Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
flockofseagulls104

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#126 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:00 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:44 pm
Good news! TSA is going to allow you to carry a bigger bottle of hand sanitizer than it previously had allowed (that is, those 3-1-1 bags). You can carry on up to 12 ounces.

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/feel ... tizer.html
Woo hoo!!
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#127 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:07 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:47 pm
However, even when the fever subsides, I can't do anything about it. Effective today, all dentists offices are closed until the end of the month except for emergency situations.
There's nothing a pair of pliers and a shot of Jack Daniels can't cure.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

MarleysGh0st

#128 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:12 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
However, even when the fever subsides, I can't do anything about it. Effective today, all dentists offices are closed until the end of the month except for emergency situations.
Isn't an infected tooth an emergency dental situation?

Bob Juch

#129 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:24 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
More good news, this on a personal front.

I went to the doctor today about this fever, because you have to go through steps to get a COVID-19 test.

She definitely says it's the tooth/teeth, one of them has gotten badly infected. It should take another day for the antibiotic to knock it out (the fever, not the tooth).

But it sure beats the alternatives.
I can't find my digital thermometer; Amazon is sold out.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#130 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:25 pm

The Tucson mayor just ordered all bars, restaurants, gyms, any place where people congregate to close starting at 8 tonight for the rest of the month. I'm in Oro Valley which will probably follow suit.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#131 Post by Estonut » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:30 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
More good news, this on a personal front.

I went to the doctor today about this fever, because you have to go through steps to get a COVID-19 test.

She definitely says it's the tooth/teeth, one of them has gotten badly infected. It should take another day for the antibiotic to knock it out (the fever, not the tooth).

But it sure beats the alternatives.
I wonder what qualifies as a dental emergency, if not a badly infected tooth.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

earendel

#132 Post by earendel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:54 pm

Kentucky has decided to delay the Derby until September 5th and the presidential primary until mid-June (not that that matters).

On a personal note, I've been put on mandatory telework because I'm in two "high-risk" categories (age and diabetes). It hasn't been a pleasant experience so far - the Corps of Engineers does not have a robust VPN setup (only 10,000 lines, with a need for at least twice that many). My connection keeps dropping out and my email didn't update from 11:30 this morning until I reconnected at 6:00. For many this wouldn't be an issue but since I have to be able to get email or phone calls regarding problems that need to be resolved quickly, not getting those emails makes it hard for me to do my job, not to mention the frustration that the person with the problem experiences. We've been told that the situation should get better by April.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#133 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Adapted from The Knack, My Sharon (1979)

by A. F. Mayer

My Corona

My Corona

Ooh, my little shitty one, shitty one

When you gonna give me some (time, Corona?)

Ooh, you make my mind run, my mind run

Gun it coming off of the (line Corona)

Never gonna stop, give it up, such a dirty hand

Always clean it up for the touch of any kind

My, my, my, ay, ay, woah!

M-m-m-my Corona

My Corona

Come a little closer, huh, ah, will ya, huh

Close enough to infect my eyes, Corona

Keeping it a mystery gets to me

Running down the strength of my thighs, Corona

Always clean up for the touch of any kind

M-m-m-my Corona

M-m-m-my Corona

Na, na, na, na, na-na

My Corona

When you gonna get to me, get to me

It is just a matter of (time Corona)

Is it d-d-destiny, d-destiny?

Or is it just a game in my (mind, Corona?)

Always clean it up for the touch of any kind

M-m-m-m-m-m-m-my, my, my, ay, ay, woah!

M-m-m-my Corona (Corona)

M-m-m-my Corona (Corona)

M-m-m-my Corona (Corona)

M-m-m-my Corona

Oooaah, my Corona

Oooaah, my Corona

Oooaah, my Corona

Woah!!

Spock

#134 Post by Spock » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:52 am

BobJ>>>Experts predict that 70,000,000 - 150,000,000 Americans will become infected by the Coronavirus, and more than a million could die.<<<<<<

If you accept the Chinese numbers (and I don't, but the TPTB seem too) a million dead seems a bit of a reach even in a worst case scenario.

You had this thing spreading in China for several weeks before they took protective action in a very densely populated environment in a culture with little respect for personal space and they only have about 3,500 dead.

So our death rate is going to be exponentially higher than China's in what was a perfect environment for the virus to spread with a population whose lungs are weakened by heavy air pollution and with many more heavy smokers than there are here?

Now, if the Chinese hid the extent of the disease and the number of dead (and they might have)-then all bets are off.

Bob Juch

#135 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:37 am

Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:52 am
BobJ>>>Experts predict that 70,000,000 - 150,000,000 Americans will become infected by the Coronavirus, and more than a million could die.<<<<<<

If you accept the Chinese numbers (and I don't, but the TPTB seem too) a million dead seems a bit of a reach even in a worst case scenario.

You had this thing spreading in China for several weeks before they took protective action in a very densely populated environment in a culture with little respect for personal space and they only have about 3,500 dead.

So our death rate is going to be exponentially higher than China's in what was a perfect environment for the virus to spread with a population whose lungs are weakened by heavy air pollution and with many more heavy smokers than there are here?

Now, if the Chinese hid the extent of the disease and the number of dead (and they might have)-then all bets are off.
Don't compare China to us, use Italy. We're about two weeks behind Italy. I saw a chart on Facebook yesterday (which I can't find today) what matched up the timelines of us and Italy. If the projection based on that is accurate, the figures I quoted are accurate. They're still saying we have a shortage of ventilators which would increate our death rate.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#136 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:33 am

Spock wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:52 am

According to the study cited here, the worst-case scenario is more than 2 million American deaths. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Appa23

#137 Post by Appa23 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:17 pm

earendel wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:54 pm
Kentucky has decided to delay the Derby until September 5th and the presidential primary until mid-June (not that that matters).

On a personal note, I've been put on mandatory telework because I'm in two "high-risk" categories (age and diabetes). It hasn't been a pleasant experience so far - the Corps of Engineers does not have a robust VPN setup (only 10,000 lines, with a need for at least twice that many). My connection keeps dropping out and my email didn't update from 11:30 this morning until I reconnected at 6:00. For many this wouldn't be an issue but since I have to be able to get email or phone calls regarding problems that need to be resolved quickly, not getting those emails makes it hard for me to do my job, not to mention the frustration that the person with the problem experiences. We've been told that the situation should get better by April.
I was going to PM you. If you do not want to telework, you may want to discuss the policy of maximized telework versus "mandatory telework" when an employee is asymptomatic.

earendel

#138 Post by earendel » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:17 pm
earendel wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:54 pm

I was going to PM you. If you do not want to telework, you may want to discuss the policy of maximized telework versus "mandatory telework" when an employee is asymptomatic.
Thanks, but that's no longer an option. According to our District Engineer everyone is on "maximum telework" and my supervisor has said that everyone is to telework until further notice. I don't mind it, or I wouldn't if the network would support all the people who will be trying to access it. We're supposed to get an additional 10,000 VPN lines by Monday, but even that isn't enough.

What amazes me is that we're supposed to have a COOP and one would have thought that there would have been a plan to have sufficient lines available.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SpacemanSpiff

#139 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:32 pm

Unlike spring sports, it looks like the NCAA is unlikely to grant an extra year of eligibility to folks participating in winter sports that were cut short.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/A ... acLCIJI6v4
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

silverscreenselect

#140 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:37 am

A bit of a local feel-good story here in Atlanta. The Resident, which is a medical show on Fox network that films here, has donated all the medical equipment and supplies they had as props for the show to local Grady Hospital.

Bob Juch

#141 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:01 am

Amid coronavirus outbreak, drive-in theaters unexpectedly find their moment

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... oronavirus

Vandal
Director of Promos

#142 Post by Vandal » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:32 am

Thousands Of Formerly Endangered White Rhinos Flood City Streets Mere Days After Humans Quarantined Indoors

NEW YORK CITY—Letting out deep, powerful grunts that echoed throughout the area’s countless deserted storefronts, thousands of formerly endangered white rhinos flooded the streets of New York City Thursday mere days after residents were quarantined indoors. “After just a week of human isolation, this once-dying species has come back with a vengeance and is now stampeding through Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens,” said NYU Professor of Biology Jasmine Damcot, who added that the 5,000-pound animals appear to be multiplying exponentially and have been spotted sprinting through Times Square, sunning themselves on the Brooklyn Bridge, and ramming their horns into glass windows along Fifth Avenue. “Without humans in the picture, it’s been remarkable to watch these rhinos recover and quickly inhabit every abandoned subway platform and empty bodega they can find. Frankly, if it weren’t for the resurgence of Bengal tigers and polar bears on Staten Island, I think we’d be seeing a lot more of them.” At press time, the white rhino had once again been classified as an endangered species after a single New York City resident left his apartment to go pick up some paper towels at a local 7-Eleven.

via The Onion
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Vandal
Director of Promos

#143 Post by Vandal » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:42 am

Why dinosaurs disappeared:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#144 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:39 pm

Sean Payton, coach of the New Orleans Saints, has tested positive for the coronavirus.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#145 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 pm

Governor Newsom has issued a statewide stay-at-home order, effective immediately. Indefinite duration. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#146 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:16 am

Arizona has ordered all bars and restaurants in counties that have a confirmed case of COVID-19 to stop all in-store service. To-go only. Yes, that includes alcoholic beverages it bought with food. :roll:

Two more counties have had cases reported since yesterday morning, including Santa Cruz county which I would have thought would be a hot zone due to Fort Huachuca and Nogales.

jarnon

#147 Post by jarnon » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:23 am

Trump and Mnuchin have moved tax day to July 15, 2020.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#148 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:27 pm

The FAA has suspended all flights to and from the NYC area airports due to the air traffic control lacking staff. :shock:

silverscreenselect

#149 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:00 am

AT&T has canceled a planned $4 billion stock buyback plan for the second quarter and halted all other buybacks. To say the least, the optics of stock buybacks at the present time are exceedingly poor.

Bob Juch

#150 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:33 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:00 am
AT&T has canceled a planned $4 billion stock buyback plan for the second quarter and halted all other buybacks. To say the least, the optics of stock buybacks at the present time are exceedingly poor.
Forget the optics, they need that cash-on-hand.