A General Nonpartisan Political Question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

A General Nonpartisan Political Question

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:49 pm

Does anyone here base any of your votes on political ads? I don't but am curious.
Well, then

Bob Juch

Re: A General Nonpartisan Political Question

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:49 pm
Does anyone here base any of your votes on political ads? I don't but am curious.
Generally not, but I'm paying attention to Mike Bloomberg's.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:00 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Not for national offices, but I can sometimes find them a useful starting point for local offices. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:05 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:00 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Not for national offices, but I can sometimes find them a useful starting point for local offices. --Bob
I include local in my question. I still don't.
Well, then

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Not directly, but if an ad piques my interest, I'll check out the candidate's background and positions on subjects of interest to me. Same goes for statewide ballot questions. The local ones don't usually generate enough interest or affect enough voters to warrant ads.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#6 Post by kayrharris » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:32 pm

I told someone today that the TV ads need to banned. JMHO

kay
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:54 pm

kayrharris wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:32 pm
I told someone today that the TV ads need to banned. JMHO
That's a little hard to reconcile with the First Amendment. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:58 pm

I just do what the russians tell me to do. Skip the middleman.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Ritterskoop

#9 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 pm

I can't imagine a moment where I will end up voting for him, but will admit Tom Steyer's TV ad made me stop and listen. It seemed to be talking about things most people should be interested in discussing, however that ends up happening.

The local stuff we had for the NC 9th District was irritating, but nowhere near as bad as some stuff we've had. I'm thinking Hunt-Helms, like that, way back in the day.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#10 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:03 am

Steyer's ad politely said why he was different from other candidates without being nasty, which is a nice line to tiptoe. I don't think he has a snowball's chance in Hell/Iowa, but we've learned not to expect the same ole-same ole anymore, so he may stick around.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

mellytu74

#11 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:51 am

Some of the local ones - NJ Assembly and such - for the past November were so hilariously cheesy that I was entertained.

Of course, we didn't have anything larger than a township council race (mailings in abundance), so I could watch in detached amusement.

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:02 am

I watch very little tv anyway, and pay zero attention to any type of ad when I do.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jaybee

#13 Post by jaybee » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:24 pm

I'll use the ads as a baseline just to see where they claim to be on issues. Don't really put much faith in them carrying through. Ads are there to get them elected. what they do afterwards is a different story.
Jaybee

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:43 pm

I guess what I'm saying is that most ads are lying liar stuff, or bullshit fluff, by all parties. Where they stand or what they say they'll do is, well, insert a cliche. Perhaps campaign speeches are more reliable.
Well, then

AlphaDummy
Mr. Top Ten

#15 Post by AlphaDummy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Generally, I avoid them like the plague.

But, occasionally...

"Again" - Herb Brooks (as played by Kurt Russell)

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:40 pm

AlphaDummy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:51 pm
Generally, I avoid them like the plague.

But, occasionally...

:lol:
Well, then

wbtravis007

#17 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:03 pm

I think most people would say that they're rarely if ever influenced by ads of any kind.

I watch a fair bit of tv but usually record and am not quite current. Then I try remember to ff through ads.

I think that the smart money suggests that many of the people who would claim not to be influenced by ads are wrong.

I'm always open to useful information and occasionally an ad will offer that. Why not be open? Re: political ads, for example, I might be able to realize that someone I thought of favorably before might be an asshole after all.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:28 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:03 pm
I think most people would say that they're rarely if ever influenced by ads of any kind.

I watch a fair bit of tv but usually record and am not quite current. Then I try remember to ff through ads.

I think that the smart money suggests that many of the people who would claim not to be influenced by ads are wrong.

I'm always open to useful information and occasionally an ad will offer that. Why not be open? Re: political ads, for example, I might be able to realize that someone I thought of favorably before might be an asshole after all.
Actually, you make a good point about assholiness. Except it may be manipulated in an ad. More specifcally in local and state ads. National ones are bullshit in general.
Well, then

bazodee

#19 Post by bazodee » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:51 pm

The content and tone of an ad can disqualify someone in my opinion. I don't think I've been induced to vote for a person based on an ad. Might answer the question a little differently if we expanding it to referenda questions.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#20 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:02 pm

bazodee wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:51 pm
The content and tone of an ad can disqualify someone in my opinion. I don't think I've been induced to vote for a person based on an ad. Might answer the question a little differently if we expanding it to referenda questions.

I don't think I'd believe any referenda questions posed in ads. Shite chsnges.
Well, then