PT-WWTBAM Transcript 8/12/09 - Anthony Sloan (Carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

PT-WWTBAM Transcript 8/12/09 - Anthony Sloan (Carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:15 am

Anthony Sloan
Washington, DC
Stay-at-home Dad

Anthony started yesterday's show on just 2 hours sleep. He got 8-hours worth after that taping, and is ready to go tonight. He's also wearing his Superman shorts (and Regis claims he is, too). Anthony requests a chest bump, after which Regis stumbles getting into his seat again, nearly falling under his monitor (and pulling his groin).

Anthony is out of lifelines, and going for $25,000. His category tree:

Quite Inventive
True Story
Astro-natomy
Hot Hand
Giant Robots
Making Money
(Head Cheeses)
(Food Fight)
(LOL With LL)
(Edgar Allan Poe)
(TV Spoofs)
(The Great Outdoors)
(Dome Home)
(Call Me Al)
(How Sweet It Is!)

$25,000 (Making Money): According to 2009 federal guidelines, a family of four in the contiguous U.S. must earn at least what to be above the poverty line?
A. $12,051 B. $22,051
C. $32,051 D. $42,051

Anthony guesses, and gets it right.
Spoiler
B. $22,051 (7)
$50,000 (Giant Robots): In the 2009 blockbuster "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," which of these characters is an evil Decepticon and not a heroic Autobot?
A. Mudflap B. Bumblebee
C. Starscream D. Sideswipe
Spoiler
Regis and Anthony waste a few seconds commenting on whether he's seen the movie (he has), and Anthony wastes a few more being dramatic about his answer.

C. Starscream (21)
COMMERCIAL BREAK

Regis says that he's holding his breath every time Anthony's answering a question, since he has no lifelines left and Regis wants him to leave with "big bucks." With the money, Anthony wants to take his wife on a proper honeymoon, since the first time they just went for some crabs and drank some wine, then they both went back to work. They did do a renewal in Vegas with Elvis and a rabbi.

$100,000 (Hot Hand): What state has voted for the winning candidate in 24 of the last 25 presidential elections, the best percentage in the U.S.?
A. Colorado B. Nevada
C. Ohio D. Missouri

Anthony asks if he's "at [$25,000] now" and Regis corrects him and says he's at $50K, going for $100K, and he'll leave with $25K if he guesses wrong. Anthony says he was "doing the old math" and Regis reminds him that he has only 13 seconds left. Anthony guesses (
Spoiler
D
) incorrectly, and leaves with $25,000.
Spoiler
B. Nevada (10) (Regis explains that Nevada voted for Gerald Ford over Jimmy Carter in 1976, the only time the people in that state didn't vote for the winner.)

NellyLunatic1980

Re: PT-WWTBAM Transcript 8/12/09 - Anthony Sloan (Carryover)

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:49 am

$50K: I never saw this movie. I tried to think back to the old "Transformers" cartoon that I used to watch when I was a kid, but nothing came to me. That was so long ago. ATA.

$100K: I would've been out on this question. Before the choices came up, I thought it was either Kentucky or Missouri. Since Missouri showed up, I would've picked it.

Jeemie

#3 Post by Jeemie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:16 am

Knew all these three- they had a story about Nevada picking 24 of 25 right in the papers on the day after Election Day.

Actually, I "logicked" the poverty line question. $22,051 seemed "just right".
1979 City of Champions 2009

hbomb1947

#4 Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:16 am

Jeemie wrote:Knew all these three- they had a story about Nevada picking 24 of 25 right in the papers on the day after Election Day.

Actually, I "logicked" the poverty line question. $22,051 seemed "just right".
Agreed on the poverty line question. The Presidential one was a little nasty; if my research is correct, Ohio and Missouri -- both of which are well-known as "bellwether" states -- have each picked the winner in 23 out of the last 25 elections (with Missouri having been 23 out of 24 before going for McCain in 2008). Not sure what I would have done on this question, as I was rushing through this episode on hulu this morning, but Nevada was not my first choice. Given the distractors, I don't know if ABC employee / ATE person Cokie Roberts would have known this or not, just because she's a "news" person.

hanzz

#5 Post by hanzz » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:37 pm

I would have DD'd with Missouri and Nevada. I knew Ohio was just there to be a big distractor.

Maybe because I saw the first movie, but for those that didn't (or that don't know anything about Transformers), doesn't the name "Starscream" just "look" more menacing than the other three?
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:42 pm

hanzz wrote:Maybe because I saw the first movie, but for those that didn't (or that don't know anything about Transformers), doesn't the name "Starscream" just "look" more menacing than the other three?
That logic at this level, like your logic on the Moroccan food question, will make far more losers than winners...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Snaxx

#7 Post by Snaxx » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:49 pm

I was glad he beat the one-and-done predictions. He proved to be a risk-taker; perhaps too much of a risk-taker if it was a blind guess on Ohio.

---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:54 am

25K: I kinda hoped it was 22K & not 12K, but wasn't sure enough; double dip.

50K: No hope in Hell, & would be wishing I still had my ATA. PAF

100K: Pretty sure it was Ohio. ATE

If expert said "Ohio" I'd have gone with them & gone down. But if expert is a political type (checked; its Cokie Roberts, definitely the right kind of expert to ask, but who gave me heart failure with her dialog with the last contestant; "I'm not supposed to give you the answer, am I?"; didn't they read her the rules, or was she just being mean!, something she's never struck me as), I hope they'd have known right answer.