My mom

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

My mom

#1 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:47 am

My mom retired from her job as a liquidator in Southern California and moved to a small town in Oregon, where she owns property. After she fixed up her house, she was bored, so she joined a group of women with military families. (My mom was a Navy brat.)

They are trying to make 2000 stockings for Christmas for the soldiers in IRAQ. She's personally made 200 so far. They are also trying to get donations from local merchants and business to fill the stockings and pay for postage.

I am proud of her. :)

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:54 am

I am proud of her as well.

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:56 am

and grateful.

christie1111
11:11

PSM

#4 Post by christie1111 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:41 am

Does she need help making stockings?

I might have a 'little' bit of christmas fabric

:oops:
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: PSM

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:48 am

christie1111 wrote:
I might have a 'little' bit of christmas fabric
I think that she has enough.

My mom is a fabric hoarder, so she has a large supply :)
Plus my uncle's girlfriend works in a fabric store.

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:09 pm

I don't know a LOT of soldiers, but I know a few, and I can tell you a gift box like this would make them extremely happy, although they might never admit it. Every guy over there (and probably girl, too, although I have no referent) misses his Mom, even if she's been gone for years.

Handmade Christmas stockings, with or without stuffing, are perfect!

Tell her thanks from the midsection of the country, too!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:29 pm

Awesome. This country has some terrific peeps, even though we don't hear nearly enough about them.

My good news: just got word my nephews biopsy came back clean. His osteosarcoma is NOT back. Wahooo! :lol:

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#8 Post by AnnieCamaro » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:47 pm

tlynn78 wrote:Awesome. This country has some terrific peeps, even though we don't hear nearly enough about them.

My good news: just got word my nephews biopsy came back clean. His osteosarcoma is NOT back. Wahooo! :lol:

t.
I'm very happy about your nephew. I thought thoughts to St. Guinefort and Tigger about him.
Sou iu koto de.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#9 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:29 pm

Pretty cool, PSM, pretty cool.

My stepson is heading back to the Middle East. In training right now. Will likely be in Afghanistan before the year's up. I can tell you with absolute certainty that being thought of like this makes all the difference in the world to their spirits.

Bravo to Mom!
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:55 pm

My stepson is heading back to the Middle East. In training right now. Will likely be in Afghanistan before the year's up. I can tell you with absolute certainty that being thought of like this makes all the difference in the world to their spirits.
I hope he's got room to pack all the good wishes and prayer he'll be taking along with him.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#11 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:59 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
I hope he's got room to pack all the good wishes and prayer he'll be taking along with him.

t.
Thanks, t--I'll make sure he does!
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

mellytu74

#12 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:43 pm

PSM --

A lovely act.

Right now, I know three kids over there.

That will double by year's end, when my cousin Jimmy's son, my friend Theresa's son-in-law and godson will all head over there.

It will be the second go-round for the SiL and the third for the other two.

In addition, my friend Kathi works closely with the K-9 corps currently in Afghanistan, so I hear a lot of stories from her.

I know all those kids are grateful for everyone's prayers and good thoughts.

mrkelley23

#13 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:53 pm

mellytu74 wrote:PSM --

In addition, my friend Kathi works closely with the K-9 corps currently in Afghanistan, so I hear a lot of stories from her.

I know all those kids are grateful for everyone's prayers and good thoughts.
Oh! That reminds me!

One of my physics kids who also happens to be in our chapter of JROTC was perusing a brochure in class the other day (when she really shouldn't have been, but I'm an understanding type.

It was about getting admitted to the Army Veterinary Corps. I would have never thought the Army would even have such a branch, because I (along with many of my countrymen, I'm sure) are ignorant of our canine friends' contributions to our national defense.

I naturally encouraged her to go for it. I'll keep you posted.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:02 pm

I would imagine that they have a similar to for vets as they do for doctors. The education for a physician is paid for by the military, but there is a minimum commitment involved by the person who takes advantage of this offer.

One of Jeff's friends is a Naval doctor and while he was doing a Tox Fellowship, the Navy paid for him to do the Fellowship and one of the stipulations was that the Fellowship couldn't pay him to do the job.