Incompetence may have spread the virus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: Incompetence may have spread the virus

#226 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:13 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:01 am
Why do you think they're not practicing social distancing? Because there's no law? They can't do it without a law? Are you doing it? Only because there's a law?
Drunk driving isn't smart either, and most people know enough not to do so, whether or not there's a law. Still …

What the laws do is close down restaurants, gyms, bars, theaters, and other locations where people are unlikely to practice social distancing.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#227 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:43 am

Donald Trump 3/25/20 wrote:The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success. The real people want to get back to work ASAP. We will be stronger than ever before!
Donald Trump 3/25/20 wrote:[In response to a reporter question about what Trump's basis for opening the country by Easter is]Just so you understand, are you ready? I think there are certain people who would like it not to open so quickly. I think there are certain people who would like it to do financially poorly because they think that would be very good and far as defeating me at the polls. I think there are people in your profession that would like that to happen. I think it's very clear that there are people in your profession that write fake news. You do. She does.
Here's one of the "LameStream Media," Michael Strain, director of the conservative American Enterprise Institute:
A warning to the president: Trying and failing to reopen the economy before economic activity is organically ready to resume could have dire economic consequences. Many people would ignore Trump’s directive to restart economic life, but not all would. And if the premature resumption of economic activity resulted in significant public health consequences — more cases, more deaths, hospitals more overwhelmed — by allowing the coronavirus to spread further and faster, the president will have lost control.

An even more dire public health crisis would bring a much more severe and lengthy economic downturn. And a more dire public health crisis brought on in part by the president’s decision to reopen the economy too early would have even worse economic consequences because the government would have lost the credibility to inform Americans about the virus. Many people would be afraid for longer to resume normal economic life regardless of what the government tells them. People would avoid dining out, shopping, taking public transportation, traveling and working from their offices for longer than would be necessary, because there would be no federal authority that could credibly give them the all-clear.

More and better information on the virus is desperately needed. People will feel comfortable resuming economic activity when the facts — importantly, from more and better testing — suggest that it is reasonable to do so. Trump can’t substitute his pronouncements for those facts, because many people, not to mention state and local officials, simply wouldn’t respond to his message. But the president should be careful. The more people who would take his word for it, the worse the economic downturn could become.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... f=1pnqJ0TR

So, on the one hand, the medical community and leading economists on the left and the right, and on the other hand, Trump, Flock, and some geniuses at Fox News.

flockofseagulls104

#228 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:42 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:43 am
Donald Trump 3/25/20 wrote:The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success. The real people want to get back to work ASAP. We will be stronger than ever before!
Donald Trump 3/25/20 wrote:[In response to a reporter question about what Trump's basis for opening the country by Easter is]Just so you understand, are you ready? I think there are certain people who would like it not to open so quickly. I think there are certain people who would like it to do financially poorly because they think that would be very good and far as defeating me at the polls. I think there are people in your profession that would like that to happen. I think it's very clear that there are people in your profession that write fake news. You do. She does.
Here's one of the "LameStream Media," Michael Strain, director of the conservative American Enterprise Institute:
A warning to the president: Trying and failing to reopen the economy before economic activity is organically ready to resume could have dire economic consequences. Many people would ignore Trump’s directive to restart economic life, but not all would. And if the premature resumption of economic activity resulted in significant public health consequences — more cases, more deaths, hospitals more overwhelmed — by allowing the coronavirus to spread further and faster, the president will have lost control.

An even more dire public health crisis would bring a much more severe and lengthy economic downturn. And a more dire public health crisis brought on in part by the president’s decision to reopen the economy too early would have even worse economic consequences because the government would have lost the credibility to inform Americans about the virus. Many people would be afraid for longer to resume normal economic life regardless of what the government tells them. People would avoid dining out, shopping, taking public transportation, traveling and working from their offices for longer than would be necessary, because there would be no federal authority that could credibly give them the all-clear.

More and better information on the virus is desperately needed. People will feel comfortable resuming economic activity when the facts — importantly, from more and better testing — suggest that it is reasonable to do so. Trump can’t substitute his pronouncements for those facts, because many people, not to mention state and local officials, simply wouldn’t respond to his message. But the president should be careful. The more people who would take his word for it, the worse the economic downturn could become.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... f=1pnqJ0TR

So, on the one hand, the medical community and leading economists on the left and the right, and on the other hand, Trump, Flock, and some geniuses at Fox News.
You and your ilk have been working overtime to try and question the credibility of the government (defined: trump) from the very start. That is the only reason you are digging for ANYTHING that you can that will possibly help that goal (and making sure you let us know when 'there's more').

But remember, if any of us survive, we can always elect the guy whose campaign slogan will be: "We've got to take care of the cure that will make the problem worse no matter what!!!!"

All your base are belong to us!
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#229 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:47 pm

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:42 pm
You and your ilk have been working overtime to try and question the credibility of the government (defined: trump) from the very start.
That's because he's been lying to us from the very start. And like it or not, that's not opinion. It's verifiable fact. Now we're all paying the price for that verifiable fact. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#230 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:47 pm
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:42 pm
You and your ilk have been working overtime to try and question the credibility of the government (defined: trump) from the very start.
That's because he's been lying to us from the very start. And like it or not, that's not opinion. It's verifiable fact. Now we're all paying the price for that verifiable fact. --Bob
The media and dems have lied to us much, much more, bobby. And that is a verifiable fact.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#231 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm

Here's the thing. We're going to choose in November who leads us through the second half of this crisis. Vice President Biden sometimes gets tongue-tied -- that's apparently not uncommon in those who have overcome a stutter. But even someone who just gets out of the way and says nothing would be a vast improvement over the liar we have right now, because when it really does become reasonably safe to return to normal, the federal government will have squandered the credibility necessary to persuade the people that it really is safe to again go out and about. And that will delay the return to economic normality.

Donny lies. Repeatedly. And he will cheerfully tell lies that harm the American people, as long as they advance his own personal self-interest. That's never been true, as far as I'm concerned, of anyone else who has worked in the Oval Office during my lifetime, or even my mother's lifetime. That's a disaster in the White House at the best of times. In the current crisis, it's catastrophic. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#232 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm
Here's the thing. We're going to choose in November who leads us through the second half of this crisis. Vice President Biden sometimes gets tongue-tied -- that's apparently not uncommon in those who have overcome a stutter. But even someone who just gets out of the way and says nothing would be a vast improvement over the liar we have right now, because when it really does become reasonably safe to return to normal, the federal government will have squandered the credibility necessary to persuade the people that it really is safe to again go out and about. And that will delay the return to economic normality.

Donny lies. Repeatedly. And he will cheerfully tell lies that harm the American people, as long as they advance his own personal self-interest. That's never been true, as far as I'm concerned, of anyone else who has worked in the Oval Office during my lifetime, or even my mother's lifetime. That's a disaster in the White House at the best of times. In the current crisis, it's catastrophic. --Bob
You have been a completely partisan ass clown from the day he was elected. You have your opinion. But that is all you have. You are pathetic. I actually feel sorry for you.
I wish you'd tone down your ranting, but I know you won't.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#233 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:41 pm

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 pm
You have been a completely partisan ass clown from the day he was elected.
Go flock yourself. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#234 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Now we know why the Administration took a hands-on approach to the Senate bill. They snuck in a tax break worth one helluva lot of money to high-income real estate investors such as Donny, but having no apparent relationship to COVID 19. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#235 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:41 pm
Go flock yourself. --Bob
It's the truth, and you and all your imaginary minions on this bored know it. So why don't you just knock it off or go preach your hate somewhere else. It's really obnoxious.

silverscreenselect

#236 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:38 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Go flock yourself. --Bob
It's the truth, and you and all your imaginary minions on this bored know it. So why don't you just knock it off or go preach your hate somewhere else. It's really obnoxious.
Flock: You have been a completely partisan suckup from the day he was elected. It's the truth and you and all your imaginary minions on this Bored know it. So why don't you just knock it off or go preach your fawning brown nosing somewhere else. It's really sickening.

flockofseagulls104

#237 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:04 pm

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:45 pm
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:38 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Go flock yourself. --Bob
Flock: You have been a completely partisan suckup from the day he was elected. It's the truth and you and all your imaginary minions on this Bored know it. So why don't you just knock it off or go preach your fawning brown nosing somewhere else. It's really sickening.
No I haven't. I don't pretend to have minions. I speak my mind and I put up with your hatefulness and trolling and sometimes give it right back to you.
I have tried to reason with you, particularly, innumerable times. But you seem to be deaf because you have the same schtick over and over and over again. The post above is another perfect example.
Bobby is nothing but a pure partisan shill, and that is an unadulterated fact. So anything he posts must be viewed in that light. Has he EVER posted anything that disproves that?

silverscreenselect

#238 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:09 pm

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:04 pm
I speak my mind and I put up with your hatefulness and trolling and sometimes give it right back to you.
I have tried to reason with you, particularly, innumerable times. But you seem to be deaf because you have the same schtick over and over and over again.
My shtick is the facts as documented by public health and economic experts. Your mind is whatever Donald Trump and the right wing media say it should be at any particular time.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#239 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:16 pm

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:09 pm
I speak my mind and I put up with your hatefulness and trolling and sometimes give it right back to you.
I have tried to reason with you, particularly, innumerable times. But you seem to be deaf because you have the same schtick over and over and over again.
My shtick is the facts as documented by public health and economic experts. Your mind is whatever Donald Trump and the right wing media say it should be at any particular time.
I learned a long time ago that when someone devolves to name-calling, it's because he can't respond to the facts. And on top of that, flock's behavior has demonstrated that he's a liar. So I'm not sure why you're still engaging with him to this extent. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#240 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:29 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:16 pm
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:09 pm
I learned a long time ago that when someone devolves to name-calling, it's because he can't respond to the facts. And on top of that, flock's behavior has demonstrated that he's a liar. So I'm not sure why you're still engaging with him to this extent. --Bob
Ha ha ha. So now I'm a liar too. Just like trump. So much for name calling. Take a look at my signature to see the names I've been called.

From this point on, I will leave this thread to the people who wish to dig deep for all the negative news they can to blame on trump and repubs. Blame is their game. Their goal is the same as it's been for almost 4 years. And now their objective is to replace trump with a person who is literally losing his mind before our eyes.
Last edited by flockofseagulls104 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverscreenselect

#241 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:31 pm

Nearly three dozen people who attended a recent children's event at a church in Arkansas have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to church officials. Donald Shipp, a deacon at First Assembly of God church in Greers Ferry, about 75 miles north of Little Rock, told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that 34 people who attended the event in early March at the Cleburne County church had tested positive for the coronavirus, and that an unknown number of others were awaiting test results.

[A pastor at the church who later tested positive for the virus] said that when such a virus spreads on the other side of the world, "your first inclination is to assume that time and distance are on your side." But "that false assumption" recently caught up with him and his wife, he said. The couple and dozens of others from their church initially could not get tested, according to Palenske. "One local doctor had a very small number of commercial tests and the rest is history, I suppose," he wrote. "Maybe you assumed that it couldn’t happen to you, just like I did," he wrote. "Please adhere to the social instructions that you are receiving locally and nationally."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ne ... e-n1169471

I'm not trying to blame the pastor at this church, but if Donald Trump keeps pushing forward with this idea of reopening the country for Easter, you could see this same scenario play out dozens of times at churches all over the country, especially if their leaders are like Jerry Falwell Jr. Arkansas isn't getting a lot of mention among coronavirus hot spots, but incidents like this could hit any smaller state. I think you're also seeing people who live in "hot" areas trying to get away to more rural environs (the "desert island" phenomenon), and if any of them are carriers, they are taking the disease right along with them.

silverscreenselect

#242 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Demagoguery vs. Science
Dinesh D'Souza, convicted felon pardoned by Trump wrote:And also remember that a few weeks ago, Jennifer Rubin, the Never Trumper, and others were all putting out the idea that there was so much misinformation being put out by the president, and by Fox News, that we would see spreads of the coronavirus in the red states — Republicans would die. But in fact, interestingly, these spreads are mainly in the blue states.
Nate Silver wrote:Here's another interesting comparison. Yesterday, detected cases increased by 31% in Trump states as compared to 21% in Clinton states.

silverscreenselect

#243 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:45 am

This is a remarkable story about HEB, a Texas grocery store chain that took immediate action to prepare for the coronavirus. I'd never heard of them, but they seem to have better foreign intelligence and planning capabilities than our current federal government:
So when did we start looking at the coronavirus? Probably the second week in January, when it started popping up in China as an issue. We’ve got interests in the global sourcing world, and we started getting reports on how it was impacting things in China, so we started watching it closely at that point. We decided to take a harder look at how to implement the plan we developed in 2009 into a tabletop exercise. On February 2, we dusted it off and compared the plan we had versus what we were seeing in China, and started working on step one pretty heavily.
So, on February 2, while Donald Trump was saying: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China," this company was spending a lot of money ramping up its preparations.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/heb-p ... -pandemic/

silverscreenselect

#244 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am

Alabama Governor Kay Ivey refuses to issue a shelter-in-place order (although the city of Birmingham has one): "We are not California."

She's right:

Total reported coronavirus cases in California (per capita) 1 per 9783 people
Total reported coronavirus cases in Alabama (per capita) 1 per 9085 people

Lucky California

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#245 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:36 am

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am
Alabama Governor Kay Ivey refuses to issue a shelter-in-place order (although the city of Birmingham has one): "We are not California."

She's right:

Total reported coronavirus cases in California (per capita) 1 per 9783 people
Total reported coronavirus cases in Alabama (per capita) 1 per 9085 people

Lucky California
The doubling time of this virus, left unchecked, appears to be approximately 2.7 days. That means that four weeks is enough time for ten doubles. Which will mean that four weeks from now, more than 10% of Alabama's population, or nearly 500,000 people will have the virus. Roughly 2% of Alabama's population, or roughly 100,000 people will need to be hospitalized from the virus, and most of them will need ventilators. Unless additional ventilators come on line, the entire country has about 100,000 ventilators, and I've heard that other states are already using theirs. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#246 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 am

The governor of Mississippis has issued a back-to-work order and overruled the various shelter-in-place directives in a number of cities. Already, people are reportedly doubling up on Bible study classes they missed in the past few days. They'll need those studies if the disease works the way it has in every other part of the world.

Bob Juch

#247 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:27 pm

Now trump and his apologists are claiming that we don't need as many respirators as the experts say we need. :evil:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#248 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:37 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:27 pm
Now trump and his apologists are claiming that we don't need as many respirators as the experts say we need. :evil:
Great. They can be last in line when we run out. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#249 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:59 pm

Rush Limbaugh 3/27/20 wrote:I think it's imperative that we have somebody like Donald Trump, who is outside the establishment, expert class, who has a history of solving problems, to actually lead the country through this. ... And the American people did not elect a bunch of health experts that we don't know. We didn't elect a president to defer to a bunch of health experts that we don't know. And how do we know they're even health experts? Well, they wear white lab coats, and they've been in the job for a while, and they're at the CDC and they're at the NIH, and they're up, well — yeah, they've been there, and they are there. But has there been any job assessment for them? They're just assumed to be the best because they're in government. But, these are all kinds of things that I've been questioning.
This is the type of type of drivel that people are listening to. It's not just experts at the CDC and NIH. It's literally every single health professional who has gone on record about the coronavirus. (I probably shouldn't say every because Flock is likely to have somebody from Breitbart willing to say it's all getting better now.

Rush Limbaugh has first hand experience with health experts whose advice he disregarded about cigar smoking. How's that turning out for him?

silverscreenselect

#250 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:32 pm

Here are some projections from the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington. They project a peak resource use for the virus nationwide on April 14, with 2341 deaths that day and a total over a four month period of 81,000 deaths. However, those statistics are based on "the continuation of strong social distancing measures and other protective measures." Already, states like Alabama and Mississippi are cutting back on these measures, which could well lead to a much longer recovery period. By the way, the graphs on this page are for the country as a whole. You can see graphs for individual states as well.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections