AARGH!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

AARGH!

#1 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:28 pm

NO MEETINGS! NO BRIDGE! NO LSWE! NO BBBL! NO LIBRARY! NO FOOTBALL! NO MARCH MADNESS! WE DON'T HAVE NETFLIX! NO BOOK CLUB! NO IN-PERSON COUNTY ASSEMBLY! NO BARS! NO RESTAURANTS, EXCEPT TAKE-OUT! NO GYM! NO TOASTMASTERS! NO BFF! (She's back east with family illness issues [not coronavirus].) NO SCRIPPS SPELLING BEE!

AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

P.S. Annie is thrilled with all this. First time in a looooooong time she got a walk two days in a row...
Last edited by SportsFan68 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

a1mamacat

Re: AARGH!

#2 Post by a1mamacat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:12 pm

I figure I will have a showcase yard by the end of this week LOL.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:14 pm

You live in Canada and you can work in your yard right now?

My yard strongly resembles a bowl of pho.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

a1mamacat

#4 Post by a1mamacat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:42 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:14 pm

Yes, my grass is about 6 inches high, the roses are budding, and the hyacinth, daffodils and tulips are up and blooming.

Google "Victoria BC" to get weather stats.

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:23 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:28 pm
WE DON'T HAVE NETFLIX! NO BOOK CLUB!
If you've got Amazon prime, you've got access to a pretty wide variety of free movies and TV shows as well. And even if not, there are bunches of free books available on Amazon. Even if you don't have Amazon or Hulu or Disney, there are free streaming movie channels like Crackle, Tubi, Vudu (has a selection of freebies) and IMDB TV. They do have commercials, but usually less than you'll find on broadcast TV.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:21 am

a1mamacat wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:42 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:14 pm

Yes, my grass is about 6 inches high, the roses are budding, and the hyacinth, daffodils and tulips are up and blooming.

Google "Victoria BC" to get weather stats.
Horrible to admit my own ignorance, but I know I'm not alone here in the American midwest in thinking that all of Canada is one colossal wall of ice until, say, June. That's only a slight exaggeration.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:58 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:21 am
Horrible to admit my own ignorance, but I know I'm not alone here in the American midwest in thinking that all of Canada is one colossal wall of ice until, say, June. That's only a slight exaggeration.
They have summer in Canada. It's called the Fourth of July.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

a1mamacat

#8 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:58 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:58 am
mrkelley23 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:21 am
They have summer in Canada. It's called the Fourth of July.
Nah, we call that day the overblown American noise day 🤣

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:09 pm

Does your library have e-books and e-audiobooks? Ours does and we can download those from home.

Meanwhile, I took advantage of the lack of distractions to finally sit down and do my taxes, using TurboTax online. Easy peasy!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#10 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:57 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:09 pm
Does your library have e-books and e-audiobooks? Ours does and we can download those from home.

Meanwhile, I took advantage of the lack of distractions to finally sit down and do my taxes, using TurboTax online. Easy peasy!
Yes, it does! Both E-books and AudioBooks! I have to come here to learn stuff about my local library.

We too are fans of TurboTax and will be forever unless they mess something up, like allowing themselves to be hacked and we lose our life savings. It took us about an hour and a half because we had misplaced one of the 1099s we needed.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:01 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:23 pm
SportsFan68 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:28 pm
WE DON'T HAVE NETFLIX! NO BOOK CLUB!
If you've got Amazon prime, you've got access to a pretty wide variety of free movies and TV shows as well. And even if not, there are bunches of free books available on Amazon. Even if you don't have Amazon or Hulu or Disney, there are free streaming movie channels like Crackle, Tubi, Vudu (has a selection of freebies) and IMDB TV. They do have commercials, but usually less than you'll find on broadcast TV.
Thanks, SSS -- I've decided to go with the Library. In their Most Popular E-books, I already found two books I want to read -- The Book Thief and Small Great Things.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:11 pm

P.S. Annie is thrilled with all this. First time in a looooooong time she got a walk two days in a row...
Three days in a row. And she knows when it's 4:30 p.m.

christie1111
11:11

#13 Post by christie1111 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:09 am

OTOH...

My grandson is home indefinitely. He is a really good kid, except that he is a 7 yo boy. I am tired just watching him bounce off the walls.

I am officially WFH but definitely not being very efficient. He did get sent home with a packet with daily tasks. They had Chromebooks for kids to take home but had a limited number. So we left them for the others and my daughter thought she needed one anyway so she went and got one.

I found this funny on evil FB...

Since all the kids are now effectively being home schooled there have been issues. Two of the students have been expelled due to fighting. The teacher has been fired for drinking on the job.

:-)
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Spock

#14 Post by Spock » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:20 pm

No surprise to anybody, but my life is as near normal here as anybody's can be.

I could be quarantined for the rest of my life and never finish all the books I have. But I am not foreseeing any extra reading time than normal as seasonal work schedules ramp up.

Farm work is starting to ramp up as the weather gets better-Mrs. Spock is still working at her office.

I have 2 college people here off for at least the next 2 weeks. This week is spring break and the next 2 weeks are internet based. I will be very surprised if they go back this year. Even if it is safe-there will be a lot of CYA among TPTB-who is going to want to be the first college admin to say come back.

Littlest Spock is off through next week with no homework. Once again, I am guessing they will be off longer.

Keeping the Spocklets busy and productive will get easier as the season progresses.

We have freezers full of beef, our own wells and sewer, and a commercial generator-so good shape there.

Noticing that it is hard to keep buns in stock-but that is normal when everybody is home anyway.

I tend to like to keep a lot of TP on hand in normal times-so we are good there.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#15 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:16 am

NO SCRIPPS SPELLING BEE!

From Associated Press:
The bee was scheduled for the week of May 24 at its longtime venue, a convention center in Oxon Hill, Maryland, just outside Washington.

Scripps said it would try to reschedule the bee for later this year but it did not commit to a new date.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:20 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:16 am
NO SCRIPPS SPELLING BEE!

From Associated Press:
The bee was scheduled for the week of May 24 at its longtime venue, a convention center in Oxon Hill, Maryland, just outside Washington.

Scripps said it would try to reschedule the bee for later this year but it did not commit to a new date.
I always assumed it took place in La Jolla/San Diego because of all of the Scripps entities here in SoCal. Until looking it up now, I didn't know that La Jolla was a winter base for E.W. Scripps, nor that he and his sister were the founders of United Press (now UPI).
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx