13th Annual Boneys

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

13th Annual Boneys

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:23 am

The glitz!
The glamour!
The spectacle!
The parade of A-List celebrities walking the Red Carpet!

Yeah, you'll find none of that here, these are the Boney awards for my favorite albums and songs for the year 2019.
Let's start with the albums...

10. TITANIC RISING-WEYES BLOOD

Natalie Mering is Weyes Blood..giving us a lush, progressive album that brings easy comparisons to Renaissance
and Enya. Vocally, she bears a striking similarity to Aimee Mann. This is an excellent record to, as we used to
say in ancient times, "mellow out to".

Audio link:

https://weyesblood.bandcamp.com/album/titanic-rising

9. THIRD DEGREE-FLYING COLORS

As long as we're in the progressive rock wing, let's stay for this, the third album from the gathering of musicians
known as Flying Colors. Featuring past and present members from, among other bands, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, and
Deep Purple, you'll hear traces of those and many other well known artists of that genre.

Audio link:

https://flyingcolors.bandcamp.com/album/third-degree

8. THE LAST BEES (EP)-THE LAST BEES

OK, I'm cheating here...this is not an ALBUM, per se, it is a 6-song EP that clocks in at right around 15 minutes total.
So yeah, not technically an album. But I'll be darned if I let this wonderful tribute to the sounds of the early Beatles
and their British contemporaries go unrecognized...it's that good.

7. FROM OUT OF NOWHERE-JEFF LYNNE'S ELO

Yeah, I know this album will have its detractors...and I know what they will say-"we've heard this all before, it's the same
old Lynne formula, etc. etc.". Maybe so, but I'm such a fan of how he puts a song together that anytime he puts out a record,
it's a reason to celebrate. A superior pop craftsman.

6. LET'S ROCK-THE BLACK KEYS

I've never been a great fan of these guys, other than a song or two, but this album kinda knocked me out. It's not the
so-called "Classic Rock" that I grew up on, I suppose, but it IS rock, lots of lowdown and dirty rhythms and fired-up
vocals. Considering the bulk of music that comes out these days, I'll take my rock any way I can get it.

5. SUMMER OF SORCERY-LITTLE STEVEN AND THE DISCIPLES OF SOUL

The man keeps busy. In addition to his years of service as Bruce Springsteen's second-in-command, he's had a major role
in The Sopranos, hosted his own syndicated radio show, and fronted his own band. This album right here, ladies and gents,
is a party record, make no mistake about it. As you would expect, it has that "Jersey Shore sound" as well as that of the
early 60's..artists like Sam Cooke and the Phil Spector stable. No moping around with this one on the stereo. Sorta feels
like the songs should come in the form of a stack of 45's on the hi-fi.

4. TWO TRACK MIND-TODD HERFINDAL

This one came out of nowhere and hit me big time. Nothing fancy, folks. Just your basic pop/rock that sounds like
the kind of heartland rock you'd expect from someone like John Mellencamp rather than from an artist from L.A... Wherever
the source, it's a collection of strong, no frills tunes that add up to a good listening experience.

Audio link:

https://toddherfindal.bandcamp.com/

3. ALL THE FEELS-FITZ AND THE TANTRUMS

After releasing several albums which had some good tunes but not enough to keep me interested throughout, they hit the
jackpot, to my ears, anyway, with this one. Full of spirited, rousing anthems with huge, singalong choruses. Sponsors
seem to like them, too, as it seems quite a few of their songs get used for TV ads. Don't think that'll convince me to
buy the products, but I'm sure sold on this record.

2. ECHO IN THE CANYON-SOUNDTRACK

The soundtrack to the documentary film about the Laurel Canyon music scene, the focal point of the "California sound" of
the 60's and early 70's. The film, and soundtrack, features performances by Jakob Dylan with a host of guest artists including
Neil Young, Norah Jones, Eric Clapton, Stephen Stills, Beck, and others. Some terrific covers here of tunes by The Byrds,
Buffalo Springfield, The Association, The Beach Boys, Mamas and Papas and more. There's even a knockout treatment of a Monkees song.
I quite enjoyed the movie AND the soundtrack.

1. WESTERN STARS-BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

This is not your typical Boss record. There are no "Rosalitas", "Glory Days", or "Born To Runs" here, nor are there bleak, bare-bones
tracks like those found on "Nebraska" or "The Ghost Of Tom Joad". What we have here is what I call "Marlboro Country music"..that is,
vast, sweeping orchestral, cinematic music that evoke the image of that Marlboro Man taking a horsey-ride on that wide open range. A
movie that features Springsteen playing the songs from the album to an intimate gathering in a huge barn on his property, with a filmed
narrative setting up each song, helped tie me to the album even more. With one notable exception, no songs from this record made my Top
80 for the year. This was definitely a "sum of its parts" scenario. Sorry, Bruce detractors (and I know you're out there), but this was
easily the album that resonated with me the most in 2019.

That takes care of the albums...now on to my 80 favorite songs of last year...
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: 13th Annual Boneys

#2 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:39 am

Here are the Boney awards for my favorite SONGS of the year 2019.
We start off the countdown with a very unusual remake. Yet, it's not even the weirdest remake on the list..that comes
later...

80. THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE-ALAN PARSONS w/STEVE HACKETT
Album: The Secret

For most of us, the first exposure to this particular piece of music came in the form of a segment in the 1940 Disney
film Fantasia featuring the iconic image of Mickey Mouse in a sorcerer's hat. For this interpretation of the piece,
Producer/Engineer extraordinaire Parsons is joined by former Genesis guitarist Hackett for a fun little romp. Very cool.

79. WHITE COLLAR-FASTBALL
Album: The Help Machine

Fastball struck it big in 1998 with the album All The Pain Money Can Buy, especially with the single "The Way".
They've since released 5 albums to very little notice. This particular tune, however, deserves some attention in my
opinion. It's a midtempo number with strong strains of The Beatles, the Beatles-disciples Oasis, and even a bit of
Procol Harum.

78. FOOLISH HEART-DAVE MOLTER
Album: Foolish Heart (EP)

70'S-type pop that reminds me a lot of Dave Mason.

77. START THE DANCE-ANDREW LEAHEY & THE HOMESTEAD
Album: Airwaves

Meat and potatoes Heartland rock.

76. SHE'S A LITTLE BIT OFF-WARRENSCOTT BAND
ALBUM: The New Deal

For those of you who miss the "good guy rock" of Huey Lewis and The News, this is for you. It doesn't take a very
wide stretch of the imagination to imagine Mr. Lewis crooning this one. By the way, Huey just released his first
album in a while, and sad to say, this song sounds better to me than anything on Huey's new record.

75. CANNONBALL-THE APRIL FAMILY
Album: Cannonball - An EP of Others' Songs

From a companion digital-only EP that came with the purchase of their album House of Cards, this is a beautiful
cover of a Brandi Carlile tune. Lovely harmonies accompanying a from-the-heart lead vocal.

74. I NEED HELP!-FITZ AND THE TANTRUMS
Album: All The Feels

One of two artists to land 3 songs on my countdown, a typically bouncy, joyful sounding tune with a reminder
that everyone can use a helping hand now and then. It's already being used for a tv commercial.

73. MAYBE BABY-BUDDY HOLLY w/THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA
Album: True Love Ways

Another in the series of albums taking old vocal tracks and applying a fresh coat of paint in the form of a
symphony orchestra. It follows the treatment given to Roy Orbison, Elvis, and the Beach Boys. Unfortunately,
I feel it's the weakest of the bunch. This track is an exception, as it gives an unexpected kick to a great
Holly tune.

72. CAUGHT ON THE OUTSIDE-PARTING LINES
Album: See You On The Other Sode

Southern California duo...an easygoing uptempo number with a catchy falsetto chorus that brings to mind a
Christine McVie type Fleetwood Mac song.

71. TRY-SMALLTOWN POETS
Album: Try (EP)

Tight little inoffensive number that settles into a nice little pocket with a nice "whaddya got to lose" message.

70. TIME OF OUR LIFE-JEFF LYNNE'S ELO
Album: From Out Of Nowhere

Yeah, you get the impression that Lynne can write these kind of songs in his sleep, but he's such an expert tunesmith
that I really don't care. This one, about his Wembley Stadium gig, is a textbook ELO rocker...and I love it,
originality be damned.

69. WISH YOU WERE HERE-MARIANNAS TRENCH
Album: Phantoms

This band has appeared over the years in a number of my countdowns. Modern pop with intricate Queen-like harmonies.

68. BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY-BOMBADIL
Album: Beautiful Country

A pretty slice of Americana from this North Carolina act. A perfect song to accompany a drive down a rural highway on
a sunny day.

67. FIRE WALK WITH ME-THE BLACK KEYS
Album: Let's Rock!

The other act with 3 songs on my countdown, The first one on the list is this down 'n dirty groove.

66. FEELS LIKE THE FIRST TIME-JAMES MORRISON
Album: You're Stronger Than You Know

British singer applies his gritty, soulful voice to this terrific 60's R & B styled track.

65. LOST IN THE WOODS-WEEZER
Album: Frozen II

I could've just as easily selected the version sung by Jonathan Groff in his character role of Kristoff (his
multiple background vocals also serve in the film as the chorus of reindeer that accompany him!), as it is just as
nice, but I went with the version by Weezer that plays over the end credits because...well, it's Weezer doing Disney...

64. HAPPY-P!NK
Album: Hurts 2B Human

Can't say I'm a HUGE fan, but she has come up with a few songs that I HAVE quite liked. Add this pretty midtempo
ballad to that list.

63. JANUARY-WAYNE HAMMONDS w/MICHAEL CARPENTER
Album: non-digital single

In the USA, Pilot was a one-hit wonder with "Magic" (you know..."Oh-ho-ho, it's magic, you know..never believe
it's not so"..admit it, you started singing...). Not so in other countries. In particular,"January" hit #1 in Australia,
Ireland, and England. So people who were buying records in those countries back in the 70's should definitely recognize
the song in this bright and sunny remake.

62. NEVER IN THIS HOUSE-BRUCE HORNSBY w/yMUSIC
Album: Absolute Zero

Hornsby is never afraid to stretch his musical boundaries, which makes him fascinating to me. His latest album is challenging
to say the least, but this song is more accessible than most on the record. Its lyrics are sad yet holding on to a sliver
of optimism. The instrumentation fits perfectly.

61. I'M NOT READY FOR THIS-BRYAN ESTEPA
Album: Sometimes I Just Don't Know

This Australian artist has getting better and better with each release. He lands on the easier side of Power Pop
on this track...a most excellent melodic sense at work here.

Coming up...Entries 60-41...
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#3 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:42 am

uhhh...folks, I hate to do this, but I have to take a break for 2-3 hours...nothing dramatic, just something that needs my attention. I shall return with songs 60-1.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:55 am

I somehow ended up with two copies of the Jeff Lynne disc, but other than that, this is mostly all new to me. I so LOVE the Boney Awards.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:59 pm

OK, that took a bit longer than expected, but I'm ready to carry on now.

Onward and Upward!!

60. EVERYDAY-WEYES BLOOD
Album: Titanic Rising

Kicking off our next batch of countdown entries is this jaunty tune by Weyes Blood, aka Natalie Mering.
Obvious comparisons to Enya will be made, although that is much more evident on other tunes from the
album than on this particular track, in which I hear a lot of Aimee Mann and a touch of Joni Mitchell.
The video is a tribute to slasher films, which is at total odds with the happy-go-lucky sound of the tune,
but whatever. Hopefully you're not squeamish at the sight of fake blood. If so, just minimize your window and
listen....

59. RAINCOAT IN THE RIVER-NICK LOWE
Album: Love Starvation/Trombone

The one-time New Waver then Power Popster then Rockabilly artist has spent a lot of time lately in the
fields of Country and Americana. Here, accompanied by the group Los Straitjackets, he puts a nice spin on
an obscure tune recorded in the 60's by both Sammy Turner and Rick Nelson.

58. TELL ME LIES-THE BLACK KEYS

Swampwater voodoo rock. Seriously, this is music to stick pins into a voodoo doll by. Delightfully
nasty groove driving this one.

57. STILL THE GOOD OLD DAYS-SHERYL CROW w/JOE WALSH
Album: Threads

From an album of duets that Crow stated would be her last full album comes this absolutely delightful
collaboration. Crow and Walsh playfully trade verses over textbook Walsh guitar..and of course we get an
equally classic Joe solo. The lyrics celebrate all that makes a lived-in relationship preferable to the alternative.

56. ALIVE-BIG BIG TRAIN
Album: Grand Tour

English progressive rock band. You'll hear echoes of Genesis, Moody Blues and Spock's Beard (not surprising
considering the former drummer for that band is now behind the kit for THIS one). This one is a positive, uplifting
piece that is both progressive AND accessible.

55. LONDON STATION-OSCAR TANGO
Album: Choice Morsels (EP)

From Toronto comes this propulsive pop tune with a noticable Paul McCartney flavor.

54. PORCELAIN HEART-ARMCHAIR ORACLES
Album: Caught By Light

Classic guitar-driven pop with hushed vocals by this group from Norway...yes there are musicians in Norway
other than A'ha...

53. LOVE TOO MUCH-KEANE
Album: Cause And Effect

Another memorable melody from this English band, with the kind of big, swooping chorus they're so adept at.

52. FRANK SINATRA'S PARTY-PAUL McCARTNEY
Album: Egypt Station (Explorer's Edition)

It has been put forth on numerous occasions that Sir Paul is a rather poor judge of his own material,
as he often leaves tracks off his albums (he always records more songs for each project than can be used) that are
considered by many to be superior to some of the ones that actually made the cut. In my opinion that is definitely
the case here. Macca's album Egypt Station was originally released in 2018 but was reissued twice in 2019
with additional tracks in a multi-disc set. This is one of the "new tracks" made available in '19. It is in many
ways classic McCartney, full of his whimsical wordplay and singalong pop sensibilities. Don't get me wrong, I liked
"Egypt Station", but I can think of at least half a dozen tunes on that album that could've easily been replaced by
this one. Oh, and by the way, there's another album reject coming up later in this countdown...and it may be better
than ANYTHING on the original album.

51. CRUSADE-THE LAST BEES
Album: The Last Bees (EP)

This perfectly captures the sound of those famous lads from Liverpool just as the world was falling under their
spell (1963-64 in other words). From the harmonies to the sprightly harmonica, this has GOT to put a smile on your
face if you have a soft spot for those musical days.

50. MOVEMENT-HOZIER
Album: Wasteland, Baby!

The guy who hit it big a couple of years ago with "Take Me To Church" returns with this slowly simmering
tune that carries,appropriately, a strong Gospel-type sound.

49. QUESTIONS-JAKOB DYLAN w/ERIC CLAPTON and STEPHEN STILLS
Album: Echo In The Canyon Soundtrack

From the documentary on the "Laurel Canyon" sound comes this remake of the Buffalo Springfield song. If you don't recall
ever hearing the original Springfield recording but find it familiar nonetheless, it's probably because Stills reused it for
the second half of the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young classic "Carry On". Clapton and Stills supply the guitar work heard here.

48. LOVE IS LOVE-GRACE POTTER
Album: Daylight

A soulful power ballad from this knockout vocalist/musician.

47. DO YOU ONE BETTER-MIKE ADAMS AT HIS HONEST WEIGHT
Album: There Is No Feeling Better

A weird artist moniker, I'll give you that. But don't let that scare you off. This fast-paced but gentle song is sweetened
(bittersweetened?) by a few trembling strings and a very memorable chorus. Someone compared it to The Decemberists, which
is a reasonable comparison. I also hear some shades of Ben Folds myself.

46. ZOMBIE BASTARDS-WEEZER
Album: Weezer (Black Album)

When a song starts out with the line "Die, Die, you zombie bastards", how can you go wrong..especially when matched up with
such a happy sounding melody? That's Weezer in a nutshell.

45. HIGHWOMEN-THE HIGHWOMEN
Album: The Highwomen

The Highwaymen were a country music "supergroup" consisting of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and Kris
Kristofferson. They released 3 albums and their first one contained the #1 Country hit, "Highwayman". Fast forward to 2019,
and we have a FEMALE Country supergroup, featuring Brandi Carlile, Maren Morris, Natalie Hemby, and Amanda Shires. They've
reworked "Highwayman" into "Highwomen", with more fitting lyrics, gender-wise. I find it as powerful as the original.

44. STRENGTHEN WHAT REMAINS-TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND
Album: Signs

Normally a band known for its blues/rock output, they serve a changeup here with a beautiful track complete with a lovely
string arrangement. Short but extremely sweet.

43. THE START OF BEING ALONE-MICHAEL CARPENTER
Album: none-digital track only

He's categorized this as "Alternate Country" but if you can't hear Tom Petty's influence blasting through the speakers,
then I have to assume you've never heard Tom Petty. Whatever category you want to put it in, Mr. Carpenter's gift
for melody remains well intact.

42. FLYING BLIND-SHERYL CROW w/JAMES TAYLOR
Album: Threads

A second entry on our countdown from Crow's album of duets is a pleasant, easygoing tune..and who better to collaborate on
such a song than the pleasant, easygoing J.T.?

41. LONG WAY HOME-DURAND JONES AND THE INDICATIONS
Album: American Love Call

Late 60's/Early 70's-style soul, the kind that was all over Top 40 radio back in those days. This would've sounded good
on the ol' car radio back then. Hell, it would still sound good on a road trip today as far as I'm concerned.

Well, we're now halfway through..2019's Top 40 is next....
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:29 pm

To the Top 40 we go....

40. LA VIE EN ROSE-LUCY DACUS
Album: 2019

Next up on my countdown of favorite songs from 2019 is a cover of a song originally made famous by Edith Piaf.

THAT is a sentence I CERTAINLY did not foresee writing several months ago. And yet there you are. What may be the weirdest
cover to ever make a year-end list for me. It's a thoroughly modern update of the classic and despite the significant,
shall we say, spin on the original, Dacus nevertheless nails the clash between the optimism of the lyrics (the title translates
to "life in pink", basically meaning looking through rose colored glasses), with the sad sounding melody, which would seem
to imply that things in this hoped-for romance might not turn out so well.

39. MIRACLE-ALAN PARSONS w/JASON MRAZ
Album: The Secret

Parsons recruits the "I'm Yours" singer to handle the vocal chores on this nice pop/progressive track that is very similar in
feel to the Parsons classic "Eye In The Sky".

38. NO MONEY-THE JELLYBRICKS
Album: Some Kind Of Lucky

The veteran power-pop unit scores big with me on this lively little number. Shades of The Romantics and of
course the obligatory 60's vibe. Clap your hands and stamp your feet, y'all!

37. SHE'S A CHEMICAL-TODD HERFINDAL
Album: Two Track Mind

This guy took me by surprise with his 2019 album Two Track Mind. Lots of good tunes to be found there, and this
is one of my favorites. A good ol' no frills piece of pop-rock with just a little bit of country seasoning.

36. LOVE LETTER-FLYING COLORS
Album: Third Degree

A supergroup of sorts, including past and present members of bands like Deep Purple, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard,
and Dixie Dregs. It's mostly music in a melodic progressive vein. This track is the most pop oriented one on the album.
It's got harmonies that are like a gathering of Queen and The Beach Boys, and a "Penny Lane"-type rhythm.

35. BRINGS MY WHOLE DAY DOWN-DAVE COPE AND THE SASS
Album: Dave Cope and The Sass

Lovely midtempo number. He reminds me of Gerry Rafferty on the chorus, which has the type of killer falsetto hook that I
always seem to fall for.

34. SALAD DAYS-SLUMBERJET
Album: World Of Sound

Piano and drums drive this song steadily forward. The melody keeps me interested. The instrumentation has a bit of
a psychedelic vibe as well.

33. FADE-DOUG TUTTLE
Album: Dream Road

A hazy, mellow track with a guitar hook that's simple but doesn't let go. His highly effective vocal sounds as if he
has not entirely woken up from a dream.

32. SPARKLE-the boys with the perpetual nervousness
Album: Dead Calm

A duo from Spain, this features gentle vocals over jangly guitars (think The Byrds).

31. A LOVE THAT NEVER DIES-THE NEAL MORSE BAND
Album: The Great Adventure

In all honesty, I don't listen to a lot of "Christian Rock". Now and then something shows up on my radar, but I usually
don't find most of what I HAVE heard all that interesting musically, especially since it seems the artist is more
focused on driving home the message lyrically than musically. Neal Morse, however, does not fit that description. I
knew him from the progressive band Spock's Beard. He left that band after being born again, as he did not want his newfound
beliefs to impose themselves upon the other band members nor restrict his ability to express his feelings. He has reunited
with them on occasion for a concert or two. He also has been a part of other bands, including Flying Colors, who we heard
from a few spots ago at #36, and has recorded songs both sacred and secular, many of which I have quite liked.
The song here at #31 is lyrically religious in nature. Musically, it is epic, stirring and downright beautiful.

30. FROM OUT OF NOWHERE-JEFF LYNNE'S ELO
Album: From Out Of Nowhere

Jeff Lynne is, like Paul McCartney, a master songwriter who can still whip up a terrific tune even after all these years.
Some folks just have a gift that defies explanation.

29. IF YOUR MAMA ONLY KNEW-DAVE COPE AND THE SASS
Album: Dave Cope And The Sass

We heard from them at #35, and they're back again, this time with something a lot more lively. To me, it harkens back to
the first half of the 70's, when this type of tune was all over AM Radio.

28. THIS GIRL-THE APRIL FAMILY
Album: Cannonball (EP)

This is a cover of a song originally done by an Australian R & B outfit called Cookin' On 3 Burners, who I had never heard
of before researching this tune. The April Family, also from Australia, put a decidedly different spin on it. I like the
original...I LOVE the cover, which in this version has a laid back, banjos and guitars on the front porch, lazy, sunny Sunday
afternoon type of feel yo it. Kylie Whitney's vocal is perfection.

27. BRIGHTER KIND OF LOVE-JAMES MORRISON
Album: You're Stronger Than You Know

Another gem from this British soul singer.

26. SHINE A LITTLE LIGHT-THE BLACK KEYS

The 3rd of their 3 entries on my list. This should hit the spot whether you're a rocker, a dancer, or both. At the very
least it should inspire a fist in the air or two...

25. BIG SKY-COLLECTIVE SOUL
Album: Blood

If Collective Soul puts out an album, chances are pretty darn good that at least one song is going to end up on my year-end
list. This time out, there are two. Here's the first. Verses with a drum cadence punctuated by guitars lead to a big melodic
chorus of the kind that I've come to expect from them.

24. THE WORST IN ME-ROB THOMAS
Album: Chip Tooth Smile

The Matchbox Twenty vocalist on his own. A good-natured melody set to a catchy rhythm.

23. A LETTER TO JOSEPHINE-BOB OF THE POPS
Album: Bob Of The Pops Vol. 4

A remake of a very obscure tune from 1969 by a group called The Haystack, which featured a vocalist by the name of
Tony Burrows, who sang lead on records credited to First Class (Beach Baby), White Plains (My Baby Loves Lovin'), Edison
Lighthouse (Love Grows Where Rosemary Goes), Brotherhood Of Man (United We Stand), and The Pipkins (Gimme Dat Ding).
Obviously A Letter To Josephine was not as successful as those records...heck, I'd never heard of it myself....but this cover
is a nice nostalgic blast from the past, with echoes of groups like The Association.

I don't have a video link, so here's an audio one.

https://boryngbison.bandcamp.com/track/ ... -r-alquist

22. ...BABY ONE MORE TIME-DOWNSTATE DARLINGS
Album: none (digital track)

Not a fan of the original, but I loved the cover by the Power Pop band Fountains Of Wayne, and now this funky treatment as
well. Just tells me that the song itself is pretty good in the right hands.

21. BOUND FOR THE SUN-TODD HERFINDAL
Album: Two Track Mind

Holy smokes does this sound like a Del Shannon song! It could slide right in with Runaway, Hats Off To Larry, and Keep Searchin'
and noone would be the wiser...well, other than the difference in recording quality between the early 60's and 2019, of course.
Stylistically, it's a dead ringer for a Del tune.

The big guns are coming up next...
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:05 pm

Into the home stretch:

20. CLOSE THE DOOR-the boys with the perpetual nervousness
Album: Dead Calm

The boys with the weird name appear a second time with another understated slice of Byrdsian jangle pop pie.
This slice tastes even sweeter than the one we heard earlier on the countdown.

19. THE FINAL STING-THE LAST BEES
Album: The Last Bees (EP)

Also returning for a second appearance on my list is this Beatles-channelling combo. There's no mistaking it, this is
very reminiscent of "Things We Said Today", albeit with sadder lyrics. It is pretty darn gorgeous, however.

18. HOW GLAD I AM-CHRISSIE HYNDE
Album: Valve Bone Woe

The Pretenders frontwoman joins the ever-lengthening list of rock artists to release an album of cover tunes, but
unlike most of those other records, this eschews the typical "Great American Songbook" in favor of, for the most part,
some jazz classics. The material takes a couple of sidetrips into the realms of pop/rock and Broadway, but the album
recasts Hynde as a jazz-based torch singer. It doesn't always work, but I really like her interpretation of this Nancy Wilson
(no, not the guitar-playing sister from Heart) classic.

17. RIGHT AS RAIN-COLLECTIVE SOUL
Album: Blood

How do they do it? Dunno, but they've been doing it for years now. They leave many chords on the unemployment line, but they
arrange the few they do give work to into a song that's both familar yet utterly fresh and appealing. This one ranks with
some of their best rockers.

16. SLEEPWALKER-OF MONSTERS AND MEN
Album: Fever Dream

A shimmery bit of dreamy pop. The vocals are quite lovely.

15. I'M GONNA LOVE ME AGAIN-ELTON JOHN AND TARON EDGERTON
Album: Rocketman-Music From The Motion Picture

The duet between the original and the actor who plays him in the movie. It's the rousing declaration of self-worth that plays
over the closing credits and won the Oscar a few weeks ago for Best Original Song. Well-deserved, in my opinion, especially
once you've seen the movie. This song encapsulates the movie quite sufficiently.

14. ALL THE FEELS-FITZ AND THE TANTRUMS

Quite hard to stay still in my seat while listening. Definitely gets the ol' butt a-wiggling. Sorry for that visual....

13. GROW OLD WITH ME-RINGO STARR
Album: What's My Name

This has been done numerous times..it first surfaced as an unpolished piano and vocal demo on the posthumous John Lennon album
"Milk And Honey". Then George Martin added a beautiful string arrangement in a gussied-up version for the "Lennon Anthology"
Box Set. Mary Chapin Carpenter also did a nice recording of it. And Glen Campbell did a truly wonderful version on his "Meet
Glen Campbell" album. Now, Ringo puts his stamp on his old Beatle bandmate's tune, which borrows its first line from poet
Robert Browning. He's assisted by the other surviving member of the gang, Sir Paul McCartney, on bass and background vocals
(although you really have to listen closely to hear those vocals). I have loved every version of this song, but this one is special.
Perhaps it's because this sweet, simple, heartfelt song is being sung by sweet, simple, heartfelt Sir Ringo.

12. HACKENSACK-JOHNATHAN PUSHKAR
Album: Strighten Up

Most of Pushkar's album is early British Invasion pop-inspired. But everything about this tracks screams Fountains Of Wayne. For
anyone who knows and misses that band, this song may provide a musical Band-Aid for your boo boo. Seriously, everything from the
arrangement to the lead vocal is a dead ringer for FoW.

11. ONE MILLION GUITARS-CASSETTES
Album: Wild Heart

Starts as a quiet piano ballad with a killer falsetto hook, builds to a mosh-pit workout while retaining that killer falsetto hook.

10. I DARE YOU-THE REGRETTES
Album: How Do You Love?

Put The Go-Go's, Katrina and The Waves, and The Strokes in a blender. Mix well. Serve this song. Watch your head nod up and down. Repeat.

9. SEISMIC-ARMY NAVY
Album: none (digital single)

A terrific little Modern Pop earworm. As Jeff Lynne once said..er...sang, I can't get it out of my head. But I'm not complaining.

8. IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU-SARA BAREILLES
Album: Amidst The Chaos

Carole King would be proud to have written this, it would definitely have been right at home on "Tapestry". EXCELLENT vocal.

7. HOME TONIGHT-PAUL MCCARTNEY
Album: none (Digital Single)

A while back in this countdown, I discussed the relative merit of songs left off Sir Paul's albums vs. songs that survived the
cuts. Overall, there were more positives than negatives with his 2018 album "Egypt Station"..but there were a few tunes that did
absolutely nothing for me. And after hearing the digital single of two more rejects from the "Egypt" sessions, I am again
scratching my head in bewilderment. I actually think I may like this song better than ANYTHING on the originally-released
album. It's very close to the style and feel of his 80's hit "Take It Away", with a nice bass line that brings to mind the one
from the "Band On The Run" track "Mrs. Vanderbilt".

6. SHE-JAKOB DYLAN w/JOSH HOMME
Album: Echo In The Canyon Soundtrack

Another track from the Rock Doc gives us a remake of a cut from The Monkees' second album. Bob's offspring pairs with the Queens Of The
Stone Age frontman/Eagles Of Death Metal co-founder to put a more edgy spin on the tune.

5. BASEMENT-FITZ AND THE TANTRUMS

The highest-placing tune out of three on the list by this group. They did very well on my list. I'm SURE they'd be thrilled if they
knew (here's the part where everyone reading this rolls their eyes lol). This one's made to sing along to.

4. LOVE AGAIN-LITTLE STEVEN AND THE DISCIPLES OF SOUL
Album: Summer Of Sorcery

Bruce Springsteen's right hand man doesn't stray very far from The Boss' playbook here, although it's even closer to the DNA of
his fellow Jersey Boys Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes. I can SO hear Sam Cooke singing this one. On the subject of Springsteen,
here's a spoiler alert/warning for you Bruce haters...brace yourselves...

3. 96 TEARS-THE DOUGHBOYS
Album: Running For Covers

While it would not seem possible, this remake of the 60's garage band classic is even more raw and full of attitude than the original,
trading that cheesy Vox Continental organ in for some flailing guitars.

Well, this stinks. I cannot find a You Tube video OR a full-length audio link. Unfortunately this means I have to settle for a 30-second
soundbite. I suppose I could've just taken this off my list and noone would be the wiser, but damn, this is #3!!! I just can't do it..I
like it that much. If you are intrigued by the soundbite, you can find it on Spotify, iTunes, GooglePlay, etc. if you have any of those.
My apologies for the inconvenience.

https://www.amazon.com/96-Tears/dp/B07S78T6DC

2. HARMONY HALL-VAMPIRE WEEKEND
Album: Father Of The Bride

I've liked a song by them here and there, but nothing has really made me take serious notice..until this song. It kicks off
with a terrific guitar lick and leads into a immensely catchy chorus that carries a bit of a Caribbean vibe. In a perfect
world, this would've been a massive hit.. it did place in the Top Ten on the U.S. Alternative and Rock charts, but that's it.

Now...my favorite song of 2019...drumroll, please..

1. THERE GOES MY MIRACLE-BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
Album: Western Stars

Yup, Springsteen takes both Album of the Year AND Song of the Year for me. This will not endear me to some of my Springsteen-hating friends,
but nevertheless nothing came close to hitting a chord with me like this epic, sweeping ballad. I find the melody achingly stunning,
with the instrumentation to match. It's a bit of a departure stylistically for The Boss, but I love this song.

And there you have it, my favorite songs of 2019. As always, I hope you found some things here to like.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

kroxquo

#8 Post by kroxquo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:42 am

"76. SHE'S A LITTLE BIT OFF-WARRENSCOTT BAND
ALBUM: The New Deal

For those of you who miss the "good guy rock" of Huey Lewis and The News, this is for you. It doesn't take a very
wide stretch of the imagination to imagine Mr. Lewis crooning this one. By the way, Huey just released his first
album in a while, and sad to say, this song sounds better to me than anything on Huey's new record."

I'm hearing more than a little bit of They Might Be Giants on this one - lyrically and vocally.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams