Fire Up the Toaster - 2020 Political Edition

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: Fire Up the Toaster - 2020 Political Edition

#76 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:10 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:34 pm

I can't see anyone in their right mind voting for Trump. Half the time, he doesn't know where or even who he is unless he is reading from a teleprompter, and even then he gets things wrong. He is way too old, bless his heart, and he should have bowed out long ago, but for the number of people completely in the tank for him willing to vote for a person suffering from senility (sorry, but it looks like it) over the guy who might actually know what he's doing .
Fixed it for ya.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#77 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:20 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:59 am
No idea why Elizabeth Warren still is in the race, let alone Amy Klobuchar.
I guess she heard you. Klobuchar has suspended her campaign and will endorse Joe Biden:

https://apnews.com/e89217f7f51b3fc3e8433e5427110c56

And I'll let Flock know right up front. I was wrong in predicting she'd stay in through tomorrow's primary. There is traditional absentee balloting in Minnesota, but no formal early voting process as in other states.

Bob Juch

#78 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:25 pm

This is taking a heavy toll on the cast of SNL.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#79 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:14 pm

I agree Biden is not the right guy (his window closed when he sat out after his son's death, which was completely understandable).

I see now that Mayor Pete did endorse anyone-but-Bernie, as did The Charlotte Observer, which I know no one else cares, but I had been waiting days to see what my hometown paper would say. I never base my vote on their endorsements, but it does add to my research, especially in local races, where they insist on interviewing everyone.

I am encouraged for my favorite, Warren, that now some of Steyer's and Pete's voters will go to her tomorrow, and get her to the 15% mark in California (I haven't looked into Texas). Her people were hoping they would come out of Super Tuesday with Bernie-Bloomberg-Warren remaining, and that is now possible.

As for VP, everyone in this race is a dumbass if they don't draft Stacey Abrams to bring in Georgia. That is a lot of votes in November for a state that is suddenly available. I could also see Kamala Harris on the ticket, but she doesn't help a Democrat win a state, as California is normally already a blue checkmark.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

silverscreenselect

#80 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:55 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:14 pm
I am encouraged for my favorite, Warren, that now some of Steyer's and Pete's voters will go to her tomorrow, and get her to the 15% mark in California (I haven't looked into Texas). Her people were hoping they would come out of Super Tuesday with Bernie-Bloomberg-Warren remaining, and that is now possible.
The one thing I can't understand in this entire campaign is why Warren has done as poorly as she has. There has to be something fundamentally wrong with her campaign. By all rights, she should at least be splitting the more liberal vote with Bernie, but he's been trouncing her every time. (An aside: I haven't donated to anyone this cycle yet, but I get emails from all the Democratic candidates. My totally unscientific recollection is that I hear far less often from Warren's campaign than from the others.)

VP will be a lot more important this time around than most, because it's almost a certainty that Biden and/or Bernie will be one-term presidents. The sitting VP will be in a great position to "carry on the mantle."

Bob Juch

#81 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:17 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:55 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:
The one thing I can't understand in this entire campaign is why Warren has done as poorly as she has. There has to be something fundamentally wrong with her campaign. By all rights, she should at least be splitting the more liberal vote with Bernie, but he's been trouncing her every time. (An aside: I haven't donated to anyone this cycle yet, but I get emails from all the Democratic candidates. My totally unscientific recollection is that I hear far less often from Warren's campaign than from the others.)

VP will be a lot more important this time around than most, because it's almost a certainty that Biden and/or Bernie will be one-term presidents. The sitting VP will be in a great position to "carry on the mantle."
I subscribe to Daily Kos and they periodically send out a poll asking who our favorite candidate is. Warren has always been #1 in their results, even today's. I think someone is asking the wrong people.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#82 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:41 pm

Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:10 pm

I can't see anyone in their right mind voting for Trump. Half the time, he doesn't know where or even who he is unless he is reading from a teleprompter, and even then he gets things wrong. He is way too old, bless his heart, and he should have bowed out long ago, but for the number of people completely in the tank for him willing to vote for a person suffering from senility (sorry, but it looks like it) over the guy who might actually know what he's doing .
Fixed it for ya.
Wow. Such wit.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#83 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:43 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
I agree Biden is not the right guy (his window closed when he sat out after his son's death, which was completely understandable).

I see now that Mayor Pete did endorse anyone-but-Bernie, as did The Charlotte Observer, which I know no one else cares, but I had been waiting days to see what my hometown paper would say. I never base my vote on their endorsements, but it does add to my research, especially in local races, where they insist on interviewing everyone.

As for VP, everyone in this race is a dumbass if they don't draft Stacey Abrams to bring in Georgia. That is a lot of votes in November for a state that is suddenly available. I could also see Kamala Harris on the ticket, but she doesn't help a Democrat win a state, as California is normally already a blue checkmark.
I agree with one thing you said: everyone in this race is a dumbass.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#84 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:46 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:49 pm
Without having read any of the stories to see what his statement was, I'm intrigued that Mayor Pete withdrew two days before Super Tuesday.

If he knows he has no shot (because his lane is the same as Biden's), fine, then go on and get out and encourage your voters to go to one person in particular. Same with Steyer - I am wondering if he is encouraging his voters to go to anyone specific (and if he will be supporting any of them financially before there is a nominee).

Possibly all of this has been answered, and I just haven't had time to read the many stories we generated tonight. I had issues with one paper's sports pages in particular, and am just now catching my breath. As long as they are overbooking their papers, I feel like I have some job security.
While Buttigieg did not overtly state who he wants people to support, he was pretty clear in his message that he still wants to make sure that there are no "down ticket" impacts now that he will not be the nominee. In other words, Biden not Bernie.

It is surprising dumbase person in 3rd place bows out before those in a more distant 4th, 5th, or 6th. No idea why Elizabeth Warren still is in the race, let alone Amy Klobuchar. (Altjhough of the remaining also-rans, it seems like Sen. Klobuchar is the one who is not still running as a vanity exercise.)

If I was to guess, I think that Buttigieg may have dropped out as a strategic move to again beat Sen. Klobuchar to the punch. They are the best (only) candidates to reach out to the states where Trump won the last election, via-a-vis "blue collar, midwestern values states", so Buttigieg makes for an interesting Veep candidate. Of course, Bernie is the one who most needs that help, and I am not sure that either Buttigieg or Klobuchar can be Veep with so many debate soundbites available.
Really, has no one in the bubble figured out that maybe the DNC made Pete a deal to help Joe? Their not gonna offer Warren a deal, and Amy is not a factor. But they really don't want Bernie to get it.

I can't see anyone in their right mind voting for Joe. Half the time, he doesn't know where or even who he is unless he is reading from a teleprompter, and even then he gets things wrong. He is way too old, bless his heart, and he should have bowed out long ago, but for the number of people with TDS willing to vote for a person suffering from senility (sorry, but it looks like it) over the guy who's doing the job.
Amy finally got her deal.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#85 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:30 pm

He is way too old, bless his heart, and he should have bowed out long ago, but for the number of people with TDS willing to vote for a person suffering from senility (sorry, but it looks like it) over the guy who's doing the job.
Unless I missed something, no one who's doing the job is actually on the ballot. For either party. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#86 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:55 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:

She's not splitting the more liberal vote with Bernie because they don't like her position that Medicare-for-all should be phased in rather than imposed all at once.

The acceptance of reality, of course, is exactly what I like about Senator Warren. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#87 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:02 pm

Appa23 wrote:
No idea why Elizabeth Warren still is in the race, let alone Amy Klobuchar. (Altjhough of the remaining also-rans, it seems like Sen. Klobuchar is the one who is not still running as a vanity exercise.)
Because it's not correct that the choices are Biden or Sanders. The choices are Biden, Sanders, or no first-ballot nominee. And in the latter case, even (perhaps especially) the candidates who are not leading the delegate count will have considerable sway over the process. But only if they have delegates to contribute. --Bob

Appa23

#88 Post by Appa23 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:03 am

I guess she should try winning a few delegates then.

jarnon

#89 Post by jarnon » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:15 am

Mayor Bloomberg has endorsed VP Biden. He can now spend his billions on defeating the GOP. The moderate cohort is fully unified.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

flockofseagulls104

#90 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:14 am

jarnon wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:15 am
Mayor Bloomberg has endorsed VP Biden. He can now spend his billions on defeating the GOP. The moderate cohort is fully unified.
Democrat quote from the past: "Let's get the money out of politics".

Vandal
Director of Promos

#91 Post by Vandal » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:31 am

Elizabeth Warren ends her presidential campaign
Elizabeth Warren is dropping out of the presidential race, a source familiar with her plans tells CNN, following another round of disappointing finishes in primary contests across the country on Super Tuesday.

The Massachusetts senator, who centered her bid on a promise to wipe out corruption in Washington, announced her decision on a staff call Thursday morning.
"I wanted you all to hear it first, and I wanted you to hear it straight from me: Today, I'm suspending our campaign for president," Warren said, according to a person on the call.
She continued, "I know that when we set out, this was not the call you ever wanted to hear. It is not the call I ever wanted to make. But I refuse to let disappointment blind me -- or you -- to what we've accomplished. We didn't reach our goal, but what we have done together -- what you have done -- has made a lasting difference. It's not the scale of the difference we wanted to make, but it matters -- and the changes will have ripples for years to come."
Warren's path to the nomination has been narrowing since the first round of voting in Iowa, where she placed third. In subsequent contests in New Hampshire and Nevada, she dropped down to fourth. In South Carolina, she came in a distant fifth.
The New York Times first reported that Warren is exiting the race.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/politics ... seO-qjmE4c
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

flockofseagulls104

#92 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:14 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:31 am
Elizabeth Warren is dropping out of the presidential race, a source familiar with her plans tells CNN, following another round of disappointing finishes in primary contests across the country on Super Tuesday.

The Massachusetts senator, who centered her bid on a promise to wipe out corruption in Washington, announced her decision on a staff call Thursday morning.
"I wanted you all to hear it first, and I wanted you to hear it straight from me: Today, I'm suspending our campaign for president," Warren said, according to a person on the call.
She continued, "I know that when we set out, this was not the call you ever wanted to hear. It is not the call I ever wanted to make. But I refuse to let disappointment blind me -- or you -- to what we've accomplished. We didn't reach our goal, but what we have done together -- what you have done -- has made a lasting difference. It's not the scale of the difference we wanted to make, but it matters -- and the changes will have ripples for years to come."
Warren's path to the nomination has been narrowing since the first round of voting in Iowa, where she placed third. In subsequent contests in New Hampshire and Nevada, she dropped down to fourth. In South Carolina, she came in a distant fifth.
Down to 2 old white guys. Geez, the Dem party is a bunch of racists. You know that's what they'd say about the repubs. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Bob Juch

#93 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:04 pm

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:14 pm
Vandal wrote:

Down to 2 old white guys. Geez, the Dem party is a bunch of racists. You know that's what they'd say about the repubs. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.
Our racists are better than your racist.

silverscreenselect

#94 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:24 pm

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:14 pm
It's interesting that Black voters, who have far more experience in dealing with actual racism than do people like you who view the world through rose-colored glasses, are going to vote for the old white Democrat over the old white Republican by a ten-to-one margin.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#95 Post by Estonut » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:01 pm

Vandal wrote:
Now, that's a good first step!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Ritterskoop

#96 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:07 pm

I read a very good piece by a black voter who explained why a lot of her voting group like Biden - he stood beside and was a follower to Obama, without having to take over and be the top guy. That meant a lot to some voters.

I'm sorry I can't find it right now to link; been traveling, and the articles flew by.

PS: Words to get us through the next few months: Senate Majority Leader Elizabeth Warren (it is now possible, and I don't know that it was, before her campaign - that's if it isn't VP Warren to Biden's P). She said they had told her early on, there is only room for one person in the moderate lane and one in the progressive lane. It's too bad folks in American presidential races don't historically do well from the smart lane.

PPS Bailey needs to be a spokesdog for Taco Bell.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#97 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:19 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:07 pm
I read a very good piece by a black voter who explained why a lot of her voting group like Biden - he stood beside and was a follower to Obama, without having to take over and be the top guy. That meant a lot to some voters.

I'm sorry I can't find it right now to link; been traveling, and the articles flew by.

PS: Words to get us through the next few months: Senate Majority Leader Elizabeth Warren (it is now possible, and I don't know that it was, before her campaign - that's if it isn't VP Warren to Biden's P). She said they had told her early on, there is only room for one person in the moderate lane and one in the progressive lane. It's too bad folks in American presidential races don't historically do well from the smart lane.

The Governor of Massachusetts is a Republican, so I'd be quite surprised if Biden chooses Senator Warren as his running mate, simply because he won't want to give up the Senate seat, even temporarily. And as the examples of Scott Brown and Doug Jones demonstrate, it might not be so temporary. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#98 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:30 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:19 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:07 pm

The Governor of Massachusetts is a Republican, so I'd be quite surprised if Biden chooses Senator Warren as his running mate, simply because he won't want to give up the Senate seat, even temporarily. And as the examples of Scott Brown and Doug Jones demonstrate, it might not be so temporary. --Bob
Aren't any of you democrats the least bit worried about the two people that are left as your presumptive candidates? Any of you even willing to address the pretty obvious fact that Biden is having cognitive issues, not to mention the ethical issues that are sure to come up if he gets nominated? Do you think he can put up a cogent defense against questions that will come at him when he actually has to defend himself and his record? Any of you willing to acknowledge that Bernie's economics just will not work, and that he has already had a heart attack and is not getting any younger? I am old enough to remember when all these kinds of things were leveled at Ronald Reagan by your party, and now it's hush hush about these issues when it's your party that is nominating the old white guy.
Just wondering what the average, everyday democrat is really thinking. Do you really hate trump so much you're actually willing to put one of these two guys in charge? Are you not embarrassed that these two are supposedly the best you got?

silverscreenselect

#99 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:30 am
Do you really hate trump so much you're actually willing to put one of these two guys in charge? Are you not embarrassed that these two are supposedly the best you got?

Coming from a party that nominated Donald Trump, that's laughable. As far as the "ethical" investigations of Biden are concerned, I know the Republicans will trot them out and they will repeat the same old conspiracy theories bereft of facts. And nobody cares except for the people who were never going to vote for Biden or any Democrat in the first place.

Trump has more than his share of cognitive and personality issues as well, and there's one huge difference between Trump and Biden. People like Joe Biden. They don't like Trump. They didn't like Hillary. I fully expect Biden will be a one-term president, and that's why I'm interested to see who he picks as a VP. And as long as he picks someone the people feel reasonably comfortable with, I don't think there's a problem.

flockofseagulls104

#100 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:18 pm

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:24 pm
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:30 am
Do you really hate trump so much you're actually willing to put one of these two guys in charge? Are you not embarrassed that these two are supposedly the best you got?

Coming from a party that nominated Donald Trump, that's laughable. As far as the "ethical" investigations of Biden are concerned, I know the Republicans will trot them out and they will repeat the same old conspiracy theories bereft of facts. And nobody cares except for the people who were never going to vote for Biden or any Democrat in the first place.

Trump has more than his share of cognitive and personality issues as well, and there's one huge difference between Trump and Biden. People like Joe Biden. They don't like Trump. They didn't like Hillary. I fully expect Biden will be a one-term president, and that's why I'm interested to see who he picks as a VP. And as long as he picks someone the people feel reasonably comfortable with, I don't think there's a problem.
It's not laughable. I still don't see the 'end of civilization' that nancy, and apparently you, see. Objectively (if that's something you can pretend to be), he has been an adequate president, far from the best and far from the worst. It just seems to me that EVERYTHING that has to do with trump, to you, is an EXISTENTIAL CRISIS and it has never been that bad in the history of the world. That is not a credible position to take.

No, I don't like Joe Biden, and when all the lies he's told over the years come out in plain view, and his less than stellar record comes out for all to see, I think there will be a lot more people that don't like him. He used to have a reasonably sharp mind and was on the wrong side of most major issues, now he doesn't have the sharp mind to defend his shortcomings with. He's run for president how many times, and never got even close. I think it's telling that with his cognitive problems and his age, he might just get the nomination this time. Just what is it he stands for? I think he stands for the same thing hillary did. He thinks its his turn.

So I assume the answer to my question is a big I Hate Trump That Much from you.