)
Spoiler
A
, but she offers the caveat that, "I don't know, and I'm not a big James Bond fan." The audience boos at this, and Meredith says "no no, don't turn on the expert..."

I wish Ask the Audience was still available at that point, I'd be interested to see if they could have done better. Especially since Robin was right.

I'm tempted to do another motivational-style poster that makes fun of Millionaire's studio audiences... :?
The crowd really did seem rowdy and to boo the expert was interesting, but
Spoiler
the expert went with Sean Connery and was wrong, Charles thought it was Roger Moore and was right. His reaction to the correct answer showed the pain he felt with not going with his instinct - I hope he can start having restful nights in the near future.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:40 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Charles Patton
Saxapahaw, NC
High school band director

Meredith asks Charles to explain the didgeridoo. (the tubular Australian musical instrument) Charles is missing band camp for the taping. Meredith asked what songs his kids like to play, he mentioned they don't like the stuffy songs their parents might listen to, e.g. The Final Countown by Europe - instead things like the Black-Eyed Peas. Meredith suggests that he should teach them the Millionaire theme.
Hey, maybe he could hook up with the guy who started a whistling choir. They could do "The Colonel Bogie March" and other selected tunes.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $12,500 - James Bond

With 12 seconds remaining, Charles decides to Phone a Friend, his "Auntie Em" Mary-Alice.
PAF discussion
Charles reads the question and choices, verbatim, in 15 seconds. He waits a moment and then summarizes with "my word is my bond, who wrote that?" His aunt asks how much time is remaining ("4 seconds" when there were 7 left...) and then asks for the choices again with only 4 seconds on the clock. Charles does an admirable job of reading them all in two seconds, and she responds with "I don't have it, I'm sorry." as the clock runs out.
With 9 seconds remaining, Charles decides to Ask the Expert.
ATE discussion
Robin gives an "oo la la" at the dress reference. Robin asks what Charles thinks, he says Roger Moore seems like the "most gadgety guy" but he has no idea. Robin replies that she's going with A, but she offers the caveat that, "I don't know, and I'm not a big James Bond fan." The audience boos at this, and Meredith says "no no, don't turn on the expert..."
With the comment that, "$10,000 is more than what would've been here with the old rules," Charles
Spoiler
decides to walk.
Spoiler
"Wow" is right. I have no idea, but I have lifelines so let's use one. Given the audience response they either know it or it's a real stumper. Might as well start with ATA and see where it gets me. If I don't like the responses, it's time for PAF.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Jeemie

#6 Post by Jeemie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Don't know this but it's a tailor-made PAF Google (SOB).

OK- maybe my angry mob torch isn't COMPLETELY burned out yet, Marley!!!!!
1979 City of Champions 2009

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Spoiler
decides to walk.
Spoiler

(from Transcript)
Spoiler
A

Robin may have been right about not being a Bond fan, but, according to the transcript you've quoted, she was wrong about the question...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

doitneatly

Re: Transcript 10/07/2009 - Charles Patton (carryo

#8 Post by doitneatly » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Estonut wrote:

Spoiler
decides to walk.
Spoiler

(from Transcript)
Spoiler
A

Robin may have been right about not being a Bond fan, but, according to the transcript you've quoted, she was wrong about the question...
And trust me, the transcription is spot on. The assertion above is indeed specious, and our expert's "answer coupled with a nullifying caveat" was not correct.
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

moonie

#9 Post by moonie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:28 pm

Tough, tough undervalued question, in my book.
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lurk i go!

Jeemie

#10 Post by Jeemie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:14 pm

moonie wrote:Tough, tough undervalued question, in my book.
I didn't know it, and I'm a Bond junkie.

It's been too long since I've seen Live and Let Die (it wasn't a magnet- it was Bond's electromagnetic watch).

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:02 am

Here's an article about Charles's appearance.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/local- ... -wins.html
When Meade couldn’t give him an answer, Patton decided to walk away instead of risking losing $5,000 on a hunch.

“For me, to have the opportunity (to win $10,000) and treat it so casually” was not right, Patton said, especially when so many of the parents at his school struggle every day to make ends meet.
But what about the opportunity to win $1,000,000, Charles?

NellyLunatic1980

#12 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:11 am

I had no clue on the Bond question, either. I don't trust Robin on this one--I feel that she may be of better use on the $25K In the News question--so I'll PAF.

Jeemie

#13 Post by Jeemie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:20 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:I had no clue on the Bond question, either. I don't trust Robin on this one--I feel that she may be of better use on the $25K In the News question--so I'll PAF.
Patton DID PAF...but the PAF booted the question.