Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Lizbit
Four-Footer

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#76 Post by Lizbit » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:06 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:58 am
SiriusXM now has a 24/7 Coronavirus channel. :shock:
If Mr. Peter Asher was on, and he played Beatles music between the Coronavirus news stories, me and Wiki would listen.

silverscreenselect

#77 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:38 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:55 am
silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:29 am
The NASCAR race in Atlanta this weekend will go on but without any fans (usually draws 100,000 or so people).
NASCAR has had a change of heart. They have postponed the Atlanta race, and the Homestead race for next weekend.

Silly question - I wonder how many of the cancellations (March Madness, etc.) came after the accountants and lawyers looked over the contracts and realized it was cheaper just to not have an event rather than play to empty arenas?
From what I've read, many events have cancellation insurance, but they usually just cover things like weather conditions. There is a rider for communicable disease coverage, but most events don't purchase that (the communicable disease rider hasn't been available for a while since the coronavirus epidemic hit).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#78 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 pm

The Boston Marathon, usually run on Patriot's Day in April, has been postponed until September.

Six Flags is closing all its parks nationwide.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#79 Post by Vandal » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:43 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:58 am
SiriusXM now has a 24/7 Coronavirus channel. :shock:
Hey, so does this Bored!
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

SpacemanSpiff

#80 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:18 pm

Looks like the NCAA is going to grant an extra year of eligibility for those playing spring sports; they are still undecided for those who play the winter sports, however.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/A ... SYUP0_sBWA
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

christie1111
11:11

#81 Post by christie1111 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:31 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:18 pm
Looks like the NCAA is going to grant an extra year of eligibility for those playing spring sports; they are still undecided for those who play the winter sports, however.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/A ... SYUP0_sBWA
That needs a like button!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

silverscreenselect

#82 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:33 pm

The Louisiana presidential primary, scheduled for April 4, has been postponed until June. The Wyoming Democratic caucuses, also scheduled for April 4, will not have in-person caucusing.

flockofseagulls104

#83 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:35 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:33 pm
The Wyoming Democratic caucuses, also scheduled for April 4, will not have in-person caucusing.
Easier for the dead to caucus.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#84 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:45 pm

Dr. Fauci tells Americans to avoid large gatherings of people for at least the next 8-weeks, if not longer. Fauci said he isn’t sure if the United States will experience a ‘total shutdown’.

Experts predict that 70,000,000 - 150,000,000 Americans will become infected by the Coronavirus, and more than a million could die.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#85 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:22 pm

I went to the movies tonight to see The Hunt (that's a topic for another thread). This was a 24-screen theater and I arrived about 7:20. There were a total of 37 cars in the parking lot. When I talked to the manager, he said that 4 or 5 of those cars were employee cars. So, there were less than 1.5 cars of customers per screen for a prime Friday night showtime. In the auditorium where I was, there was only one other couple sitting in the very top row (I'm guessing to maintain distance from anyone else, which wasn't difficult in a 300-seat auditorium). They also had a sign at the concession stand that they had suspended their policy of free refills for large drinks or popcorn.

silverscreenselect

#86 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:36 pm

Since CBS will have a lot of free time to fill over the next three weeks instead of airing basketball tournaments, they'll be showing a Professional Bull Riders Event from Duluth, GA (an Atlanta suburb). There won't be fans in the stands, but the riders won't be keeping a social distance from the bulls (you can't catch coronavirus from a bull, although you can catch a stray horn in a bad location). No word yet on other events, but look for ESPN to show a lot of famous game replays.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 048183002/

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#87 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:04 pm

Our duplicate bridge club plays at the senior center, which is closed for the next two weeks. I'm going into withdrawal . . .

The next performance of the local symphony has been canceled, very disappointing. They were going to perform Beethoven's Coriolan Overture, which I have never heard live. I crossed Beethoven's Third off the bucket list in February. Now I want to hear it again, but it's not likely to come around again for a while.

Worst of all, the library is also closed for the next two weeks. :evil: I checked out Olive, Again for book club, but it won't last long.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MarleysGh0st

#88 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:18 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:04 pm
Worst of all, the library is also closed for the next two weeks.
Ours just closed through April 12*, following a similar announcement for all schools in the county, following Cornell's decision to cancel classes immediately, rather than waiting for Spring Break to start on March 28 (at which point, according to Tuesday's previous decision, all students are supposed to go home for the rest of the semester, which will be completed online).

*I knew there was a reason to stockpile more books on my bookshelf than I can possibly read!

silverscreenselect

#89 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:44 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:18 am
*I knew there was a reason to stockpile more books on my bookshelf than I can possibly read!
It's a good thing my Kindle doesn't run out of books and Netflix doesn't run out of shows.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#90 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:27 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
Our duplicate bridge club plays at the senior center, which is closed for the next two weeks. I'm going into withdrawal . . .

The next performance of the local symphony has been canceled, very disappointing. They were going to perform Beethoven's Coriolan Overture, which I have never heard live. I crossed Beethoven's Third off the bucket list in February. Now I want to hear it again, but it's not likely to come around again for a while.

Worst of all, the library is also closed for the next two weeks. :evil: I checked out Olive, Again for book club, but it won't last long.
We use the Libby app for library books for our Kindles...
Well, then

a1mamacat

#91 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:02 am

SportsFan68 wrote:

Check the Seattle Symphony web page. They are doing some live stream concerts.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

mellytu74

#92 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:29 am

Steve Kornacki (of MSNBC - for ID purposes only) had what I thought was a terrific idea.

CBA and TNT/TBS and ESPN could get together and show something like 100 of the best NCAA tournament games ever. Maybe start with 1974, when Brent Musberger started using the term March Madness.

You could have the upsets (UMBC, Hampton, Drexel, Princeton, 1985 Villanova), last games of legendary coaches, the Cinderella teams like Loyola Chicago and Miami of Ohio. In addition, of course, to things like the Christian Laettner shot vs Kentucky.

And, have the complete vintage chyron graphics, ads, interviews, etc.

The Owlets will, of course, induce agita.

silverscreenselect

#93 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:43 pm

Regal and AMC (and Cineplex, a Canadian theater chain) have cut ticket sales to 50% of capacity in all auditoriums to allow people to spread out in theaters. Judging by last night's crowd, they won't have anywhere near 50% in most locations.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#94 Post by Vandal » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:35 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#95 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:56 pm

They probably bought a case of Corona.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#96 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:12 pm

MSNBC wrote:European travel ban extended to include U.K. and Ireland

The White House announced Saturday that they would expand the European travel ban to include the United Kingdom and Ireland beginning midnight on Monday.

"Again, Americans in the U.K. or Ireland can come home," Vice President Mike Pence said Saturday. "Legal residents can come home."

Trump had initially said during his Oval Office address on Monday night that Ireland and the U.K. were exempt from the ban, although it was unclear why the exception was made because the virus is also present in Britain.

silverscreenselect

#97 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:57 pm

The Georgia Presidential primary, originally scheduled for March 24 has been postponed until May 19. That's the same day as the primary for Congressional and state offices. Mrs. SSS and I had planned to vote early tomorrow, so that's one trip that we'll save.

SpacemanSpiff

#98 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:06 pm

This is another one of those times when my job is going to get interesting -- specifically, the HR side.

I'll wait until the final bill becomes law (and our payroll service is good about filling us in on changing legislation), but I'll be the one who gets to implement any changes in sick leave, FMLA, etc. that comes out of pending legislation. The additional 14 days of sick pay is a given. My boss's concern is that with a staff of 50 employees and 10 apartment complexes, we can't just shut everything down, leave maintenance undone, etc.

On one hand, I'm glad that I managed to get a new benefit added to our portfolio (as part of the life insurance coverage) at last August's renewal -- short-term disability insurance, which looks like it will cover the extended circumstances (three months after the initial 14 days) that might come into play. I'll verify with the insurance carrier that it's valid under these circumstances (in case they have some weasel words that lets them out of it in cases of national emergency or such).

Bob Juch

#99 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:23 am

Map showing where coronavirus cases have been detected:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... cases.html

SpacemanSpiff

#100 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:24 am

Different kind of panic buying in my native Alabama:

https://www.al.com/coronavirus/2020/03/ ... shops.html