Transcript 09/30/2009 - Pam Wroblewski (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/30/2009 - Pam Wroblewski (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Pam Wroblewski
Brooklyn, NY

Meredith compliments the name of Pam's new baby ("Canyon Sky"). Pam is playing for him, she wants to move from their apartment to someplace with a yard to play in, good school, etc.

Today's Expert is Mo Rocca.

Question Topics:
* Sherlock Holmes
* Famous Addresses
* Composers
* Twitter
* Famous Paintings
* The Donald
* Graduate School
* Mexican food
* Former Presidents
* (Animal Idioms)
* (Air Travel)
* (Unusual Names)
* (Healthcare)
* (Snacks)
* (Heroes)

$10,000 - Former Presidents
To celebrate his 85th birthday, what did George H.W. Bush do while strapped to an U.S. Army Sergeant?
A: Bungee jump B: Skydive
C: Water ski D: Hang glide
Spoiler
B: Skydive (21)

$12,500 - Mexican Food
"Arroz y frijoles" is a traditional Mexican side dish consisting of rice and what?
A: Beans B: Tomatoes
C: Spinach D: Corn
Spoiler
A: Beans (26)

$15,000 - Graduate School
Many graduate students find themselves in the ambiguous status commonly known as "ABD," or "all but" what?
A: Direction B: Dissertation
C: Dean's list D: Distinction

Pam "has an idea" but decides to ATA.

ATA: A: 18% B: 60% C: 7% D: 15%
Spoiler
B: Dissertation (21)

$25,000 - The Donald
In 2009, a judge dismissed Donald Trump's billion dollar lawsuit against an author Trump claimed had defamed him by saying what?
A: His hair is a toupee B: He cheats at golf
C: "The Apprentice" is staged D: He's a millionaire, not a billionaire

With 18 seconds left, Pam decides to Ask the Expert.

Mo: I'm gonna go with D, that would be defamation<broken audio>definition
Pam: How sure are you?
Mo: I'm very<broken audio> For a guy who wrote The Art of the Deal, to be called that is the worst possible thing, a millionaire not a billionaire.
Pam,confused: Is this a guess?
Mo: Oh <broken audio> I know. I know this. (But while looking a bit... tentative)
Pam: you know?
Mo: yes. I know. If I'm wrong: free babysitting!

Spoiler
D: He's a millionaire, not a billionaire (16)

--------- commercial break ------------

$50,000 - Famous Paintings
For his 1851 painting, "Washington Crossing the Delaware," German-born Emmanuel Leutze reportedly used what river as a model?
A: Loire B: Arno
C: Rhine D: Ebro

Pam has no idea, decides to phone a friend with 38 seconds left on the clock.

Pam preempts Meredith's normal reading of the choices by saying she'll call her friend Mike.

Pam summarizes the question and the choices with 18 seconds remaining. Mike says, "I'm not sure, I think the Rhine..." as the clock runs down.

Pam decides to use the Double Dip. Her first guess is
Spoiler
C
. Meredith says "No... reason to any further, you got $50,000" and poor Pam looks faint for a moment. :-)
Spoiler
C: Rhine (31)
Pam is looking close to tears at this point, her voice is quite shaky... Meredith asks her about the ribbon on her left wrist. Pam explains it's a St. Ignatius medal, in honor of her recently-deceased grandfather (named Ignatius) who "took care of me all my life."

$100,000 - Twitter
In 2009, the British royal family set up an official Twitter account, posting tweets under what user name?
A: BuckinghamPalace B: HerMajestyQE2
C: HouseOfWindsor D: BritishMonarchy

Pam has a guess, decides to go for it. She drops down to $25,000.
Spoiler
D: BritishMonarchy ( )
Pam has reached position #10 on the ToT board:

Tournament of Ten Leader Board

1. Keilani Goggins $100,000 - 1:53
2. Jeff Birt $100,000 - 1:53
3. Matt Schultz $100,000 - 2:26
4. Tim Janus $100,000 - 2:44
5. Ralph Cambeis $50,000 - 1:13
6. Robin Schwartz $50,000 - 1:40
7. Alex Ortiz $50,000 - 2:19
8. Fred Roberts $50,000 - 2:27
9. Alan Carver $25,000 - 0:30
10. Pam Wroblewski $25,000 - 1:23

vettech

Re: Transcript 09/30/2009 - Pam Wroblewski (carryover)

#2 Post by vettech » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:25 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $50,000 - Famous Paintings
For his 1851 painting, "Washington Crossing the Delaware," German-born Emmanuel Leutze reportedly used what river as a model?

Pam summarizes the question ...
Leaving out an important hint, if I heard correctly. He may have been more sure and saved her a DD.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:30 am

vettech wrote:

Leaving out an important hint, if I heard correctly. He may have been more sure and saved her a DD.
Yes, she left out the "German-born" phrase and her pronunciation of Leutze (which she also left out on her first reading of the question) didn't make it clear that it was a German name.

I'm surprised they had a "go with the obvious hint" question like this for $50,000. Did anyone on the Bored really know what freaking river the artist used as a model in this painting, before this question came up?

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:30 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000 - Former Presidents
To celebrate his 85th birthday, what did George H.W. Bush do while strapped to an U.S. Army Sergeant?
A: Bungee jump B: Skydive
C: Water ski D: Hang glide
As I recall, Bush also went skydiving on his 75th birthday.

$15K: Never heard of this term. I will also ATA.

$25K: No clue. I'm going to Mo, as well.

$100K: Clearly, a WGAS question. I'll PAF.

Jeemie

#5 Post by Jeemie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:19 am

$12.5K: Gotta be beans- not 100% sure, but close enough to 100% to go for it.

$15K- I have never heard this term, but I hope I could have reasoned it out in 30 seconds. If not, then ATA to gain time (and they got it right).

$25K- never heard of this case, but "D" is the obvious choice. Hold my breath and go for it.

$50K- did not know the river, but it's a free guess- I'm going with the hints in the question and going for Rhine, knowing that the Loire is in France, the Arno in Italy, and the Ebro in Spain.

$100K- by this time, after those four questions, I would also be a nervous wreck. But it's got to be a perfect PAF question. So PAF- I'm trusting Mo Rocca will be good for any of the three remaining categories.

So- I'm looking at the $250 K with the ATE and DD for sure, and possibly the ATA.
1979 City of Champions 2009

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:32 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000 - Twitter
In 2009, the British royal family set up an official Twitter account, posting tweets under what user name?
Are you wondering what the BritishMonarchy would tweet about? Here's the text of their recent tweets. (Each tweet was accompanied by a link to their official web site, for more details.)
# On 2 Oct 11:00: Changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace
about 1 hour ago from Royal Household

# On 2 Oct: The Duke of York - Special Representative for International Trade and Investment, will visit Singapore.
about 2 hours ago from Royal Household

# On 2 Oct: The Earl of Wessex - Patron, the Windsor Festival, will attend the International String Competition...
about 3 hours ago from Royal Household

# On 2 Oct: The Princess Royal - Member, International Olympic Committee (IOC) will attend the 121st IOC Session...
about 4 hours ago from Royal Household

# On 2 Oct: Princess Alexandra - will attend a Reception and Concert in the University Chapel, Canterbury Christ...
about 5 hours ago from Royal Household

# Gallery: A Paveway 4,500lb precision guided bomb is shown to The Countess of Wessex during her visit to RAF...
about 21 hours ago from Royal Household
<yawn>

:wink:

Jeemie

#7 Post by Jeemie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:34 am

Marley- that is pretty much what Twitter is.

It's the more modern equivalent of a person in the cereal aisle talking to his friend on the cell phone. "I don't know- I think I'll get the Frosted Flakes- but wait! Frosted Cheerios is on sale!"*

*This is part of an actual conversation I overheard at the grocery store once. It got more banal that that!

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:39 am

Jeemie wrote:Marley- that is pretty much what Twitter is.

It's the more modern equivalent of a person in the cereal aisle talking to his friend on the cell phone. "I don't know- I think I'll get the Frosted Flakes- but wait! Frosted Cheerios is on sale!"*

*This is part of an actual conversation I overheard at the grocery store once. It got more banal that that!
Oh, thank you for explaining that, Jeemie. I had no idea!

But this particular Twitter page (like many other official/corporate/celebrity Twitter pages) doesn't even offer the particular banality of the What I'm having for breakfast tweets. These are merely another outlet for the banality of standard press releases.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#9 Post by frogman042 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:49 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

But this particular Twitter page (like many other official/corporate/celebrity Twitter pages) doesn't even offer the particular banality of the What I'm having for breakfast tweets. These are merely another outlet for the banality of standard press releases.
Are you kidding me?

Didn't you see the tweet regarding:
4,500lb precision guided bomb is shown to The Countess of Wessex
Which is basically telling that little upstart, Lady Farthingbottom, to stop having her corgi releave itself on the Contess's estate or crater city for her.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:58 am

frogman042 wrote:Didn't you see the tweet regarding:
Well, I did go to the web site to admire that particular photo! :mrgreen:

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:11 am

frogman042 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Are you kidding me?

Which is basically telling that little upstart, Lady Farthingbottom, to stop having her corgi relieve itself on the Countess's estate or crater city for her.
Her Royal Highness The Princess Edward Antony Richard Louis, Countess of Wessex, Viscountess Severn, Dame of Justice of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, better known as Sophie, is not amused.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:17 am

Bob Juch wrote:Her Royal Highness The Princess Edward Antony Richard Louis, Countess of Wessex, Viscountess Severn, Dame of Justice of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, better known as Sophie, is not amused.
I'd think she'd be less amused by being called Princess Edward Antony Richard Louis. :mrgreen:

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:20 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Her Royal Highness The Princess Edward Antony Richard Louis, Countess of Wessex, Viscountess Severn, Dame of Justice of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, better known as Sophie, is not amused.
I'd think she'd be less amused by being called Princess Edward Antony Richard Louis. :mrgreen:
Or being called a dame. :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:24 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Pam Wroblewski
Brooklyn, NY

Meredith compliments the name of Pam's new baby ("Canyon Sky"). Pam is playing for him, she wants to move from their apartment to someplace with a yard to play in, good school, etc.
Sounds like a "New Age" name from the 70s or 80s.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$15,000 - Graduate School
Many graduate students find themselves in the ambiguous status commonly known as "ABD," or "all but" what?
A: Direction B: Dissertation
C: Dean's list D: Distinction

Pam "has an idea" but decides to ATA.

ATA: A: 18% B: 60% C: 7% D: 15%
Spoiler
B: Dissertation (21)
Just so happens that I was in that category once.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 - The Donald
In 2009, a judge dismissed Donald Trump's billion dollar lawsuit against an author Trump claimed had defamed him by saying what?
A: His hair is a toupee B: He cheats at golf
C: "The Apprentice" is staged D: He's a millionaire, not a billionaire

With 18 seconds left, Pam decides to Ask the Expert.

Mo: I'm gonna go with D, that would be defamation<broken audio>definition
Pam: How sure are you?
Mo: I'm very<broken audio> For a guy who wrote The Art of the Deal, to be called that is the worst possible thing, a millionaire not a billionaire.
Pam,confused: Is this a guess?
Mo: Oh <broken audio> I know. I know this. (But while looking a bit... tentative)
Pam: you know?
Mo: yes. I know. If I'm wrong: free babysitting!
Spoiler
D: He's a millionaire, not a billionaire (16)
D certainly sounds like something that would set The Donald off. I still have other lifelines, though, and this looks like one for a PAF (sorry, Mo).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000 - Famous Paintings

Pam has no idea, decides to phone a friend with 38 seconds left on the clock.

Pam preempts Meredith's normal reading of the choices by saying she'll call her friend Mike.

Pam summarizes the question and the choices with 18 seconds remaining. Mike says, "I'm not sure, I think the Rhine..." as the clock runs down.

Pam decides to use the Double Dip. Her first guess is
Spoiler
C
. Meredith says "No... reason to any further, you got $50,000" and poor Pam looks faint for a moment. :-)
Spoiler
C: Rhine (31)
"German-born" would certainly imply the Rhine would be the answer, but at this level the obvious answer seems too obvious. But it's a free guess, so let's go with it.

Pam has a guess, decides to go for it. She drops down to $25,000.
Spoiler
D: BritishMonarchy ( )
I would have had no idea, but since I have DD, I'd use it and go with C and D, choosing C first. It's a shame that Pam went for it, seeing as how she needed the money, but the gamer in me admires her courage.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#15 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:31 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
frogman042 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Are you kidding me?

Which is basically telling that little upstart, Lady Farthingbottom, to stop having her corgi relieve itself on the Countess's estate or crater city for her.
Her Royal Highness The Princess Edward Antony Richard Louis, Countess of Wessex, Viscountess Severn, Dame of Justice of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, better known as Sophie, is not amused.

