Trump-loving Kentucky governor loses to Democrat

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Trump-loving Kentucky governor loses to Democrat

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Raw Story wrote:On Tuesday, Kentucky voters denied GOP governor Matt Bevin a second term, electing Democratic Attorney General Andy Beshear in a furiously contested race that captured nationwide attention.

Beshear, the son of a popular former Democratic governor, spent a large part of his term as attorney general challenging Bevin’s policies, from state benefit cuts to abortion restrictions, setting up a fierce rivalry that came to a head in the gubernatorial race.

Bevin, the first Republican governor in Kentucky to preside over unified party control of the legislature, has had a controversial and bitter tenure in office, waging war against teacher pensions and picking fights with members of his own party. Polls consistently ranked him among the least popular governors in the United States, and some observers speculated the race could inform the state of play in next year’s Senate election, where Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is seeking re-election.

But while these numbers made the race close, Kentucky is an extremely conservative state, having backed President Donald Trump by nearly 30 points. To blunt his unpopularity, Bevin tied himself as closely as possible to the president, who held multiple campaign events to promote his re-election including a rally the night before the election.

The result is a massive defeat for Republicans — and a serious humiliation for Trump.
"Here's the story," Trump told thousands of supporters ahead of Tuesday's election. "If you win, they are going to make it like, ho hum. And if you lose, they are going to say Trump suffered the greatest defeat in the history of the world. You can't let that happen to me!"
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

Re: Trump-loving Kentucky governor loses to Democrat

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:57 pm

Democrats will control all three branches of government in Virginia.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 am

Not to put too much of a damper on the victory parade, but the election wasn't so much a triumph of the Democratic Party as it was a repudiation of a loathsome governor. Trump is still very popular in Kentucky and will probably win the state by 30-40%. Moreover, Republicans swept the other statewide races and still control both houses of the legislature, so anything that the new governor may propose will probably be DOA. Not only that, but as attorney-general, Beshear challenged Bevin repeatedly in the courts; the new attorney-general, a protégé of Mitch McConnell, will likely do the same. It may be my cynicism showing, but although the governor's race is a brief shining moment, it won't really matter a hill of beans in the end.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:32 am

Hey, but Sean Spicer is still dancing!!
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:45 am

earendel wrote:Not to put too much of a damper on the victory parade, but the election wasn't so much a triumph of the Democratic Party as it was a repudiation of a loathsome governor. Trump is still very popular in Kentucky and will probably win the state by 30-40%. Moreover, Republicans swept the other statewide races and still control both houses of the legislature, so anything that the new governor may propose will probably be DOA. Not only that, but as attorney-general, Beshear challenged Bevin repeatedly in the courts; the new attorney-general, a protégé of Mitch McConnell, will likely do the same. It may be my cynicism showing, but although the governor's race is a brief shining moment, it won't really matter a hill of beans in the end.
There was a lot more to the Democratic victory last night than KY and VA. There were local elections in PA, and many of the Philadelphia suburbs, which had been under Republican rule since the Civil War, went Democratic in a big way this time.

I have a feeling that when the news networks go looking for "swing" voters to get quotes like Bob just mentioned, they go to rural areas where the residents are still supporting Trump. They should be looking at those in the suburbs who voted for one Republican after another for generations and have now abandoned Trump.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:55 pm

I've got a question for Ear as our resident Kentucky expert. I've seen it reported that Bevin can contest the election and, if so, the KY legislature (dominated by Republicans), would determine the winner. This raises questions as to whether Bevin could claim some vague sort of voting irregularities and then have a partisan vote of the legislature return him to office. Is this a realistic scenario?

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 174103002/

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:56 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:I've got a question for Ear as our resident Kentucky expert. I've seen it reported that Bevin can contest the election and, if so, the KY legislature (dominated by Republicans), would determine the winner. This raises questions as to whether Bevin could claim some vague sort of voting irregularities and then have a partisan vote of the legislature return him to office. Is this a realistic scenario?

More here:
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 172935002/

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:09 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:I've got a question for Ear as our resident Kentucky expert. I've seen it reported that Bevin can contest the election and, if so, the KY legislature (dominated by Republicans), would determine the winner. This raises questions as to whether Bevin could claim some vague sort of voting irregularities and then have a partisan vote of the legislature return him to office. Is this a realistic scenario?

As the article says, Bevin would need to seek a re-canvass and possibly a recount. If he chooses to challenge the result he has to provide cause, such as ballot irregularities or campaign finance violations. So, yes, it's possible that Bevin might try this. But I don't think the re-canvass or recount would change things enough, and I doubt he could make any challenges stand up. That said, since Republicans do control both houses of the legislature, the election outcome could be reversed.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:12 pm

For the first time in nearly 40 years, Democrats have taken control of Columbus, Indiana—the hometown of Vice President Mike Pence.

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-pence-col ... ium=Social

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Democrats will control all three branches of government in Virginia.

And ooh, isn't Morrissey someone Virginia can be proud of electing!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Appa23

#11 Post by Appa23 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:56 pm

Bob Juch wrote:For the first time in nearly 40 years, Democrats have taken control of Columbus, Indiana—the hometown of Vice President Mike Pence.

Here's how Nebraskan I am -- the biggest shock to me is that city council is a partisan position. Around here, mayor, city council, even the state legislature is non-partisan. [Many of the county positions are partisan, however.)

mrkelley23

#12 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:52 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:For the first time in nearly 40 years, Democrats have taken control of Columbus, Indiana—the hometown of Vice President Mike Pence.

Here's how Nebraskan I am -- the biggest shock to me is that city council is a partisan position. Around here, mayor, city council, even the state legislature is non-partisan. [Many of the county positions are partisan, however.)
I attended a recent trivia fundraiser put on by the bar association here, and was sitting at the table with an at-large city council candidate. The man who invited me is a former student and fairly prominent Republican (but never-Trumper -- he gave up his elector status in Indiana rather than vote for him), but the candidate ran as a Democrat. I expressed my wish that all City Council candidates could run as non-partisan candidates, and got hearty agreement at the table. But in her case, she may have won her race because of her party affiliation. The Democrats turned out in much higher numbers than the Republicans (maybe because of political climate, but more likely because our Republican mayor was unopposed by a Democrat) and our City Council went from a 4-3-2 alignment (2 independents) to 7-2 Democrats.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:56 pm

earendel wrote:

As the article says, Bevin would need to seek a re-canvass and possibly a recount. If he chooses to challenge the result he has to provide cause, such as ballot irregularities or campaign finance violations. So, yes, it's possible that Bevin might try this. But I don't think the re-canvass or recount would change things enough, and I doubt he could make any challenges stand up. That said, since Republicans do control both houses of the legislature, the election outcome could be reversed.
A followup:

Senate president Stivers now says that Bevin should concede if the current recanvass doesn't change the vote totals. Apparently, public reaction to the initial suggestion of bringing before the General Assembly was extremely negative. That's a typical Trumpian tactic. Float something extremely outrageous to see what happens and then claim you were just kidding when you back down in the face of criticism.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 530822001/

Vandal
Director of Promos

#14 Post by Vandal » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:34 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Hey, but Sean Spicer is still dancing!!
Not no more, he ain't!
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:34 pm

Bevin has conceded. Andy Beshear will be Kentucky's next governor. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#16 Post by jarnon » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:26 pm

Raw Story wrote:Polls consistently ranked him among the least popular governors in the United States.
This parting shot will decrease Bevin's popularity to below zero.

Bevin pardons a KY man convicted of beheading a woman and stuffing her in a barrel
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

kroxquo

#17 Post by kroxquo » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:26 am

jarnon wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:26 pm
Raw Story wrote:Polls consistently ranked him among the least popular governors in the United States.
This parting shot will decrease Bevin's popularity to below zero.

Bevin pardons a KY man convicted of beheading a woman and stuffing her in a barrel
And I'm sure that the fact that Andy Bashear, the man who defeated him for Governor, was previously the Commonwealth's Attorney General and as such ultimately in charge of prosecutions had nothing to do with all the controversial pardons.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:39 am

Looks like Kentuckians aren't the only ones upset with Matt Bevin's last-minute pardons, including the brother of a man who hosted a big fundraiser for Bevin. The brother had served two years of a 19-year sentence for killing a man in front of his family during a robbery.

The FBI is asking questions about former Gov. Matt Bevin's pardons