BAM Transcript: Karl Allis (10/2/09)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

BAM Transcript: Karl Allis (10/2/09)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Karl Allis
Denver, CO
Bar Manager

Karl's real name is Edward Karl Allis IV, but his nickname is "Hungus"- from the character Karl Hungus from "The Big Lebowski". It started with just a couple of football buddies, spread to the coaches, and when a professor once asked him "Hungus, where's your syllabus", Karl knew that "this was taking off". Now, it's even on his business card. Karl's dream is to have his own radio show, which he, of course, would call "The Hungus Show"- he'd even do it with a sidekick- say, "The Hungus and Meredith Show". Meredith thought it would be called "The Hungus Among Us" show, but at any rate, believes Karl "won't want her around" once she hands him the check for $1 million.

Categories

Viral Video
Sigmund Freud
Billy Crystal
Word Origins
Astronauts
The FDA
Chinese Food
The Middle East
Prehistoric Times
Elected Officials
Sports Logos
In the Dictionary
The Bible
The Internet
Game Shows

$500 (Game Shows)- On hiring Vanna White, "Wheel of Fortune" creator Merv Griffin once said, "I picked her because she knew the whole" what?

A- Atlas B- Calendar
C- Alphabet D- Menu at IHOP
Spoiler
C- Alphabet (8)
$1,000 (The Internet)- The online radio station beethoven.com plays what genre of music?

A- Hip-hop B- Classical
C- Hard rock D- Jazz
Spoiler
B- Classical (8)
$2,000 (The Bible)- In the Bible, whose height is given as "six cubits and a span", or somewhere between nine and twelve feet?

A- Goliath B- Abraham
C- Moses D- Noah

(Karl: "I probably know something about big dudes...")
Spoiler
A- Goliath (8)
$3,000 (In the Dictionary)- When used as a verb, the name of what vital organ becomes a word meaning "to tolerate"?

A- Stomach B- Kidney
C- Liver D- Lung
Spoiler
A- Stomach (9)
$5,000 (Sports Logos)- Which of these pro sports franchises has a logo that depicts a Native American chief, and not a kind of animal?

A- Arizona Cardinals B- Minnesota Timberwolves
C- Florida Marlins D- Chicago Blackhawks
Spoiler
D- Chicago Blackhawks (5)
Commercial Break

A sneak peak at a $12,500 question from Monday
Spoiler
With roughly 8,000 residents, what is the smallest state capital in the United States?

A- Juneau, AK B- Montpelier, VT
C- Bismarck, ND D- Jefferson City, MO
$7,500 (Elected Officials)- Which of these men had never been elected to a public office before becoming President?

A- Lyndon B. Johnson B- Richard M. Nixon
C- John F. Kennedy D- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Spoiler
D- Dwight D. Eisenhower (11)
$10,000 (Prehistoric Times)- With a name meaning "fish-lizards", which of these prehistoric creatures was specifically adapted for life under water?

A- Icthyosaurus B- Triceratops
D- Stegosaurus D- Pterodactyl

Karl gets it by a process of elimination ("Do I really have to pronounce the answer for
Spoiler
A
?") Transcriber's note: Um, no, Karl, you really don't, but knock yourself out and take time of the clock!
Spoiler
A- Icthyosaurus (8)
"Looking good, Hungus! Going for $12,500!" Karl: "I know you mean that literally."

$12,500 (The Middle East)- Dubbed by Fortune magazine as the "richest city in the world", Abu Dhabi is located in what Middle Eastern country?

A- Saudi Arabia B- United Arab Emirates
C- Oman D- Qatar

At 8 seconds, Karl uses his ATA lifeline:

ATA results: A- 23%, B- 65%, C- 2%, D- 10%

Spoiler
B- United Arab Emirates (4)
Horn! Karl will return for Monday's show.

Tournament of Ten Current Standings

1- Keilani Goggins $100,000 (1:53)
2- Jeff Birt $100,000 (1:53)
3- Matt Schultz $100,000 (2:28)
4- Tim Janus $100,000 (2:44)
5- Ralph Cambeis $50,000 (1:13)
6- Robin Schwartz $50,000 (1:40)
7- Alex Ortiz $50,000 (2:19)
8- Fred Roberts $50,000 (2:27)
9- Benny Shum $50,000 (2:29)
10- Alan Carver $25,000 (0:30)

Jeemie

Re: BAM Transcript: Karl Allis (10/2/09)

#2 Post by Jeemie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:46 pm

Karl's stack is shaping up to be a dream stack for me.

No LL's used so far, and even the upcoming categories look inviting.
1979 City of Champions 2009

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:46 pm

Here's an article about Karl.

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2 ... _wants.php
Watch Karl Allis, restaurant manager at Atomic Cowboy and Fat Sully's and an occasional on-air personality at KKFN (his dream is to have a show called "The Hungus Amongus"), takes a shot at winning a million bucks on Who Wants to be a Millionaire
So he's already a part-time What Else, hoping for full-time status! :wink:
But Allis seems well-prepared to win on his own: He started a trivia night five years ago at Atomic Cowboy called "Atomic Trivia," and has written thousands of questions. That game has just one rule: When you win, you have to do a victory lap around the bar.
Good training that comes with Presidential Challenge points! :)

Jeemie

#4 Post by Jeemie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:49 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Here's an article about Karl.

Watch Karl Allis, restaurant manager at Atomic Cowboy and Fat Sully's and an occasional on-air personality at KKFN (his dream is to have a show called "The Hungus Amongus"), takes a shot at winning a million bucks on Who Wants to be a Millionaire
So he's already a part-time What Else, hoping for full-time status! :wink
Not mentioned (except in oblique fashion, by Karl mentioning his football buddies and coaches) is that he is a former Colorado Buffaloes offensive lineman.

I posted this stuff already- I like the guy- he seems nice, and so far has not been one to waste lifelines on questions he can reason out the answer to.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:57 pm

Jeemie wrote:Not mentioned (except in oblique fashion, by Karl mentioning his football buddies and coaches) is that he is a former Colorado Buffaloes offensive lineman.
That's college football, right?
Jeemie wrote:I posted this stuff already- I like the guy- he seems nice, and so far has not been one to waste lifelines on questions he can reason out the answer to.
Sorry, I didn't see the separate thread.

Jeemie

#6 Post by Jeemie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:12 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Jeemie wrote:Not mentioned (except in oblique fashion, by Karl mentioning his football buddies and coaches) is that he is a former Colorado Buffaloes offensive lineman.
That's college football, right?
Yes.

ten96lt

#7 Post by ten96lt » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:17 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Here's an article about Karl.

So he's already a part-time What Else, hoping for full-time status! :wink:
Am I starting to wish I said I want to become a professional comedian during my on camera audition? Because the AP asked during the interview if I was looking to become one full time and I just said I was just having fun with it now in College and when I was in high school and if something happens cool, but as the joke goes when you do standup professionally, the first question is, "What do you do for a living?"

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:00 am

ten96lt wrote:Am I starting to wish I said I want to become a professional comedian during my on camera audition? Because the AP asked during the interview if I was looking to become one full time and I just said I was just having fun with it now in College and when I was in high school and if something happens cool, but as the joke goes when you do standup professionally, the first question is, "What do you do for a living?"
There's a reason why "What Else?" has become a stock expression here.

guillotine06

#9 Post by guillotine06 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:32 am

He's a cool dude. He was in the ROF in my PTBAM episode. The funny part is he was an last minute emergency replacement for Keilani Goggins on that show.

ten96lt

#10 Post by ten96lt » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:03 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ten96lt wrote:Am I starting to wish I said I want to become a professional comedian during my on camera audition? Because the AP asked during the interview if I was looking to become one full time and I just said I was just having fun with it now in College and when I was in high school and if something happens cool, but as the joke goes when you do standup professionally, the first question is, "What do you do for a living?"
There's a reason why "What Else?" has become a stock expression here.
As Charlie Brown said.......ARGGGGGGGGGG lol. I tell ya my luck is never good, I went to the track, bet $100, they fired they opening gun, killed my horse. :P

And let that be a lesson to you kids........honesty is for suckers :mrgreen:

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Karl Allis
Denver, CO
Bar Manager

Karl's real name is Edward Karl Allis IV, but his nickname is "Hungus"- from the character Karl Hungus from "The Big Lebowski". It started with just a couple of football buddies, spread to the coaches, and when a professor once asked him "Hungus, where's your syllabus", Karl knew that "this was taking off". Now, it's even on his business card. Karl's dream is to have his own radio show, which he, of course, would call "The Hungus Show"- he'd even do it with a sidekick- say, "The Hungus and Meredith Show". Meredith thought it would be called "The Hungus Among Us" show, but at any rate, believes Karl "won't want her around" once she hands him the check for $1 million.
Wasn't the leader of the road gang in the second "Mad Max" movie named Hungus or Humungus? Looks like Karl is a WE®, or at least aspring to be in the WE® category.

Nihil obstat® so far.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:33 am

earendel wrote:Wasn't the leader of the road gang in the second "Mad Max" movie named Hungus or Humungus?
Yes, Kjell Nilsson played The Humungus. And very little after that...
Humungus: I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war.

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:45 am

Here's a promo for Karl's carryover appearance. There's a spoiler for the first question he sees today.

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2 ... ho_wan.php

NellyLunatic1980

#14 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Karl Allis
Denver, CO
Bar Manager

Karl's dream is to have his own radio show, which he, of course, would call "The Hungus Show"
Future Where Else®.

$12.5K: Can't remember if it's the capital of Qatar or UAE. I will also ATA.

Jeemie

#15 Post by Jeemie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:09 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Here's a promo for Karl's carryover appearance. There's a spoiler for the first question he sees today.

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2 ... ho_wan.php
I had no clue on this one, but I would have used my Double Dip, and my first guess would have been the correct answer!