Sometimes I don't like my job...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SpacemanSpiff

Sometimes I don't like my job...

#1 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:55 pm

... not for the usual reasons, but because I have to do something unpleasant and sad.

My company is relatively small, about 50 employees. And for the third time in the three years I have been there, I have to submit a death claim to our company-paid life insurance plan - once for a spouse, twice (including today) for an employee.

It's not that it's that hard to do -- I started the process online and just need to wait for a death certificate from the widow. But it's still a bummer. In fact, I started the process just before the widow called to see what benefits he had, so at least I feel like I did the right thing by starting the process.

Sorry, y'all. Just venting. Carry on.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

Re: Sometimes I don't like my job...

#2 Post by kayrharris » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:25 pm

That is a tough assignment, but you are providing a benefit that is important to the family.

kay
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:39 am

I'm sorry, Spiff - that's rough.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

mellytu74

#4 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:26 pm

Hugs, Spiffy

SpacemanSpiff

Awww fuck, not again.

#5 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:24 am

Had an employee have a heart attack last night. Hospital's deemed him to be brain dead, and the wife is about to pull the plug.

Don't believe it's COVID-19 related.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

themanintheseersuckersuit

#6 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:07 pm

Reading this it hit me that filing the the life insurance claim for my brothers insurance was was satisfying. In part because it was something I could actually do. It made me want to do it as fast as possible and his daughters didn’t have to do anything but sign the forms.and now I’m tearing up a bit.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.