Transcript 09/25/09 Alex Ortiz

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/25/09 Alex Ortiz

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:34 pm

Alex Ortiz
Stamford, CT
Aspiring Veterinarian

Alex is an aspiring vet from Stamford, CT. Alex just celebrated her birthday with her lifeline friends. They brought her trivia cards, and they also played the online game. Alex didn’t do so well. Meredith says she has a belated present of $1 million for her. All she has to do is answer 15 questions to get it.

Topics:

Pennsylvania Avenue
Maryland
Painters
Mythology
Birds
British Monarchs
Sports
Technology Terms
Same Name
Headlines
Advertising Icons
Word Origins
In The News
Words & Phrases
Weather

$500 (Weather)- An electrical storm is a natural event that commonly showcases an eye-popping display of what?

A- Volcanic lava B- Lightning bolts
C- Morning dew D- Brad Pitt’s pecs
Spoiler
B- Lightning bolts (5)
$1000 (Words & Phrases)- In a popular phrase, a plan that makes useless changes is said to be like “rearranging the deckchairs on the” what?

A- Goodyear Blimp B- Concorde
C- Titanic D- Orient Express
Spoiler
C-Titanic (1)
$2000 (In The News)- Fish and chips were on the menu for the Obama girls during a surprise visit to what European city?

A- Madrid B- London
C- Rome D- Berlin
Spoiler
B- London (5)
$3000 (Word Origins)- The word “alligator” is derived from the Spanish term “el lagarto”, meaning what?

A- The lizard B- The fish
C- The frog D- The crab
Spoiler
A- The lizard (2)
$5000 (Advertising Icons)- In the 1980s, what food franchise ran a series of ads starring a red-suited Claymation villain known as “the Noid”?

A- Red Lobster B- Dairy Queen
C- Wendy’s D- Domino’s Pizza
Spoiler
D- Domino’s Pizza (5)
$7500 (Headlines)- On July 1, 2009, the Duluth News tribune ran what two-word headline about Minnesota’s new U.S. Senator?

A- Sorry: Sanford B- Finally: Franken
C- Uh-oh: Udall D- Sneaky; Specter

At 19 seconds, Alex uses her ATA lifeline

ATA Results: A- 7%, B- 82%, C- 6%, D- 5%
Spoiler
B- Finally: Franken (17)
$10,000 (Same Name)- Which of these cities in Michigan shares its name with a cryptocrystalline variety of the mineral quartz?

A- Flint B- Saginaw
C- Lansing D- Kalamazoo
Spoiler
A- Flint (13)
Commercial Break

$12,500 (Technology Terms)- In the wireless phone abbreviation “3G”, the “G” stands for what?

A- Global B- Generation
C- Gateway D- Guidance

At 24 seconds, Alex uses her ATE lifeline. The expert is still Ashleigh Banfield (who has been great).

Ashleigh’s guess is
Spoiler
“Generation”
. She’s somewhat confident (saying her husband explained this to her, but it “went in one ear and out the other”)
Spoiler
B- Generation (18)
$15,000 (Sports)- Because traditional matches can take as long as five days, what sport also has a sped-up version called “Twenty20”?

A- Polo B- Rugby
C- Squash D- Cricket

At 25 seconds, Alex decides to use her PAF lifeline. Her PAF team is Jeff (Stamford, CT), Tricia (Scarsdale, NY), and Jeff F. (Stamford, CT). Alex chooses Jeff F. Jeff F. chooses
Spoiler
cricket- 90% sure, he says as time expires

Spoiler
D- Cricket(18)
$25,000 (British Monarchs)- In the name of Henry VIII’s first wife, Catherine of Aragon, Aragon refers to a region in what country?

A- Spain B- Belgium
C- Netherlands D- Denmark

Alex “doesn’t know why she knows this”, but to be safe, calls for her DD lifeline at 18 seconds.

Alex’ first guess is
Spoiler
A- Spain

Spoiler
A- Spain (18)
Commercial Break

Alex is now out of lifelines. Alex wants to help her mom retire, since she has worked hard all her life.

$50,000 (Birds)- Which of these first names is also the name of a type of songbird in the swallow family?

A- Rodney B- Martin
C- Howard D- Dwight
Spoiler
B- Martin (31)
$100,000 (Mythology)- Written by the poet Hesiod, one of the earliest known versions of the Pandora myth features Pandora opening not a box but a what?

A- Tomb B- Bag
C- Book D- Jar

Alex thinks it’s tomb but decides to walk with $50,000
Spoiler
D- Jar
Alex moves into fifth place in the Tournament of Ten.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 09/25/09 Alex Ortiz

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:41 am

$12.5K: I'm between generation and gateway. ATA.

$50K: Dwight and Howard just don't sound right for names of birds. DD on Rodney and Martin.

I'm playing for $250K with ATE and PAF remaining.

Jeemie

#3 Post by Jeemie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:59 am

ATA or ATE (hopefully not both!) on the $12.5K (although knowing that a 4G network exists makes me wonder if I would go with "Generation" without a LL), but no problems with the rest.

Nice to have a PAF for >$250K!!
1979 City of Champions 2009

tanstaafl2

#4 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:51 am

Other than a brief pause at the "noid" this was a pretty smooth stack for me until the 100K. With all lifelines available hopefully would have been able to get the 100K and at least see the 250K althouh not sure how easy this would be to google.

The cast member really burned through lifelines with abandon to scramble to the 25K mark on what didn't seem to be particularly hard Q's. Maybe I was just fortunate to have them be ones I knew as I certainly have had plenty of trouble in the middle tier in other stacks.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:01 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:With all lifelines available hopefully would have been able to get the 100K and at least see the 250K althouh not sure how easy this would be to google.
Entering pandora's box originally brings up jar in clear context in the first hit. Entering pandora's box original brings it up in the second hit.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:50 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Alex Ortiz
Stamford, CT
Aspiring Veterinarian

Alex is an aspiring vet from Stamford, CT. Alex just celebrated her birthday with her lifeline friends. They brought her trivia cards, and they also played the online game. Alex didn’t do so well. Meredith says she has a belated present of $1 million for her. All she has to do is answer 15 questions to get it.
Haven't we had two aspiring vets as BBs (vettech and vetgirl - assuming they aren't one and the same)?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$7500 (Headlines)- On July 1, 2009, the Duluth News tribune ran what two-word headline about Minnesota’s new U.S. Senator?

A- Sorry: Sanford B- Finally: Franken
C- Uh-oh: Udall D- Sneaky; Specter

At 19 seconds, Alex uses her ATA lifeline

ATA Results: A- 7%, B- 82%, C- 6%, D- 5%
Spoiler
B- Finally: Franken (17)
How quickly they forget!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$12,500 (Technology Terms)- In the wireless phone abbreviation “3G”, the “G” stands for what?

A- Global B- Generation
C- Gateway D- Guidance

At 24 seconds, Alex uses her ATE lifeline. The expert is still Ashleigh Banfield (who has been great).

Ashleigh’s guess is
Spoiler
“Generation”
. She’s somewhat confident (saying her husband explained this to her, but it “went in one ear and out the other”)
Spoiler
B- Generation (18)
Credit where credit is due - Ashleigh has been pretty good.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 (British Monarchs)- In the name of Henry VIII’s first wife, Catherine of Aragon, Aragon refers to a region in what country?

A- Spain B- Belgium
C- Netherlands D- Denmark

Alex “doesn’t know why she knows this”, but to be safe, calls for her DD lifeline at 18 seconds.

Alex’ first guess is
Spoiler
A- Spain
Spoiler
A- Spain (18)
Shoulda gone with your gut, Alex.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000 (Mythology)- Written by the poet Hesiod, one of the earliest known versions of the Pandora myth features Pandora opening not a box but a what?

A- Tomb B- Bag
C- Book D- Jar

Alex thinks it’s tomb but decides to walk with $50,000
Spoiler
D- Jar
Mythology is one of my better subjects but I didn't know this. I'd have gone with the DD and chosen C and D as my choices.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."