If she's one of your cousins maybe she could lighten her title load by giving you a couple.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#16 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:46 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Are you wondering what the BritishMonarchy would tweet about? Here's the text of their recent tweets. (Each tweet was accompanied by a link to their official web site, for more details.)
# On 2 Oct 11:00: Changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace
about 1 hour ago from Royal Household

# On 2 Oct: The Duke of York - Special Representative for International Trade and Investment, will visit Singapore.
about 2 hours ago from Royal Household

# On 2 Oct: The Earl of Wessex - Patron, the Windsor Festival, will attend the International String Competition...
about 3 hours ago from Royal Household

# On 2 Oct: The Princess Royal - Member, International Olympic Committee (IOC) will attend the 121st IOC Session...
about 4 hours ago from Royal Household

# On 2 Oct: Princess Alexandra - will attend a Reception and Concert in the University Chapel, Canterbury Christ...
about 5 hours ago from Royal Household

# Gallery: A Paveway 4,500lb precision guided bomb is shown to The Countess of Wessex during her visit to RAF...
about 21 hours ago from Royal Household
<yawn>

:wink:

So this is the queen does all day.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

tanstaafl2

#17 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:06 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
vettech wrote:

Yes, she left out the "German-born" phrase and her pronunciation of Leutze (which she also left out on her first reading of the question) didn't make it clear that it was a German name.

I'm surprised they had a "go with the obvious hint" question like this for $50,000. Did anyone on the Bored really know what freaking river the artist used as a model in this painting, before this question came up?
Didn't know the answer before the question, or the artist who painted the picture for that matter, but it does seem that the 50K to me at least often seems easier than 25K and given the artist was clearly described as being German born and the fact that the Rhine was the only German river then I think, well I hope (OK I am sure...), I would have gone for it without wasting multiple lifelines. Or any lifelines for that matter.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Estonut
Evil Genius

#18 Post by Estonut » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Our armchair contestants are amazing. I've seen countless summaries where they have NAC, yet they always choose the correct response as one of their DD options! Uncanny...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

lv42day

#19 Post by lv42day » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:02 pm

It may be uncanny that people always seem to guess correctly from their armchairs, or it may simply mean that people just only want to tell the world when they guess correctly, remaining silent when they guess incorrectly.
One thing I'd like to see more of, is that when people know a WWOQ, especially one worth 250,000 dollars or more, I'd like to know more how they knew that. Like for example, that right whale blowhole question. If you knew the answer, are you a marine biologist? Did you read that off a Snapple label? Just curious....

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#20 Post by kayrharris » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:45 pm

lv42day wrote:It may be uncanny that people always seem to guess correctly from their armchairs, or it may simply mean that people just only want to tell the world when they guess correctly, remaining silent when they guess incorrectly.
One thing I'd like to see more of, is that when people know a WWOQ, especially one worth 250,000 dollars or more, I'd like to know more how they knew that. Like for example, that right whale blowhole question. If you knew the answer, are you a marine biologist? Did you read that off a Snapple label? Just curious....
Good luck with that one!

kay

Jeemie

#21 Post by Jeemie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:35 pm

lv42day wrote: Like for example, that right whale blowhole question. If you knew the answer, are you a marine biologist? Did you read that off a Snapple label? Just curious....
Well, for me, for this particular question, it's because my son loves anything to do with oceanic life, so I've done a lot of looking up of stuff.

Jeemie

#22 Post by Jeemie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:35 pm

Estonut wrote:Our armchair contestants are amazing. I've seen countless summaries where they have NAC, yet they always choose the correct response as one of their DD options! Uncanny...
You do have a 50% shot, right?

Estonut
Evil Genius

#23 Post by Estonut » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:34 pm

Jeemie wrote:
Estonut wrote:Our armchair contestants are amazing. I've seen countless summaries where they have NAC, yet they always choose the correct response as one of their DD options! Uncanny...
Yup. But that doesn't explain 100% success. It's just interesting how they say they have no clue whatsoever, yet are confidently able to eliminate choices. I wish I knew how they did that...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Jeemie

#24 Post by Jeemie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Estonut wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Yup. But that doesn't explain 100% success. It's just interesting how they say they have no clue whatsoever, yet are confidently able to eliminate choices. I wish I knew how they did that...
It's easy!!!

Ya just gotta go with your gut.

But seriously, a) you're exaggerating how often it comes up, b) it's easy to do from the armchair, and c) everyone always does somewhat of an elimination process, even on a question they "have no clue on".