Any dentists on Bored?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
bazodee

Any dentists on Bored?

#1 Post by bazodee » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:42 pm

Are there any dentists among us?

I've recently had an unexpected extraction (tooth #14) and am weighing various replacement options, including not replacing it. My dentist has layed out the various options; I just want to run them by a couple others who are trained in dentistry. I'm not looking for novice Google research here.

So, please PM me if you can spare a couple minutes. My wallet and I would really appreciate it!

Evil Dentist
Merry Man

Re: Any dentists on Bored?

#2 Post by Evil Dentist » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:48 pm

I doubt you want my advice...
Say "aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh"!

flockofseagulls104

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:41 pm

Anne Robinson has been let go by the Gulls. She may be free if you can find her.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:45 pm

Anne Robinson has been let go by the Gulls. She may be free if you can find her.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:10 pm

bazodee wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:42 pm
Are there any dentists among us?

I've recently had an unexpected extraction (tooth #14) and am weighing various replacement options, including not replacing it. My dentist has layed out the various options; I just want to run them by a couple others who are trained in dentistry. I'm not looking for novice Google research here.

So, please PM me if you can spare a couple minutes. My wallet and I would really appreciate it!
From my personal experience: If you have $1000 or so to spare or don't mind opening a Care Credit account, get an implant. (I didn't at the time.) Otherwise, your adjacent teeth have a high probability of following #14. (As mine did.)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:41 pm

I am not a dentist, but when I had a crown come loose, I saw my dentist just a day later to have it re-cemented and the gap between adjacent teeth had ALREADY started to diminish. My dentist said that YES, they do start to move that quickly. If you do not have some type of replacement, I believe your other teeth will all move towards it, most likely really messing up the bite that you're used to.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:11 pm

Estonut wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:41 pm
I am not a dentist, but when I had a crown come loose, I saw my dentist just a day later to have it re-cemented and the gap between adjacent teeth had ALREADY started to diminish. My dentist said that YES, they do start to move that quickly. If you do not have some type of replacement, I believe your other teeth will all move towards it, most likely really messing up the bite that you're used to.
REC
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

bazodee

#8 Post by bazodee » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:02 am

Thanks all.

Unfortunately an implant is not feasible in my case because I lack enough bone separating the gum from the sinus. Feasible options are various types of bridges or doing nothing.

ghostjmf

#9 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am

Periodontists can build up the bone with transplanting bone, generally from cadavers. Seek out a periodontist. I'm surprised your dentist didn't suggest this.

Yes, an implant is a long process, but much better than the alternative.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:25 am

ghostjmf wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am
Periodontists can build up the bone with transplanting bone, generally from cadavers. Seek out a periodontist. I'm surprised your dentist didn't suggest this.

REC

mrkelley23

#11 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:53 pm

ghostjmf wrote:

This is possible in some cases, but not all. Since there is an evaluation of bone and gum mass, I'm guessing Baz has already visited a periodontist, since they are usually the ones who make the determination about whether implants are viable or not.

I'm not a dentist, but my wife works for one. She wants to know whether you have both 15 and 16 left in your mouth, and how advanced your perio is, and whether you have a chance of getting it under control.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

bazodee

#12 Post by bazodee » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:25 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:53 pm
ghostjmf wrote:

This is possible in some cases, but not all. Since there is an evaluation of bone and gum mass, I'm guessing Baz has already visited a periodontist, since they are usually the ones who make the determination about whether implants are viable or not.

I'm not a dentist, but my wife works for one. She wants to know whether you have both 15 and 16 left in your mouth, and how advanced your perio is, and whether you have a chance of getting it under control.
Yes I still have my upper wisdom tooth; all teeth surrounding are very healthy with no evidence of any disease. The extraction was necessitated by a complete cleavage of tooth 14, probably worn down by grinding. Implant has been ruled out because I don't have enough bone mass above the tooth and have a history of sinus problems on that side. I just don't want to mess with anything invasive in the sinus.

My options seem to be traditional bridge, Maryland bridge, and inlay bridge. I'm not interested in any structure where I have to remove the tooth overnight. My reluctance for the traditional bridge is that you have to grind down two perfectly health teeth to set anchor crowns. The other two types of bridges preserve adjacent teeth better, but the disadvantage is that it can come out.

What I want to understand is what happens to otherwise perfectly healthy teeth, if I chose not to do anything. At age 61, how soon might I run into problems with a shifting bite that proves intolerable? Cost really isn't much of a factor here; convenience is a minor factor; and my general nature is to avoid complexity. Am told the extraction site is healing very well. I return to the dentist in about 4 weeks for evaluation and next steps.

I appreciate your interest and help on this... Wayne

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#13 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:08 pm

bazodee wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:25 pm
What I want to understand is what happens to otherwise perfectly healthy teeth, if I chose not to do anything. At age 61, how soon might I run into problems with a shifting bite that proves intolerable? Cost really isn't much of a factor here; convenience is a minor factor; and my general nature is to avoid complexity. Am told the extraction site is healing very well. I return to the dentist in about 4 weeks for evaluation and next steps.

I have actually been missing tooth #8 (upper right front) for almost 30 years now. Chipped it in half falling face first on a sidewalk when I was 10, had root canal and crown put on at the local dental school (we was po' folks), had it come out barely a year later faceplanting into the wall of a waterslide (don't ask, and the crown was lost), refused to be taken back to have it all redone, and eventually about five years later, the natural half of the tooth that was left decayed out. Both of the surrounding teeth have long since almost completely closed in the huge gap that tooth left. I know it's a bit different since incisors are mostly for biting as opposed to chewing, but I honestly haven't had much issue with eating over the time my teeth readjusted. I always viewed caps/implants as more of a cosmetic thing, and that's never been a concern for me...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

mrkelley23

#14 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:12 am

bazodee wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:

Yes I still have my upper wisdom tooth; all teeth surrounding are very healthy with no evidence of any disease. The extraction was necessitated by a complete cleavage of tooth 14, probably worn down by grinding. Implant has been ruled out because I don't have enough bone mass above the tooth and have a history of sinus problems on that side. I just don't want to mess with anything invasive in the sinus.

My options seem to be traditional bridge, Maryland bridge, and inlay bridge. I'm not interested in any structure where I have to remove the tooth overnight. My reluctance for the traditional bridge is that you have to grind down two perfectly health teeth to set anchor crowns. The other two types of bridges preserve adjacent teeth better, but the disadvantage is that it can come out.

So, lots of info here:

1. Dentist says under no circumstances should you consider a Maryland bridge. In fact, his opinion is that both that and the inlay bridge are not indicated for molars. They are more for incisors and such.

2. A traditional bridge will require prep on the surrounding teeth, as you say, but it can also come out or loose. The human body can defeat any kind of adhesive over time.

3. Dentist also says you should really reconsider the implant. It sounds like, from your comments, that maybe that was presented as an option, but when they explained the process, you declined because it involved messing with the sinus. But the "messing" in this case should not cause problems; on the contrary, Wendy's dentist knows of cases where people with chronic sinus problems actually had some serious relief when they had a "lift-and-graft" implant done. If I'm misinterpreting, feel free to disregard.

4. 61 is awfully young to be risking the rearrangement of your bite. The fact is that it might take a long time for the bone to recede, but it might be very rapid. The teeth might move very slowly, or fairly quickly. And one thing that people don't consider: the tooth underneath the hole might try to erupt further, which would cause a whole new set of issues. It would be a calculated risk, for sure. I have no idea of the percentages, but we have both known plenty of people who regret taking that risk many years ago.

5. One other option, that Wendy doesn't recommend for permanent, but might buy you some time: get a spacer/retainer for the gap, to be worn only at night. It keeps the surrounding teeth from moving too much.

Good luck -- I'll be happy to give more info after you meet with the dentist, or if you have other questions after this message.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

bazodee

#15 Post by bazodee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:50 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:12 am
bazodee wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

So, lots of info here:

1. Dentist says under no circumstances should you consider a Maryland bridge. In fact, his opinion is that both that and the inlay bridge are not indicated for molars. They are more for incisors and such.

2. A traditional bridge will require prep on the surrounding teeth, as you say, but it can also come out or loose. The human body can defeat any kind of adhesive over time.

3. Dentist also says you should really reconsider the implant. It sounds like, from your comments, that maybe that was presented as an option, but when they explained the process, you declined because it involved messing with the sinus. But the "messing" in this case should not cause problems; on the contrary, Wendy's dentist knows of cases where people with chronic sinus problems actually had some serious relief when they had a "lift-and-graft" implant done. If I'm misinterpreting, feel free to disregard.

4. 61 is awfully young to be risking the rearrangement of your bite. The fact is that it might take a long time for the bone to recede, but it might be very rapid. The teeth might move very slowly, or fairly quickly. And one thing that people don't consider: the tooth underneath the hole might try to erupt further, which would cause a whole new set of issues. It would be a calculated risk, for sure. I have no idea of the percentages, but we have both known plenty of people who regret taking that risk many years ago.

5. One other option, that Wendy doesn't recommend for permanent, but might buy you some time: get a spacer/retainer for the gap, to be worn only at night. It keeps the surrounding teeth from moving too much.

Good luck -- I'll be happy to give more info after you meet with the dentist, or if you have other questions after this message.
Thanks for the very thorough advice. Your point #4 is especially helpful.