Game #196: Box Office Poison

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Re: Game #196: Box Office Poison

#26 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:00 pm

So, I can't seem to come up with a Tangredi, but I do notice that all these actors (at least, the ones I took time to look at carefully) were married to at least one person who had some degree of fame as an actor. I think that must be part of it.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#27 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:00 pm
So, I can't seem to come up with a Tangredi, but I do notice that all these actors (at least, the ones I took time to look at carefully) were married to at least one person who had some degree of fame as an actor. I think that must be part of it.

Good idea, Mr K - there's a whole bunch married to other actors.

Maybe it's something like - Lauren Bacall matches with X who was in (Title related to Tangredi) with Bogart. Millie Perkins goes with Y who was in (Title) with Dean Stockwell, et al.

mrkelley23

#28 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:16 am

New consolidation: I think I identified all the wrong question marks, but I left ones that I couldn't quite 100% confirm, just in case.

2. is definitely WENDY HILLER.
10. is RIP TORN in Defending your Life, not Kevin Spacey.
40. is JAMIE BELL in Billy Elliott
41. is RHEA PERLMAN for Cheers (Doris Roberts is the other actress who has won four times)
59. is JULIE CHRISTIE, who replaced Shirley Maclaine in Darling.
97. is a gray area, as noted in the consolidation.

Identify the 100 actors below. (The first two clues are an exchange between two actors in the same movie; every other clue after that is a quotation.) Then, match them into 52 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Three actors will be used twice, each time in a different capacity. One actor will be matched with herself.

1 and 2. “Don't you agree the man must've entered my compartment to gain access to Mr. Ratchett?”
“I can think of no other reason, Madame.”
1. LAUREN BACALL
2. WENDY HILLER
3. Although a favorite with the ladies, this leading man often shared the screen with other male stars, including Edward G. Robinson, Ronald Colman, Cary Grant, and Fred Astaire.
DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, JR.

4. “Look, you shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas is not the place you wanna get caught.”

5. She was literally a bombshell: her picture was attached to an A-bomb tested on Bikini Atoll in 1948.
RITA HAYWORTH

6. DICK POWELL

7. She was the first Mexican actress nominated for an Academy Award.
KATY JURADO

8. GLADYS COOPER

9. She appeared in film adaptations of novels by Charles Dickens, Leo Tolstoy, Jane Austen, and Mark Twain.
MAUREEN O’SULLIVAN

10.” Being from Earth, as you are, and using as little of your brain as you do, your life has pretty much been devoted to dealing with fear.”
RIP TORN

11. JOANNE WOODWARD

12. “What intrigue there is beneath that mask of innocence! It was not enough for you to be a governess! No, you had to conspire to become the mistress of my household! To steal from me everything that was mine, including the affections of my children!”
BARBARA O'NEIL

13. VIRGINIA CHERRILL
14. MADONNA

15. Her film career included adaptations of works by Joseph Conrad, Theodore Dreiser, Victor Hugo, Agatha Christie, Elmer Rice, and Sidney Kingsley.
SYLVIA SIDNEY?

16. “No! You tell her to stop it! You never tell her a goddamn thing! And I know why she never came to the hospital, because she was too busy going to goddamn Spain and goddamn Portugal! Why should she care if I'm hung up by the balls out there!”

17. ALLA NAZIMOVA

18. “Sleeping bag, Father, with... with buttons! Más breá é, níor rith sé ar a shon. An peaca é?”
MAUREEN O'HARA

19. She was the only Oscar-winning actress to direct an Oscar-winning documentary.

20. JOHN PAYNE

21. Her Golden Globe acceptance speech – which she wrote in the style of the author whose work she had adapted to the screen – has been ranked one of the funniest moments in award show history.
EMMA THOMPSON

22. JOEL McCREA
23. ALICE BRADY
24. ANNE BANCROFT
25. BRIAN AHERNE
26. TERESA WRIGHT

27. This actress had to appeal to the Screen Actors Guild to get her name in the credits for a classic horror movie – even though she didn’t appear in the movie.
MERCEDES McCAMBRIDGE

28. “Why should I think about reality in this stink hole? That's like ‘Why should I get more depressed that I already am?’"

29. ELIZABETH ASHLEY

30. “You ungrateful little brat! Just look at everything you have. When I was your age, we lived in a duplex! We didn't even have our own house!”
ANNETTE BENING

31. According to a biography of Bette Davis, when this actor claimed to have gotten her a leading role in a 1961 film, Davis reportedly responded, “Who is that son of a bitch that he should say he helped me have a comeback! That sh*theel wouldn't have helped me out of a sewer!"
GLENN FORD

32. KATHLEEN TURNER
33. AVA GARDNER

34. “'Unknown.' That's the key word. 'Unknown.' When we become involved in a supernatural event, we're scared out of our wits just because it's unknown. The night cry of a child. A face on the wall. Knockings, bangings. What's there to be afraid of? You weren't threatened. It was harmless, like a joke that doesn't come out.”

35. GLORIA GRAHAME
36. DIANNE WIEST
37. BOBBY DARIN
38. DOROTHY McGUIRE

39. GRAND DAMES, PART ONE: She is the only 20th century actress interred in Westminster Abbey.
PEGGY ASHCROFT?

40. “Don't know. Sorta feels good. Sorta stiff and that, but once I get going ... then I like, forget everything. And ... sorta disappear. Sorta disappear. Like I feel a change in my whole body. And I've got this fire in my body. I'm just there. Flyin' like a bird. Like electricity. Yeah, like electricity.”
JAMIE BELL

41. She was the first of only two actresses to win four Emmy awards for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series.
RHEA PERLMAN
42. ALI McGRAW
43. MARION LORNE
44. ELLEN BURSTYN
45. JOHN AGAR
46. PHOEBE CATES

47. This Irish actress appeared in only ten films, including a blockbuster in which she played Charlie Chaplin’s mother-in-law … sort of.

48. “They didn't release you 'cause you're better, Daisy, they just gave up. You call this a life, hmm? Taking Daddy's money, buying your dollies and your knick-knacks. And eating his f**king chicken, fattening up like a prize f**king heifer? You changed the scenery, but not the f**king situation - and the warden makes house calls. And everybody knows. Everybody knows. That he f**ks you. What they don't know is that you like it. Hmm? You like it.”
ANGELINA JOLIE

49. JERRY STILLER
50. GREER GARSON
51. RONALD REAGAN
52. RICHARD BURTON
53. MARY ASTOR

54. “You can't fight her - no one ever got the better of her. Never, never. She was beaten in the end, but it wasn't a man, it wasn't a woman. It was the sea!”

55. She memorably played the trumpet in a comedy scored for a harmonica.
KAY KENDALL

56. “Forget God! No one is touching him! No one is burying him until I find his bear! Do you hear me? You understand?”
JANE ALEXANDER

57. ROBERT WAGNER

58. “Joanna! How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? When I was just going to give you coffee. When I was just going to give you coffee! When I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends! I thought we were friends! I was just going to give you coffee! I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends. I thought we were friends. I thought we were friends. How could you do a thing like that? I thought we were friends.”

59. She won an Oscar for a film in which she replaced the sister of the man who would later become her lover. Got that?
JULIE CHRISTIE

60. “You know, when Khrushchev was forced out, he sat down and wrote two letters and gave them to his successor. He said, ‘When you get yourself into a situation you can't get out of, open the first letter, and you'll be safe. When you get yourself into another situation you can't get out of, open the second letter.’ Well, soon enough, this guy found himself in a tight place, so he opened the first letter. Which said, ‘Blame everything on me.’ So he blames the old man, it worked like a charm. He got himself into a second situation he couldn't get out of, he opened the second letter. It said, ‘Sit down and write two letters.’”

61. CARROLL BAKER
62. FRANK SINATRA

63. Her memorable catfight with Marlene Dietrich was filmed in one continuous take, without stunt doubles.
UNA MERKEL?

64. “Why don't you pass the time by playing a little solitaire?”
ANGELA LANSBURY

65. Her greatest stage success was a comedy by her husband, a Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, but she lost the lead in the movie version to Betty Hutton.

66. SAM ELLIOTT

67. In the 1930s, she appeared in film adaptations of one play by Shakespeare and two novels by Charles Dickens.
EDNA MAY OLIVER

68. BARBARA STANWYCK
69. AGNES MOREHEAD
70. ANNE RAMSEY
71. ETHEL BARRYMORE
72. SHIRLEY MacLAINE
73. STEWART GRANGER

74. “A man can afford to have noble sentiments and poses, but a woman only has the man she married. That's her truth. And if he's no good, that's still her truth. I married a man who was a liar, a thief and a coward. He was a drunkard and unfaithful. He only married me to get this ranch and then he deserted Johnny and me for good. And that's your fine truth for you. Could I bring Johnny up on that?”

75. LANA TURNER

76. “Settle down, are you kidding? I'm at the top of my game! I'm right up there with the big dogs! Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so.”

77. MARJORIE RAMBEAU
78. CLARK GABLE

79. Her screen offspring have included Katharine Hepburn, Jean Arthur, Barbara Stanwyck, Don Ameche, and Franchot Tone.
SPRING BYINGTON

80. TOM CRUISE
81. MARJORIE MAIN
82. MILLIE PERKINS

83. She was the first performer on a list that would later include Barry Fitzgerald, Jessica Lange, Sigourney Weaver, Al Pacino, Julianne Moore, Jamie Foxx, Cate Blanchett, and the actors in Clues #21, #26, and #76.

84. HANK AZARIA
85. IDA LUPINO

86. “Like that morning, when you walked out of that old house and you were, you were eighteen, and maybe I was nineteen. I was nineteen years old, and I'd never seen anything so beautiful. You, coming out of a glass door in your early morning, still sleepy. Isn't it strange, the most ordinary morning in anybody's life? I'm afraid I can't make it to the party, Clarissa.”

87. BARBARA RUSH
88. CLORIS LEACHMAN
89. SEAN CONNERY
90. NATALIE WOOD

91. Long before achieving her current fame, she was the third actress to play the title role in Annie on Broadway.
SARAH JESSICA PARKER

92. CLAIRE TREVOR

93. GRAND DAMES, PART II: She and opera singer Nelly Melba were the first entertainers to be named Dame Commanders of the British Empire.
DAME MAY WHITTY?

94. MALCOLM McDOWELL
95. SUZANNE PLESHETTE
96. DEBBIE REYNOLDS

97. In a 2004 biopic, she played the mother of the actor in Clue #37.
BRENDA BLETHLYN? Gray area here. Blethyn played Polly Cassotto, who acted as Bobby Darin’s mother growing up, but his real mother was the woman he knew as his sister, Nina Cassotto, played by Caroline Aaron in Beyond the Sea.)

98. LAURENCE OLIVIER
99. JENNIFER JONES

100. “Boy, he is great! Jeez, that old fat man. Look at the way he moves: like a dancer. And those fingers, them chubby fingers. That stroke ... it's like he's, uh, like he's playin' the violin or somethin'.”
PAUL NEWMAN
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

franktangredi

#29 Post by franktangredi » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:32 pm

One definite answer is wrong and one answer with a question mark is wrong. As for the gray area, I'll confirm that I was going for Brenda Blethyn.

I think you're going to crack it.
mrkelley23 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:16 am
New consolidation: I think I identified all the wrong question marks, but I left ones that I couldn't quite 100% confirm, just in case.

2. is definitely WENDY HILLER.
10. is RIP TORN in Defending your Life, not Kevin Spacey.
40. is JAMIE BELL in Billy Elliott
41. is RHEA PERLMAN for Cheers (Doris Roberts is the other actress who has won four times)
59. is JULIE CHRISTIE, who replaced Shirley Maclaine in Darling.
97. is a gray area, as noted in the consolidation.

Identify the 100 actors below. (The first two clues are an exchange between two actors in the same movie; every other clue after that is a quotation.) Then, match them into 52 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Three actors will be used twice, each time in a different capacity. One actor will be matched with herself.

1 and 2. “Don't you agree the man must've entered my compartment to gain access to Mr. Ratchett?”
“I can think of no other reason, Madame.”
1. LAUREN BACALL
2. WENDY HILLER
3. Although a favorite with the ladies, this leading man often shared the screen with other male stars, including Edward G. Robinson, Ronald Colman, Cary Grant, and Fred Astaire.
DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, JR.

4. “Look, you shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas is not the place you wanna get caught.”

5. She was literally a bombshell: her picture was attached to an A-bomb tested on Bikini Atoll in 1948.
RITA HAYWORTH

6. DICK POWELL

7. She was the first Mexican actress nominated for an Academy Award.
KATY JURADO

8. GLADYS COOPER

9. She appeared in film adaptations of novels by Charles Dickens, Leo Tolstoy, Jane Austen, and Mark Twain.
MAUREEN O’SULLIVAN

10.” Being from Earth, as you are, and using as little of your brain as you do, your life has pretty much been devoted to dealing with fear.”
RIP TORN

11. JOANNE WOODWARD

12. “What intrigue there is beneath that mask of innocence! It was not enough for you to be a governess! No, you had to conspire to become the mistress of my household! To steal from me everything that was mine, including the affections of my children!”
BARBARA O'NEIL

13. VIRGINIA CHERRILL
14. MADONNA

15. Her film career included adaptations of works by Joseph Conrad, Theodore Dreiser, Victor Hugo, Agatha Christie, Elmer Rice, and Sidney Kingsley.
SYLVIA SIDNEY?

16. “No! You tell her to stop it! You never tell her a goddamn thing! And I know why she never came to the hospital, because she was too busy going to goddamn Spain and goddamn Portugal! Why should she care if I'm hung up by the balls out there!”

17. ALLA NAZIMOVA

18. “Sleeping bag, Father, with... with buttons! Más breá é, níor rith sé ar a shon. An peaca é?”
MAUREEN O'HARA

19. She was the only Oscar-winning actress to direct an Oscar-winning documentary.

20. JOHN PAYNE

21. Her Golden Globe acceptance speech – which she wrote in the style of the author whose work she had adapted to the screen – has been ranked one of the funniest moments in award show history.
EMMA THOMPSON

22. JOEL McCREA
23. ALICE BRADY
24. ANNE BANCROFT
25. BRIAN AHERNE
26. TERESA WRIGHT

27. This actress had to appeal to the Screen Actors Guild to get her name in the credits for a classic horror movie – even though she didn’t appear in the movie.
MERCEDES McCAMBRIDGE

28. “Why should I think about reality in this stink hole? That's like ‘Why should I get more depressed that I already am?’"

29. ELIZABETH ASHLEY

30. “You ungrateful little brat! Just look at everything you have. When I was your age, we lived in a duplex! We didn't even have our own house!”
ANNETTE BENING

31. According to a biography of Bette Davis, when this actor claimed to have gotten her a leading role in a 1961 film, Davis reportedly responded, “Who is that son of a bitch that he should say he helped me have a comeback! That sh*theel wouldn't have helped me out of a sewer!"
GLENN FORD

32. KATHLEEN TURNER
33. AVA GARDNER

34. “'Unknown.' That's the key word. 'Unknown.' When we become involved in a supernatural event, we're scared out of our wits just because it's unknown. The night cry of a child. A face on the wall. Knockings, bangings. What's there to be afraid of? You weren't threatened. It was harmless, like a joke that doesn't come out.”

35. GLORIA GRAHAME
36. DIANNE WIEST
37. BOBBY DARIN
38. DOROTHY McGUIRE

39. GRAND DAMES, PART ONE: She is the only 20th century actress interred in Westminster Abbey.
PEGGY ASHCROFT?

40. “Don't know. Sorta feels good. Sorta stiff and that, but once I get going ... then I like, forget everything. And ... sorta disappear. Sorta disappear. Like I feel a change in my whole body. And I've got this fire in my body. I'm just there. Flyin' like a bird. Like electricity. Yeah, like electricity.”
JAMIE BELL

41. She was the first of only two actresses to win four Emmy awards for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series.
RHEA PERLMAN
42. ALI McGRAW
43. MARION LORNE
44. ELLEN BURSTYN
45. JOHN AGAR
46. PHOEBE CATES

47. This Irish actress appeared in only ten films, including a blockbuster in which she played Charlie Chaplin’s mother-in-law … sort of.

48. “They didn't release you 'cause you're better, Daisy, they just gave up. You call this a life, hmm? Taking Daddy's money, buying your dollies and your knick-knacks. And eating his f**king chicken, fattening up like a prize f**king heifer? You changed the scenery, but not the f**king situation - and the warden makes house calls. And everybody knows. Everybody knows. That he f**ks you. What they don't know is that you like it. Hmm? You like it.”
ANGELINA JOLIE

49. JERRY STILLER
50. GREER GARSON
51. RONALD REAGAN
52. RICHARD BURTON
53. MARY ASTOR

54. “You can't fight her - no one ever got the better of her. Never, never. She was beaten in the end, but it wasn't a man, it wasn't a woman. It was the sea!”

55. She memorably played the trumpet in a comedy scored for a harmonica.
KAY KENDALL

56. “Forget God! No one is touching him! No one is burying him until I find his bear! Do you hear me? You understand?”
JANE ALEXANDER

57. ROBERT WAGNER

58. “Joanna! How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? When I was just going to give you coffee. When I was just going to give you coffee! When I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends! I thought we were friends! I was just going to give you coffee! I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends. I thought we were friends. I thought we were friends. How could you do a thing like that? I thought we were friends.”

59. She won an Oscar for a film in which she replaced the sister of the man who would later become her lover. Got that?
JULIE CHRISTIE

60. “You know, when Khrushchev was forced out, he sat down and wrote two letters and gave them to his successor. He said, ‘When you get yourself into a situation you can't get out of, open the first letter, and you'll be safe. When you get yourself into another situation you can't get out of, open the second letter.’ Well, soon enough, this guy found himself in a tight place, so he opened the first letter. Which said, ‘Blame everything on me.’ So he blames the old man, it worked like a charm. He got himself into a second situation he couldn't get out of, he opened the second letter. It said, ‘Sit down and write two letters.’”

61. CARROLL BAKER
62. FRANK SINATRA

63. Her memorable catfight with Marlene Dietrich was filmed in one continuous take, without stunt doubles.
UNA MERKEL?

ANGELA LANSBURY

65. Her greatest stage success was a comedy by her husband, a Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, but she lost the lead in the movie version to Betty Hutton.

66. SAM ELLIOTT

67. In the 1930s, she appeared in film adaptations of one play by Shakespeare and two novels by Charles Dickens.
EDNA MAY OLIVER

68. BARBARA STANWYCK
69. AGNES MOREHEAD
70. ANNE RAMSEY
71. ETHEL BARRYMORE
72. SHIRLEY MacLAINE
73. STEWART GRANGER

74. “A man can afford to have noble sentiments and poses, but a woman only has the man she married. That's her truth. And if he's no good, that's still her truth. I married a man who was a liar, a thief and a coward. He was a drunkard and unfaithful. He only married me to get this ranch and then he deserted Johnny and me for good. And that's your fine truth for you. Could I bring Johnny up on that?”

75. LANA TURNER

76. “Settle down, are you kidding? I'm at the top of my game! I'm right up there with the big dogs! Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so.”

77. MARJORIE RAMBEAU
78. CLARK GABLE

79. Her screen offspring have included Katharine Hepburn, Jean Arthur, Barbara Stanwyck, Don Ameche, and Franchot Tone.
SPRING BYINGTON

80. TOM CRUISE
81. MARJORIE MAIN
82. MILLIE PERKINS

83. She was the first performer on a list that would later include Barry Fitzgerald, Jessica Lange, Sigourney Weaver, Al Pacino, Julianne Moore, Jamie Foxx, Cate Blanchett, and the actors in Clues #21, #26, and #76.

84. HANK AZARIA
85. IDA LUPINO

86. “Like that morning, when you walked out of that old house and you were, you were eighteen, and maybe I was nineteen. I was nineteen years old, and I'd never seen anything so beautiful. You, coming out of a glass door in your early morning, still sleepy. Isn't it strange, the most ordinary morning in anybody's life? I'm afraid I can't make it to the party, Clarissa.”

87. BARBARA RUSH
88. CLORIS LEACHMAN
89. SEAN CONNERY
90. NATALIE WOOD

91. Long before achieving her current fame, she was the third actress to play the title role in Annie on Broadway.
SARAH JESSICA PARKER

92. CLAIRE TREVOR

93. GRAND DAMES, PART II: She and opera singer Nelly Melba were the first entertainers to be named Dame Commanders of the British Empire.
DAME MAY WHITTY?

94. MALCOLM McDOWELL
95. SUZANNE PLESHETTE
96. DEBBIE REYNOLDS

97. In a 2004 biopic, she played the mother of the actor in Clue #37.
BRENDA BLETHLYN? Gray area here. Blethyn played Polly Cassotto, who acted as Bobby Darin’s mother growing up, but his real mother was the woman he knew as his sister, Nina Cassotto, played by Caroline Aaron in Beyond the Sea.)

98. LAURENCE OLIVIER
99. JENNIFER JONES

100. “Boy, he is great! Jeez, that old fat man. Look at the way he moves: like a dancer. And those fingers, them chubby fingers. That stroke ... it's like he's, uh, like he's playin' the violin or somethin'.”
PAUL NEWMAN

mellytu74

#30 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:24 pm

ANGELA LANSBURY

Why do I hear a man's voice saying this?

mrkelley23

#31 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:36 am

Well, Wo Fat said it, too, in the Manchurian Candidate (can't remember the actor's name).

Maybe that's the wrong one?

mrkelley23

#32 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:46 am

According to Wikipedia, Dame Peggy Ashcroft was not interred at Westminster Abbey, although they did have a memorial service for her there. But iMdB and other sources list her as buried there. So I don't know.

mrkelley23

#33 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:54 am

83. is FAY BAINTER. The list is people who have been nominated for best actor/actress and best supporting in the same year.

mrkelley23

#34 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:59 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:54 am
83. is FAY BAINTER. The list is people who have been nominated for best actor/actress and best supporting in the same year.
So 76. Must be Holly Hunter, by process of elimination. But this troubles me, because Fay Bainter was not married to anyone related to movies. She married a naval officer.Their son was an actor, though. Hmmm.

franktangredi

#35 Post by franktangredi » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:06 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:36 am
Well, Wo Fat said it, too, in the Manchurian Candidate (can't remember the actor's name).

Maybe that's the wrong one?
No, I meant Lansbury.

silverscreenselect

#36 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:13 am

I think the famous spouses must have something to do with it. Virginia Cherrill's film career was virtually non-existent, so she must be on here because she was married to Cary Grant. That doesn't narrow things down much since Grant probably appeared with a number of the other actors on the list, and there has to be some other qualification.

I'm also curious how an actress could be matched with herself. This must mean that her famous spouse appeared with her in a movie that qualifies for the list. Again, a number of famous couples would seem to qualify.

On the other hand, Marion Lorne did not have an acting spouse. Her film career was rather slim, primarily Strangers on a Train and a posthumous appearance in The Graduate. I would think that if Frank wanted to use either of those films to link to another actor, he could have done so with an actor with a higher profile than Marion Lorne.

If Lorne is correct, then the only match that leaps out is that she appeared in Strangers on a Train with Robert Walker, married to Jennifer Jones.

One other match leaps out. Anne Ramsey appeared in Throw Momma from the Train with Danny DeVito, married to Rhea Perlman. There aren't that many "train" movies out there so it's got to be something else that narrows the films down. Frank also puts a clue in the title, so "Box Office Poison" must mean something (he also said he felt we would "crack" the puzzle soon, so that word might be a clue as well).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jarnon

#37 Post by jarnon » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:00 pm

I don’t have anything helpful to add, but I have an off-topic question. I just noticed that Helena Bonham Carter plays Princess Margaret in The Crown. I really liked Bonham Carter as Elizabeth Duchess of York in The King’s Speech. Frank, have other actresses played a mother and daughter?
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#38 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:08 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:13 am
One other match leaps out. Anne Ramsey appeared in Throw Momma from the Train with Danny DeVito, married to Rhea Perlman. There aren't that many "train" movies out there so it's got to be something else that narrows the films down. Frank also puts a clue in the title, so "Box Office Poison" must mean something (he also said he felt we would "crack" the puzzle soon, so that word might be a clue as well).
On the other hand, DeVito was in Romancing the Stone with Kathleen Turner as well. There's got to be some way to narrow down these films, otherwise, prolific actors like Cary Grant, Ernest Borgnine (Katy Jurado), and Paul Newman (Joanne Woodward) could match up with a lot of people.

franktangredi

#39 Post by franktangredi » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:02 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:08 am
There's got to be some way to narrow down these films...
There is. There is indeed.

silverscreenselect

#40 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:45 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:16 am

60. JAMES BROLIN (which means that there's a Barbra Streisand movie in here)
65. BETTY FIELD

mellytu74

#41 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:17 pm

I've got matches but no theme.

Clark Gable married to Carole Lombard, in My Man Godfrey with Alice Brady
Laurence Olivier married to Vivien Leigh, in GWTW with Barbara O'Neill
Dick Powell married to June Allyson, in Little Women with Mary Astor.

NOW, all of the "with" matches are the movie mothers of the married actresses. But, it has nothing to do with box office poison.

Suzanne Pleshette married to Troy Donahue, in A Summer Place with Dorothy McGuire
Virginia Cherrill married to Cary Grant, in None But the Lonely Heart with Ethel Barrymore.

Rita Hayworth - Dick Haymes - Fay Bainter in State Fair

Matches but nothing to hang them on. :( :(

mellytu74

#42 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:38 pm

RIP Torn - Geraldine Page - Una Merkel - Summer and Smoke

Hank Azria - Heken Hunt - Ksthleen Turnet - Peggy Sue Got Married.

Box Office Poison = flops?. Not GWTW or Stare Fair...

franktangredi

#43 Post by franktangredi » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:31 am

mellytu74 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:38 pm
RIP Torn - Geraldine Page - Una Merkel - Summer and Smoke

Hank Azria - Heken Hunt - Ksthleen Turnet - Peggy Sue Got Married.

Box Office Poison = flops?. Not GWTW or Stare Fair...
Don't worry too much about the title of the game. That was a private joke of mine, referencing a hit song, which has no value as a clue.

silverscreenselect

#44 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:19 am

mellytu74 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:17 pm
I've got matches but no theme.

Clark Gable married to Carole Lombard, in My Man Godfrey with Alice Brady
Laurence Olivier married to Vivien Leigh, in GWTW with Barbara O'Neill
Dick Powell married to June Allyson, in Little Women with Mary Astor.

NOW, all of the "with" matches are the movie mothers of the married actresses. But, it has nothing to do with box office poison.

Suzanne Pleshette married to Troy Donahue, in A Summer Place with Dorothy McGuire
Virginia Cherrill married to Cary Grant, in None But the Lonely Heart with Ethel Barrymore.

Rita Hayworth - Dick Haymes - Fay Bainter in State Fair

Matches but nothing to hang them on. :( :(
No, you've got it. The two I came up with worked. Marion Lorne was Robert Walker's mother in Strangers on a Train, and Anne Ramsey was Danny DeVito's mother in Throw Mamma from the Train.

silverscreenselect

#45 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:29 am

Two for the price of one.

Natalie Wood, married to Robert Wagner, and Mary Astor played his mother in A Kiss Before Dying.
Wagner, married to Wood, and Maureen O'Hara played her mother in Miracle on 34th Street.

PLUS

Emma Thompson, married to Kenneth Branagh, and Julie Christie played his mother in Hamlet.

jarnon

#46 Post by jarnon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:05 am

WTG, Melly! That means one actress played the mother of her real-life husband (icky).
jarnon wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:00 pm
I don’t have anything helpful to add, but I have an off-topic question. I just noticed that Helena Bonham Carter plays Princess Margaret in The Crown. I really liked Bonham Carter as Elizabeth Duchess of York in The King’s Speech. Frank, have other actresses played a mother and daughter?
Turns out my question wasn’t really off-topic. Since that’s out of the way now, can you answer the question?
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#47 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:22 am

franktangredi wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 am

I worked backward to get this one once Melly figured the Tangredi. I figured if Shirley MacLaine was on here, it would be for Terms of Endearment, which means that there would be a Timothy Hutton (married to Debra Winger) movie. And this sounded like something his character in Ordinary People would say, and I was right.

TIMOTHY HUTTON goes with Shirley MacLaine (Debra Winger) in Terms of Endearment.

franktangredi

#48 Post by franktangredi » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:26 am

jarnon wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:05 am
WTG, Melly! That means one actress played the mother of her real-life husband (icky).
jarnon wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:00 pm
Turns out my question wasn’t really off-topic. Since that’s out of the way now, can you answer the question?
I can't think of one offhand, other than cases of one actress playing two generations in the same film (such as Frances Farmer in Come and Get It.)

mellytu74

#49 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:09 pm

Ok - I will add numbers to my answers when I get home

mellytu74

#50 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:10 pm

Bacall = Streisand mom in Mirror has 2 faces