"Quiz" on AMC (On topic)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

"Quiz" on AMC (On topic)

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:59 am

AMC is launching today a limited series called Quiz about the Charles Ingram (*cough*) scandal. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

Re: "Quiz" on AMC (On topic)

#2 Post by earendel » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:55 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:59 am
AMC is launching today a limited series called Quiz about the Charles Ingram (*cough*) scandal. --Bob
I watched the first episode and it's not bad. There are some moments that made me chuckle - a reference to an "underground community" that shared answers made me think of the old Bored and the posting of call-in questions and answers. There was also mention of a "boiler room" where a group of people were gathered to be a contestant's phone-a-friend. I found it interesting that Ingram's brother-in-law had managed to get into the ROF four times before making it to the Hot Seat, and that Charles originally didn't want to go on the show, but his wife got him involved.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:09 am

earendel wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:55 am
There was also mention of a "boiler room" where a group of people were gathered to be a contestant's phone-a-friend.
I'm not sure when that sequence was supposed to be set. Charles Ingram appeared on the show in September 2001, so the boiler room would have been before that. But I would think that the supposed smartest trivia experts in England would have heard of Google. Most people who appeared on the American version of Millionaire in that time frame had a Google PAF. (Not that it did me much good.)

They also made it appear that the brother-in-law was some kind of wizard for coming up with his own version of the fastest finger box. I practiced using a piece of paper with penciled in boxes for months before I flew into New York (and the entire time I was sitting in the chair during orientation I kept hitting the buttons on the box in various sequences.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:40 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:09 am
earendel wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:55 am
There was also mention of a "boiler room" where a group of people were gathered to be a contestant's phone-a-friend.
I'm not sure when that sequence was supposed to be set. Charles Ingram appeared on the show in September 2001, so the boiler room would have been before that. But I would think that the supposed smartest trivia experts in England would have heard of Google. Most people who appeared on the American version of Millionaire in that time frame had a Google PAF. (Not that it did me much good.)

They also made it appear that the brother-in-law was some kind of wizard for coming up with his own version of the fastest finger box. I practiced using a piece of paper with penciled in boxes for months before I flew into New York (and the entire time I was sitting in the chair during orientation I kept hitting the buttons on the box in various sequences.
Before I flew to Orlando exactly 14 years ago to join some BBs after we heard PlayIt! was going to close, I practiced the FF using paper as well. It paid off and I won the FF with a less than four seconds time.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:46 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:09 am
The boiler room was a group of friends, hopefully with various and complementary trivia wheelhouses. This was a pre-Google option that was used by many American contestants, too, early on.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:32 pm

Two observations from tonight's second show:

(1) Security at those tapings was woefully pathetic.

(2) Ingram got the easiest $1M question in the history of $1M questions.

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Here is a recording of Ingram's actual performance with titles supplied by the official Millionaire YouTube Channel, who posted this:

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:54 pm

I watched the final episode and the defense attorney (barrister?) made a plausible case that the coughing was incidental, not deliberate and that the sound engineer and the stage manager were looking for a way to bolster their suspicion that the Ingrams were cheating.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."