Millionaire Live app question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Millionaire Live app question

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:26 pm

I made it to Q13, the question about the app which was originally used to download a jazz concert. I knew I wouldn't know it, so I clicked the only lifeline I had left, the Ask the Audience. The way I understood it, that lifeline selects the most popular answer from all the answers submitted. By my short look, the correct answer, Venmo, had the most selections as well, which I thought meant I should still be in the game. But it booted me, and said I would just be playing for fun. Anybody know what I might have done wrong?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

andyrinny2

Re: Millionaire Live app question

#2 Post by andyrinny2 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:43 pm

Hi all,

I used to post here as andyrinny, but haven't posted in many years. I no longer use the email I used then, and don't recall my password, so I re-registered as andyrinny2.

Anyhow, I had the same experience tonight as mrkelley23. I went to the audience on this same question, and it seemed that Venmo, choice 4 and the right choice, got the most responses (possibly 267). The app indicated that I had chosen choice 3 (Spotify, 2nd most popular, with maybe 243 responses). The app indicated that I had answered wrong and could then play just for fun. We was robbed!

andyrinny

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:43 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:26 pm
I made it to Q13, the question about the app which was originally used to download a jazz concert. I knew I wouldn't know it, so I clicked the only lifeline I had left, the Ask the Audience. The way I understood it, that lifeline selects the most popular answer from all the answers submitted. By my short look, the correct answer, Venmo, had the most selections as well, which I thought meant I should still be in the game. But it booted me, and said I would just be playing for fun. Anybody know what I might have done wrong?
Venmo was right.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:49 pm

andyrinny2 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:43 pm
Hi all,

I used to post here as andyrinny, but haven't posted in many years. I no longer use the email I used then, and don't recall my password, so I re-registered as andyrinny2.

Anyhow, I had the same experience tonight as mrkelley23. I went to the audience on this same question, and it seemed that Venmo, choice 4 and the right choice, got the most responses (possibly 267). The app indicated that I had chosen choice 3 (Spotify, 2nd most popular, with maybe 243 responses). The app indicated that I had answered wrong and could then play just for fun. We was robbed!

andyrinny
Thanks, Andy. Glad someone could back me up on this.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Rafferbee

#5 Post by Rafferbee » Fri May 01, 2020 10:26 am

If you click on the rules in the app, under 3c it states
Go with the Audience--will default the Contestant's selected response for the Question to be the same choice selected by the most individuals participating in that Question, including individuals who are participating without the opportunity to win a Prize (i.e. players who have been eliminated from the Contest, did not timely join during the Game Play Period or are otherwise playing along for fun.)
You only saw the responses from the people who were still in it at that point, but your ATA drew from all the people who had lost already. That's why it looked like it picked the #3 response when it including all the people at home clicking randomly.

goongas

#6 Post by goongas » Fri May 01, 2020 1:29 pm

I went out on the question before, I clicked Spotify, I imagine my choice counts in the voting as Megan said.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 01, 2020 2:21 pm

I messed up on the triangle question, leaving two lifelines on the table again. :(

So if I do ever try the 50/50 or Double Dip, do they work like in the real game? I still have to select my answer (or two answers) after using the lifeline, before time runs out?

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:03 pm

Rafferbee wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:26 am
If you click on the rules in the app, under 3c it states
Go with the Audience--will default the Contestant's selected response for the Question to be the same choice selected by the most individuals participating in that Question, including individuals who are participating without the opportunity to win a Prize (i.e. players who have been eliminated from the Contest, did not timely join during the Game Play Period or are otherwise playing along for fun.)
You only saw the responses from the people who were still in it at that point, but your ATA drew from all the people who had lost already. That's why it looked like it picked the #3 response when it including all the people at home clicking randomly.
That totally makes sense, thank you. I did read the rules, but must have glossed right over that sentence. For the record, I would have missedd it without the lifeline, too -- I would have picked Spotify.

Thanks, Rafferbee.

mrkelley23

#9 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:05 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:21 pm
I messed up on the triangle question, leaving two lifelines on the table again. :(

So if I do ever try the 50/50 or Double Dip, do they work like in the real game? I still have to select my answer (or two answers) after using the lifeline, before time runs out?
I used the double dip on that very question, since I couldn't remember whether it was scalene or isosceles.

You have to pick two answers before time runs out, and you can't change either one once you've selected.

50/50 works like that, too -- you've gotta be really quick. It will take two away fairly quickly, but you've still got to get your answer in before the timer runs down.

thguy65

#10 Post by thguy65 » Fri May 01, 2020 5:41 pm

I was attempting to use the Double-Dip on the spelling question, but my tapping of the Lifeline button was too much like a finger-swipe upwards, so I accidentally closed my app!
By the time I re-entered the app, it was of course too late to enter any response.
Fortunately for my sanity, I would have crashed on some of the later questions anyway so it didn't "ruin" my chances of winning.

- Tim H.

goongas

#11 Post by goongas » Fri May 01, 2020 6:18 pm

I used the 50/50 on the spelling question, but when I clicked the answer (guarantee), it did not register, I ran out of time...You have to be really fast with using the 50/50 and Double Dip.

andyrinny2

#12 Post by andyrinny2 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks, Rafferbee, that explains it.