Game #196: Box Office Poison

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

#1 Post by franktangredi » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 am

Identify the 100 actors below. (The first two clues are an exchange between two actors in the same movie; every other clue after that is a quotation.) Then, match them into 52 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Three actors will be used twice, each time in a different capacity. One actor will be matched with herself.

1 and 2. “Don't you agree the man must've entered my compartment to gain access to Mr. Ratchett?”
“I can think of no other reason, Madame.”

3. Although a favorite with the ladies, this leading man often shared the screen with other male stars, including Edward G. Robinson, Ronald Colman, Cary Grant, and Fred Astaire.

4. “Look, you shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas is not the place you wanna get caught.”

5. She was literally a bombshell: her picture was attached to an A-bomb tested on Bikini Atoll in 1948.

6. “My first novel, on which I had labored for seven years, was just out. Surprisingly for a scholarly work on early Virginia, it was doing a brisk nationwide sale - possibly because it was liberally peppered with sex. Because, after all, early Virginia was liberally peppered with sex. Could that have been why Hollywood bought it?”

7. She was the first Mexican actress nominated for an Academy Award.

8. “I know what it is to suffer. Look at my eyes. They burn like the very fires of hell. Why? Because they need sleep. They need rest, which I will not give them. My throat is parched from constant prayer. My hands are gnarled from serving God in humiliation. My body is pain-wracked from stone floors. Yes, I have suffered, for I know it is the only true road to Heaven.”

9. She appeared in film adaptations of novels by Charles Dickens, Leo Tolstoy, Jane Austen, and Mark Twain.

10.” Being from Earth, as you are, and using as little of your brain as you do, your life has pretty much been devoted to dealing with fear.”

11. In 1976, this actress did for Sally Field what Lee J. Cobb had previously done for her.

12. “What intrigue there is beneath that mask of innocence! It was not enough for you to be a governess! No, you had to conspire to become the mistress of my household! To steal from me everything that was mine, including the affections of my children!”

13. She was on the receiving end of arguably the greatest final close-up in film history – a close-up preceded by a title card in which she ‘said.’ “Yes, I can see now.”

14. “What if at a key moment in the game my, my uniform bursts open and, uh, oops, my bosoms come flying out? That, that might draw a crowd, right?”

15. Her film career included adaptations of works by Joseph Conrad, Theodore Dreiser, Victor Hugo, Agatha Christie, Elmer Rice, and Sidney Kingsley.

16. “No! You tell her to stop it! You never tell her a goddamn thing! And I know why she never came to the hospital, because she was too busy going to goddamn Spain and goddamn Portugal! Why should she care if I'm hung up by the balls out there!”

17. This legendary Russian actress was the first student of Stanislavski to appear on the stage and screen in the USA.

18. “Sleeping bag, Father, with... with buttons! Más breá é, níor rith sé ar a shon. An peaca é?”

19. She was the only Oscar-winning actress to direct an Oscar-winning documentary.

20. “Look Doris, someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile.”

21. Her Golden Globe acceptance speech – which she wrote in the style of the author whose work she had adapted to the screen – has been ranked one of the funniest moments in award show history.

22. “All I want is to enter my house justified.”

23. In 1939, she became the second winner of an acting Oscar and the first winner of a supporting Oscar to pass away.

24. “The room's a wreck, but her napkin is folded.”

25. This English actor got an Oscar nomination for playing the Austrian emperor of a Latin American country.

26. “He thought the world was a horrible place. He couldn't have been very happy, ever. He didn't trust people. Seemed to hate them. He hated the whole world. You know, he said people like us had no idea what the world was really like.”

27. This actress had to appeal to the Screen Actors Guild to get her name in the credits for a classic horror movie – even though she didn’t appear in the movie.

28. “Why should I think about reality in this stink hole? That's like ‘Why should I get more depressed that I already am?’"

29. This husky-voiced actresses originated roles on stage that would later be played on screen by Sandra Dee and Jane Fonda.

30. “You ungrateful little brat! Just look at everything you have. When I was your age, we lived in a duplex! We didn't even have our own house!”

31. According to a biography of Bette Davis, when this actor claimed to have gotten her a leading role in a 1961 film, Davis reportedly responded, “Who is that son of a bitch that he should say he helped me have a comeback! That sh*theel wouldn't have helped me out of a sewer!"

32. “I can't get over it. What kinda creep wouldn't catch a baby? If it was real it coulda been crippled for life.”

33. She starred in three film adaptations of works by her friend Ernest Hemingway.

34. “'Unknown.' That's the key word. 'Unknown.' When we become involved in a supernatural event, we're scared out of our wits just because it's unknown. The night cry of a child. A face on the wall. Knockings, bangings. What's there to be afraid of? You weren't threatened. It was harmless, like a joke that doesn't come out.”

35. She won an Oscar for playing the wife of a character quoted in one of the clues above.

36. “No, no, don't speak. Don't speak. Please don't speak. Please don't speak. No. No. No. Go. Go, gentle Scorpio, go. Your Pisces wishes you every happy return.”

37. He brought Kurt Weill to the top of the U.S. pop chart for nine weeks.

38. “Jewish? But you're not! Are you? Not that it would make any difference to me. But you said, ‘Let everybody know,’ as if you hadn't before and would now. So I just wondered. Not that it would make any difference to me.”

39. GRAND DAMES, PART ONE: She is the only 20th century actress interred in Westminster Abbey.

40. “Don't know. Sorta feels good. Sorta stiff and that, but once I get going ... then I like, forget everything. And ... sorta disappear. Sorta disappear. Like I feel a change in my whole body. And I've got this fire in my body. I'm just there. Flyin' like a bird. Like electricity. Yeah, like electricity.”

41. She was the first of only two actresses to win four Emmy awards for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series.

42. “Don't. Love means never having to say you're sorry.”

43. She was the second of two actresses to win posthumous Emmy awards for their supporting roles on the same sitcom.

44. “I'm telling you that 'thing' upstairs isn't my daughter. Now, I want you to tell me that you know for a fact that there's nothing wrong with my daughter, except in her mind.”

45. The trajectory of his career took him from supporting roles opposite John Wayne to leading roles opposite mole people and giant tarantulas.

46. “The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney ... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.”

47. This Irish actress appeared in only ten films, including a blockbuster in which she played Charlie Chaplin’s mother-in-law … sort of.

48. “They didn't release you 'cause you're better, Daisy, they just gave up. You call this a life, hmm? Taking Daddy's money, buying your dollies and your knick-knacks. And eating his f**king chicken, fattening up like a prize f**king heifer? You changed the scenery, but not the f**king situation - and the warden makes house calls. And everybody knows. Everybody knows. That he f**ks you. What they don't know is that you like it. Hmm? You like it.”

49. This comedian’s role in a 1988 cult classic was later replayed by Christopher Walken.

50. “It must be tremendously interesting to be a schoolmaster, to watch boys grow up and help them along; to see their characters develop and what they become when they leave school and the world gets hold of them. I don't see how you could ever get old in a world that's always young.”

51. The two lines most associated with this actor – in 1940 and 1942 – were delivered while his characters were lying in hospital beds.

52. “No. There are limits. I mean, a man can put up with only so much without he descends a rung or two on the old evolutionary ladder, which is up your line. Now, I will hold your hand when it's dark and you're afraid of the boogeyman and I will tote your gin bottles out after midnight so no one can see, but I will not light your cigarette. And that, as they say, is that.”

53. For a while, a prolific writer was known less for his collaborations with the likes of Edna Ferber and Marc Connelly than for his affair with this actress.

54. “You can't fight her - no one ever got the better of her. Never, never. She was beaten in the end, but it wasn't a man, it wasn't a woman. It was the sea!”

55. She memorably played the trumpet in a comedy scored for a harmonica.

56. “Forget God! No one is touching him! No one is burying him until I find his bear! Do you hear me? You understand?”

57. He got his big break in a two-scene role as a shell-shocked paratrooper in a 1952 musical biopic.

58. “Joanna! How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? When I was just going to give you coffee. When I was just going to give you coffee! When I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends! I thought we were friends! I was just going to give you coffee! I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends. I thought we were friends. I thought we were friends. How could you do a thing like that? I thought we were friends.”

59. She won an Oscar for a film in which she replaced the sister of the man who would later become her lover. Got that?

60. “You know, when Khruschev was forced out, he sat down and wrote two letters and gave them to his successor. He said, ‘When you get yourself into a situation you can't get out of, open the first letter, and you'll be safe. When you get yourself into another situation you can't get out of, open the second letter.’ Well, soon enough, this guy found himself in a tight place, so he opened the first letter. Which said, ‘Blame everything on me.’ So he blames the old man, it worked like a charm. He got himself into a second situation he couldn't get out of, he opened the second letter. It said, ‘Sit down and write two letters.’”

61. In 1965, she and an actress who died this year starred in dueling biopics as the same movie star.

62. “Only my friends can call me a little wop!”

63. Her memorable catfight with Marlene Dietrich was filmed in one continuous take, without stunt doubles.

64. “Why don't you pass the time by playing a little solitaire?”

65. Her greatest stage success was a comedy by her husband, a Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, but she lost the lead in the movie version to Betty Hutton.

66. “All Dad ever did for you is make you his f**king drinking buddy.”

67. In the 1930s, she appeared in film adaptations of one play by Shakespeare and two novels by Charles Dickens.

68. “Yes, I love him. I love those hick shirts he wears with the boiled cuffs and the way he always has his vest buttoned wrong. Looks like a giraffe, and I love him. I love him because he's the kind of a guy that gets drunk on a glass of buttermilk, and I love the way he blushes right up over his ears. Love him because he doesn't know how to kiss, the jerk!”

69. The actress in the preceding clue starred in a thriller based on a radio play that originally starred this actress.

70. “The only thing we serve is tongue. Do you boys like tongue?”

71. In 1928, she starred in the first play presented at the theatre named in her honor.

72. “Shut up and deal.”

73. Eleanor Parker called this swashbuckling English actor “a dreadful person, rude ... just awful. Just being in his presence was bad. I thought at one point the crew was going to kill him.” (No word on whether he could do the fandango.)

74. “A man can afford to have noble sentiments and poses, but a woman only has the man she married. That's her truth. And if he's no good, that's still her truth. I married a man who was a liar, a thief and a coward. He was a drunkard and unfaithful. He only married me to get this ranch and then he deserted Johnny and me for good. And that's your fine truth for you. Could I bring Johnny up on that?”

75. The first of her seven husbands was the second husband of the actress in one of the preceding clues.

76. “Settle down, are you kidding? I'm at the top of my game! I'm right up there with the big dogs! Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so.”

77. She supported Marie Dressler in the latter’s Oscar-winning role, and later took over a part originally played by Dressler.

78. “Perhaps you're interested in how a man undresses. You know, it's a funny thing about that. Quite a study in psychology. No two men do it alike. You know, I once knew a man who kept his hat on until he was completely undressed.”

79. Her screen offspring have included Katharine Hepburn, Jean Arthur, Barbara Stanwyck, Don Ameche, and Franchot Tone.

80. “Okay, look, here's the deal. Man, you were gonna drive me around tonight, never be the wiser, but El Gordo got in front of a window, did his high dive, we're into Plan B. Still breathing? Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, sh*t happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it.”

81. She received her only Oscar nomination for a role that she would go on to play nine more times.

82. “I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are really good at heart.”

83. She was the first performer on a list that would later include Barry Fitzgerald, Jessica Lange, Sigourney Weaver, Al Pacino, Julianne Moore, Jamie Foxx, Cate Blanchett, and the actors in Clues #21, #26, and #76.

84. “Why don't you let me be in the show? Are you afraid of my Guatemalan-ness?”

85. She once commented that she went from being the poor man’s Bette Davis to the poor man’s Don Siegel.

86. “Like that morning, when you walked out of that old house and you were, you were eighteen, and maybe I was nineteen. I was nineteen years old, and I'd never seen anything so beautiful. You, coming out of a glass door in your early morning, still sleepy. Isn't it strange, the most ordinary morning in anybody's life? I'm afraid I can't make it to the party, Clarissa.”

87. She and Joan Collins are the only two surviving actors to have played villains on the 1960s Batman TV series. (Yes, I know I’m tempting fate here….)

88. “Yes! Say it! Say it! He vas my … BOYFRIEND.”

89. Of his most popular role, he once said that he’d rather slash his wrists than play it again … and later called it the best job in the world.

90. “Nobody laughs at me! Because I laugh first. At me! Me, from Seattle! Me, with no education. Me, with no talent, as you kept reminding me my whole life! Well, Mama look at me now. I'm a star! Look! Look how I live! Look at my friends! Look where I'm going! I'm not staying in burlesque! I'm moving, mabye up, maybe down! But wherever it is, I'm enjoying it. I'm having the time of my life! Because for the first time, it is my life! And I love it. I love every second of it! And I'll be damned if you're gonna take it away from me!”

91. Long before achieving her current fame, she was the third actress to play the title role in Annie on Broadway.

92. “Tell you a good joke on me. You know, I always dreaded the idea of becoming an old woman. And the way things look now, I won't have to worry about it anymore. You know, I haven't been whistled at in years, and the idea of growing roses for the rest of my life is really beginning to haunt me. There oughta be a home for dames like me. Yup - we shoulda organized. You know, a house somewhere with no mirror in it, far away where we never have to look at a young girl. They have homes for unmarried mothers but everybody forgets about the girls who - who never quite managed to make things legal. I think I could start one!”

93. GRAND DAMES, PART II: She and opera singer Nelly Melba were the first entertainers to be named Dame Commanders of the British Empire.

94. “Pomme frites! Fries are pomme frites!”

95. The death of her character in a 1963 movie is quite possibly the saddest and most heroic in any Hitchcock picture.

96. “Movies are entertaining enough for the masses but the personalities on the screen just don't impress me. I mean they don't talk, they don't act, the just make a lot of dumb show.”

97. In a 2004 biopic, she played the mother of the actor in Clue #37.

98. “Not Mozart. Not Picasso. Not a genius who will enrich the world. But a lonely little boy with a domineering father, a customs officer who was 52 when he was born. And an affectionate doting mother who was 29. The father died when he was 65, when the boy was nearly 14. Adolf Hitler.”

99. In 1957, she took on roles that had previously been played on screen by Helen Hayes and Norman Shearer.

100. “Boy, he is great! Jeez, that old fat man. Look at the way he moves: like a dancer. And those fingers, them chubby fingers. That stroke ... it's like he's, uh, like he's playin' the violin or somethin'.”

jarnon

Re: Game #196: Box Office Poison

#2 Post by jarnon » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:34 pm

Lucky me! I get to finish the last game and start this one.

14. “What if at a key moment in the game my, my uniform bursts open and, uh, oops, my bosoms come flying out? That, that might draw a crowd, right?”
MADONNA

ANNE BANCROFT

BOBBY DARIN

44. “I'm telling you that 'thing' upstairs isn't my daughter. Now, I want you to tell me that you know for a fact that there's nothing wrong with my daughter, except in her mind.”
ELLEN BURSTYN

49. This comedian’s role in a 1988 cult classic was later replayed by Christopher Walken.
JERRY STILLER

78. “Perhaps you're interested in how a man undresses. You know, it's a funny thing about that. Quite a study in psychology. No two men do it alike. You know, I once knew a man who kept his hat on until he was completely undressed.”
CLARK GABLE

82. “I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are really good at heart.”
MILLIE PERKINS

87. She and Joan Collins are the only two surviving actors to have played villains on the 1960s Batman TV series. (Yes, I know I’m tempting fate here….)
JULIE NEWMAR, JULIE NEWMAR

CLORIS LEACHMAN

MALCOLM McDOWELL

98. “Not Mozart. Not Picasso. Not a genius who will enrich the world. But a lonely little boy with a domineering father, a customs officer who was 52 when he was born. And an affectionate doting mother who was 29. The father died when he was 65, when the boy was nearly 14. Adolf Hitler.”
LAURENCE OLIVIER
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ToLiveIsToFly

#3 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:37 pm

32. “I can't get over it. What kinda creep wouldn't catch a baby? If it was real it coulda been crippled for life.”
KATHLEEN TURNER? (OR MAYBE JACK NICHOLSON?)

36. “No, no, don't speak. Don't speak. Please don't speak. Please don't speak. No. No. No. Go. Go, gentle Scorpio, go. Your Pisces wishes you every happy return.”
DIANNE WIEST?

ALI MCGRAW?

46. “The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney ... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.”
PHOEBE CATES

SAM ELIOTT

100. “Boy, he is great! Jeez, that old fat man. Look at the way he moves: like a dancer. And those fingers, them chubby fingers. That stroke ... it's like he's, uh, like he's playin' the violin or somethin'.”
PAUL NEWMAN?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Pretty sure this is ANNE RAMSEY from Goonies for my token movie answer....
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

franktangredi

#5 Post by franktangredi » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:54 pm

jarnon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:34 pm

Drat and damn, drat and damn, that may be the stupidest mistake I ever made! And there are others as well, since Glynis Johns is also still alive. I picked up a piece of bad information and didn't think about it.

Let me add that this actress is generally considered to have been the lamest of all Batman villains.

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:14 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:54 pm
jarnon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:34 pm

Drat and damn, drat and damn, that may be the stupidest mistake I ever made! And there are others as well, since Glynis Johns is also still alive. I picked up a piece of bad information and didn't think about it.

Let me add that this actress is generally considered to have been the lamest of all Batman villains.
Ha! That makes it Barbara Rush and her sexist mechanical mice.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#7 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:01 pm

QUCK FIRST PASS - PART 1

Identify the 100 actors below. (The first two clues are an exchange between two actors in the same movie; every other clue after that is a quotation.) Then, match them into 52 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Three actors will be used twice, each time in a different capacity. One actor will be matched with herself.

1 and 2. “Don't you agree the man must've entered my compartment to gain access to Mr. Ratchett?”

1. LAUREN BACALL
2. WENDY HILLER

6. “My first novel, on which I had labored for seven years, was just out. Surprisingly for a scholarly work on early Virginia, it was doing a brisk nationwide sale - possibly because it was liberally peppered with sex. Because, after all, early Virginia was liberally peppered with sex. Could that have been why Hollywood bought it?”

DICK POWELL in Bad and the Beautiful

8. “I know what it is to suffer. Look at my eyes. They burn like the very fires of hell. Why? Because they need sleep. They need rest, which I will not give them. My throat is parched from constant prayer. My hands are gnarled from serving God in humiliation. My body is pain-wracked from stone floors. Yes, I have suffered, for I know it is the only true road to Heaven.”

GLADYS COOPER in Song of Bernandette

11. In 1976, this actress did for Sally Field what Lee J. Cobb had previously done for her.

JOANNE WOODWARD (in Sybil)

12. “What intrigue there is beneath that mask of innocence! It was not enough for you to be a governess! No, you had to conspire to become the mistress of my household! To steal from me everything that was mine, including the affections of my children!”

BARBARA O'NEIL? All This & Heaven Too.

13. She was on the receiving end of arguably the greatest final close-up in film history – a close-up preceded by a title card in which she ‘said.’ “Yes, I can see now.”

VIRGINIA CHERRILL

MADONNA

17. This legendary Russian actress was the first student of Stanislavski to appear on the stage and screen in the USA.

ALLA NAZIMOVA

20. “Look Doris, someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile.”

JOHN PAYNE

21. Her Golden Globe acceptance speech – which she wrote in the style of the author whose work she had adapted to the screen – has been ranked one of the funniest moments in award show history.

EMMA THOMPSON?

JOEL McCREA

23. In 1939, she became the second winner of an acting Oscar and the first winner of a supporting Oscar to pass away.

ALICE BRADY

ANNE BANCROFT

25. This English actor got an Oscar nomination for playing the Austrian emperor of a Latin American country.

BRIAN AHERNE

26. “He thought the world was a horrible place. He couldn't have been very happy, ever. He didn't trust people. Seemed to hate them. He hated the whole world. You know, he said people like us had no idea what the world was really like.”

TERESA WRIGHT

27. This actress had to appeal to the Screen Actors Guild to get her name in the credits for a classic horror movie – even though she didn’t appear in the movie.

JEANNETTE NOLAN???

29. This husky-voiced actresses originated roles on stage that would later be played on screen by Sandra Dee and Jane Fonda.

ELIZABETH ASHLEY

33. She starred in three film adaptations of works by her friend Ernest Hemingway.

AVA GARDNER

35. She won an Oscar for playing the wife of a character quoted in one of the clues above.

GLORIA GRAHAME

DIANNE WEIST

BOBBY DARIN

38. “Jewish? But you're not! Are you? Not that it would make any difference to me. But you said, ‘Let everybody know,’ as if you hadn't before and would now. So I just wondered. Not that it would make any difference to me.”

DOROTHY McGUIRE

ALI McGraw?

43. She was the second of two actresses to win posthumous Emmy awards for their supporting roles on the same sitcom.

MARION LORNE

50. “It must be tremendously interesting to be a schoolmaster, to watch boys grow up and help them along; to see their characters develop and what they become when they leave school and the world gets hold of them. I don't see how you could ever get old in a world that's always young.”

GREER GARSON
Last edited by mellytu74 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mellytu74

#8 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:34 pm

FIRST QUICK PASS - PART DEUX

51. The two lines most associated with this actor – in 1940 and 1942 – were delivered while his characters were lying in hospital beds.

RONALD REAGAN (Kings Row & Rockne)

52. “No. There are limits. I mean, a man can put up with only so much without he descends a rung or two on the old evolutionary ladder, which is up your line. Now, I will hold your hand when it's dark and you're afraid of the boogeyman and I will tote your gin bottles out after midnight so no one can see, but I will not light your cigarette. And that, as they say, is that.”

RICHARD BURTON

53. For a while, a prolific writer was known less for his collaborations with the likes of Edna Ferber and Marc Connelly than for his affair with this actress.

MARY ASTOR (George Kauffman)

KAY KENDALL????

57. He got his big break in a two-scene role as a shell-shocked paratrooper in a 1952 musical biopic.

ROBERT WAGNER

61. In 1965, she and an actress who died this year starred in dueling biopics as the same movie star.

CARROLL BAKER

FRANK SINATRA

63. Her memorable catfight with Marlene Dietrich was filmed in one continuous take, without stunt doubles.

UNA MERKEL?

SAM ELLIOTT

68. “Yes, I love him. I love those hick shirts he wears with the boiled cuffs and the way he always has his vest buttoned wrong. Looks like a giraffe, and I love him. I love him because he's the kind of a guy that gets drunk on a glass of buttermilk, and I love the way he blushes right up over his ears. Love him because he doesn't know how to kiss, the jerk!”

BARBARA STANWYCK

69. The actress in the preceding clue starred in a thriller based on a radio play that originally starred this actress.

AGNES MOREHEAD

71. In 1928, she starred in the first play presented at the theatre named in her honor.

ETHEL BARRYMORE

72. “Shut up and deal.”

SHIRLEY MacLAINE

73. Eleanor Parker called this swashbuckling English actor “a dreadful person, rude ... just awful. Just being in his presence was bad. I thought at one point the crew was going to kill him.” (No word on whether he could do the fandango.)

STEWART GRANGER

75. The first of her seven husbands was the second husband of the actress in one of the preceding clues.

LANA TURNER

77. She supported Marie Dressler in the latter’s Oscar-winning role, and later took over a part originally played by Dressler.

MARJORIE RAMBEAU

CLARK GABLE

79. Her screen offspring have included Katharine Hepburn, Jean Arthur, Barbara Stanwyck, Don Ameche, and Franchot Tone.

SPRING BYINGTON?

84. “Why don't you let me be in the show? Are you afraid of my Guatemalan-ness?”

HANK AZARIA

85. She once commented that she went from being the poor man’s Bette Davis to the poor man’s Don Siegel.

IDA LUPINO

CLORIS LEACHMAN

90. “Nobody laughs at me! Because I laugh first. At me! Me, from Seattle! Me, with no education. Me, with no talent, as you kept reminding me my whole life! Well, Mama look at me now. I'm a star! Look! Look how I live! Look at my friends! Look where I'm going! I'm not staying in burlesque! I'm moving, mabye up, maybe down! But wherever it is, I'm enjoying it. I'm having the time of my life! Because for the first time, it is my life! And I love it. I love every second of it! And I'll be damned if you're gonna take it away from me!”

NATALIE WOOD

91. Long before achieving her current fame, she was the third actress to play the title role in Annie on Broadway.

SARAH JESSICA PARKER?

92. “Tell you a good joke on me. You know, I always dreaded the idea of becoming an old woman. And the way things look now, I won't have to worry about it anymore. You know, I haven't been whistled at in years, and the idea of growing roses for the rest of my life is really beginning to haunt me. There oughta be a home for dames like me. Yup - we shoulda organized. You know, a house somewhere with no mirror in it, far away where we never have to look at a young girl. They have homes for unmarried mothers but everybody forgets about the girls who - who never quite managed to make things legal. I think I could start one!”

CLAIRE TREVOR

96. “Movies are entertaining enough for the masses but the personalities on the screen just don't impress me. I mean they don't talk, they don't act, the just make a lot of dumb show.”

DEBBIE REYNOLDS

BRENDA BLETHLYN?

99. In 1957, she took on roles that had previously been played on screen by Helen Hayes and Norman Shearer.

JENNIFER JONES

kroxquo

#9 Post by kroxquo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:55 pm

Lauren Bacall and Albert Finney

10.” Being from Earth, as you are, and using as little of your brain as you do, your life has pretty much been devoted to dealing with fear.”

Kevin Spacey in K-Pax?

Madonna

Mercedes McCambridge

Kathleen Turner

40. “Don't know. Sorta feels good. Sorta stiff and that, but once I get going ... then I like, forget everything. And ... sorta disappear. Sorta disappear. Like I feel a change in my whole body. And I've got this fire in my body. I'm just there. Flyin' like a bird. Like electricity. Yeah, like electricity.”

Michael Keaton in Birdman?

41. She was the first of only two actresses to win four Emmy awards for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series.

Betty White?

Ali MacGraw

The second Gladys Kravitz from Bewitched

Ellen Burstyn

45. The trajectory of his career took him from supporting roles opposite John Wayne to leading roles opposite mole people and giant tarantulas.

John Agar

Phoebe Cates

Whoever played the father in the original Hairspray

Orson Welles?

58. “Joanna! How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? When I was just going to give you coffee. When I was just going to give you coffee! When I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends! I thought we were friends! I was just going to give you coffee! I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends. I thought we were friends. I thought we were friends. How could you do a thing like that? I thought we were friends.”

It's from the Stepford Wives

59. She won an Oscar for a film in which she replaced the sister of the man who would later become her lover. Got that?

Annette Bening?

Barbara Stanwyck. Or is she for the previous clue? I am not sure of the wording here.

80. “Okay, look, here's the deal. Man, you were gonna drive me around tonight, never be the wiser, but El Gordo got in front of a window, did his high dive, we're into Plan B. Still breathing? Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, sh*t happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it.”

Tom Cruise

81. She received her only Oscar nomination for a role that she would go on to play nine more times.

Myrna Loy?

Millie Perkins

WAG Carolyn Jones?

Cloris Leachman

89. Of his most popular role, he once said that he’d rather slash his wrists than play it again … and later called it the best job in the world.

Sean Connery

John Travolta

95. The death of her character in a 1963 movie is quite possibly the saddest and most heroic in any Hitchcock picture.

Suzanne Pleshette

Debbie Reynolds

Laurence Olivier
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

mellytu74

#10 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:25 am

81. is Marjorie Main.

The Egg and I introduced Ma and Pa Kettle.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#11 Post by Estonut » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:34 pm

Whoever played the father in the original Hairspray

This was JERRY STILLER.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

jarnon

#12 Post by jarnon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 pm

First consolidation…

1. LAUREN BACALL
2. WENDY HILLER? ALBERT FINNEY?

3. Although a favorite with the ladies, this leading man often shared the screen with other male stars, including Edward G. Robinson, Ronald Colman, Cary Grant, and Fred Astaire.

4. “Look, you shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas is not the place you wanna get caught.”

5. She was literally a bombshell: her picture was attached to an A-bomb tested on Bikini Atoll in 1948.

DICK POWELL

GLADYS COOPER

9. She appeared in film adaptations of novels by Charles Dickens, Leo Tolstoy, Jane Austen, and Mark Twain.

KEVIN SPACEY?

JOANNE WOODWARD

BARBARA O'NEIL?

VIRGINIA CHERRILL

MADONNA

15. Her film career included adaptations of works by Joseph Conrad, Theodore Dreiser, Victor Hugo, Agatha Christie, Elmer Rice, and Sidney Kingsley.

16. “No! You tell her to stop it! You never tell her a goddamn thing! And I know why she never came to the hospital, because she was too busy going to goddamn Spain and goddamn Portugal! Why should she care if I'm hung up by the balls out there!”

ALLA NAZIMOVA

18. “Sleeping bag, Father, with... with buttons! Más breá é, níor rith sé ar a shon. An peaca é?”

19. She was the only Oscar-winning actress to direct an Oscar-winning documentary.

JOHN PAYNE

EMMA THOMPSON?

JOEL McCREA

ALICE BRADY

ANNE BANCROFT

BRIAN AHERNE

TERESA WRIGHT

JEANNETTE NOLAN? MERCEDES McCAMBRIDGE?

28. “Why should I think about reality in this stink hole? That's like ‘Why should I get more depressed that I already am?’"

ELIZABETH ASHLEY

30. “You ungrateful little brat! Just look at everything you have. When I was your age, we lived in a duplex! We didn't even have our own house!”

31. According to a biography of Bette Davis, when this actor claimed to have gotten her a leading role in a 1961 film, Davis reportedly responded, “Who is that son of a bitch that he should say he helped me have a comeback! That sh*theel wouldn't have helped me out of a sewer!"

KATHLEEN TURNER

AVA GARDNER

34. “'Unknown.' That's the key word. 'Unknown.' When we become involved in a supernatural event, we're scared out of our wits just because it's unknown. The night cry of a child. A face on the wall. Knockings, bangings. What's there to be afraid of? You weren't threatened. It was harmless, like a joke that doesn't come out.”

GLORIA GRAHAME

DIANNE WIEST

BOBBY DARIN

DOROTHY McGUIRE

39. GRAND DAMES, PART ONE: She is the only 20th century actress interred in Westminster Abbey.

MICHAEL KEATON?

BETTY WHITE?

ALI McGRAW

MARION LORNE

ELLEN BURSTYN

JOHN AGAR

PHOEBE CATES

47. This Irish actress appeared in only ten films, including a blockbuster in which she played Charlie Chaplin’s mother-in-law … sort of.

48. “They didn't release you 'cause you're better, Daisy, they just gave up. You call this a life, hmm? Taking Daddy's money, buying your dollies and your knick-knacks. And eating his f**king chicken, fattening up like a prize f**king heifer? You changed the scenery, but not the f**king situation - and the warden makes house calls. And everybody knows. Everybody knows. That he f**ks you. What they don't know is that you like it. Hmm? You like it.”

JERRY STILLER

GREER GARSON

RONALD REAGAN

RICHARD BURTON

MARY ASTOR

54. “You can't fight her - no one ever got the better of her. Never, never. She was beaten in the end, but it wasn't a man, it wasn't a woman. It was the sea!”

KAY KENDALL?

56. “Forget God! No one is touching him! No one is burying him until I find his bear! Do you hear me? You understand?”

ROBERT WAGNER

ANNETTE BENING?

60. “You know, when Khrushchev was forced out, he sat down and wrote two letters and gave them to his successor. He said, ‘When you get yourself into a situation you can't get out of, open the first letter, and you'll be safe. When you get yourself into another situation you can't get out of, open the second letter.’ Well, soon enough, this guy found himself in a tight place, so he opened the first letter. Which said, ‘Blame everything on me.’ So he blames the old man, it worked like a charm. He got himself into a second situation he couldn't get out of, he opened the second letter. It said, ‘Sit down and write two letters.’”

CARROLL BAKER

FRANK SINATRA

UNA MERKEL?

65. Her greatest stage success was a comedy by her husband, a Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, but she lost the lead in the movie version to Betty Hutton.

SAM ELLIOTT

67. In the 1930s, she appeared in film adaptations of one play by Shakespeare and two novels by Charles Dickens.

BARBARA STANWYCK

AGNES MOREHEAD

ANNE RAMSEY

ETHEL BARRYMORE

72. “Shut up and deal.”
SHIRLEY MacLAINE

STEWART GRANGER

74. “A man can afford to have noble sentiments and poses, but a woman only has the man she married. That's her truth. And if he's no good, that's still her truth. I married a man who was a liar, a thief and a coward. He was a drunkard and unfaithful. He only married me to get this ranch and then he deserted Johnny and me for good. And that's your fine truth for you. Could I bring Johnny up on that?”

LANA TURNER

76. “Settle down, are you kidding? I'm at the top of my game! I'm right up there with the big dogs! Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so.”

MARJORIE RAMBEAU

CLARK GABLE

SPRING BYINGTON?

TOM CRUISE

MARJORIE MAIN

MILLIE PERKINS

83. She was the first performer on a list that would later include Barry Fitzgerald, Jessica Lange, Sigourney Weaver, Al Pacino, Julianne Moore, Jamie Foxx, Cate Blanchett, and the actors in Clues #21, #26, and #76.

HANK AZARIA

IDA LUPINO

86. “Like that morning, when you walked out of that old house and you were, you were eighteen, and maybe I was nineteen. I was nineteen years old, and I'd never seen anything so beautiful. You, coming out of a glass door in your early morning, still sleepy. Isn't it strange, the most ordinary morning in anybody's life? I'm afraid I can't make it to the party, Clarissa.”

BARBARA RUSH

CLORIS LEACHMAN

SEAN CONNERY

NATALIE WOOD

SARAH JESSICA PARKER?

CLAIRE TREVOR

93. GRAND DAMES, PART II: She and opera singer Nelly Melba were the first entertainers to be named Dame Commanders of the British Empire.

MALCOLM McDOWELL

SUZANNE PLESHETTE

DEBBIE REYNOLDS

BRENDA BLETHLYN?

LAURENCE OLIVIER

JENNIFER JONES

PAUL NEWMAN?
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#13 Post by franktangredi » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 pm

Three single answers with question marks are wrong. Everything else is right or includes the right answer.
jarnon wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 pm
First consolidation…

1. LAUREN BACALL

DICK POWELL

GLADYS COOPER

KEVIN SPACEY?

JOANNE WOODWARD

BARBARA O'NEIL?

VIRGINIA CHERRILL

MADONNA

ALLA NAZIMOVA

JOHN PAYNE

EMMA THOMPSON?

JOEL McCREA

ALICE BRADY

ANNE BANCROFT

BRIAN AHERNE

TERESA WRIGHT

ELIZABETH ASHLEY

KATHLEEN TURNER

AVA GARDNER

GLORIA GRAHAME

DIANNE WIEST

BOBBY DARIN

DOROTHY McGUIRE

MICHAEL KEATON?

BETTY WHITE?

ALI McGRAW

MARION LORNE

ELLEN BURSTYN

JOHN AGAR

PHOEBE CATES

JERRY STILLER

GREER GARSON

RONALD REAGAN

RICHARD BURTON

MARY ASTOR

KAY KENDALL?

ROBERT WAGNER

ANNETTE BENING?

60. “You know, when Khrushchev was forced out, he sat down and wrote two letters and gave them to his successor. He said, ‘When you get yourself into a situation you can't get out of, open the first letter, and you'll be safe. When you get yourself into another situation you can't get out of, open the second letter.’ Well, soon enough, this guy found himself in a tight place, so he opened the first letter. Which said, ‘Blame everything on me.’ So he blames the old man, it worked like a charm. He got himself into a second situation he couldn't get out of, he opened the second letter. It said, ‘Sit down and write two letters.’”

CARROLL BAKER

FRANK SINATRA

UNA MERKEL?

SAM ELLIOTT

BARBARA STANWYCK

AGNES MOREHEAD

ANNE RAMSEY

ETHEL BARRYMORE

72. “Shut up and deal.”
SHIRLEY MacLAINE

STEWART GRANGER

LANA TURNER

MARJORIE RAMBEAU

CLARK GABLE

SPRING BYINGTON?

TOM CRUISE

MARJORIE MAIN

MILLIE PERKINS

HANK AZARIA

IDA LUPINO

BARBARA RUSH

CLORIS LEACHMAN

SEAN CONNERY

NATALIE WOOD

SARAH JESSICA PARKER?

CLAIRE TREVOR

MALCOLM McDOWELL

SUZANNE PLESHETTE

DEBBIE REYNOLDS

BRENDA BLETHLYN?

LAURENCE OLIVIER

JENNIFER JONES

PAUL NEWMAN?

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 am

64. This is a bit ambiguous. It's the line from The Manchurian Candidate that triggers Laurence Harvey. Angela Lansbury says it, but so do other characters (including a bartender) at different times in the movie.

83. This is actors who got both lead and supporting nominations in the same year, and it's Teresa Wright.

84. Hank Azaria
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

PanicinDetroit

#15 Post by PanicinDetroit » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:05 am

RITA HAYWORTH

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:23 am

ANNETTE BENING

ANGELINA JOLIE
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

mellytu74

#17 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:52 am

How about SYLVIA SIDNEY? We've got Les Miz, Jennie Gerheart, Dead End and Street Scene. Not sure on the others.

Should have gotten this earlier- the Gaelic and all. MAUREEN O'HARA to Ward Bond in The Quiet Man

It's definitely McCambridge. After I thought about it, I remembered reading about it and I don't think Nolan got a credit.

I think this is GLENN FORD. I remember a kerfluffle about dressing rooms on Pocketful of Miracles (Ford wanted Hope Lange next to him or something), so this might follow that .

How about PEGGY ASHCROFT?

SPRING BYINGTON?

The more I thought about it, the more I thought this has to be right - Little Women, You Can't Take it with You, ?, Heaven Can Wait, Mutiny on the Bounty

jarnon

#18 Post by jarnon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 am

franktangredi wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 pm
Three single answers with question marks are wrong. Everything else is right or includes the right answer.

1. LAUREN BACALL

RITA HAYWORTH

6. DICK POWELL

8. GLADYS COOPER

KEVIN SPACEY?

11. JOANNE WOODWARD

BARBARA O'NEIL?

13. VIRGINIA CHERRILL
14. MADONNA

SYLVIA SIDNEY?

17. ALLA NAZIMOVA

MAUREEN O'HARA

20. JOHN PAYNE

EMMA THOMPSON?

22. JOEL McCREA
23. ALICE BRADY
24. ANNE BANCROFT
25. BRIAN AHERNE
26. TERESA WRIGHT

MERCEDES McCAMBRIDGE

29. ELIZABETH ASHLEY

ANNETTE BENING

GLENN FORD

32. KATHLEEN TURNER
33. AVA GARDNER

35. GLORIA GRAHAME
36. DIANNE WIEST
37. BOBBY DARIN
38. DOROTHY McGUIRE

PEGGY ASHCROFT?

MICHAEL KEATON?

BETTY WHITE?

42. ALI McGRAW
43. MARION LORNE
44. ELLEN BURSTYN
45. JOHN AGAR
46. PHOEBE CATES

ANGELINA JOLIE

49. JERRY STILLER
50. GREER GARSON
51. RONALD REAGAN
52. RICHARD BURTON
53. MARY ASTOR

KAY KENDALL?

57. ROBERT WAGNER

ANNETTE BENING?

61. CARROLL BAKER
62. FRANK SINATRA

UNA MERKEL?

66. SAM ELLIOTT

68. BARBARA STANWYCK
69. AGNES MOREHEAD
70. ANNE RAMSEY
71. ETHEL BARRYMORE
72. SHIRLEY MacLAINE
73. STEWART GRANGER

75. LANA TURNER

77. MARJORIE RAMBEAU
78. CLARK GABLE

SPRING BYINGTON

80. TOM CRUISE
81. MARJORIE MAIN
82. MILLIE PERKINS

84. HANK AZARIA
85. IDA LUPINO

87. BARBARA RUSH
88. CLORIS LEACHMAN
89. SEAN CONNERY
90. NATALIE WOOD

SARAH JESSICA PARKER?

92. CLAIRE TREVOR

94. MALCOLM McDOWELL
95. SUZANNE PLESHETTE
96. DEBBIE REYNOLDS

BRENDA BLETHLYN?

98. LAURENCE OLIVIER
99. JENNIFER JONES

PAUL NEWMAN?
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mellytu74

#19 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:32 am

Did we have this before someplace? DAME MAY WHITTY??

franktangredi

#20 Post by franktangredi » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:37 am

Five answers with question marks are wrong. Everything else is right or includes the right answer.
jarnon wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 am
franktangredi wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 pm

1. LAUREN BACALL

RITA HAYWORTH

6. DICK POWELL

8. GLADYS COOPER

KEVIN SPACEY?

11. JOANNE WOODWARD

BARBARA O'NEIL?

13. VIRGINIA CHERRILL
14. MADONNA

SYLVIA SIDNEY?

17. ALLA NAZIMOVA

MAUREEN O'HARA

20. JOHN PAYNE

EMMA THOMPSON?

22. JOEL McCREA
23. ALICE BRADY
24. ANNE BANCROFT
25. BRIAN AHERNE
26. TERESA WRIGHT

MERCEDES McCAMBRIDGE

29. ELIZABETH ASHLEY

ANNETTE BENING

GLENN FORD

32. KATHLEEN TURNER
33. AVA GARDNER

35. GLORIA GRAHAME
36. DIANNE WIEST
37. BOBBY DARIN
38. DOROTHY McGUIRE

PEGGY ASHCROFT?

MICHAEL KEATON?

BETTY WHITE?

42. ALI McGRAW
43. MARION LORNE
44. ELLEN BURSTYN
45. JOHN AGAR
46. PHOEBE CATES

ANGELINA JOLIE

49. JERRY STILLER
50. GREER GARSON
51. RONALD REAGAN
52. RICHARD BURTON
53. MARY ASTOR

KAY KENDALL?

57. ROBERT WAGNER

ANNETTE BENING?

61. CARROLL BAKER
62. FRANK SINATRA

UNA MERKEL?

66. SAM ELLIOTT

68. BARBARA STANWYCK
69. AGNES MOREHEAD
70. ANNE RAMSEY
71. ETHEL BARRYMORE
72. SHIRLEY MacLAINE
73. STEWART GRANGER

75. LANA TURNER

77. MARJORIE RAMBEAU
78. CLARK GABLE

SPRING BYINGTON

80. TOM CRUISE
81. MARJORIE MAIN
82. MILLIE PERKINS

84. HANK AZARIA
85. IDA LUPINO

87. BARBARA RUSH
88. CLORIS LEACHMAN
89. SEAN CONNERY
90. NATALIE WOOD

SARAH JESSICA PARKER?

92. CLAIRE TREVOR

94. MALCOLM McDOWELL
95. SUZANNE PLESHETTE
96. DEBBIE REYNOLDS

BRENDA BLETHLYN?

98. LAURENCE OLIVIER
99. JENNIFER JONES

PAUL NEWMAN?

mellytu74

#21 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:37 am

Oh, gosh. This is EDNA MAY OLIVER.

Tale of Two Cities, Aunt Betsy in Copperfield and Nurse in Romeo and Juliet

mellytu74

#22 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:11 pm

MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN (Copperfield, Karenina, P&P, Conn Yankee)

mrkelley23

#23 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:54 pm

3. I think is Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. He was in Ghost Story with Fred Astaire, which is what got me started thinking about him. But I'm pretty sure he was in movies with all the others, as well.

7. was in a game of Frank's not too long ago, but I can't remember her name. Pretty famous actress, though, with some major movies to her credit. I think there were one or two big-time westerns in there.

56. is Jane Alexander in Testament. Great scene.

64. is Angela Lansbury in The Manchurian Candidate.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#24 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:42 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:54 pm
3. I think is Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. He was in Ghost Story with Fred Astaire, which is what got me started thinking about him. But I'm pretty sure he was in movies with all the others, as well.

7. was in a game of Frank's not too long ago, but I can't remember her name. Pretty famous actress, though, with some major movies to her credit. I think there were one or two big-time westerns in there.
3. Makes sense - the others are Little Caesar, Prisoner of Zenda and Gunga Din.

7. Katy Jurado?

mellytu74

#25 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:11 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:54 pm

3. Makes sense - the others are Little Caesar, Prisoner of Zenda and Gunga Din.

7. Katy Jurado?