Congrats to Justin Trudeau

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
a1mamacat

Congrats to Justin Trudeau

#1 Post by a1mamacat » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:16 pm

and well done Canada to send a strong message to him, while maintaining our progressive views.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Bob Juch

Re: Congrats to Justin Trudeau

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:18 am

a1mamacat wrote:and well done Canada to send a strong message to him, while maintaining our progressive views.
He doesn't have a majority though. He's going to have to form a coalition.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

a1mamacat

#3 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:41 am

Bob Juch wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:and well done Canada to send a strong message to him, while maintaining our progressive views.
Incorrect. The minority will have to tread lightly on many issues, but doesn't need a coalition. They will just not be able to ram through any changes without taking into consideration the views of the other parties. That was the message we sent.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:29 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Incorrect. The minority will have to tread lightly on many issues, but doesn't need a coalition. They will just not be able to ram through any changes without taking into consideration the views of the other parties. That was the message we sent.
Would you mind elaborating? I will confess to a lack of knowledge about precisely how Canada's parliamentary system works, and I am curious. Can the other parties "gang up" and end the government via some sort of vote of no confidence? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

a1mamacat

#5 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: He doesn't have a majority though. He's going to have to form a coalition.
Would you mind elaborating? I will confess to a lack of knowledge about precisely how Canada's parliamentary system works, and I am curious. Can the other parties "gang up" and end the government via some sort of vote of no confidence? --Bob
Yes, they could. The total number of seats is 338, and the Liberals won 157. So if two or more of the other parties voted as a block, they could force a non confidence motion. That would be unlikely for a couple of years, as two of the other parties visions align with the Liberals right now.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:56 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
Yes, they could. The total number of seats is 338, and the Liberals won 157. So if two or more of the other parties voted as a block, they could force a non confidence motion. That would be unlikely for a couple of years, as two of the other parties visions align with the Liberals right now.
I guess I'm not understanding the difference between the state of affairs that you're describing and a coalition to form a government. Would you mind educating me? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

a1mamacat

#7 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Would you mind elaborating? I will confess to a lack of knowledge about precisely how Canada's parliamentary system works, and I am curious. Can the other parties "gang up" and end the government via some sort of vote of no confidence? --Bob
I guess I'm not understanding the difference between the state of affairs that you're describing and a coalition to form a government. Would you mind educating me? --Bob
In a coalition, the minority government would make an arrangement with one of the other parties holding a balance of power. This could include naming some of the third party members to cabinet posts, or committees. It is more formal than simply the third party and the minority agreeing to support each other in votes.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:28 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
In a coalition, the minority government would make an arrangement with one of the other parties holding a balance of power. This could include naming some of the third party members to cabinet posts, or committees. It is more formal than simply the third party and the minority agreeing to support each other in votes.
Thanks. I learned something today. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:32 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I guess I'm not understanding the difference between the state of affairs that you're describing and a coalition to form a government. Would you mind educating me? --Bob
Who actually cares?
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:35 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
Who actually cares?
That I learned something? I thought it was polite to thank Saucy for taking the time to satisfy my curiosity by letting her know that her efforts made a difference.

About the government of Canada? Most Canadians, I would hope, and a fair number of people here as well. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:40 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Thanks. I learned something today. --Bob
Who actually cares?
That I learned something? I thought it was polite to thank Saucy for taking the time to satisfy my curiosity by letting her know that her efforts made a difference.

About the government of Canada? Most Canadians, I would hope, and a fair number of people here as well. --Bob
Again blahblablah
Well, then

a1mamacat

#12 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
Who actually cares?
You dissin me or Bob?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Who actually cares?

Again blahblablah
No one is forcing you to read our exchange. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:44 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Thanks. I learned something today. --Bob
Who actually cares?
You dissin me or Bob?
Both
Well, then

a1mamacat

#15 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Who actually cares?
You dissin me or Bob?
Both
So who pee'd in your Corn Flakes today? I know you get all hoity toity with the Bobs, but I don't recall doing anything to set you off?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:07 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
You dissin me or Bob?
Both
So who pee'd in your Corn Flakes today? I know you get all hoity toity with the Bobs, but I don't recall doing anything to set you off?
You're right. As I said who cares. Gotta watch Astros.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#17 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:17 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Both
Plus you do your own crud about the pres, conservatives, and whatever so, Deal.
Well, then

a1mamacat

#18 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:22 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
Ahh, but I do it because I DO care. Now if you had gone after the Blackface/brownface sheit, we could have had some fun, or not because I think he should be smacked upside his head about it. All I was doing was explaining procedures that Bob asked about. Like me asking several years ago about how the electoral college works.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#19 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:27 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote: You're right. As I said who cares. Gotta watch Astros.
Ahh, but I do it because I DO care. Now if you had gone after the Blackface/brownface sheit, we could have had some fun, or not because I think he should be smacked upside his head about it. All I was doing was explaining procedures that Bob asked about. Like me asking several years ago about how the electoral college works.
No. Sadly
Well, then

a1mamacat

#20 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
Beebs52 wrote: Plus you do your own crud about the pres, conservatives, and whatever so, Deal.
No. Sadly
Well okay then, bless your heart anyway... :roll:

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#21 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:41 pm

I have to watch Astros. But here's the thing. Don't know anyone who did any sort of blackface in the day. And I'm 67. Regardless, maybe he was drunk. Who knows. No one normal did that, but, we all did shit in the day. Thank god for no phones.
Well, then

a1mamacat

#22 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:34 pm

Beebs52 wrote:I have to watch Astros. But here's the thing. Don't know anyone who did any sort of blackface in the day. And I'm 67. Regardless, maybe he was drunk. Who knows. No one normal did that, but, we all did shit in the day. Thank god for no phones.
Amen Sister!

He was stupid and did stupid things. I know that I was on occasion, dressed in a fringed dress with pigtails, and facepaint, and am so glad that no photographic record remains. :oops:

I think he is on his last "mulligan" and any further revelations will see him ousted.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:38 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:I have to watch Astros. But here's the thing. Don't know anyone who did any sort of blackface in the day. And I'm 67. Regardless, maybe he was drunk. Who knows. No one normal did that, but, we all did shit in the day. Thank god for no phones.
Amen Sister!

He was stupid and did stupid things. I know that I was on occasion, dressed in a fringed dress with pigtails, and facepaint, and am so glad that no photographic record remains. :oops:

I think he is on his last "mulligan" and any further revelations will see him ousted.
Bless all our hearts.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#24 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:45 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:
You dissin me or Bob?
Both
Remember she's a member of the "America First, we don't give a shit about the rest of the world party."
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#25 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am

Ya'll are just adorable.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire