Incompetence may have spread the virus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Re: Incompetence may have spread the virus

#401 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:11 pm

Life also possesses a certainty of death.

Not counting "life everlasting." The atheists among us can deal with just the first sentence.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#402 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:33 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:11 pm
Life also possesses a certainty of death.
True, but very few people are interested in allowing someone else to hurry them to that destination. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#403 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:13 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:03 am
Just when I think I've heard everything from Dr. Trump:
Donald Trump 4/23/20 wrote:So I asked Bill a question some of you are thinking of if you're into that world, which I find to be pretty interesting. So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether its ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said, that hasn't been checked but you're gonna test it. And then I said, supposing it brought the light inside the body, which you can either do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're gonna test that too, sounds interesting. And I then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute, and is there a way you can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it'd be interesting to check that. So you're going to have to use medical doctors, but it sounds interesting to me, so we'll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it goes in one minute, that's pretty powerful.
There has been a significant increase in calls to poison control in the state of Illinois in the last two days, Illinois Public Health Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike said during a Saturday [4/25/20] afternoon press conference. Such calls included someone using a detergent based solution for a sinus rinse and another person gargling with a bleach and mouthwash mixture to kill germs, Ezike said. She urged people to not use cleaning chemicals to try and kill the virus.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#404 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:41 pm

"The most basic duty of government is to defend the lives of its own citizens. Any government that fails to do so is a government unworthy to lead."

Who said it, and what was the occasion?
Spoiler
Donny, on July 21, 2016, when he accepted the Republican nomination.
--Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#405 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:58 pm

The State of Florida has stopped releasing data showing the number of deaths from COVID-19. Before that happened, numbers released by local authorities were showing that the state was underreporting deaths from the disease. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#406 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:58 pm
The State of Florida has stopped releasing data showing the number of deaths from COVID-19. Before that happened, numbers released by local authorities were showing that the state was underreporting deaths from the disease. --Bob
Here in Georgia, they don't count COVID-19 cases unless that's listed on the death certificate as the official cause of death. What's interesting is that those who have claimed that the coronavirus is on the same level (or less) that the flu commonly throw out numbers like 40,000 people die of the flu every year. However, that number is an estimate based on the same sort of statistical analysis that's being done in New York and other states. The number of "official" deaths from the flu in 2018-19 was more like 7,000.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#407 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:02 pm

The Louisiana Legislature has voted to restrict access to mail-in ballots in the upcoming primary election. Irony alert: The Legislature adopted its plan in a by-mail vote. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#408 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:24 pm

To the surprise of no one, our governor is letting the shelter-in-place order expire tonight. Nursing homes and long term care facilities will remain under heavier restrictions until June 13. However, all those pesky restrictions on hair salons and restaurants (which still weren't enough to ensure safety) will expire on May 13, which should be right around the time that Georgia starts to see another spike in its caseload that the governor assures us won't be more than a "tick."

As of today, Georgia has over 26,000 confirmed cases and 1100 deaths despite rather restrictive criteria in terms of counting the number of deaths. Georgia also ranks 33rd in testing per capita, a figure that the governor says he is pleased with.

silverscreenselect

#409 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:26 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:58 pm
In related news, North Korea still reports a total of zero confirmed coronavirus cases ever.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#410 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:19 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:39 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:28 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:04 pm
Let's wait and see if that's true. Do you agree that everyone should be on the same page to protect against this? Or make it another antiDonny bullet point? You're such a caring person.
I have every confidence that Donny will respond to the coronavirus almost as well as George W. Bush responded to Hurricane Katrina, and that Mike Pence will handle this crisis almost as well as he managed AIDS cases in Indiana. The evidence is clear that we can't count on Donny's government either to give us accurate information or to respond with so much as a modicum of competence. We're on our own here. And yes, I'm pissed off about it. --Bob
You're an idiot.
Just wondering . . . . has Donny's handling of the federal response inspired confidence in you? Or are you willing to allow that my prediction here was dead on? --Bob

silverscreenselect

#411 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:19 am
Just wondering . . . . has Donny's handling of the federal response inspired confidence in you? Or are you willing to allow that my prediction here was dead on? --Bob
Please come back, Flock. We really want to hear from you about posts like these. It probably gets boring where you are now with everyone agreeing with you that the statistics are all a hoax perpetrated by China and Fake News and Democrats.

silverscreenselect

#412 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 01, 2020 11:20 am

Donald Trump 5/1/20 wrote:The Governor of Michigan should give a little, and put out the fire. These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal.
Here are the very good people who want their lives back again safely:

Lots of social distancing here. At least, some of them are wearing masks, although that bottom picture could easily have been taken at an ISIS recruitment center instead of the Michigan state capitol.

Bob Juch

#413 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Fri May 01, 2020 11:20 am
Donald Trump 5/1/20 wrote:The Governor of Michigan should give a little, and put out the fire. These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal.
Here are the very good people who want their lives back again safely:

Lots of social distancing here. At least, some of them are wearing masks, although that bottom picture could easily have been taken at an ISIS recruitment center instead of the Michigan state capitol.
I call them the Suicide Squad.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#414 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 01, 2020 1:07 pm

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:24 pm
To the surprise of no one, our governor is letting the shelter-in-place order expire tonight. Nursing homes and long term care facilities will remain under heavier restrictions until June 13. However, all those pesky restrictions on hair salons and restaurants (which still weren't enough to ensure safety) will expire on May 13, which should be right around the time that Georgia starts to see another spike in its caseload that the governor assures us won't be more than a "tick."

As of today, Georgia has over 26,000 confirmed cases and 1100 deaths despite rather restrictive criteria in terms of counting the number of deaths. Georgia also ranks 33rd in testing per capita, a figure that the governor says he is pleased with.
Over 1,000 new cases reported today in Georgia and still counting. Thanks Governor Kemp for your uptick.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#415 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:15 pm

Fri May 01, 2020 1:07 pm

Over 1,000 new cases reported today in Georgia and still counting. Thanks Governor Kemp for your uptick.
Am I correct that he's also preempted more restrictive regulations from cities and counties within Georgia? So there's literally nothing the government of the City of Atlanta can do to protect itself from Kemp's order? --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#416 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:18 pm

Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:19 am
Please come back, Flock. We really want to hear from you about posts like these. It probably gets boring where you are now with everyone agreeing with you that the statistics are all a hoax perpetrated by China and Fake News and Democrats.
So here's the thing. It's rude (at best) to call someone an idiot. But after doing so, when events prove that the "idiot" was right, at least have the grace to say so and apologize. Hell, the (Republican) Lieutenant Governor of Louisiana publicly apologized to the Mayor of New Orleans, saying, in so many words, "She was right and I was wrong." --Bob

silverscreenselect

#417 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 01, 2020 1:38 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:15 pm
Fri May 01, 2020 1:07 pm

Am I correct that he's also preempted more restrictive regulations from cities and counties within Georgia? So there's literally nothing the government of the City of Atlanta can do to protect itself from Kemp's order? --Bob
You are correct. His order supersedes any conflicting city or county orders and many municipalities around metro Atlanta aren't happy about that. To be fair, testing has ramped up substantially in the last week (although it's still nowhere near where it needs to be), so more tests will equal more confirmed cases. The real question is when and whether hospitalization rates are going up, and I can't find that data. To repeat, in Georgia, nail salons, tattoo parlors and the like opened last Friday. Dine-in restaurants opened Monday. Virtually every other business opens today, including all the shopping malls.

silverscreenselect

#418 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 01, 2020 9:13 pm

There are still a few restrictions in place in Georgia. Bars, night clubs, auditoriums, and stadiums won't be allowed to open for another two weeks. And most of the major malls will open early next week instead of today. However, I saw news reports around the smaller malls and there are a lot of people out, many without masks or maintaining distance from each other. And that on a day with over 1200 new cases. The picture here by the end of May could be very ugly. I finally found some Georgia hospitalization statistics:

March 26 — 79 new patients, 20% increase over previous 24-hour period
• March 27 — 93 new patients, 19.9% increase over previous 24-hour period
• March 28 — 51 new patients, 9% increase over previous 24-hour period
• March 29 — 49 new patients, 7.9% increase over previous 24-hour period
• March 30 — 41 new patients, 6.1% increase over previous 24-hour period
• March 31 — 111 new patients, 15.7% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 1 — 134 new patients, 16.3% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 2 — 104 new patients, 10.9% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 3 — 102 new patients, 9.6% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 4 — 81 new patients, 6.9% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 5 — 44 new patients, 3.5% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 6 — 48 new patients, 3.8% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 7 — 442 new patients, 33.1% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 8 — 206 new patients, 11.6% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 9 — 179 new patients, 9% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 10 — 192 new patients, 8.8% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 11 — 128 new patients, 5.4% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 12 — 26 new patients, 1% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 13 — 81 new patients, 3.29% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 14 — 183 new patients, 7% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 15 — 153 new patients, 5.5% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 16 — 118 new patients, 4% increase over previous day’s report
• April 17 — 284 new patients, 9.3% increase over previous day’s report
• April 18 — 96 new patients, 2.8% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 19 — 44 new patients, 1.2% increase over previous 24-hour period.
• April 20 — 86 new patients, 2.4% increase over previous 24-hour period.
• April 21 — 229 new patients, 6.4% increase over previous 24-hour period.
• April 22 — 180 new patients, 4.7% increase over previous 24-hour period
• April 23 — 110 new patients, 2.7% increase over previous 24-hour period.
• April 24 — 152 new patients, 3.7% increase over previous 24-hour period. -- Some businesses reopen
• April 25 — 105 new patients, 2.4% increase over previous 24-hour period.
• April 26 — 33 new patients, 0.01% (one-tenth of 1 percent) increase over previous 24-hour period.
• April 27 — 74 new patients, 1.6% increase over previous 24-hour period. -- Restaurants reopen
• April 28 — 345 new patients, 7.7% increase over previous 24-hour period.
• April 29 — 170 new patients, 3.5% increase over previous 24-hour period.
• April 30 — 162 new patients, 3.2% increase over the previous 24-hour period.
• May 1 — 108 new patients, 2.1% increase over the previous 24-hour period. -- Most businesses reopen

While these figures don't show a consistent pattern and some of the big spikes and drops may be due to reporting delays (especially on weekends) that catch up early the next week, it's clear that there has been no sustained decline in hospitalizations her in Georgia that would justify what the governor has done. In New York, on the other hand, you can see a sustained drop in both new hospitalizations and deaths since the middle of April.

The median time between infection and showing symptoms is about five days, which means that reported cases should be showing up about now (delays in getting tested and getting test results back). If these results are indicative of an actual big increase in new cases (as opposed to just an increase in testing), then there would be a similar spike in hospitalizations in 2-3 days. The grimmest statistic, actual deaths, usually don't happen until 1-2 weeks after hospitalization.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#419 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:13 am

Fri May 01, 2020 9:13 pm
The median time between infection and showing symptoms is about five days, which means that reported cases should be showing up about now (delays in getting tested and getting test results back). If these results are indicative of an actual big increase in new cases (as opposed to just an increase in testing), then there would be a similar spike in hospitalizations in 2-3 days. The grimmest statistic, actual deaths, usually don't happen until 1-2 weeks after hospitalization.
It take time between first onset of symptoms and the need for hospitalization, for those who need it. I wouldn't expect the spike in hospitalization rates to hit for about two weeks. The spike in the death rate will start to become apparent about a week later. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#420 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 02, 2020 11:54 am

Stupidity vs. science redux:
Over three weeks ago, hydroxychloroquine was all the rage in MAGA world, despite flawed and scattered evidence about whether the drug could help cure coronavirus. Now there is another drug, remdesivir, with positive early scientific data. Much of MAGA world wants little to do with it.

At first, it may seem like a head-scratching response. President Donald Trump’s base has been quick to trumpet any potential solutions to the coronavirus pandemic — especially those Trump himself promotes — regardless of the red flags from medical experts. But with remdesivir, it’s the Trump-boosting pundits who are raising the red flags, even as the president expresses optimism.

Indeed, the same segment of the right that claimed scientists and the media were deliberately downplaying hydroxychloroquine in order to hurt Trump’s standing are now the ones downplaying remdesivir. On Fox News, Laura Ingraham suggested that remdesivir, as a newer drug being produced by the pharmaceutical company Gilead Sciences, could be unsafe and expensive. Those who initially helped raise the profile of hydroxychloroquine raised doubts about the remdesivir studies. Remdesivir’s progress came through a government-funded trial that had the blessing of Dr. Anthony Fauci, the bête noire of Trump hardliners who blame the government’s top infectious disease expert for undermining the president and causing unnecessary economic damage with his social-distancing guidelines.

That night, Ingraham devoted a segment of her show that night arguing on behalf of hydroxychloroquine. Ingraham first suggested that remdesivir could present dangers, urging restraint until government regulators like the Food and Drug Administration could thoroughly review the treatment. “It hasn’t been approved by the FDA,” she said. “They might do emergency authorization. Hydroxychloroquine was approved decades ago.” The FDA — which Fauci does not run — in fact did move swiftly. On Friday it issued an emergency-use authorization to help patients get quicker access to remdesivir, the first antiviral to show promise against Covid-19 infection. Ingraham added that remdesivir, as a new drug, could be expensive, whereas “hydroxychloroquine is obviously cheap and already readily available.” She then brought out a doctor who defended hydroxychloroquine as “safe” and expressed worries that remdesivir, originally developed to fight Ebola, could be dangerous.

“Fauci loves insanely expensive drugs and hates cheap plentiful ones or any hint of preventative supplementation. You see how quickly he praised #remdesivir and has only scorn for #hydroxychroloquine?” tweeted commentator Bill Mitchell, who Trump has been retweeting this week. Mitchell was initially one of the loudest voices on the right dismissing the coronavirus threat and has attacked Fauci in the past. His reasoning? Fauci is “a big pharma puppet.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/0 ... vir-229765

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#421 Post by Bob78164 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:06 pm

This is Donny's Labor Department telling most employers that they don't have to report workplace instances of COVID-19, even though under the law it's a "recordable illness."

The score under Donny's Administration: Corporations, 3 gazillion. Workers, 0. Still pitching a shutout. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#422 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun May 03, 2020 4:23 pm

A Walmart in Worcester, MA, has been closed after 81 of its 391 employees tested positive for coronavirus. The bulk of these positive results have come in the last seven days. The store is being completely sanitized before reopening. Of course, there's no word on how many customers may have been infected in that time. We'll start learning that in the next few days as well.

Walmart is better equipped to sanitize stores than most other retailers, yet our governor here in Georgia has opened the floodgates for this sort of thing.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/worcester- ... e/32351894#

silverscreenselect

#423 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun May 03, 2020 7:13 pm

Here's a sign from the Illinois protest on Friday, where some more of Donald Trump's "very good people" were gathered. The JB refers to Illinois governor JB Pritzker who is Jewish. The upside-down "B" represents how the letter actually appears on the sign above the entrance gates to Auschwitz.

silverscreenselect

#424 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 05, 2020 8:49 am

Calvin Munerlyn, a father of nine, was gunned down after turning a customer away for trying to enter a Family Dollar in Michigan without a mask, according to authorities.
On Monday, Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton charged three suspects in the murder — 45-year-old Sharmel Teague, 44-year-old Larry Edward Teague Jr., and 23-year-old Ramonyea Bishop.

Officials said Sharmel Teague and her daughter went to the Family Dollar in Flint, Michigan, Friday afternoon. Security footage showed Munerlyn and Teague got into a verbal altercation after he told the woman that her daughter needed a face mask to enter the store. Teague began to yell and spit at Munerlyn, who asked her to leave the store and instructed a cashier not to serve her.

The same vehicle returned about 20 minutes later at 2:15 p.m. Two suspects, Larry Teague, Sharmel Teague's husband, and Ramonyea Bishop, her son, entered the store. Larry Teague confronted the security guard about disrespecting his wife and Bishop fatally shot him in the back of the head, Leyton said. The two men then left the store. Munerlyn, 43, was transported to Hurley Medical Center, where he later was pronounced dead.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 081674001/

silverscreenselect

#425 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 05, 2020 9:17 am

Donald Trump 5/4/20 wrote:We saved millions of lives, I think... Now, the one thing that the pandemic has taught us is that I was right. You know, I had people say, ‘No, no, it’s good. You keep — you do this and that.’ Now those people are really agreeing with me. And that includes medicine and other things, you know.
https://nypost.com/2020/05/04/trump-say ... feel-good/