hydroxychloroquine may help cure covid-19

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

hydroxychloroquine may help cure covid-19

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:57 pm

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/old-malar ... rus-study/

I can't get the article I want because of facebook blocks, but this with arythromycin for the lung infection is having very good results

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: hydroxychloroquine may help cure covid-19

#2 Post by Estonut » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:38 pm

ghostjmf wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:57 pm

I can't get the article I want because of facebook blocks, but this with arythromycin for the lung infection is having very good results
The antibiotic mentioned in the article is azithromycin, not erythromycin.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:29 pm

ghostjmf wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:57 pm

I'd like an explanation on how an anti-protozoa and an antibiotic are supposed to treat a virus infection. I'm not saying it's impossible, I just need convincing.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 pm

The antibiotic is for clobbering the eventual lung infection, which apparently has a becteria involved; pneumonia often does.

I couldn't grab the original paper because Facebook won't let me, so I have to keep looking on the web.

Am tired now.

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:45 pm

I found it interesting that Dr. Tony was not present at the press conference that was ostensibly about the malaria drug (but turned into many other things, few of them relevant).

It made me wonder if he was not there because he didn't want it to look like he was endorsing this narrative, one that he knows is unlikely to help the masses. A news network tonight had a doctor on who cautioned against getting too fired up about any treatment for any virus (except HIV, they mostly don't work, and the research on that one took years, and was stupid expensive). A vaccine is another thing, but that will take probably a year to do properly.

It will be great if it turns out he had a previous commitment. But unless Dr. Tony is behind a thing, I'm not buying it.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:47 pm

I think they are probably on to something about the HCQ clobbering the pneumonia, though, so that's good. That's what makes this thing different.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:35 am

The antibiotic is for clobbering the eventual lung infection, which apparently has a bacteria involved; pneumonia often does.

I couldn't grab the original paper because Facebook won't let me, so I have to keep looking on the web.

Am tired now.

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:39 am

And to any who wonder why I just don't cut & paste, well on a tablet its not "just", & in this case FB gives the link to my FB account instead of the article. Ugh.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:09 am

ghostjmf wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:39 am
And to any who winder why I just don't cut & paste, well on a tablet its not "just", & in this case FB gives the link to my FB account instead of the article. Ugh.
It should be "just" on most any tablet. What kind is yours?
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:11 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:45 pm
I found it interesting that Dr. Tony was not present at the press conference that was ostensibly about the malaria drug (but turned into many other things, few of them relevant).

It made me wonder if he was not there because he didn't want it to look like he was endorsing this narrative, one that he knows is unlikely to help the masses. A news network tonight had a doctor on who cautioned against getting too fired up about any treatment for any virus (except HIV, they mostly don't work, and the research on that one took years, and was stupid expensive). A vaccine is another thing, but that will take probably a year to do properly.

It will be great if it turns out he had a previous commitment. But unless Dr. Tony is behind a thing, I'm not buying it.
Who is Dr. Tony?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:20 am

https://www.wcvb.com/article/drug-that- ... 9/31803741#

still don't have original article, but they're using one of those drugs in Boston.

They say it reduces inflammation & may prevent virus replication.

And if Estonut wants to buy me a real computer, knock yourself out.

Make sure its really *new*; I just don't want a "previously touched" one right now.

ghostjmf

#12 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:25 am

More, this from The Guardian (British newspaper):

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... s-vaccines

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:26 am

ghostjmf wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:20 am
https://www.wcvb.com/article/drug-that- ... 9/31803741#

still don't have original article, but they're using one of those drugs in Boston.

They say it reduces inflammation & may prevent virus replication.

Make sure its really *new*; I just don't want a "previously touched" one right now.
PM me with your address and I'll send you an untouched Chromebook.

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:49 am

Not really begging, just shovelling it back up to Estonut.

Besides, I think my pals at T-Mobile, who are widely advertising "two devices to Senior Citizens for $55/month" & are currently selling me service for my *one* device at $65/month probably have a "come back whenever" sign on their door right now.

If ya can't connect...

What really worries me, since I kept my flip-phone off that contract (they say its not a contract) because that way they can only foul one thing up at a time, is that when I have to buy more minutes for said phone, still what they term a pre-paid thingie, I'll have to get their delightful phone staff, probably located in countries where Covid-19 is much worse than here, to take my credit card payment.

Its so much easier in person.

I have 4.5 hours left, but those Emergency! people keep calling me.

2 weeks ago, it was all about Green Line (that's an above-ground subway!) extension.
What streets are newly blocked off.

Well, most construction, except for keeping people & animals from falling into holes, has stopped for now.

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:07 am

Your comment about call centers made me realize that we have heard nothing at all from India about COVID-19. My clients use 100% onshore call center personnel so I can't ask them.

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:18 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:07 am
Your comment about call centers made me realize that we have heard nothing at all from India about COVID-19. My clients use 100% onshore call center personnel so I can't ask them.
Why India may be about to discover "tens of thousands" more coronavirus cases

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... d19-cases/

Apparently they have the same situation we are still having: They aren't testing much.

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:27 am

SpacemanSpiff

#18 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:39 am

Maybe I should start drinking tonic water for the (limited) quinine in it.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:18 am

As you might expect from "cures" that are highly touted by Donald Trump and Fox News and the like, the actual science behind this is highly questionable.
But the subject of Musk's tweet is not a scientific paper, rather a Google document that has since spawned a new conversation around the drug's efficacy for COVID-19 treatment. The Google document is not peer-reviewed, but it cites several peer-reviewed studies, as well as phone calls and email conversations with scientists. Despite zero evidence, it has has been reported on by other news outlets like Fox News and the English-language French news website, The Connexion, as if it is a scientific study.

This is just not the case. Still, it served as the opening act for a far larger conversation that has unfolded this week. Gregory Rigano is a co-author of the Google document. Rigano is not a scientist. He's a lawyer who has spoken about chloroquine as a COVID-19 treatment three times on Fox News this week.
https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/chloroquine

Bottom line: the actual science behind this is very skimpy, and it will be a while before we can have any degree of certainty whether this is effective. My understanding is that doctors can prescribe the drug for anything that they think it will help, even though the FDA hasn't weighed in on it. But it's always in Trump's best interest to make it look like he's taking decisive action that's resulted in a cure in just a few days, so this is the result.

This drug may be a reliable treatment. We just don't have enough information to justify the hype that's coming from the usual sources.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

ghostjmf

#20 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:59 am

For those of you who would like to read the paper I've been trying to find, if you are on Facebook go to Chris Noren's page & scroll down.

Chris is recently retired from a major chem/biochem research co.

He says the reason paper doesn't pop up on web search is that its a preprint; not yet in a journal, may not yet have gone through peer-review.

If you're my Facebook-friend you should be able to read it. Don't know if he made it public.

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:46 pm

Virus Drug Touted by Trump, Musk Can Kill With Just Two Gram Dose
The drug touted by the U.S. President Donald Trump as a possible line of treatment against the coronavirus comes with severe warnings in China and can kill in dosages as little as two grams.

China, where the deadly pathogen first emerged in December, recommended the decades-old malaria drug chloroquine to treat infected patients in guidelines issued in February after seeing encouraging results in clinical trials. But within days, it cautioned doctors and health officials about the drug’s lethal side effects and rolled back its usage.

This came after local media reported that a Wuhan Institute of Virology study found that the drug can kill an adult just dosed at twice the daily amount recommended for treatment, which is one gram.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -two-grams

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:20 pm

From today's press briefing:
Anthony Fauci wrote:The evidence you are talking about is anecdotal evidence. … We’re trying to strike a balance between making something with a potential of an effect to the American people available. At the same time, we do it under the auspices of a protocol that would give us the information to determine if it’s truly safe and effective. But the information that you are referring to specifically is anecdotal — it was not done in a controlled clinical trial — so you really can’t make any definitive statement about it.
Donald Trump wrote:I’m probably more of a fan of that — maybe than anybody. But I’m a big fan, and we’ll see what happens. ... It’s early. But I have seen things that are impressive. We’ll see. We’re gonna know soon. ... I feel good about it. That’s all it is: Just a feeling. I’m a smart guy. ...I’ve been right a lot. Let’s see what happens.
That's the problem with Trump. He won't keep his mouth shut. He's promoting his latest snake oil to keep his approval ratings up and some gullible supporters are going to listen to that and say they don't have to be too careful because there's a cure just around the corner.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#23 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Estonut wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:09 am
ghostjmf wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:39 am
And to any who winder why I just don't cut & paste, well on a tablet its not "just", & in this case FB gives the link to my FB account instead of the article. Ugh.
It should be "just" on most any tablet. What kind is yours?
ghostjmf wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:20 am
ghostjmf wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:49 am
Not really begging, just shovelling it back up to Estonut.
Shovelling what "back up?" I couldn't believe there's a tablet that has no simple cut, copy & past features. I intended to help you find out how it's done on yours. I should have known better than to try to help you.
Groucho Marx

Ritterskoop

#24 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:24 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:11 am
Ritterskoop wrote:

Who is Dr. Tony?
Dr. Anthony Fauci. I want him in charge of everything.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... hy/608554/
--------

Bob Juch

#25 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:32 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:24 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:11 am
Ritterskoop wrote:

Who is Dr. Tony?
Dr. Anthony Fauci. I want him in charge of everything.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... hy/608554/
So do I, but I've never heard anyone else call him Dr. Tony.