Perry Mason reboot

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

Perry Mason reboot

#1 Post by earendel » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:44 pm

HBO has a "limited series" featuring an "origin story" for Perry Mason. Now up front let me confess that I'm a huge fan of Erle Stanley Gardner's books - my mother had a complete collection that unfortunately was destroyed in our house fire. I also enjoy the Raymond Burr TV shows and TV movies. That said, I'm not a fan of what HBO has done to the eminent attorney. First off, he's a private detective working for an attorney (played by John Lithgow), an alcoholic and apparently suffering from "shell shock" from his service in WWI. He makes a living following cheating spouses and taking photographs. Paul Drake is a closeted gay African-American police officer. I'm going to watch the next episode or two, to see if it grows on me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tlynn78

Re: Perry Mason reboot

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:25 pm

Could be interesting..
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:17 pm

The first episode was enough for me. There's nothing in common with the Perry Mason I knew other than the name. I don't like the setting either. It would have been better to take place in post-WW2 time.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:08 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:17 pm
The first episode was enough for me. There's nothing in common with the Perry Mason I knew other than the name. I don't like the setting either. It would have been better to take place in post-WW2 time.
The early Perry Mason books were written during this time period, but Perry was already pretty much the same character as he was later (he was more given to playing fast and loose with the legal rules however). Why not simply create a new character or do a new version of Sam Spade or Philip Marlowe?

The audience who most enjoys the Raymond Burr TV series will probably not enjoy the new storylines. The only thing I really liked about this version was the fact that they could incorporate Angels Flight into the storyline. (They did that for one season of Bosch.) Any TV show or movie that uses Angels Flight or the Bradbury building can't be all bad.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:11 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:25 pm
Could be interesting..
T-girl:

If you're interested in this type of show, I recently read a book you might be interested in. It's called "Montana Noir" and it's part of an over-100-volume series of various city and state "noir" books from the same publisher. This one is a collection of short stories set in Montana. Despite the title, most of them are more crime stories in general than true noirs, but they all seemed to me to give readers a feel for the setting. They are all written by authors who are either from Montana or spent a lot of time there. The best known of them are James Grady (Six Days of the Condor) and Thomas McGuane (92 in the Shade). The Kindle version retails for $9.99 but it regularly goes on sale for a lot less if you keep your eyes open (check on Fridays). Here's a link to the book on Amazon (my review is the top one on the sales page):

https://www.amazon.com/Montana-Noir-Aka ... op?ie=UTF8

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:38 pm

The second episode is a definite improvement on the first since the characters fit into their roles better and the story is taking the shape of a traditional Mason story with a few changes in personnel. Matthew Rhys's character is more like Paul Drake and John Lithgow is more like the traditional Perry Mason. If they had just called the characters by entirely different names and given the show a generic title like 1932 LA Detective, it would probably go over better.

One big difference between this series and traditional Mason stories is that the identity of the killer was revealed at the end of the first episode, although I've got a feeling that there will eventually be more people involved.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:32 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:38 pm
The second episode is a definite improvement on the first since the characters fit into their roles better and the story is taking the shape of a traditional Mason story with a few changes in personnel. Matthew Rhys's character is more like Paul Drake and John Lithgow is more like the traditional Perry Mason. If they had just called the characters by entirely different names and given the show a generic title like 1932 LA Detective, it would probably go over better.

One big difference between this series and traditional Mason stories is that the identity of the killer was revealed at the end of the first episode, although I've got a feeling that there will eventually be more people involved.
Ah, okay, I'll give it one more shot.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:04 am

I think that by the end of this miniseries, things will look pretty much like they do in the early Mason books.

-- Perry Mason will take the bar and join John Lithgow's firm (I don't know if you could just read for the bar back in the 1930s or not). Lithgow may retire (or not be around for the end of the series).

-- Paul Drake will quit the LAPD and become a full-time PI working for Perry.

-- The guy who is currently Perry's assistant (Shea Whigham) won't be around by the end of the series.

-- Della will still be Della.

-- The current District Attorney will quit (or worse) and be replaced by his hard-working assistant Hamilton Burger.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:31 am

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:04 am
I think that by the end of this miniseries, things will look pretty much like they do in the early Mason books.

-- Perry Mason will take the bar and join John Lithgow's firm (I don't know if you could just read for the bar back in the 1930s or not). Lithgow may retire (or not be around for the end of the series).

-- The guy who is currently Perry's assistant (Shea Whigham) won't be around by the end of the series.

-- The current District Attorney will quit (or worse) and be replaced by his hard-working assistant Hamilton Burger.
That's exactly how I'd do it if I wanted to conform to the canon.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:44 pm

I just saw that season one has only eight episodes so that all can't happen this season.

SpacemanSpiff

#11 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:12 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:44 pm

I just saw that season one has only eight episodes so that all can't happen this season.
Well, you have to have room for the sequel to the prequel.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:43 pm

They certainly changed directions on this week's show. I have to give myself a pat on the back.

It's getting better (and much kinkier) week after week.

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:25 pm

Spoiler
-- Perry Mason will take the bar and join John Lithgow's firm (I don't know if you could just read for the bar back in the 1930s or not). Lithgow may retire (or not be around for the end of the series). ---CHECK

-- Della will still be Della. --- CHECK

-- The current District Attorney will quit (or worse) and be replaced by his hard-working assistant Hamilton Burger. --- HALF - CHECK

Two and a half out of five with three episodes to go

Vandal
Director of Promos

#14 Post by Vandal » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:22 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:38 pm

Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:25 pm

Spoiler
-- Perry Mason will take the bar and join John Lithgow's firm (I don't know if you could just read for the bar back in the 1930s or not). Lithgow may retire (or not be around for the end of the series). ---CHECK

-- Della will still be Della. --- CHECK

-- The current District Attorney will quit (or worse) and be replaced by his hard-working assistant Hamilton Burger. --- HALF - CHECK

Two and a half out of five with three episodes to go
So you're proud of yourself that you "figured out" the direction a prequel would take? Genius!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:54 pm

Perry Mason has just been renewed for a second season by HBO.

As I predicted.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:58 am

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:54 pm
Perry Mason has just been renewed for a second season by HBO.

As I predicted.
Not in this thread, you didn't.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx