Since we are making confessions

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Evil Squirrel
Merry Man

Re: Since we are making confessions

#26 Post by Evil Squirrel » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:11 am

minimetoo26 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Is there an animal shelter nearby that Rain Man could volunteer at?
They need Cat Petters and Cage Cleaners at the nearby PetSmart, but you have to be 18 or have adult supervision. The private school requires community service, so I asked if Mini-me and Stephen could volunteer there if I came with them, but the lady in charge wasn't there. I'm going to call her when we get back from WDW, and I think I'll make the two who need service hours clean the cages while Rain Man and I do the petting!

Why doesn't anybody hire any Squirrel Petters?
Squirrels are the architects of forests, the planters of trees, nature's own acrobats and show a zest for life that can inspire us. Every day should be National Squirrel Appreciation Day!

--squirrelmama (10/3/07)

Many of these (squirrel) migrations were probably caused by food shortages as well as habitat overcrowding. We solved that for them. We not only reduced their habitat, we reduced the whole species by about 90%. The least we can do now is share a little birdseed with them.

--Richard E. Mallery

2008 Squirrel of the Year Award winner

MarleysGh0st

#27 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:12 am

:twisted:

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#28 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:12 am

Evil Squirrel wrote:
minimetoo26 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Is there an animal shelter nearby that Rain Man could volunteer at?
They need Cat Petters and Cage Cleaners at the nearby PetSmart, but you have to be 18 or have adult supervision. The private school requires community service, so I asked if Mini-me and Stephen could volunteer there if I came with them, but the lady in charge wasn't there. I'm going to call her when we get back from WDW, and I think I'll make the two who need service hours clean the cages while Rain Man and I do the petting!

Why doesn't anybody hire any Squirrel Petters?
Because squirrels need scritches, silly!
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

tlynn78

#29 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:28 am

Last night I learned it's not a good idea to 'babysit' parakeets when you have two cats. )#*%(#!

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#30 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:33 am

tlynn78 wrote:Last night I learned it's not a good idea to 'babysit' parakeets when you have two cats. )#*%(#!

t.
Ack! Are there still the same number of parakeets?

Look on the bright side, maybe you saved on your cat food bill. :twisted:
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

tlynn78

#31 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:40 am

Still two parakeets, and two cats. So far. Just feathers, broken vase pieces, other various scattered objects that used to be on tabletops, dressertops, etc. Clearly, calicos are far more acrobatic than I knew, or have witnessed. My bedroom (to where one of the 'keets had fled) looked like it had been ransacked. The cats had been confining thenselves to the main floor, and the 'keets were in the basement in a cage. Apparently, the cats were lured by twitterings, knocked the cage over, popping the lid (roof?) off the cage and freeing the birds to run (fly) amok. Arrangements have been altered. considerably. I learn. slowly, but I learn.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

MarleysGh0st

#32 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:08 am

tlynn78 wrote:Clearly, calicos are far more acrobatic than I knew, or have witnessed.
You never gave them the right incentive, before! :twisted:

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#33 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:33 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Still two parakeets, and two cats. So far. Just feathers, broken vase pieces, other various scattered objects that used to be on tabletops, dressertops, etc. Clearly, calicos are far more acrobatic than I knew, or have witnessed. My bedroom (to where one of the 'keets had fled) looked like it had been ransacked. The cats had been confining thenselves to the main floor, and the 'keets were in the basement in a cage. Apparently, the cats were lured by twitterings, knocked the cage over, popping the lid (roof?) off the cage and freeing the birds to run (fly) amok. Arrangements have been altered. considerably. I learn. slowly, but I learn.

t.
Those are two lucky birds! Bigfoot would have had Parakeet Dinner, Yeti's chances were probably about 75% of Bigfoot's, Clayton's about 50%.

It's always the beautiful, sweet little things you gotta watch out for. Except for Spilly.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

earendel

#34 Post by earendel » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:07 pm

tlynn78 wrote:

t.
All I can think of is, "I tot I taw a puddy tat! ... I did, I did, I did taw a puddy tat!"
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

themanintheseersuckersuit

#35 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:17 pm

I got rickrolled by BiT
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Winnamill

#36 Post by Winnamill » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:15 pm

I submitted the initial application for "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader".

Does anyone know when they actually tape the show? The website said it is not currently taping, but I know new shows are supposed to be out in a couple of weeks.

MarleysGh0st

#37 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:17 pm

Winnamill wrote:I submitted the initial application for "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader".

Does anyone know when they actually tape the show? The website said it is not currently taping, but I know new shows are supposed to be out in a couple of weeks.
I don't know.

Do you still watch that show?

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#38 Post by Rexer25 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:26 am

earendel wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

t.
All I can think of is, "I tot I taw a puddy tat! ... I did, I did, I did taw a puddy tat!"
Since ear steered the conversation this way, does anyone know Tweety's gender? For certain? Inquiring 9 and 10 year old minds want to know.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

MarleysGh0st

#39 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:35 am

Rexer25 wrote:Since ear steered the conversation this way, does anyone know Tweety's gender? For certain? Inquiring 9 and 10 year old minds want to know.
Well, if you can believe Wikipedia:
Despite the perceptions that people may hold, owing to the long lashes and high pitched voice of Tweety, Tweety is male. This was established several times in the series "Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries". On the other hand, his species is ambiguous; although originally and often portrayed as a young canary, he is also frequently called a rare and valuable "tweety bird" as a plot device, and once called "the only living specimen". Nevertheless, the title song directly states that the bird is a canary. His shape more closely suggests that of a baby bird, which in fact is what he was during his early appearances. The yellow feathers were added but otherwise he retained the baby-bird shape.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweety

Winnamill

#40 Post by Winnamill » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:47 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Winnamill wrote:I submitted the initial application for "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader".

I don't know.

Do you still watch that show?
I must confess that I do. I actually like Jeff Foxworthy as a host, which makes it more appealing to me than say Wheel of Fortune. And considering that my current retirement plan is "work until I keel over", :shock: I figure doing okay on 5th Grader might at least start a nest egg so keeling over is less of a requirement. Don't think I would make it onto Jeopardy, and if I did, the clicker thing would NOT be my friend.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#41 Post by frogman042 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:36 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:Since ear steered the conversation this way, does anyone know Tweety's gender? For certain? Inquiring 9 and 10 year old minds want to know.
Despite the perceptions that people may hold, owing to the long lashes and high pitched voice of Tweety, Tweety is male. This was established several times in the series "Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries". On the other hand, his species is ambiguous; although originally and often portrayed as a young canary, he is also frequently called a rare and valuable "tweety bird" as a plot device, and once called "the only living specimen". Nevertheless, the title song directly states that the bird is a canary. His shape more closely suggests that of a baby bird, which in fact is what he was during his early appearances. The yellow feathers were added but otherwise he retained the baby-bird shape.
Years and years and years ago we had a plastic Tweety whose head, arms and tail all rotated 360 degrees if you rotated the arms and head 180 degrees, Tweety clearly was a male --- and rotating the tail as well, a very excited one at that.

#42 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:39 pm

frogman042 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Years and years and years ago we had a plastic Tweety whose head, arms and tail all rotated 360 degrees if you rotated the arms and head 180 degrees, Tweety clearly was a male --- and rotating the tail as well, a very excited one at that.
That's just twisted
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

#43 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:27 pm

I was slow to catch on the the meaning of Ear's post on the sabertooth fossils.
Suitguy is not bitter.

Ritterskoop

#44 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:43 pm

I am bummed I probably will not see the opening few minutes of tonight's season-opening NCIS.

Right off the bat, Jackson Gibbs is going medieval on that drug cartel bitch, I think. You cannot have too much Ralph Waite.

And there is also Glee at the same time, but that is why somebody invented recording devices. I am scheduled to do 5 miles tonight after class, and then my reward is one of these shows. The House episode from last night can wait.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

#45 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:14 am

We are not changing the motto of the University of South Carolina from Emollit mores nec sinit esse feros To Sic transit gloria mundi despite Saturday's results.
Suitguy is not bitter.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#46 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:43 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:We are not changing the motto of the University of South Carolina from Emollit mores nec sinit esse feros To Sic transit gloria mundi despite Saturday's results.

College football is tough. At least the other USC won.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Bob Juch

#47 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:We are not changing the motto of the University of South Carolina from Emollit mores nec sinit esse feros To Sic transit gloria mundi despite Saturday's results.
Ovid didn't know beans about football.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#48 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:01 am

Clock management does not seem to be very high on the list of priorities for SEC coaches.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#49 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:38 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:

Found it!

I predict that 8 gazillion people will tell me in the next 10 minutes that this is the wrong one.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#50 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:19 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

Found it!

I predict that 8 gazillion people will tell me in the next 10 minutes that this is the wrong one.
This is the right thread. You win 8 gazillion people.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.