My New Celebrity Crush

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

My New Celebrity Crush

#1 Post by Spock » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Angie Mar

Runs a very expensive carnivore friendly restaurant in NYC called The Beatrice Inn.

https://thebeatriceinn.com/press/

The Food and Wine (which I subscribe too) story on her had a story of her hunting ducks in Arkansas.

As you can see from the pic-she is carrying a flock of dead ducks.

Food and Wine had that picture as a full-page pic-but not only that-better yet-was the full page pic across from it of one of her duck dishes and I like the pic of the duck dish better.

She praises duck throughout the article and I am a fan of duck. Probably the bestest meat there is.

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: My New Celebrity Crush

#2 Post by Estonut » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:02 am

Spock wrote:Angie Mar

Runs a very expensive carnivore friendly restaurant in NYC called The Beatrice Inn.

https://thebeatriceinn.com/press/

The Food and Wine (which I subscribe too) story on her had a story of her hunting ducks in Arkansas.

As you can see from the pic-she is carrying a flock of dead ducks.

Food and Wine had that picture as a full-page pic-but not only that-better yet-was the full page pic across from it of one of her duck dishes and I like the pic of the duck dish better.

She praises duck throughout the article and I am a fan of duck. Probably the bestest meat there is.
She won a "Chopped: Grill Masters" tournament a few years ago.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

christie1111
11:11

#3 Post by christie1111 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:53 pm

I looked for duck breast this weekend to no avail.

Went 3 places. At Whole Foods (thought it was a good possibility) the meat guys said someone came in the day before and bought a whole case. Hey Dude! Special order it so there are some left for me to make a Duck and Orange salad (Jaime Oliver) for Sunday dinner. Sheesh!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:36 pm

christie1111 wrote:I looked for duck breast this weekend to no avail.

Went 3 places. At Whole Foods (thought it was a good possibility) the meat guys said someone came in the day before and bought a whole case. Hey Dude! Special order it so there are some left for me to make a Duck and Orange salad (Jaime Oliver) for Sunday dinner. Sheesh!
My aunt loves duck, so I try to make some whenever I fire up the smoker. I have a few options:

1) Jon's Marketplace usually has frozen whole duck. I think that's a regional store, though.

2) Do you have an Aldi's nearby? We just got one last year and they usually have frozen whole duck in the low freezer cases. I've never noticed it at their related store, Trader Joe's.

3) After I last used the smoker, I found out that the local full-service butcher/deli also has duck. I believe they sell parts, too, but haven't called to verify yet.

4) While looking for duck breasts last time, I found that a local Asian place specializes in chicken, but also has duck. I understand that the chicken is really fresh, as it is "kill to order." I don't know about the duck. I think most of our Asian butchers/delis/meat shops sell duck.

I will definitely check out the last 2 options before I load up the smoker next time. I have no problems breaking down a chicken or a turkey, or spatchcocking either, but ducks are way, way different. I'd like to try just the breast and, possibly, legs. There isn't much thigh to speak of.
Groucho Marx

christie1111
11:11

#5 Post by christie1111 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Thanks Estonut. I was only looking for the breast portion.

Trader Joe's says they do not regularly carry it. My local grocery store sometimes does but the butcher says it is usually more seasonal and they will probably have it closer to Thanksgiving.

Next place I try will be Food Bazaar. Very eclectic store with a lot of Asian/Hispanic customers. I am pretty sure they would have it but it was in the opposite direction of Whole Foods and Penn State was going to be playing in a little while so I went back to home base.

Food Bazaar is fun. Huge fish section with lots of fish, many of them whole, that I never heard of. And they have some really interesting fruits/vegetables. Chinese long beans and you can even get durian. I'll skip that one!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:26 pm

christie1111 wrote:Next place I try will be Food Bazaar. Very eclectic store with a lot of Asian/Hispanic customers. I am pretty sure they would have it but it was in the opposite direction of Whole Foods and Penn State was going to be playing in a little while so I went back to home base.

Food Bazaar is fun. Huge fish section with lots of fish, many of them whole, that I never heard of. And they have some really interesting fruits/vegetables. Chinese long beans and you can even get durian. I'll skip that one!
We have a lot of markets that sound like Food Bazaar (some could just as well be called "Food Bizarre"). In addition to all the fish that you describe, some stores have tanks with live fish ready for sale. Can't get much fresher than that.

A few also have cooked chickens and ducks hanging from above with the heads still attached. It always reminds me of "A Christmas Story!"
Groucho Marx

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:13 pm

As far as a duck supply-you could always check out the local pond-LOL.

Mrs Spock makes very good duck- as a teriyaki/rice type combo thing.

Littlest Spock's group of friends is big on duck and goose hunting He brought a couple of breasts home the other day and I cut them into little pieces and fried them in olive oil. Very good, If I say so myself It was all I could do to save him a few pieces.