McClatchy Newspapers file for reorganization

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
themanintheseersuckersuit

McClatchy Newspapers file for reorganization

#1 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 am

Says employees should not be affected https://www.wfae.org/post/mcclatchy-new ... y#stream/0
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: McClatchy Newspapers file for reorganization

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 am

Doesn't Skoop work for a McClatchy newspaper? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:01 pm

I do for now, anyway. When I send a story, it goes to 27 papers. Pretty cool job, for as long as it lasts.

We are feeling better about this thing than you might think. The company that will own us does indeed run The National Enquirer, but they also run actual print papers in Canada, so we are feeling good that they do have print products in their holdings.

I was hoping to get one more year out of it (I hit 32 years in a couple of weeks). I got a partial-severance bonus in January for staying, when they reduced our salaries (though for some people it was a raise, to put everyone at one of two standard rates). It you left, you could take a six-month severance. If you stayed and got a 20% reduction, you got a 3-month bonus. I did that, and then will be eligible again in January for a full buyout, though who knows if we will still be here then.

I am keeping an eye on jobs opening up on campus starting in August. Might also be interested in something like OSHA or the Red Cross, in that I have thought of newspapering as a public service, and would like to continue that. It may also be time to hook up with people who are serious about housing for low-income folks, in that our city is among those who have priced out the people who actually keep it running. I would like to help fix that.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:12 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:01 pm
I do for now, anyway. When I send a story, it goes to 27 papers. Pretty cool job, for as long as it lasts.

We are feeling better about this thing than you might think. The company that will own us does indeed run The National Enquirer, but they also run actual print papers in Canada, so we are feeling good that they do have print products in their holdings.

I was hoping to get one more year out of it (I hit 32 years in a couple of weeks). I got a partial-severance bonus in January for staying, when they reduced our salaries (though for some people it was a raise, to put everyone at one of two standard rates). It you left, you could take a six-month severance. If you stayed and got a 20% reduction, you got a 3-month bonus. I did that, and then will be eligible again in January for a full buyout, though who knows if we will still be here then.

I am keeping an eye on jobs opening up on campus starting in August. Might also be interested in something like OSHA or the Red Cross, in that I have thought of newspapering as a public service, and would like to continue that. It may also be time to hook up with people who are serious about housing for low-income folks, in that our city is among those who have priced out the people who actually keep it running. I would like to help fix that.

Wow, 32 years is impressive, Skoop! I hope you find opportunities to do what you want - you will excel!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

wbtravis007

#5 Post by wbtravis007 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am

Ritterskoop wrote:

You're such a better person that I. You go, Girl.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:

You must have started there when you were 14, right?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:32 pm

I wish all the best for you. You will do good.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#8 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanks to all. It has been coming for years, and I know a bunch of people who will be glad when it is truly done.

I saw an episode of Bull a couple of months ago with a random plot about a character who had a first date with a librarian. He was waxing rhapsodic about books, and how the room had ghosts and spirits and all this cool stuff. I said I get how he feels, a sadness that bound books are going away, that something will be lost without them. I feel that way about journalism, which will be merely a ghost of its former self when there is no printed product to purchase.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:20 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:51 pm
Thanks to all. It has been coming for years, and I know a bunch of people who will be glad when it is truly done.

I saw an episode of Bull a couple of months ago with a random plot about a character who had a first date with a librarian. He was waxing rhapsodic about books, and how the room had ghosts and spirits and all this cool stuff. I said I get how he feels, a sadness that bound books are going away, that something will be lost without them. I feel that way about journalism, which will be merely a ghost of its former self when there is no printed product to purchase.
I imagine that I will continue to buy printed books and newspapers for as long as they're available to purchase. I don't like having to depend on my device's power source for access to my materials. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson