Transcript 6/4/2020 - Anderson Cooper (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

Transcript 6/4/2020 - Anderson Cooper (carryover)

#1 Post by earendel » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Anderson Cooper

Anderson is playing for Spike's Canine Fund, an organization providing safety vests for police dogs. His +1 is Andy Cohen. Anderson thought Andy would know more than he did about pop culture, such as "real housewives", "Donna Summer", or "Cher".

$8000: In the sport of cricket, the player who delivers the ball to the batsman is called a what?
A - coaster
B - skipper
C - bowler
D - tumbler

Anderson guesses it's "bowler" and asks Andy if he agrees.
Spoiler
Answer: C (bowler)
$16,000: On the 2020 season of "the Bachelor", 28-year-old Peter Weber searched for the love of his life while taking a break from his job as a what?
A - pharmaceutical sales rep
B - sports journalist
C - commercial pilot
D - restaurant manager

Anderson implores Andy to answer this. Andy says that the most common profession on "The Bachelor" is "A" but the answer is "C".
Spoiler
Answer: C (commercial pilot)
$32,000: At Art Basel in 2019, a performance artist famously ate what food item that had been duct-taped to a gallery wall as an exhibit?
A - Big Mac
B - turkey leg
C - banana
D - Double Stuf Oreo

Anderson nods and says "got it" before the answers are revealed. He didn't know the artist's name and
Spoiler
Answer: C (banana)
Anderson says he wants to keep Jimmy and dump Andy because his 'one useful thing" is gone. Andy jokes that he got Anderson through New Year's Eve when he was drunk. Jimmy says he can trade another lifeline. He decides to keep the three lifelines and not trade Andy.

$64,000: "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains" is the opening from what "zombified" novel?
A - The Grapes of Wrath
B - The Sun Also Rises
C - Pride and Prejudice
D - A Tale of Two Cities

Anderson says it isn't A.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Pride and Prejudice)
commercial break

$125,000: In 1997, Nelson Mandela surprisingly said, "It's one of the greatest moments of my life" after meeting who?
A - Rage Against the Machine
B - the cast of "Party of Five"
C - the Spice Girls
D - IBM's supercomputer Deep Blue

Anderson says he thinks he's been given the hardest questions of any celebrity. He also says he's a huge fan of "Party of Five" but he knows what the answer is.
Spoiler
Answer: C (the Spice Girls)
$250,000: In the movie "Taxi Driver," Robert De Niro answers his famous question "You talkin' to me?" with what lesser-known reply?
A - What are you, deaf?
B - You heard me, tough guy.
C - Well, I'm the only one here.
D - I'd watch that tone.

Anderson is convinced that it's "C", but he thinks it might be "B", and if he uses the 50:50 those are the two it will leave.
Spoiler
Ask the Host/+1 results: Jimmy reminds Anderson that he doesn't know the answer but says he thinks it's C.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Well, I'm the only one here.)
$500,000: What country is called "Druk Yul" in its native language, meaning "Land of the Thunder Dragon"?
A - Bangladesh
B - Bhutan
C - Myanmar
D - Nepal

Anderson thinks that "thunder dragon" is a reference to mountains, so it may be B or D. Anderson has been to Myanmar several times and Bhutan once. He decides to use his 50:50.
Spoiler
"50:50 results": A and B
That makes Anderson more confident that it's "B". He says that Bangladesh is low-lying and subject to flooding so it doesn't make sense that that's the answer.
Spoiler
Answer: B (Bhutan)
commercial break

Jimmy asks who Anderson's phone-a-friend is, and he says it's Kelly Ripa.

$1,000,000: When scientists tested it with an electroencephalogram, which of these food items produced readings similar to a human brain?
A - Wint-O-Green Life Saver
B - SPAM
C - lime Jell-O
D - Jet-Puffed Marshmallow

Anderson recalled reading about this 20 years ago, but he doesn't remember the answer. He thinks it might be either "B" or "C" and doesn't believe it's "D". "SPAM" could be an ironic thing thrown in by the question-writers. He isn't even sure what an electroencephalogram is. He decides to use his last lifeline.
Spoiler
Phone a Friend results: When Jimmy says that Anderson is calling for the million-dollar question, Kelly says, "Why couldn't you have called Malcolm Gladwell?" Anderson reads the questions and answers including the letters. He repeats it, giving Kelly no time to answer.
Anderson wants to say "B" but he doesn't want to drop back to $32,000. Since it's for charity he won't take the risk. He walks away.
Spoiler
Answer: C (lime Jell-O
commercial break
Last edited by earendel on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 6/4/2020 - Anderson Cooper (carryover)

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:39 pm

$1,000,000: When scientists tested it with an electroencephalogram, which of these food items produced readings similar to a human brain?
B - SPAM
C - lime Jell-O

Anderson recalled reading about this 20 years ago, but he doesn't remember the answer. He thinks it might be either "B" or "C" and doesn't believe it's "D". "SPAM" could be an ironic thing thrown in by the question-writers. He isn't even sure what an electroencephalogram is. He decides to use his last lifeline.
Spoiler
Phone a Friend results: When Jimmy says that Anderson is calling for the million-dollar question, Kelly says, "Why couldn't you have called Malcolm Gladwell?" Anderson reads the questions and answers including the letters. He repeats it, giving Kelly no time to answer.
Anderson wants to say "B" but he doesn't want to drop back to $32,000. Since it's for charity he won't take the risk. He walks away.
Spoiler
I was rather skeptical of this claim and went looking for a citation. I found this old discussion on The Straight Dope https://www.straightdope.com/columns/re ... me-jell-o/
The Jell-O brainwave researcher was neurologist Adrian Upton, who conducted pioneering work on the electroencephalography of gelatin desserts starting in the 1960s. Upton wasn’t trying to be a wise guy — he wanted to make a serious point about brain death, which became a matter of critical importance once life-support equipment made it possible to keep a body functioning even though its owner had checked out.
So, the claim isn't that Jell-O produces the same pattern as a healthy brain wave, it's that it can passively pick up electromagnetic noise in the same way a brain-dead brain can.

Oh, and why lime?
He connected EEG leads to a dome of Jell-O, picking lime because he “thought it would be more photogenic.”
:lol:

earendel

Re: Transcript 6/4/2020 - Anderson Cooper (carryover)

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:50 pm

earendel wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:23 pm
Anderson Cooper
earendel wrote:
$16,000: On the 2020 season of "the Bachelor", 28-year-old Peter Weber searched for the love of his life while taking a break from his job as a what?
A - pharmaceutical sales rep
B - sports journalist
C - commercial pilot
D - restaurant manager

Anderson implores Andy to answer this. Andy says that the most common profession on "The Bachelor" is "A" but the answer is "C".
Spoiler
Answer: C (commercial pilot)
I would have had no idea, but if I'm a celebrity with a talkative +1 we probably come up with the right answer. In "reality" I'd have to use a lifeline.
earendel wrote:
$250,000: In the movie "Taxi Driver," Robert De Niro answers his famous question "You talkin' to me?" with what lesser-known reply?
A - What are you, deaf?
B - You heard me, tough guy.
C - Well, I'm the only one here.
D - I'd watch that tone.

Anderson is convinced that it's "C", but he thinks it might be "B", and if he uses the 50:50 those are the two it will leave.
Spoiler
Ask the Host/+1 results: Jimmy reminds Anderson that he doesn't know the answer but says he thinks it's C.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Well, I'm the only one here.)
I got this one thanks to "Back to the Future III".
earendel wrote:
B - SPAM
C - lime Jell-O

Spoiler
Spoiler
I would have guessed the right answer, although I'd have used my remaining lifelines just for confirmation.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."