Some Nominees for This Year's Darwin Awards

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Some Nominees for This Year's Darwin Awards

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:31 am

If you're wondering why Bernie Sanders hasn't done any better in this year's primaries, it's because young people are too busy doing this instead of thinking about politics.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Spock

Re: Some Nominees for This Year's Darwin Awards

#2 Post by Spock » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:28 am

I saw this comment elsewhere-but they will have the last laugh if it turns out that STD's cure Coronavirus.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:47 am

What's especially scary about these spring breakers isn't what the idiots are doing to themselves but the fact that they're going home in a week to dozens of cities in many different states, and any of them could be contagious.

New T-shirt design: My son (daughter) went to Florida for spring break and all I got was the coronavirus.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:47 am
What's especially scary about these spring breakers isn't what the idiots are doing to themselves but the fact that they're going home in a week to dozens of cities in many different states, and any of them could be contagious.
This 100%.

Self-centered, oblivious pack of shitheads. Yeah, if they get the virus they'll likely survive it. So what do they care if they pass it along to the elderly or people with medical issues? They planning on giving a big hug and kiss to Gramma and Grampa when they get back? Although one benefit of losing some of these little assholes to the virus would be raising the collective IQ of Americans, it's not worth the potential misery and loss of life among the innocent and unsuspecting.

Maybe..MAYBE we're overreacting, although at this point it doesn't seem so, and I am already annoyed by the restrictions and loss of activities, but down the road I'd much rather be saying "I guess we didn't need to do all that" than "I WISH we had done that".
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:03 pm

Does it make me a bad person that I want to ignore social distancing and put my fist into the faces of some of these morons? I could wear gloves.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:07 pm

>>>"Does it make me a bad person that I want to ignore social distancing and put my fist into the faces of some of these morons? I could wear gloves."<<<

I don't know if you have seen this yet, if not you will want to punch them even more.

Apparently, many young people are calling Coronavirus-"Boomer Remover."

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 pm

Spock wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:07 pm
>>>"Does it make me a bad person that I want to ignore social distancing and put my fist into the faces of some of these morons? I could wear gloves."<<<

I don't know if you have seen this yet, if not you will want to punch them even more.

Apparently, many young people are calling Coronavirus-"Boomer Remover."
That does indeed increase the desire on my part to do some reconstructive surgery upon their countenances.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

SpacemanSpiff

#8 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:40 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:03 pm
Does it make me a bad person that I want to ignore social distancing and put my fist into the faces of some of these morons? I could wear gloves.
Only is you follow the Marquis of Queensbury rules.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:43 pm

USA Today wrote:New data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that among the roughly 12% of COVID-19 cases in the U.S. known to need hospitalizations, about 1 in 5 were among people ages 20 to 44. Anywhere from 14% to 21% of adults ages 20 to 44 with COVID-19 have been hospitalized, the CDC data estimates. Two to 4% of cases led to ICU admissions, and less than 1% were fatal.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 874271001/

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:20 am

California Beach 3/21/20 after Governor's lockdown order:

California Bikepath 3/21/20:

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:08 am

Brady Sluder, the student who was the focus of the news coverage, has issued an apology on Instagram for his statements.
I'd like to take this time to own up to the mistakes I've made and apologize to the people I offended.
He may be young, but he already displays more maturity and humility than the President of the United States.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ju ... ideo-viral

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:32 pm

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:20 am
California Beach 3/21/20 after Governor's lockdown order:

California Bikepath 3/21/20:

Parking lots at state beaches have now been closed, and many cities have followed suit. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#13 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 pm

I see no problem with the above beach scene. Beachgoers appear to practicing social distancing.

For their mental and physical health, people need to be able to go outside.

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 pm
I see no problem with the above beach scene. Beachgoers appear to practicing social distancing.

You must not be looking at the same beach I am. Assuming that the ones next to each other in the front are family members, you've still got a whole bunch of people towards the rear of the picture who are closer than six feet apart.

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:23 am

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 pm
Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 pm

You must not be looking at the same beach I am. Assuming that the ones next to each other in the front are family members, you've still got a whole bunch of people towards the rear of the picture who are closer than six feet apart.
That's Huntington Beach. The weather has been rather chilly there in the past weeks. I doubt that's a current photo.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:37 pm

With what's been going on lately, this thread needs to be bumped up.
John W. McDaniel, Marion, OH 3/15/20 wrote:If What I'm hearing is true, that DeWine has ordered all bars and restaurants to be closed, I Say Bullshit! He doesn't have that authority. If you are paranoid about getting sick just don't go out. It shouldn't keep those of us from Living our Lives. The Madness has to stop.
The madness did stop for John McDaniel on April 15, when he died of COVID-19. No word on how many health care workers he may have infected as a result of "Living our Lives."

https://www.marionstar.com/story/news/2 ... 145803002/

earendel

#17 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:10 pm

I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to tell those who want to "liberate" their states to go ahead and congregate, and let the chips fall where they may. But don't expect to be treated for covid-19 when you get it. You knew the risks and decided to be stupid. Natural selection at its finest.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#18 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:19 pm

earendel wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:10 pm
I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to tell those who want to "liberate" their states to go ahead and congregate, and let the chips fall where they may. But don't expect to be treated for covid-19 when you get it. You knew the risks and decided to be stupid. Natural selection at its finest.
The problem is that they're not just asking for the right to contract the disease themselves. They also want the right to pass it along to anyone they come in contact with, such as grocery workers or other people who can't pick and choose the people with whom they come into contact.

I think the correct response to people (and this is really an Astroturf campaign -- there aren't many people at these rallies) who insist on violating social distancing in the course of their protest is to quarantine them, forcibly if necessary, for 14 days. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:09 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:19 pm
I think the correct response to people (and this is really an Astroturf campaign -- there aren't many people at these rallies) who insist on violating social distancing in the course of their protest is to quarantine them, forcibly if necessary, for 14 days. --Bob
Bob, at least you live in a state where they have intelligent leadership that values the health of its citizens. I live in Georgia where state politicians regularly engage in games of who can suck up to Donald Trump the most. And today Governor Brian Kemp took the prize. On a day on which over 1200 new cases and nearly 100 deaths were reported, he decided that this was a good day to relax restrictions. So, as of Friday or Monday (it varies depending on the type of business), theaters, dine-in restaurants, private social clubs, gyms, hair salons, bowling alleys, massage therapists, tattoo parlors, "as long as owners follow strict social-distancing and hygiene requirements." I have been unable to find out what those strict social distancing and hygiene requirements are or who is going to enforce them, but I don't see how hair salons, massage therapists, and tattoo parlors are going to maintain strict social distancing requirements, and I highly doubt that the employees at those establishments are all going to be tested, let alone the customers. In addition, the KIA manufacturing plant in West Georgia plans to reopen next week. They claim they will have face shields for the employees, but, again, how much social distancing will occur remains to be seen. Says Kemp:
I think this is the right approach at the right time. We’re not just throwing the keys back to these business owners. We’re talking about people the government shut down their business.
As "proof" that this is the right time to lift restrictions, Kemp mentioned that emergency room visits by people reporting flu-like symptoms are declining, which, in his opinion, indicates that infections are going down. Words can't begin to describe how disgusted I am by all this.

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:05 pm

I feel like we're going through a large-scale horrible repeat of the argument we had on this Bored two months ago with Flock about how serious the coronavirus was. He wanted to bet me and I refused because my "prize" for winning was just what we're experiencing, tens of thousands of deaths and billions of dollars in losses. Now a whole bunch of Flocks are making the exact same argument, egged on by the Flock-in-chief in the White House.

Fortunately, the governors of the blue states seem to have the good sense for now to ignore the well-financed provacateurs staging their mini-protests with maxi-news coverage. Unfortunately, those of us who live in Georgia (which ranks in the bottom ten in testing per capita), Texas, Tennessee, Florida and other red states are going to have to suffer right along with our idiot politicians. Our governor Kemp, whose ignorance of the virus is astonishing (he didn't know until two weeks ago that people who were asymptomatic could be highly contagious), is first in line to lift restrictions. Per the governor, his safety measures include: "Minimum Basic Operations includes, but is not limited to, screening workers for fever and respiratory illness, enhancing workplace sanitation, wearing masks & gloves if appropriate, separating workspaces by six feet, teleworking if possible & implementing staggered shifts." It remains to be seen how rigid the enforcement of these rules will be.

And all this on a day on which Georgia reported its single highest daily total of new cases. We are going to be the sad statistical "proof" that doctors and scientists know more about this epidemic that right-wing politicians and their media hacks.

SpacemanSpiff

#21 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:49 pm

I just saw a picture of a protester holding the sign "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death."

My initial thought is that the two are not mutually exclusive.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Bob Juch

#22 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:52 pm

WEST COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - Gov. Henry McMaster has announced his plan to reopen South Carolina beaches and certain non-essential retail stores.

McMaster issued a new executive order Monday that will make that possible.

Beaches can reopen Tuesday, April 21 at noon. However, it will be up to local officials whether or not beaches will reopen, the governor said.

Some have already spoken up saying they will not reopen, such as Myrtle Beach and Isle of Palms, Edisto Beach, Folly Beach and Sullivan’s Island.

If local officials do reopen beaches, the governor says his mandate preventing groups of three or more people from gathering will remain in effect.

As for stores, several types of retail stores will be allowed to reopen under this executive order. That goes into effect at 5 p.m. Monday. Those stores include:

furniture stores
clothing and shoe stores
department stores
home furnishing stores
music stores
sporting good stores
jewelry stores
crafts stores
florists
flea markets
accessory stores
luggage and leather goods stores

Restrictions on how many customers can be inside those stores at once will be in effect. That means there can be no more than five customers per 1,000 square feet, or 20% occupancy, whichever is less.

“The people of South Carolina are complying very well,” the governor said.

He said residents are using common sense and that is why the reopening of beaches and stores is possible.

The governor also said people must continue to practice social distancing and good hygiene to help prevent further spread of the coronavirus. He reiterated the virus is deadly and we still need to protect those most at risk.

McMaster also said his previous executive order that prevents people traveling to South Carolina from hot spots from renting hotel rooms or other accommodations is still in effect.

The governor called reopening beaches and some businesses “a cautious step” and he assured the public he is looking at public health data to inform his decision.

As of Monday, no decision has been made about reopening schools or keeping them closed for the rest of the school year.

State Superintendent Molly Spearman joined WIS Today on Monday and said that decision will be announced later this week.

There are 4,439 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in South Carolina as of Monday, and 124 people have died.

When asked if officials believe South Carolina will see a second wave of coronavirus cases, DHEC director Rick Toomey said he is optimistic that won’t happen, but he cannot be sure.

This story will be updated.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#23 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:00 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:52 pm
WEST COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - Gov. Henry McMaster has announced his plan to reopen South Carolina beaches and certain non-essential retail stores.

McMaster issued a new executive order Monday that will make that possible.

Beaches can reopen Tuesday, April 21 at noon. However, it will be up to local officials whether or not beaches will reopen, the governor said.

Some have already spoken up saying they will not reopen, such as Myrtle Beach and Isle of Palms, Edisto Beach, Folly Beach and Sullivan’s Island.

If local officials do reopen beaches, the governor says his mandate preventing groups of three or more people from gathering will remain in effect.

As for stores, several types of retail stores will be allowed to reopen under this executive order. That goes into effect at 5 p.m. Monday. Those stores include:

furniture stores
clothing and shoe stores
department stores
home furnishing stores
music stores
sporting good stores
jewelry stores
crafts stores
florists
flea markets
accessory stores
luggage and leather goods stores

Restrictions on how many customers can be inside those stores at once will be in effect. That means there can be no more than five customers per 1,000 square feet, or 20% occupancy, whichever is less.

“The people of South Carolina are complying very well,” the governor said.

He said residents are using common sense and that is why the reopening of beaches and stores is possible.

The governor also said people must continue to practice social distancing and good hygiene to help prevent further spread of the coronavirus. He reiterated the virus is deadly and we still need to protect those most at risk.

McMaster also said his previous executive order that prevents people traveling to South Carolina from hot spots from renting hotel rooms or other accommodations is still in effect.

The governor called reopening beaches and some businesses “a cautious step” and he assured the public he is looking at public health data to inform his decision.

As of Monday, no decision has been made about reopening schools or keeping them closed for the rest of the school year.

State Superintendent Molly Spearman joined WIS Today on Monday and said that decision will be announced later this week.

There are 4,439 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in South Carolina as of Monday, and 124 people have died.

When asked if officials believe South Carolina will see a second wave of coronavirus cases, DHEC director Rick Toomey said he is optimistic that won’t happen, but he cannot be sure.

This story will be updated.
This seems like a reasonably sensible approach. None of the business types he's listed require large crowds within the stores or an unacceptable level of person-to-person contact. And I'm particularly heartened both that he's left local control of beaches in place (so popular beaches that are likely to be overwhelmed can remain shut) and that he emphasized that groups larger than three people still cannot congregate. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:42 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:00 pm

This seems like a reasonably sensible approach. None of the business types he's listed require large crowds within the stores or an unacceptable level of person-to-person contact.
While the South Carolina order isn't anywhere near as bad as the Georgia order, we still haven't seen in any state the minimum standards that the Feds set for relaxing the stay-at-home orders. As a practical matter, I think that (1) stores that have been bringing in zero revenue for a month won't be too picky about enforcing the total number of people allowed in at any time, (2) Southern state governments won't be too picky about enforcing those regulations either, but (3) many customers will be unlikely to go shopping, especially for non-necessities for quite a while still, but those that do will be more likely to be those same yahoos who are griping about their freedoms being taken away.

Also, there is a good bit of close interaction in places like shoe, clothing, and jewelry stores.

I would feel better if any reliable medical or scientific experts came out in support of any of these measures. But, while the governors cite the "public health" experts they've consulted, nobody ever goes on record as supporting these governors' actions.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#25 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:50 pm

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:42 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:00 pm

This seems like a reasonably sensible approach. None of the business types he's listed require large crowds within the stores or an unacceptable level of person-to-person contact.
While the South Carolina order isn't anywhere near as bad as the Georgia order, we still haven't seen in any state the minimum standards that the Feds set for relaxing the stay-at-home orders. As a practical matter, I think that (1) stores that have been bringing in zero revenue for a month won't be too picky about enforcing the total number of people allowed in at any time, (2) Southern state governments won't be too picky about enforcing those regulations either, but (3) many customers will be unlikely to go shopping, especially for non-necessities for quite a while still, but those that do will be more likely to be those same yahoos who are griping about their freedoms being taken away.

Also, there is a good bit of close interaction in places like shoe, clothing, and jewelry stores.

I would feel better if any reliable medical or scientific experts came out in support of any of these measures. But, while the governors cite the "public health" experts they've consulted, nobody ever goes on record as supporting these governors' actions.
I certainly agree that if the order is widely flouted it will prove to have been a bad idea. I know that in my neck of the woods, the businesses that have been able to remain open have been quite good about enforcing social distancing. --Bob